[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/, if I want to learn to play the piano, where the fuck do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Please tell me there is some top collegiate concert pianist on /mu/ who also happens to be good at communicating ideas.
>>
my friends a boss ass pianist but is pursuing a career in medicine because of his asian family

idk bro maybe just learn some basic theory and stuff first then buy a method book
>>
>>66359251
do you want compose songs or learn songs? what kind of song in both?
>>
>>66359319
I want to compose songs but to learn the piano I figure a good start is to learn songs. I don't have any particular song that I want to compose or play.
>>
>>66359354
Real talk, take piano classes. Thats what I did now. Along side that start learning music theory online.
>>
>>66359504
The good thing is that I understand music theory well.
>>
Practice
>>
>>66359542
I kind of want a magical shortcut that doesn't require effort, but thanks, though.
>>
>>66359251
With middle C
>>
Like >>66359304
said, get a method book.

If you have the money, take classes, but really the most important thing is to regularly study theory. After that, it's just trying to increase the difficulty of the pieces you're playing.
>>
Thanks, guys.
>>
>>66359561
There isn't one, you lazy shit
>>
>>66359561
Fuck theory. Theory is just plagiarism. Listen to a bunch of music, listen to whatever inspires you, and let the music come from your soul, not from what the book says is a wonderful chord progression. Anyway, the number one thing about piano playing is proper hand position. Play with the resting position of your hands being your wrists with your knuckles and let the movement come from your elbows in a gentle wavy, bouncy motion which culminates in the tips of your gently/naturally arched fingers. When you use the right pedal, train yourself so that your foot "hiccups" on it to eliminate the backwash from the previous chord yet doesn't cause an interruption of the flow. And find some piano books for kids to start with; learning to correspond sheet music with piano keys is not easy.
>>
>>66360794
*"Wrists with your knuckles" I meant wrists level with your knuckles in the resting/default position.
>>
>>66359251
Watch Yiruma in concert to see what I mean about playing technique.
>>
>>66359251
Definitely learn to read sheet music and pick pieces you want to learn, then master them by practicing two measures at a time, and only when you can do those perfectly, go to the next two bars, learning pieces in that way.
>>
Learn to play by ear, just listening to songs and trying to work them out on the piano. Otherwise you'll only be able to play using sheet music and you'll never learn to write on your own.
>>
>>66360794
>he doesn't compose with dodecaphony
>>
>>66359251
If you got money get a tutor.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.