[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Godspeed You! Black Emperor is the best post-rock band of all time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: soyuznerushimy.jpg (329 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
soyuznerushimy.jpg
329 KB, 900x900
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>66383673
if you dont consider how prolific a band is, Slint had 1 post rock album and it was one of the most important and influential albums of all time i guess.
>>
*proves you wrong*
>>
>>66383673
slint made one album that was better than anything GYBE every made, also they were hugely influential
>>
File: lel kek 3.png (67 KB, 181x201) Image search: [Google]
lel kek 3.png
67 KB, 181x201
>>66383737
>slint made one album that was better than anything GYBE every made
>>
>>66383700
Yeah, but I am talking about output and consistencies of bands. I think Godspeed is the best post-rock band in terms of how consistent they are in terms of album quality. Godspeed are pretty influential too. If we are talking about albums, then I agree that Godspeed haven't created the best post rock album.
>>
>>66383737
Slint also don't have 6 amazing projects as a band, and Godspeed are influential too.
>>
>>66383673
Post-rock peaked with Spirit of Eden
>>
This Slint meme needs to stop, they had one "more influential than good" album that was proven to be a fluke
>>
for me nothing comes close to Lift Your Skinny Fists
it's the end station of music
i listened to so many albums trying to chase this high but i always come back to it
>>
>>66383785
maybe. i think a few Don Caballero albums could rival GYBE's. i would say Tortoise aswell if The Catastrophist wasn't mega trash. i am not a big fan of Talk Talk, before anyone yells at me for not mentioning them.
>>
Spiderland is amazing but so is F#A#infinity. Tweez was not that good and GYBE have Slow Riot and LYSF under their belts as well. They are pretty different though, I wouldn't say that one is better than the other but GYBE have overall better output. Asunder and (too a lesser extent) Allelujah are pretty meh though.
>>
I like new Swans better
>>
I'd say F#A#oo is the best post-rock album. Hex by Bark Psychosis comes close, but that's their only noteworthy album. Godspeed have an incredibly strong discography, and have actively changed their style with nearly every album.

I don't even consider Spiderland post-rock. It's a good album but just because something has soft-loud dynamics doesn't make it post-rock.
>>
>>66383938
While I think Godspeed is the best post-rock band, I think Soundtracks for The Blind is the best post-rock album.
>>
>>66383946
See I loved 'Allelujah, and Asunder.
>>
>>66383917
Spiderland is one of the few mucore albums that actually deserves its status
>>
>>66383946
I loved Allelujah and Asunder, you've got to give props to them for trying something new with the genre that's been running in place for 15 years.
>>
File: tnt.jpg (101 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
tnt.jpg
101 KB, 1200x1200
opinions on this? my personal favourite post rock album
>>
>>66383700
Slint's album though didn't have very much dynamic range. Adolescent lyrics, poor production...yeah the post-rock mixed with math-rock thing was cool but it's not that interesting to me
>>
>>66384055
Seriously, give me two Godspeed projects that sound the same.
>>
What's the Godspeed album with some spoken word intro? A friend played it for me a while back asking if I'd heard of them and Swans.
>>
>>66384186
f#a# infinity or 'allelujah don't bend ascend. f#a# infinity was the man, 'allelujah was the pitch shifted woman's vocals.
>>
>>66384119
Spiderland is universally praised for its dynamics lol
>>
>>66384119
I don't think the lyrics are adolescent as much as they are really simple. I think that this kind of lyrics get mistaken for being immature because of how straight forward they are, when in truth the narrator has only the job of telling a story or how he is feeling (and does it just fine imo). The Glow pt. 2 has similar writing and it's usually praised for its lyrics (granted that Phil's manipulation of the english language is more elegant than Slint's, but i find them similar nonetheless). I don't find this kind of writing to be less developed, just more down to earth or cold in a way. I would argue that the way the narrator speaks adds to the nervous mood of the album aswell. I don't know how to explain it, but for once i enjoy having someone just tell things naturally to me instead of having a singer trying to turn their voice into a beautiful instrument, especially in an introspective album. It really convinces me of how desperate the character is.

I actually don't mind the production but i am used to the Albini noise rock sound and a lot of people complain about that kind of stuff so i am not really going to argue this one, i guess it is a habit.
>>
>>66384171
(not him)
i like godspeed but dude come on
all of their releases sound similar
it's not really a problem though since their music has such a big scale that small details just get lost in the ocean of sound. Happens a lot with music that abuses repetition.
>>
>>66383938
agreed honestly

no other album has ever made me feel the way LYSF does. listening to it is like living an entire life's worth of memories and then dying
>>
>>66384288
>>66384186
What's the matter with the production? I listen to the remastered version normally and it sounds just fine.
>>
File: image.png (155 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
155 KB, 300x300
>>66383673
I just did
>>
>all these people saying godspeed isn't influential

third wave post rock is literally just a bunch of godspeed spin offs
>>
>>66384322
Please give me two albums of theirs that sound similar.
>>
>>66384055
>something new
Not really. The drone stuff is cool but feels like they could develop it further, and when they do stuff like We Drift Like Worried Fire it feels like they are trying to redo the crescendo stuff that made them "popular"
>>
>>66384509
all of them lol

"crescendocore" is a buzzword but it was stamped to them for a reason.
>>
>>66384435
Literally no one has said that.
>>
>>66384568
That's a pretty dumb thing to say. What is wrong with crescendos too?
>>
>>66384509
Not that guy but the recent two are pretty similar. Slow Riot and LYSF are pretty similar. Doesn't mean they are bad though.
>>
>>66384608
Nothing is wrong with a crescendo, but its the boring way that third wave post rock bands use them, like EDM drops, that's the problem.
>>
>>66384621
'Allelujah and Asunder were pretty different in the respect of tone. Asunder was heavier and was more straight to the point with their starting and ending songs. It also set up a tension atmosphere that was concluded in the last song, making it more cohesive. 'Allelujah was structurally different and had a darker production in my opinion. Also it had more apparent crescendos too, it wasn't as obvious.

I don't necessarily agree with Slow Riot and LYSF being similar either. Why do you think that?
>>
>>66384660
I think Godspeed does crescendos very well though, they take their time to build atmosphere and emotion, and powerfully conclude it. It is like a cinematic structure, where it takes time to build and set the stage for the climax.
>>
i agree, OP

i think something that people don't talk about enough is how much better Godspeed's production is than other post-rock bands, everything is beautiful
>>
>>66384608
your face is a pretty dumb thing to say

i have no idea how you concluded that i thought crescendos as a bad thing. the only thing i implied was that GYBE deserve their buzzword because they use crescendos extensively

you absolutely cannot argue that their albums sound different from eachother, except the short segments of sampling during FAInfinity.

all of their albums include the following

>crescendos, always used to convey growing stress
>guitars droning for 10 minutes
>violins droning for slightly less minutes
>production that cuts the high ends

if those don't sound like a lot of bullet points, remember that these are mostly 10-30 minute droning, slow songs that are mostly buildup, which consist almost always of guitar chords and a consistent drum beat.

the rest is climax, which consists of the same except louder and with violin on top. all of their melodies are either gloomy or glorious (same could be said for the mood that their albums convey).

i understand perfectly the complexity of their music and that it has more depth than what i wrote in this post. but their output sounds almost always similar regardless of their effort because they stick to their guns and their experimentation is limited by their instrumentation and habits. none of this is bad though, i like GYBE.
>>
File: Brancaascension.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Brancaascension.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
The Ascension - Glenn Branca
>>
>>66384957
in addition, i agree their latest release is structurally different but the timbre is the same as always. add a longer intro and outro to those songs and it would have sounded like all of their previous releases.
>>
>>66384970
that is No Wave you fucking dunce, it's not post-rock at all just because there's crescendos n shit
>>
>>66384337
sunbather and lysf are the only two albums who do this to me
>>
>>66384784
I guess I agree with you on Allelujah and Asunder, but I don't think those things make them hugely different from each other. Slow Riot was done right before LYSF and you can hear the similarities in the really long crescendo's that Moya and LYSF both did. I also feel that they used screwdrivered guitars and xylophones in very similar ways on the albums. BBF3 sounded a little closer to F#A# because of how they built the song around the sample (like Dead Flag Blues) instead of using the sample to start the song (like Sleep) but it still sounded like LYSF in instrumentation.
>>66384861
Oh I totally agree with you, Godspeed and some other bands know how to build a song that is already good on its own into a climax rather than making a song for the sole purpose of getting TO that climax (see: If These Trees Could Talk, the first This Will Destroy You EP, God Is An Astronaut)
>>
>>66385675
when I mouse over your second quote, godspeed appears in the same spot in both your post and the post you're quoting
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.