[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Similar Melodies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-07-13_00-23-40.png (2 KB, 330x74) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-13_00-23-40.png
2 KB, 330x74
Both these melodies are mostly a descending scale but are they "too similar" ?
>>
>>66368286
too similar for what?
they're boring, if that's what you're asking
it's like sth. out of a teach-yourself-piano book
there's no accompaniment or depth to it and it doesnt even have a tonic resolution so it doesnt form a full phrase
>>
>>66368558
not the question

>too similar for what?
are the first two measures too similar to the next two
>>
>>66368286
this is the dumbest question ive evver heard, too similar for what?
>>
>>66368713
well to expand on my "it's too boring" point, there's just not enough going on for it to be a good melody, in any sense of the word
so yes, It is too similar but again, you haven't described what context it's in

are you asking if it's too similar for a nice melody? or for a theory analysis? or for a high level piece or a low level piece?

the question makes little to no sense at all
>>
>>66368828
>>66368846
say there was a song that had the first two measures as it's melody

would a song that uses the next to measures as it's melody be "ripping the the other song off" ?

it's a simple question really
>>
>>66368985
yes
>>
>>66368286
For a lead line? No. It's called melodic imitation, keeps the listener interested
>>
there are too much songs that sound like while my guitar gently weeps
>>
>>66368985
tl;dr Yes but that's not the point

your question probably boils down to whether it would be classed as plagiarism, and as such will be dependent on the country and legal system

in all likelihood, yes it's too similar but at the same time, it's simple enough that the second melody would be ripping off another song as well, since someone must have come up with that riff in the past

consider that you did a drawing of a stick man
and then I do one of a slightly different stick man
now even though I'm ripping you off, both of our creations are so unoriginal that they're both ripoffs of something else

if you have two songs with enough substance, it won't matter that their melodies are similar since they've got other things behind them
>>
>>66368985
it depends
presumably there are more differences in the rest of the song and the context in which it's used, like harmony and instrumentation, since that snippet of melody isn't much by itself

if that's the whole "song", then yes, it's very similar, but...
>>
>>66369003
I find that hard to believe considering it's mostly just a descending scale
>>
>>66368286
>>66368352
For what purpose? Is this like due tomorrow or something?
>>
>>66369157
not hw just a fun thought experiment
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.