[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swans lyrics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: swanschildrenofgod.jpg (303 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
swanschildrenofgod.jpg
303 KB, 500x500
Is this album (or Swans in general) considered Christian music?
Are lyrics like this
>praise the lord, praise god
>Jesus christ the lord save us now
>we are children of god
intended to be sarcasm, really straight praises to Jesus/Christianity, or something else?
What is the meaning of tracks like "Beautiful Child"?
>>
hurrrrrrrrrrr
>>
>>66356138
I think so. Gira soupery goes well with the bands moto of hate and love while at the same time blipid forencating a weird relationship with fans on lyrics,
>>
>>66356138
all old people believe in god and religion
>>
>>66356138
dude. God is not real. ATHIEST4LIVE
>>
A lot of early/mid Swans is written from different perspectives (abusers/victims in Filth, for example), so I don't imagine it's really either. I remember an interview where he said that their religious stuff (esp Children of God) were simply a commentary on religion, not really pro or anti.
The transcendental themes on The Glowing Man seem to be genuine though, as he frequently talks about that as a key part of what they're trying to do with their sound, "reach something higher" when they get into it.
>>
>>66356138
Micheal Gira is a Christian, but he's also vague and makes his very sincere music appear to be sarcasm to appeal to his fedora hipster fans
>>
>>66356711
Tl:DR
>>
>>66356711
Thanks for a serious reply.
>>
>>66356939
Sorry if nobody cares about your shitty thread faggot. Go whine back to
>>>/r9k/
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 198x341) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 198x341
>>66356747
“I don’t know what interest I have in religion except the spiritual outcome of it,” says Gira, who admitted in an interview he had recently attended church. “That was something that I probably shouldn’t have talked about in public. I’m not a follower of religion, I would never be a dogmatic person about religion, but I think that certain aspects of it have great value.”

Shut the fuck up
>>
>>66357027
>>66356939
>>66356138
>t.samefag
>>
>>66357021
>getting this butthurt for no fucking reason
might want to get your head checked you autist
>>
File: image.png (110 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
110 KB, 750x1334
>>66357042
Once since again, shut the fuck up
>>
>>66357423
Once again*
>>
Gira writes of the pain of being human. The pain every human faces because of our very nature. He writes of the weaknesses our species repeatedly succumbs to. He continues this theme by ironically praising God to help us in our weakness.

>We believe in love / God save us now.

The second line is an ironic response to the first.

We turn to love and faith in weakness. Gira is calling to God to show how this admits our weakness further. A desperate measure of devoting our love to God in our weakness buries us further in the pit.

>And I open the door
>And there they lie twisted
>And misshapen
>They suffer for love
>And they're sick to death
>Of the dreams they used to have
>And they're sick to death
>Of their beautiful lie

As he witnesses the pain of placing our destiny in the hands of love and faith, Gira cries "God save us now." As if god is going to a better job of saving us than he did before. These calls to God are plainly mocking of blind faith. He believes a man turns to blind faith for he is too weak to help himself.

By the end of the song all Gira can ask God is "please," stretching out his last drop of faith in his deepest weakness. Clouded by faith, he is no longer able to help himself. His weakness leaves him no option but to pray to God, though he's already knows praying to God put him where he is now.

I'd probably cry "God save us" at that point too. lol
>>
>>66357313
>Caring this much for quality in 4chan
Fucking dingus
>>
>>66356711
To add to your point about The Glowing Man, Gira stated that Frankie M is about his altered state of being he achieves when playing music. According to him, it's like a spiritual entity named Frankie takes over his body. Gira is a very spiritual guy, but probably not very religious.
>>
>>66357676
kek

(its Joseph from The Glowing Man for ppl who don't know better, the lyrics make perfect sense when you realise this)
>>
>>66357697
Shit you're right, got the name mixed up
>>
>>66356138
>intended to be sarcasm, really straight praises to Jesus/Christianity, or something else?
Gira did an interview about Children of God, where he mentioned without irony that it was dedicated to his love of Jesus Christ.

So yes, it is a Christian album.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.