[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
singer/songwriter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (470 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.png
470 KB, 512x512
I can't stop listening to juilen bakers album.
but I need more!
what's your favorite singer songwriter album or artist that isn't bob dylan, neil young or nick drake?
>>
i know how you feel OP
i'm madly in love with her, too bad she's gay
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aventine_(album)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull_My_Hair_Back
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 496x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 496x500
Anything by this man
>>
Listen to the album Wriggling by Abi Reimold.
>>
she looks like a broken human being.
>>
>>66368519
elioy smitg = trypophobia face
>>
>>66367822
Her tiny desk concert was adorable

I really enjoy Julie Doiron. You might want to check out Broken Girl or Julie Doiron and the Wooden Stars. The first is mostly acoustic stuff and the second is a bit closer to slowcore
>>
>>66369601
Ahhhhh! I was just listening to Julie Doiron and the wooden stars last night. Good stuff.
>>
>>66369301

Thats what's so sad about the album ;___;
>>
File: cover.jpg (281 KB, 1421x1408) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
281 KB, 1421x1408
Sibylle Baier - Colour Green

Forget About is one of the best love songs I've ever heard.

>you made me forget about
>have, want, exert
>and all of a sudden I feel proud, just being without saying a word
>>
File: Rooms With Walls and Windows.jpg (763 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Rooms With Walls and Windows.jpg
763 KB, 1600x1600
Julie Byrne - Rooms With Walls and Windows
>>
>>66367822
Cornelis Vreesvijk
>>
File: MarikaEP.jpg (420 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
MarikaEP.jpg
420 KB, 1024x1024
Marika Hackman - That Iron Taste
>>
Warren Zevon
Jason Molina
Tom T. Hall
>>
>>66367822
>bob dylan, neil young or nick drake?
they are not a singer/songwriter. they actually have the talent to play their own instruments
>>
>>66372008
dont most of these singersongwriters play their own stuff...?
>>
This down to earth loveable bloke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3F6HJk8xIw&feature=youtu.be
>>
am i the only one who wish there were more instruments on her album? some percussion would be nice
>>
Brian Chippendale project called Black Pus is awsome.
>>
>>66373997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvYJ_3CRfT4
forgot link
>>
>>66373962
>am i the only one who wish there were more instruments on her album?
Yes you are the only one on this universe that wish that "one acoustic guitar + one human vocal" songs had more instruments
>>
>>66373929
no. i thought so too
>>
>>66367822
angel olsen
>>
>>66372008
>>66374037
Explain
>>
>>66372008
>>66374037

Are... you retarded? Like, fuck. Yes, singer-songwriters play their own instruments, meaning Young/Dylan/Drake all fall into this category. Julien Baker writes and performs her stuff too. Anon, come on.
>>
>>66374024
lmao it's not even acoustic, maybe if it was it'd be better though and not sound so lacking
know what you're saying before you talk
>>
File: qt.png (963 KB, 1279x679) Image search: [Google]
qt.png
963 KB, 1279x679
>>66369301
Well yeah, the pictures she for some reason chooses to use on social media really isn't flattering. She's actually pretty cute though.
>>
>>66368519
This, desu
>>
>>66373962
From what I remember she had like 3 total days in the studio; and never expected anything to come from it anyway. She used to be more focused on her band; Forristed. But, that was until her solo stuff got a fait amount of buzz. (Deservedly so)

I hope she tries something new for the next album like adding more instrumentation and won't just make Sprained Ankle 2.0 since it worked the first time.
>>
>>66367822
My favourite singer/songwriters are Julien Baker and Elliott Smith, so you might like him. They're not too similar other than the fact that they're both singer/songwriters making "sad" music. If you're gonna try Elliott's stuff I would suggest starting with Either/Or, but he made som pretty varied stuff. It's worth checking out everything he did really.

But try starting with Either/Or and go backwards in his discography for more lo-fi, and forwards for more instrumentation with better production.

Hope I could help. :^)
>>
>>66377245
P.S.
Julien even covered one of Elliott's songs for this upcoming tribute album.

https://soundcloud.com/laundromat13/ballad-of-big-nothing-elliott-smith-cover-by-julien-baker
>>
>>66377396
He has like 6 better songs on that album alone, though.
>>
>>66377431
You're talking about Ballad of Big Nothing?
Well, I remember she talked about why she chose that song. And, it wasn't her 1st choice. She origianly wanted to cover Say Yes, but it was already taken. Her cover is really good IMO though.

Uh, yeah, I don't know. I can't really pick a favourite from Either/Or. But, I really like Ballad of Big Nothing though. It really depends on what song I listen to. I would say my favourites are Ballad of Big Nothing, Between The Bars, Pictures of Me, No Name No. 5, Angeles, and Say Yes.
>>
>>66377545
I think Say Yes is much better. I like Ballad of Big Nothing, but, to be fair, I think every song in that album is great.
>>
>>66377570
Yeah, I wouldn't say there are any bad songs on the album, but I am not in love with Rose Parade or 2:45 AM.

Elliott was really one of the greats... I get so mad every time I think about the fact that he still had so much potential and enjoyed what he was doing only to be murderer by his girlfriend over some argument.
>>
>>66367822
Ignore the others. Listen to these

>Keaton Henson
The OG sadboy
>Benjamin Shaw
Sad, clever British man with suffocatingly beautiful instrumentation behind him
>David Thomas Broughton
Sad man with a love for looping guitars. Unique voice.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.