[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shout out to college courses on popular music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
shout out to college courses on popular music
>>
>meme course is a meme
Color me surprised.
>>
Music appreciation is a bretty good class, music history is cool and I learned lots of stuff that I will review for this thread and regurgitate like u are little babie birds
>>
>>66394015
>college courses are easy and shit
wow
>>
*ahem*

Intro to music apreciation: Bob dylan is greatest rapper alive suck my dick if you think the beatles are good
>>
If The Beatles ever appear on that assignment make sure you paste the entire pasta and award it with s 9.9/10
>>
>>66394015
>Riveting

The most meme word to use in a review
>>
Alright, so not does the type of melody influence the emotional response in a person. Like, minor scales create sad feelings, or can create suspense like "Did dat nigga really miss a key?" then bam hit em wit dat harmony son. Alright, so other emotions too but you get the gist. The Contour of a melody also influences the emotional response of a listener. Like, if you go from a low note, then gradually raise the pitch note by note then hit em with like a huge shift up in pitch it adds a bit of emphisis ya know? dat boom, da sauce. Or the same effect in the opposite directuion can produce the same thing like hitten em with that low pitched "Uh" type shit ya kno. or it can show deep emotions. basically, shifting pitch down rapidly and darasticly can cause darastic sort of emotional response. Okay. Also, fading the melody back to center in a way, ya know? Can create a feeling of calming down.

What else do we got here. I'm sort of stuck.
>>
I'm trying to figure out this Tonic/dominate shit and put into my own words, I don't really get it
>>
>>66394225
Tonic is the home, the goal. The dominant is the push that hurdles you towards the goal.
>>
>>66394245
Yeah, but what does that meaaaaan, like, how can I hear an example?
>>
>>66394245
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3tQaDEfak8

Okay I get it, Tonic is the first note that's started with, then it then the dominate is like the half way point. Then when they get back to the dominate it sounds nice because it's the exact same note from eairlyer only an octave higher, so our brain is all like "Oh shit yes, repetition, I like that' like a 4 year old lol.
>>
>>66394278
I'm gunna see if the same thing works if rather than starting on c you start on d, and just play around with it a bit.
>>
>>66394253
Listen to the first movement of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 5.
The orchestra plays 3 chords interspersed by piano cascades: tonic, predominant, dominant. You should feel a pull on the third chord.
>>
>>66394295
I'll try that after I type this. But on the piano if I simply play from the dominate to the tonic, it really does feel like it should go somewhere after that but it doesn't. It sounds so much better if it ends on the tonic, just, more pleasing.

The same effect works if I start on D rather than C, is that the D major scale? I still don't know major scales, it all just, "Start on X, end an octave up on that same X?"
>>
>>66394295
Also, what is the subdominate for? I mean, is there any purpose for the dominate and subdominate? Are they like, the most yearny looking for dominate notes? I could play around and see but I'm gunna try your example for fun.
>>
>>66394278
Erm, not quite. Review what an octave means bc your wording is a bit confusing. You could think of the dominant (not dominate) as a halfway point or whatever, it just wants to lead back to the tonic.
>>66394292
Yeah it works in all keys, just remember to get the key signature right (just look that one up if you haven't done so already, I don't have the energy to explain)
>>
>>66394340
Subdominant is kinda like a middle step to the dominant. It doesn't exactly need to lead there (depending on context, it could lead to the dominant or not) but you can think of it as harmonic filling.
>>
>>66394341
U wut m8. How is C to the next C not an octave? What is life?

That's the two tonics in the scale, right?
>>
>>66394375
Ah sorry it is, you just worded the sentence weirdly? Idk lol I thought you were talking C to G
>>
>>66394392
No good sir! I most certainly was talking C to C *Farts in your general direction*

-Glomps-

I don't hear shit in this bethovehn but I'm a mega pleb so that'd make sense right? Cool piece though. Maybe I'll get it if re-listen a couple times
>>
>>66394419
It comes with exposure. Listen to a lot of classical music and you develop an ear for certain progressions.
>>
>>66394443
Neato. I'm gunna do some more reading about this tonic subdominate stuff in a bit I'm a bit bored
>>
>>66394015
oh shit I did that once
teacher was cool as shit and class was alright but the book was pretty dumb in places, had a picture in the preface that called beiber and lady gaga songwriters
>>
>>66394325
Well yes, it does sound better when it ends on tonic, tonic is home. Dominant has the highest need to resolve to somewhere (to tonic), subdominant has the second highest need.

Btw you have a lot to learn, check out teoria.com and musictheory.net.
>>
>>66394455
Look up key areas and the chord types that follow in each area as well. I'll give ya a short run down because I have nothing better to do.
So in a progression a series of chords can be in the tonic area, predominant area, or the dominant area (very generally speaking here) and it goes like this: Tonic-Predominant-Dominant-Tonic
Note that predominant and subdominant are alike but different. Subdominant is the IV chord (so F in C major) but the predominant area is the one or more chords that make the piece want to move to the dominant area (and then eventually the tonic)
Also important is the fact that IV and V chords, while commonly making up the predominant and dominant areas respectively, can be a part of the tonic area as well. This relies on context of the piece as well as your ears to descern what's going on.

In a progression like
I-IV-I-V-I-IV-V-I
The first 5 chords make up the tonic area because it's sandwiched between tonic chords, the second IV makes up the predominant and the second V chord makes up the dominant. And then tonic again.
>>
>>66394503
random person dropping by. I took music theory for a while from grade-high school, but I want to learn more. I was wondering where exactly to begin with Teoria because it seems like a cool site.
>>
>>66394419
Fug you sforzando man, I know it's you trolling.
>>/comp/
>>
File: 24234234u27237327.jpg (53 KB, 500x690) Image search: [Google]
24234234u27237327.jpg
53 KB, 500x690
>>66394480
From my book

YOUR TURN TO EXPLORE

Listen again to Dylan's Mr Tambourine man, Focusing on his different vocal timbres. Dylan has unique and very recognizable vocal timbre that has been described as nasal, rough, or even like sandpaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7smLPz2GY
>>
>>66394524
I'm deko hailing from the great kingdom of bleep
>>
>>66394514
I should also note that the predominant area usually consists of ii and IV. So you could have either a ii chord or a IV chord (or both if your heart desires) before the dominant and it'll sound just as nice.
>>
Do you guys play your music in public? I would but I don't think I'm anybody honestly. I might be somebody someday, and maybe I'll try to start doing performances. But I'm not really sure
>>
>>66394517
I guess it depends where is your knowledge at the moment. There is theory stuff and listening and recognizing stuff. I personally use it primarily for ear training.
>>
>>66394559
Perhaps join an ensemble? I've been a part of a wind ensemble from grade school to college
>>
>>66394529
Man I should get one of these books for the keks
>>
>>66394580
Why not just play in public? I don't think I'm all that bad
>>
>>66394073
you're not going to get hired for learning music history lol
>>
>>66394529
haha sounds like my book
our book had us listen to shit from The Twist to Psycho Killer to Madonna to Hey Ya to Bodysnatchers
>>
>>66394627
Like on the street? In that case, I doubt anyone would care because you're probably better than that homeless guy banging a makeshift drum.
>>
>>66394644
I had to listen to Madonna too, wasn't bad, actually sort of good
>>
>>66394659
Thanks, I didn't want to disrespect the silence that serves the foundation of creativity.
>>
>>66394225
V --> I
>>
>>66394643
You've never been to college have you.
>>
>>66394643
I think that learning music history helps me become a better musician, but that's just me
>>
File: 1461613637775.png (785 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1461613637775.png
785 KB, 960x960
Do > ti la > sol fa > mi re > do '
C D E F G A B C
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

The arrows are about the following relationships.

"Within each major scale are certain relationships based on tension and resolution. One of the most important is the thrust of the seventh pitch to the eighth. (ti resolving to do). Similarly, we feel resolution when re moves to do; fa gravitates to mi; and la descends to sol. You can hear some of these relationships at work in the beginning of the well known carol Joy to the World. It starts onthe tonic note (do) ("Joy") , then descends and pauses on the dominate note (sol) ("world), after which it continues downward, feeling a strong pull to the final do"

time to play around with it some
>>
I took a rock history class as a bullshit class I needed to graduate with and it was pretty fun. My only major complaint is it became shit post Nirvana. Instead of showing good bands it was mostly pop shit like Backstreet Boys and Nickelback. Way to make everyone think music has gone to shit.
>>
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 246x205
>>66395606
YOUR TURN TO EXPLORE

Listen to Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit. In addition to soft and loud sections, there are contrasting moments of consonance (In the solo verses) and dissonance (in the choruses and instrumental sections.) How does consonance relive the tension in this song? Choose another song you like, and listen for moments of tension or instability through dissonance, and release through consonance.
>>
>>66395606
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.