[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are they Prog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Are they Prog?
>>
>>66379964
psychedelic
>>
Psych Prog
>>
Why is this even a question? Define prog and then deduce your answer.
>>
>>66379964
They're prog without the instrumental wanking
>>
Not really. Most of their songs are based in blues rather than jazz or classical, and they have relatively simple song structures. They're really good though
>>
>>66380050
this isnt 100% true, listen to saurcerful (the song) or ummagumaa
>>
They are shit
>>
>>66380050
They have plenty of instrumentals. But you're saying the wankery level is contained?
>>
>>66380100
Yes
>>
>>66380083
>le jazz or classical is a requirement to be proge
kys
>>
>>66380140
but one of the founding ideals of progressive rock is breaking away from the blues-based rock of their time. why do people get so buttmad when told that Pink Floyd isn't prog?
>>
i think shine on and dogs are definite prog songs. not everything they did was prog though.
>>
>>66380083
Pretty sure Gilmour is the only real Blues-inspired member, and even he has some Jazz influence. Rick and Nick have both said that they are heavily influenced by Jazz artists. Not sure about Roger, though.
>>
>>66380313
It definitely doesn't reflect in most of their music.
>>
>>66380337
I can see why. A lot of their stuff has guitar in the foreground, but also have a lot of subtle sounds that refer to their somewhat Jazz-inspired background. Nick and Rick are usually in the background, but it's rather apparent (and I think sounds much more Prog) when they have a hand in the writing, especially in their early days (Echoes, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, Us and Them, One of These Days, A Saucerful of Secrets, etc.). Roger had certainly improved as time went on, though, as shown in Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut, and his solo work.

They have often incorporated Jazz styles and saxophone into their work, such as in Money and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. David Gilmour may have made Pink Floyd a bit more Pop-Rock with A Momentary Lapse of Reason, but even so, Yet Another Movie and Terminal Frost are certainly very nice Prog additions into the album.
>>
>>66379964
they're dad-rock
>>
>>66380688
You're not funny or original. Try again.
>>
>>66380799
but anon, they're dad-rock
>>
>>66380916
Try again
>>
They are prog in the sense of the themes of their later albums, but not really in sound. Their earlier stuff is psychedelic rock. I think this is one reason why people love Dark Side of the Moon so much, because it was the definitive moment where they shifted from psych to prog and the two sounds overlapped.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 640x421) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 640x421
>tfw a 15 minute song isn't considered prog
>>
>>66381785
actually a handful of their songs were around 20 minutes
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.