[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swans at Shank Hall Report
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (700 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.png
700 KB, 1920x1080
>Michael Gira did cut the air conditioning, but it came on an hour later.
>The show was completely full.
>Amnesia has been cut from the set.
>Bring the Sun has been entirely removed from the Glowing Man.
>Which was fucking lit btw.
>The World Looks Black was improvised into something completely new with completely different vocals.
>It was fantastic.

Who was there? Thoughts?
>>
So it was most of The Glowing Man?
did he yell at anyone for headbanging?
>>
setlist?
>>
>>66393121
No, he looked menacingly at some people dancing and convulsing towards the end though.
>>66393150
No Words No Thoughts/ A new jam with new lyrics
Screenshot
Cloud of Forgetting
Cloud of Unknowing
Some Things We Do/"something new entirely"
The Glowing Man
>>
Swans were phenomenal, opener was fantastic, and got a handshake from Gira who seems like one of the chillest dudes.
>>
>>66393281
What did the new things sound like?
>>
Swans are playing here (Minneapolis) tomorrow... tickets are $25, worth it?

I actually haven't heard The Glowing Man yet so any of that material would be new to me.
>>
>They aren't coming to Florida.

Kms
>>
>>66393380
The first thing was like an extended version of No Words, can't really tell you because I was still getting my bearings in the sea of noise.They started playing the World Looks Black in a way that was much more agressive than on record, and Gira started shouting gibberish.

>>66393342
I kinda regret not sticking around, but I wasn't going to wait fifteen minutes in order to waste someone's time by just being star struck in their presence.
>>
>>66393410
Hell yeah
>>
>>66393465
I figure this may be the last Swans tour for a while and I definitely wasn't going to miss the opportunity to tell him I appreciate all his work.
>>66393410
Definitely
>>
How laud was it? Is it safe for tinnitus?
>>
>>66393281
>michael gira will never look at you menacingly
>>
>>66393734
super fucking loud. Took my earplugs out a couple times to really get a feel for it and god damn
>>
>>66393784
guys please don't do this, you're putting your hearing at risk
>>
>>66393823
I had them out for a minute or two each time
>>
>>66393465
>They started playing the World Looks Black in a way that was much more agressive than on record, and Gira started shouting gibberish.
C-could this be a preview of the new type of music that Swans will produce?
Describe the new track better.
>>
>>66394139
I don't think it says much, desu anon. If you listen to The Gate, you'll find that all songs that ended up on The Glowing Man were played more aggressive and loud live.
>>
>>66393858
I've read that this is actually worse than doing a full show without them, because that way your ears get to adapt. Putting earplugs in and out just fucks hard with your eardrums. Don't do it in future shows unless you wanna damage your hearing.
>>
>>66392848

what constitutes headbanging? Nodding your head to the beat or the stereotypical metal head banging.
>>
>>66392848
Seein em live in chicago saturday, does he sign merch? Dont wanna bring my 3 swans vinyls like an autist if they dont get signed
>>
>>66396353
He doesn't go after headbangers anymore, only moshers and fimers nowadays.
>>
>>66396753
fimers?
>>
>>66396455
Yeah, picked up the deluxe CD of the glowing man and got it signed
>>
I was there. It was great. I wouldn't say it was packed but there was a pretty good turnout for a Wednesday night.
>>
Big thanks to the dudes telling the douches to shut up during Okkyung's set.
>>
>>66396805
*filmers
>>
Did Okkyung play with them on Cloud of Unknowing?
>>
>>66399693
No, sadly.

She was watching the show and getting really into it, though.
>>
>>66399621
he asks them to stop filming at the beginning of the show
>>
>>66393437
feel u senpai. driving to ATL to catch em
>>
>>66400793
It must suck to live in the USA. Huge distances everywhere. I live in Central-Europe and everything is so close to each other.
>>
File: 108224322351.png (126 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
108224322351.png
126 KB, 399x388
>>66400793
>Swans are in ATL in july
>and in Texas in september

>tfw I live in Texas and go to college in Atlanta
>tfw am in Texas when they're in Atlanta and in Atlanta when they're in Texas
>>
>>66400908
That's some shit anon
>>
>no Finland date
t-they're n-not going to quit yet r-right?
>>
>>66400908
Well... M-maybe you c-can find a way...
>>
>>66394139
>>66401142
>>66401409
W-why a-are y-you t-talking l-like t-this ?
>>
I'm upset they're not doing Bring the Sun anymore, that's one of my favorite parts of the album.
Still excited though. I'm surprised that completely new material had already developed.
>>
trying to find a way to justify traveling 9 hours to Colorado and spending money on a hotel room, after being unemployed almost this entire year. i sustained a pretty serious injury that is still affecting me 3 months after it happened, could I use that as an excuse to go on a "life reaffirming journey".
>>
>>66401438
because I'm really fucking scared that I will never see Swans play live
might actually ask them on FB if they're going to be doing any touring in the Nordics or Eastern Yurop
>>
File: swans_st_andrews.jpg (309 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
swans_st_andrews.jpg
309 KB, 2048x1536
I saw them at St. Andrews Hall and was lucky enough to be at the very front directly in front of Michael Gira.

They didn't play Amnesia there either, which I thought was odd. I'm not sure why they're not playing it anymore. Overall, an amazing show.
>>
>>66402286
When you have nothing to lose you have everything to win :^)
>>
>>66393734

I can't advise this enough, WEAR EARPLUGS.

If you have tinnitus, wear very heavy duty ones. I had etymotic research ones in, and it still sounded super fucking loud.
>>
>>66396753

Define headbanging. I was directly in front of him and bobbed my head to the beat of the music and he never gave me any dirty looks. Do you specifically mean like full-on metalhead headbanging?
>>
Going to see them in Cleveland this monday, any advice (other than the obvious earplugs)
>>
>>66402655

A lot of people at St. Andrews didn't immediately rush to the stage, so if you want to get to the very front you can easily as long as you're there when doors open. Not sure if your city will be the same though.

Also, Michael Gira is at the merch booth after the concert, so get your stuff as you leave.
>>
>>66402697
same thing occured when i saw them a couple years ago, its like people were afraid to stand up front.
>>
>>66402754

I'm not really sure why. As long as you don't do anything stupid I don't see why it's an issue. Christoph Hahn looked over at me a lot, but Michael Gira never really looked down at anyone in the very front.

I had a huge grin on my face through most of it just from being elated from being there.
>>
>>66402803
>Christoph Hahn looked over at me a lot

he wanted to fug
>>
>>66402803
yeah since nobody was filling the space, I got right under Michael, even snapped cell phones pics like a faggot, and he didn't care, Phil Puleo and me had a few strange sustained moments of eye contact that ended with both of us looking at the floor each time.
>>
>>66402697
Yeah, I got my stuff before the show. Huge mistake.
>>
>>66392848
Oh, I was the weird kid at the edge of the bar next to the merch table with the Chelsea Wolfe shirt on.
>>
>>66403135

lol, the one in the other thread that was saying he was worried about how he was dressed?
>>
>>66402697
Personally I always snag shirts before hand just to make sure they don't run out (toss it over the shoulder which is no big deal). Definitely grab any media later.
>>
>>66403250
Yes, but the past is the past. I concur that that person was a little bitch.
>>
I saw them in detroit. Bring the sun wasn't completely cut, they played the chords a couple times then moved right into The Glowing Man, which is incredible live
>>66402655
don't mosh, don't try to record on your phone
>>
>>66402803
I definitely got a look from Hahn when Screen Shot started
>>
How expensive is the merch at the shows?
>>
did he rape anyone
>>
>>66403731
Shirts were 20 bucks, cd's were 15, records were 25
>>
>>66403731
Shirts were $20 and CDs were $10 last time I saw them, not sure about records. I'll probably get The Glowing Man and SFTB on CD and have Mr Swans sign them after I spaghetti in front of him.
>>
>>66393121
I'm new to Gira.
Why does he not like headbanging or earplugs?
>>
>>66403992
headbanging is too plebeian to be done at a swans concert
he's fine with earplugs
>>
>>66403731
Shirts $20, Vinyl was around $30, CD's ranged from $15 to $20 depending if it was fancy deluxe stuff
>>
I don't get it so how are you supposed to move when the heavier posts come in? What's "acceptable" to Gira?
>>
>>66404754
do what the fuck you want
>>
>>66404754
"Acceptable" would be anything that doesn't involve ramming into anybody or whipping your hair into people's mouths
>>
>>66404754
>>66404918

That guy is right, there were a few guys completely going apeshit during the Glowing Man, and Gira was okay with it because they weren't hitting each other.

No violence, no filming, everything else is pretty much okay.
>>
>>66405252
I honestly don't know how people were standing still during Glowing Man
>>
>>66400793
doing the exact same thing with some buddies of mine
>>
I guess this is a decent place to ask, getting into Swans, where's a good place to start?
>>
File: 1468286033493.jpg (3 MB, 3754x3394) Image search: [Google]
1468286033493.jpg
3 MB, 3754x3394
>>66405874
>>
>>66405948
Excellent, thanks friend
>>
>>66405874
I personally started with To Be Kind like the plebian I am (I had listened to the Seer before that but I hated it, it wasn't until after I heard To Be Kind that I started getting into Swans) and I would honestly recommend you start with TBK as well; however there are going to be people who tell you to start with Filth. I personally dont think that Filth is a good place to start if you just want to enjoy Swans (if you want to see how they develop as a band and have plans on listening to their entire discography whether or not you enjoy every album then start with Filth but otherwise I would avoid it as a first album simply because none of their other albums are similar to it [aside from maybe Cop] and thus listening to it first might give you the wrong impression.)
>>
>>66393281
>Screenshot
they still play screenshot? I definitely have to go now
>>
>>66406075
huh, I was about to start with Filth since I'm into noise rock but I'll listen to TBK first if it gives a better impression of the music Gira plays.
>>
How do they play No Words No Thoughts without Thor to do the bell part?
>>
>>66406075
>>66406234

Swans didn't really click for me until I heard To Be Kind, so I'm in the same boat. The Great Annihilator was another one that helped Swans make sense for me, so I always recommend that people start with these two
>>
>>66405874
tbqh just listen to their discography chronologically. every album they've made is good in some way. And then you get to see their progression

Don't forget side projects! Skin and The World of Skin if you like their post-punk stuff, Body Lovers/ Body Haters and Drainland fill out the Soundtracks For The Blind era nicely, and Angels of Light is what Gira was up to after Swans died
>>
>>66406231
i don't know if they have actually played it on any of the tours yet. one reason why i very much want to go to a show on this and why i'm very saddened since i probably can't
>>
>>66406788
If you look at setlist.fm they've played pretty much the same setlist every show, and Screenshot is one of those songs
>>
>>66406731
Yeah I'm three songs into To Be Kind and I'm loving it, glad I started here
>>66406776
Gonna listen to Filth next then probably go chronologically
>>
>>66400793
I'm gonna be at the atl show too.
>>
>>66400793
>>66407186
See you'll guys there, I may drag along a couple friends who have never heard Swans or any non-pop music
>>
>>66407255
Oh my god do that and tell us what it was like.
>>
>>66407255
Lolol, I'm bring my friend who's favorite band is the 1975. Should be wild.
>>
>>66407255
>>66400793
>>66407186

I will be at the Atlanta show too, will probably be wearing a Big|Brave shirt. Come say hi if you want, See you guys there
>>
>>66407052
TOOOUUUSSAAAAAAAAINT L'OOOOUVERTUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE
>>
Anyone going to the show in Richmond VA on the 27th? I'm on the fence and it'd be cool to meet up with some fellow /mu/tants since I'm currently friendless and pretty shy.
>>
>>66408888
Going to the show in DC. Sorry mate. Also, I'm gonna be on acid by myself and stranger interaction would be strange.
>>
>>66408944
Oh, dang, I didn't even know they were playing in DC. I'll just go to that one instead, since I live in Loudoun.

I'll stay clear of you, anon.
>>
>>66402534
I've been where you are anon. After seeing them live three times, I'm sure that he doesn't care about bobbing heads, and even welcomes them. Doing that is natural when you genuinely enjoy the music, and there's no reason to hold it in. When you think about it, it's a natural thing to do, especially in a world that generally accepts it. Poser metal headthrashing, though, is another thing. I was at the Boston show a few weeks back and this one guy looked like a fat fish, standing in the front-center, waving his ass around like a black girl at some dingy club.
>>
>>66393437
They might. They got 18 more months of touring left. Although when I saw them in Petersburg, they didn't seem to happy with the crowd. I'm really hoping they come to South Florida this time, if they do.
>>
File: 41JT0CXEBFL.jpg (29 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
41JT0CXEBFL.jpg
29 KB, 314x475
Do you think he'd sign my copy of The Consumer if I brought it?
>>
anyone going to the portland show in september?
>>
>>66409134
I'm sure he would, he signs everything him-related. I always figured that all of them came signed, since he seems to sign everything he makes.
>>
>>66409188
I've never heard him talk about The Consumer much. I read somewhere that he disowned it a while back, but then again, he doesn't talk a lot about most of his work.
>>
>>66409222
hes disowned a lot of shit but im sure it all has a place in his life and he'd be happy to sign it.
Don't be intimidated by him, he's super humble, and really appreciative of his fans.
>>
>>66400908
>getting cucked this hard by education
Sorry senpai
>>
>>66403992
He thinks headbanging is disrespctful because you're not fully paying attention to the performance.

He's the only one in the band not wearing plugs, so he's cool with them.
>>
>>66409222
I read some of it. It's pretty edgy stuff. I know the guy lived through a lot of shit, but there's some really fucked up content in that book. If he did disown it, I wouldn't be surprised considering how he is nowadays. He might laugh a little, if he saw it. In fact, I'm sure there's been a bunch of people who gave it for him to sign over the years and I've never heard him turning anything down. I say go for it.

On an unrelated note, he has said that he wanted to write again, after he's finished with this tour. Wonder if it'll be any good.
>>
>>66409316
I really hope he gets back to writing. Consumer left a huge impression on me, and as an aspiring writer myself, it's certainly informed a lot of my own stuff.

Gira's such a bizarre guy. He's lived through so much and he's so prolific, I can't believe more people don't know who he is.
>>
>>66409417
Is it fiction? I've never even heard of it before, I didn't know he wrote anything
>>
>>66409417
he's an interesting character for sure
>>
>>66409167
I wanna go but it's 21+ and I'm 18. Kinda pissed.
>>
Anybody in here going to the Louisville show in a week or so?
>>
>>66409724
When I went a week ago, it said it's only 21+ for re-entry, but I could have misread it. I'm pretty sure that's what it said though.
Or is it the rule for the venue that they're playing at?
>>
>>66392848
>Amnesia has been cut from the set.
>Bring the Sun has been entirely removed from the Glowing Man.
Are you fucking stupid
>>
>>66409882
This venue books all ages and 21+ shows, should I call and see if I can schmooze my way in?
Also I'm not sure about the reentry thing.
>>
>>66409903
Nope, that's what they played...
>>
>>66392848
I think they are boring.
>>
>>66410136
That is a very good thought, I'm going to hang it on the fridge so everyone can read it.
>>
>>66410177
Better hang yourself on the fridge :3
>>
>>66410035
I was gonna ask, do they segway straight from the new song (which btw, is it The World Looks Black modified, or a completely new song, cause I'm hearing mixed things), into the half point mark of the Glowing Man, or do they take a break?

Cause I recall when they basically molded three or four songs into this, and I stand by thinking this is the greatest thing they've ever done live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WWTlIOxv38

>>66409980
I would double check with the venue, just to make sure. These things usually have shifty rules when it comes to age restrictions.
>>
Serious question. Why are swans considered a cult band? Did they invented or develop something new. I'm not a big fan of them and well to me they seem somewhat like gybe I know it's not accurate tho.
>>
>>66410243
It went:

Some Things We Do with World Looks Red Instrumental--> a more intense World Looks Black with an improvised vocal part-->End, with Gira remarking that that was an entirely new thing he just made up-->Glowing Man Intro as it is on the album-->Droney bits in place of the part ripped from Bring the Sun--->Glowing Man main riff.
>>
>>66410345
Swans was a primary influence on Godspeed
>>
>>66410431
Sounds great. I can't wait to see how it progresses from here. Do you recall how long the Glowing Man was? When I saw them in Boston, it seemed that they cut it to 20~ minutes, with some parts being noticeably shorter.
>>
>>66410489
I recall it being a good chunk longer, one because they lingered on one part for a bit because Gira got mad at someone, and there's also a new ending that took a bit more time than the other one.

That song is hypnotic as hell though, so I wouldn't consider my bearings of time reliable.
>>
>>66410536
Oh, I know what you mean. I was going to say the same about my own track of time. The whole time I was completely entranced by them.
>>
>>66393437
I remember YGR said on facebook a month ago that there were more dates in 2017. I'm just hoping for an alberta date.
>>
>>66392848
>Michael Gira did cut the air conditioning

Stoked for this, Swans are best experienced in a hot slightly uncomfortable setting.
>>
>>66410649
Ur mom's pucci?
>>
>>66410649
>tfw I listened to Cop for the first time in car with closed windows and no ac, while the hot summer sun baked me inside, as I drove around poor neighbourhoods.
>>
>>66409306
>He thinks headbanging is disrespctful because you're not fully paying attention to the performance.
i've never listened to swans and i hope this retard gets murdered
>>
>>66409599
It is fiction. Henry Rollins' published it back in the day -- only 500 copies, but you can download a scan if you know where to look.

It's pretty grim stuff. A bunch of short stories about incest, murder, pedophilia, animal abuse, mutilation, rape, media addiction, general disgusting behavior and completely unsympathetic characters who could barely be considered human.
>>
>>66410846
Well he's somewhat true. It's not disrespectful but you really don't paying full attention.
>>
>>66410846
>metalfags
>>
>>66410981
>swans are not metal
>>
>>66411164
>they aren't, retard
>>
>>66411278
>seems heavy enough to me pal
>>
Glad you enjoyed, though I'm disappointed that they cut Amnesia. Going to the Chicago show Friday; this will be the fourth Swans show I've seen in as many years.
>>
>>66393410
Even better
>>
>>66406231
>>66406788
Yeah they definitely played Screen Shot. Honestly Cloud of Unknowing was the high point for me though...or ending with glowing man.
>>
>>66412735
That part when Gira started convulsing was fucking amazing.
>>
>>66393281
>>66406231
>>66406788
>>66412735
>>66406848
holy shit goddamnit, if they are going to play screenshot that means I have no choice but to go to the fucking show,

swans are playing cincinnati 07/19/16... what are the chances they will play screenshot? 50%? 100%? It's my favorite track they made
>>
>>66413880
God damn you can just tell the dude is really putting his all into it. Mad respect for the guy
>>
>>66413905
I'd say there's a good chance but honestly it fell by the wayside in my list of favorite parts of the show. It's gonna kick ass no matter if they play it or not
>>
>>66413905
Yes, they do Screenshot, but it wasn't as entertaining as the other songs because they basically play it the same way it's on the album.

However, it's definitely working live, so they will play it. Try and make it.
>>
Anyone gonna be at the cradle?
>>
>>66392848

I was there! My ears are still ringing.
>>
>>66407877
>Big|Brave
Did you see them with Sunn a few months ago? I couldn't really get into them
>>
>>66398581

I was one of those dudes. There's no way they didn't see her poised for her next piece, but they just kept on talking. Like what the fuck.

By the way, Okkyung's set was absolutely fantastic. I've never heard a cello make those noises. At one point it sounded like a horse was being eaten alive.
>>
>>66414721
Nice I was the dude in the black shirt next to yeah. But yeah there was this one whooshing typed noise that sounded straight out of a power electronics album
>>
>>66414721
Huh... I didn't quite get Okkyung's music, but you bet your ass that I was quiet and I tried to understand it.

I was looking for some melody or motif and failing miserably. I guess I was supposed to look at it like a "hear the collection and variety of noises I can get out of this one instrument" thing?
>>
>>66415180
Yeah the sounds was the big thing but what was really stunning for me was how she was able to switch between two different sounds have still have them progress in some way.
>>
>>66415180

I think she's the type of experimental musician that is just exploring the limits of an instrument, rather than bother with constructing what could be called a "song"
>>
was anyone at the minneapolis show? i was the tall retarded faggot in a white t-shirt right up front
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.