[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
"In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems. Metal isn't basic--it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams it promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. 80% of the 'people' who like it are male, and 98% of them are white."
>>
Oh look, it's this post again.

Is this the new THE FACT THAT?
>>
Grace [Columbia, 1994]

Although Tim's vocal traces are in his genes as surely as John's are in Julian's, it's wrong to peg him as the unwelcome ghost of his overwrought dad. Young Jeff is a syncretic asshole, beholden to Zeppelin and Nina Simone and Chris Whitley and the Cocteau Twins and his mama--your mama too if you don't watch out. "Sensitivity isn't being wimpy," he avers. "It's about being so painfully aware that a flea landing on a dog is like a sonic boom." So let us pray the force of hype blows him all the way to Uranus.

C
>>
>>66353209
>it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content
Yikes!
>>
>>66353254
Damn that was btfo
>>
Mealfags rekt.
>>
>>66353427
Translated, he means metal uses technical playing as a cover for its shitty lyrics/message.
>>
memes aside, there are tons of closet metalheads who happen to be niggers
>>
>>66354137

>>>/pol/
>>
>>66354161
what the fuck?
>>
>>66353209
This is actually true.
Punk was our real rock and roll, but punk is dead.
>>
>>66353209
metal musicians these days get told off for complaining about people videoing their concerts on their phones, metal and rock music is possibly the furthest genre away from modern rock n roll.

pop music and hiphop is doing a great job of being modern rock n roll because of how many people it seems to piss off
>>
>>66353209
i agree
>>
>>66353209
>it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content.
Just like all of Christgau's writing then.
>>
"Hip-hop is the only vital form of music to have come along since punk rock."

-- Kurt Cobain
>>
Who is this guy? I have seen him posted many times, but could not find anything relevant about him. Is he just some old sperg who blogs about music?
>>
>>66354601
>Is he just some old sperg who blogs about music?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Christgau

Yeesh.
>>
>>66354601
Imagine Scaruffi, but instead of embracing complexity in music, he condemns it.
>>
On Avery Island [Merge, 1996] :(

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea [Merge, 1998] :(
>>
>>66354651
Also look at his AnCo and Slint reviews.

This kills the /mu/core.
>>
>>66354601
One of the first generation rock critics from the counterculture era. Semi-retired now that he's in his 70s. Is known to jerk off to pop stars and punk rock while shitting on metal and prog. Usually writes two sentence insults passing as a "review" and a lot of times just slaps a bomb or sad face on an album and calls it a day.
>>
How does he even make money?
>>
Astro Lounge [Interscope, 1998]

surveying the planet from a temporary vantage point ("When the Morning Comes", "Satellite") **
>>
>>66354673
>implying anyone actually listens to ITAOTS
>implying it's not just a meme album
>>
>>66354651
Meanwhile, he wrote an entire graduate thesis on a Janet Jackson album.
>>
Exmilitary [Third Worlds download, 2011]
Death-metal hip-hop for El-P fans who secretly wish the Insane Clown Posse wasn't so dumb ("Blood Creepin," "Klink") ***
>>
File: costanza.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>66353642
>rekt
>not ON SUICIDE WATCH
what is fucking wrong with you
>>
>>66355041
A *** means that the album is excellent but not for everyone
>>
>>66354189
you used the word nigger so he thinks you are racist. Because he is a dumbass
>>
>>66355385
im not even racist but if i cant even use the n-word on this cantonese shitposting memeboard now it just means this place is becoming tumblr-lite
>>
>>66354071

Rather I think he means a lot of metal hides behind complexity as a songwriting tool over actual songwriting.

I enjoy metal but there's far too many bands out there with 7 minute songs with random 'complex' elements (like random time signatures, but the actual guitar part being easy)

Look no further than Metallica; their 80s output consists for a very large portion of songs that could have easily been shorter and nothing would have been lost.

The same with all of these technical death metal bands who just keep pooping out 70 minute long albums that do not contain a single hook or memorable riff.
>>
>>66353209
>kids love it
since when? The only and the biggest difference here is the fact that when rock and roll was introduced in the 50's to the plebs and most of them enjoyed it. As for metal you have to be pretty damn autistic kid to enjoy it. Rock and roll musicians had charisma and the looks (usually) but metal musicians have just their middle-age crisis and autism.
>>
>>66354726
2deep4you pleb?
and itaots isn't even difficult to 'get'.
>>
>>66355600
>Look no further than Metallica; their 80s output consists for a very large portion of songs that could have easily been shorter and nothing would have been lost

Hey, they even admitted themselves that they got a little carried away on AJFA and ended up with a bunch of songs that were too long to play live.
>>
>>66355600
>Look no further than Metallica; their 80s output consists for a very large portion of songs that could have easily been shorter and nothing would have been lost.
>The same with all of these technical death metal bands who just keep pooping out 70 minute long albums that do not contain a single hook or memorable riff
That would more describe St. Anger which tried to have s00per long ebic songs but not the material to go along with them.
>>
I still find it a little weird that Christgau gave Reign in Blood a B+.
>>
>>66353209
I think what he's saying here is that he believes music should bring people together like how 50s rock-and-roll had white, black, male, and female fans but metal is just angry white dudes.
>>
>>66357277
>implying his beloved punk isn't same
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.