[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you play no-wave guitar? It seems harder than people make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Mars,_12"_EP_cover.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Mars,_12"_EP_cover.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
How do you play no-wave guitar? It seems harder than people make it out to be.

I'm guessing for tone use some kind of fender guitar and only boost the treble.

What kind of chords do you use? How do you strum? What tuning?
>>
>>66378997
Just play an unplugged detuned guitar
>>
>>66378997
don't play any higher than the 12 fret and bend every note out of tune

also
>chords
>>
>>66378997
You'll want a decent amp, something with tubes probably. You'll want to push the gain a little, push the volume high enough so you can get feedback squalls, etc easily. Use single coil pickup guitars, like a stratocaster. I use the single coil pickups on my Parker p-38 because they're more sterile sounding. Detune your guitar. Personally when I think of no wave guitar my mind goes to DNA on DNA's sort of sound, which is basically doing anything but actually outright playing. Pick scrapes, muted notes, etc. If I was at home I'd record an example.

Later tonight or tomorrow I might record something and post a thread, I love no-wave
>>
>>66379189
>good equipment

that's not very no-wave of you anon
>>
>>66379189
If you detune your guitar how do these no wave bands know how to get to the same exact weird tuning when replaying the songs? That part confuses me a lot?
>>
>>66379270
Good equipment doesn't have to be expensive. I have a b52 at-100, got it for 100 dollars, reverb is broken and it came with no foot pedals to switch channels, but it sounds great, I have three guitars, only one of which is worth more than 200 dollars, sounds great, and my cabinet is a used ampeg cab with replaced speakers, only 150 dollars, love it to death.

I hate this mindset. If I'm going to play guitar for about 10-20 hours a week of course I'm going to invest money to sound good, especially when it's like, less than a grand.

Honestly if you're not willing to invest in your gear, even a little, you shouldn't be trying to get sounds this specific. The fact of the matter is anyone can get a guitar sound that rivals slash through a computer program and a good audio interface, but if you want a guitar sound straight out of No New York, you're gonna need more than whatever you can find at a guitar center or a pirate copy of Guitar Rig 5.

Also I have like 10 guitar pedals for various things, they're all like 30 dollars each except for like 3 of them, usually only use like 5 at a time.

>>66379356
Some no wave bands did use specific alternate tunings, some use alternate tunings then detuned their strings a tad, some completely ignored tuning.

Most of these bands weren't going for an authentic record sound live anyway.
>>
>>66379643
tl;dr

but do you really think that dna cared that much about their guitar tone? why would you go though the hassle if you're just going to intentionally make it sound terrible?
>>
>>66379990
No, but it's a matter of replicating the sound. I'm not really sure what they used, but I know they didn't use solid state amps, and I know they used single coil guitars, so if you want that sound you're going to need those two things. Total price, like 600, 700 dollars. DNA were a band, and as such were willing to invest at least that much money, I'm sure more.
>>
>>66379189
Fuck it. I couldn't wait, I was so eager to do this. I love No Wave, man.

https://soundcloud.com/user-746945692/the-sound-of-no-wave-part-2
>>
>>66380312
you could get that sound out of a microcube
>>
File: Screenshot_20160713-155821.png (275 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160713-155821.png
275 KB, 1440x2560
>>66380312
>implying you're me

I'm not even home right now.
>>
>>66380312

I can hear some James chance influence.
>>
>>66380312
sounds good mate
>>
I have never heard of no-wave but I read this thread as a guitarist and a stratocaster owner and I got a pretty good idea of what this "no-wave" entails and it sounds /mu/-core as fuck.
>>
>>66381241
lol........ its pretty popular and there are way more people into music than people who use /mu/. most likely more no-wave fans than mu users
>>
>>66381432
that's a lotta periods
>>
nigga no wave is shit.
>>
>>66378997
For one stop approaching this in a scholarly manner and "unlearn" guitar.
>>
just play with your dick
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.