[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, Fender amp user here. I'm currently looking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 500x500
Hey /mu/, Fender amp user here. I'm currently looking for a fuzz pedal that will definitely give my 210 fender hot rod deville amp a good kick. Normally distortion pedals don't sound too good through fenders. I'm too broke to afford another amp at the moment so I'm looking to compensate through a good pedal for the time being. I play a Strat and a les Paul as well. Any suggestions?
>>
muff. the guitarist in my favorite local band uses a deville and he gets a killer sound with a big fat nyc muff. but sometimes he uses a RAT 2 pedal just get those two they are both sure shots.
>>
What kind of fuzz tones do you like? Like a Hendrix sort of tone, Page, etc.
>>
>>66367115
I'll make sure to check it out. Thanks mate.
>>
>>66367160
Yeah, Hendrix is a good tone. I also like Eric Clapton's Cream days kind of guitar sound. So a good crunch, but with a real thick and smooth sound.
>>
>>66366938
>"Usually distortion pedals don't sound too good through fenders"

That's VOX amps you're thinking of buddy, the built in overdrive on the hot rod is lackluater, but literally any pedal sounds decent through a hot rod deville, they take pedals really well.

Were you seriously thinking of buying another fucking amp because the overdrive channel on yours is shit? Jesus, most amp gain is pretty dull and lackluster unless you spend big money. If you want a decent distorted/overdrive tone, you're going to have to experiment with different combinations of pedals used together, there is no way around it. A good start for a no frills distortion is the DS-1X, the DS-1 is pretty shit but the DS-1X is a good start, the run other pedals with it, experiment, chain them together.
>>
>>66367187

I used to use the same amp, and I put a Fulltone Octafuzz through it. The normal fuzz tone is great, if you put the drive channel gain at around 2 or 3 and put the fuzz into it gets real fat. And it has a little switch so you can get that octave up sound you'd hear on like Purple Haze if you want it. Hendrix used a fuzz that was basically the octavio circuit without the octave up later on, which you'd hear on like Band of Gypsys. Other than that, he used Fuzz Faces. You can check out Dunlops lineup of Fuzz Faces. I personally like the germanium (red) one the most through a Deville but that'll get you that Hendrix sound. They sound great with Les Pauls too. Think like the Alex Lifeson tone on Working Man.
>>
>>66366938
Don't use the overdrive channel on that amp, just use the clean channel with pedals. The clean channel on the hot rod deville is GOAT for the price.
>>
>>66367235
>That's VOX amps you're thinking of buddy
lol
>>
>>66367363
>butthurt VOX user detected

VOX are probably the dullest and generic sounding amps on the market today, they have no individual character and the tone has no room for movement, everything you do with them ends up with you sounding like fucking U2 or some drab british band from the 70's.
>>
>>66367235

>Use pedals instead of getting a different amp

I tried that. I used to have OP's problem and tried numerous Marshall type pedals through it. I eventually just said screw it and bought a DSL. None of the pedals can compare. The DSL is one of Marshall's budget models and it still kicks all the 200-300 dollar boutique pedals out of the water, at bedroom volume or cranked. There's no sense in chasing the tone you want and settling for something sub-par.
>>
>>66367452
If your playing butt rock and metal then what you did was probably a good idea. I prefer the sound of a good distortion and overdrive pedal through a shimmering clean channel of a Fender amp. It sounds better to me, has a lot more character and depth to the sound and it sounds more "open".
>>
>>66367542
I personally always found it the reverse. The pedal I really settled on was the Catalinbread DLS, which, too its credit is a great pedal. Out of all the different British voiced pedals I tried from every company imaginable, the DLS was definitely the best. But it always sounded a tad unnatural to me and didn't react to dynamics quite like my Marshall does. To me it sounded to compressed and solid state like through my Deville. I think the pedal into the amp was great for bedroom use, but in a band setting its faults became pronounced.
>>
>>66367449
>everything you do with them ends up with you sounding like fucking U2 or some drab british band from the 70's.
lol

>bedroom metal kiddo detected
>>
>>66366938
Electroharmonix Big Muff will sound very 90s grunge on clean channel. But you should also try driving your dirty channel harder with a Tube Screamer for a more nuanced and expressive sound.
>>
>>66367703
I've never had a problem with pedals through my deville, I just run them through the clean channel and they sound great, I'm really not a huge fan of Marshall or Vox amps though, something about them just sounds off, I'd rather get a sound through pedals rather than relying on the limited range of the amp itself, the Deville has great cleans and thats what sold me on it, I tried out other valve amps in the price range and they just lacked character.
>>
>>66367786
>dirty channel
dirty channel on deville is admittedly trash. the best part of fender amps is just the clean channel and a rat pedal
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.