[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Low_i_could_live_in_hope.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Low_i_could_live_in_hope.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
Today, I listened to this album the fourth time. It still doesn't click. Why does it get so much praise?
>>
I'm sure someone could explain why it sucks and you'll end up liking the band.
>>
I don't like it much either. Listen to Things We Lost in the Fire, you might like that.
>>
>>66403936

Gotta be in the right mood for Low. I love them personally. They have better albums than ICLIH though.
>>
>>66403936
good song writing and an overwhelming sense of sadness despite falling for emo / post-hardcore tropes
>>
I feel like it's overrated as far as slowcore goes, personally I think their sound isn't engaging enough to justify the sparse arrangements, it just sounds like very skeletal indie rock.
If you're just getting into the genre be sure to check out Red House Painters, Duster, and Codeine though
>>
>>66403976
I know...
It just sounded so bland. The vocals really aren't dynamical and the lyrics are cringy.
>>
The only good track on the album is Lullaby, and it's just a worse version of Indian Summer's Angry Son
>>
>>66404051
Thanks. I love Duster - Stratosphere. I'll check the rest.
>>
>>66404128
And ignore my rec. Whatever man.
>>
>>66404156
not even that anon but what was that about ?? he said he'd check your recs
>>
>>66404156
Were you the guy who recommended Things we lost in the fire?
sorry dude. I'll check your recc as well :D
>>
>>66404156
I can just tell how a text conversation would go with you
>>
>>66404156
You Mad Bro Ahaha
>>
>>66404065
Well that's clearly not what people listen to it for, and those aren't very good criticisms to begin with.
>>
It's one of my favorite albums but yeah it's honestly only really effective at certain times.

I can understand how it might seem bland to some but honestly once you experience it while in some beaten down depressive state of self loathing then everything about the album makes complete sense. Yes it's slow and sparse and seemingly unremarkable but that's all very much intentional and is really the only way you can accurately put that mood to tape. I love tons of slowcore and as a whole I'd say something like RHP is better, but how much I Could Live In Hope commits to that understated yet still somehow overwhelming sense of despair is pretty amazing.

I'd check out Things We Lost In The Fire though, that ones a good bit more immediately approachable. If you want more then The Curtain Hits the Cast is probably a good middle ground between the two.
>>
>>66404031
>emo / post-hardcore

wut
>>
>>66404105

How can you be so fucking wrong, holy shit
>>
A lot of slowcore's sound centers around depression. It's like "Deathconciousness" by HANL, you might like it but to fully "get" it you just kind of have to be depressed.

Most people might disagree but I didn't really understand this type of thing till I went through a phase of crippling depression and REALLY got into slowcore (and HANL)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.