[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone not really into UK Garage, can someone explain why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: eac1d3bc.jpg (32 KB, 455x455) Image search: [Google]
eac1d3bc.jpg
32 KB, 455x455
As someone not really into UK Garage, can someone explain why this record is so groundbreaking/loved so much.
>>
good opening track
>>
>>66349293
It perfectly captured the feeling of post-club loneliness, it distilled influences from dance music into something musical (for lack of a better term) and introspective, and for better or worse it made esoteric UK styles visible to Americans.
>>
>>66349309
Is that it? The opening track and Ghost Hardware are decent tracks but the whole thing just sounds like a sperg masturbating over Ableton
>>
>>66349348
>americans
jesus christ
>>
>>66349339
Hmm, interesting. I must admit that it does sound like 'come down' music. I'll listen to it with that in mind.

As for influencing Yanks I always figured it was the harsher sounds of Caspa/Rusko who caught their attention.
>>
>>66349374
Not American buddy, try again. Dance music culture where I'm from is all about that 4x4 so we weren't exposed to UK bass.
>>
>>66349379
not that anon, but yeah, burial is more about the memory or echo of the club once you leave - when the tunes are still still in yer head but more of an ephemeral imprint if ya know what i mean.

plus the sub bass...man...
>>
>>66349379
Yeah, read interviews with him to get a better idea.

>influencing yanks
It didn't influence any kind of Yank movement, that's not what I meant.

Burial made 2step and garage - VERY uk specific styles - available and accessible to people who otherwise would never have heard them (I assume like yourself) by virtue of just making good and emotive music using those influences. You can look at the fact that Untrue appears next to many other /mu/-core records in several 'essentials' charts as evidence of this. It doesn't fit at all, and that's strange.
Garage and 2step was made global by Untrue, whether people understood and respected the *very* specific context or not, which is where this record gets so divisive. Some people without any experience, knowledge or understanding of UK dance music seem to 'get' it, and others don't.
>>
>>66349293
>loved so much.

Its /mu/core.

People come here, swap their Billboard libraries for /mu/core libraries and never bother exploring further, just circlejerk over the same few albums in each genre.
>>
>>66349456
to be fair there is no one who sounds exactly like burial, not even el-b.
>>
>>66349456
Exactly. This is part of the reason Untrue makes people so antsy. It totally, totally destroyed the context in which the music was supposed to be understood, and made it become discussed on the same level as fucking Radiohead. It entered entirely the wrong discourse.

Think of it in terms of world music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo1ONZPAJrI
>>
>>66349471
I dunno, not that into garage desu but its not exclusive to the genre, it happens in most
>>
>>66349504
burial's not even strictly garage tho - that's part of the issue. besides the knock-offs that came after him, there really isn't any one who sounds exactly like him. i agree with ur assessment about the pitfalls of /mu/ and /mu/-culture, but this is a case where there really isn't much to "dig into" if you want to find something that sounds exactly like burial. of course you can be more knowledgable of the producers/scenes/genres that inspired him, as well as his peers, but that's not exactly the same thing.
>>
>>66349293
it's not uk garage.
it's not groundbreaking

it's just a very interesting thing to come out of dubstep, something unexpected.

>>66349443
>Burial made 2step and garage
shoot yourself

>>66349550
Burial is absolutely not garage.
>>
>>66349650
dubstep is garage
>>
>>66349650
How's your reading comprehension?

I specifically said he used INFLUENCES from those genres. And yes, dubstep as well.
>>
>>66349650
>>66349656
honestly this has been one of the biggest gamechangers in post-2000s dance/club culture - the amount of cross-pollination between genres. it became harder to consolidate them. this is why there hasn't really been an insular "scene" in a while - the last i remember is the bristol style experimental dubstep/techno hybrids that started cropping up around '07/'08.
>>
>>66349711
You mean the Hessle lot?
>>
>>66349656
nah
does this sound like garage to you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIey7K3l-FE

in the words of wiley:
garridge
i don't care about garridge
listen to this it don't sound like garridge
who told u that I make garridge?
wiley kat got his own sound its not garridge
made in a studio and not in a garridge
here in london there's a sound called garridge
this is my own sound it sure ain't garridge

>>66349711
well, yes, but dubstep was still a very secluded thing during its time.
it was just dubstep with the occasional grime mc picking up a tune and chatting on it (skepta and Midnight Request Line and Flowdan during that time in general come to mind)

it only opened up after dubstep was pretty much dead and gone, because dubstep was the last big thing, everything afterwards was forgotten.
And I'm near certain that the bristol things started in the 2010s.
>>
>>66349293
There was really nothing that came before or after that sounded like this. Even the copycats like BONECOLD and volor flex haven't matched the rawness, the vibes, the rusty night time restraunt rhythms.

The percussion is messy with an ever-arching sense of human error. It's a flawed album, and that in itself is a positive thing.

If you want the abridged version of why it's so good, the messy pencil album cover matches the album unbelievably perfectly.
>>
Rainy nights on an empty bus, soundtrack for the post club loneliness walking home at 5am in November, in McDonald's on a rainy evening. That feel, all the feels, an introspective album, clickity clack sounds, the vocals that have been pitched up and down, kinda sexy, drinking warm tea as hot air leaves your mouth on a cold January morning. Burial - untrue
>>
>>66349776
yeah, you're right - getting all my detail muddied, mate. but still bristol was doin some pretty weirder crossover shit in the mid-2000s - think skull disco and punch drunk and some of pinch's shit. that definitely started to draw in a diff sort of audience and sort of ushered in the hessle/hemlock age.

dubstep was def secluded for a time but it was those crossovers that exposed it to a wider audience. grime never really had that apart from boy in da corner, so it stayed more insulated (tho that may change)
>>
>>66349339
This, perfect.
It takes the style of music famous for clubs and extrovert sounds, and turned it into what everyone was feeling at the time.

In other words, it took the headspace of the rave and club culture and made it using tropes of each one
>>
Derailing this thread to ask for more post-club post-rave music
>>
File: 1453324711622.jpg (11 KB, 534x275) Image search: [Google]
1453324711622.jpg
11 KB, 534x275
>>66349293
I was seriously about to make this exact same thread today. I appreciate it for its contributions to modern electronica (and pretty great production) but I got really damn tired of hearing that same beat with the same snare getting re-hashed over and over and over...
>>
>>66350101
Burial - Street Halo, I know it's another Burial Ep but I feel this one catches the post/club blues perfectly, the vocals used are exceptional too. Enjoy, if you haven't heard it already that is
>>
>>66350114
case in point: american failing to bond with it due to absolute no reference points of dance music

"re-hased snare" lmao
>>
>>66350143
see also: """electronica""" lmao
>>
>>66350101
Same guy here, I felt like mentioning, the first track of the album/Ep (Street Halo) reminds me kind of when you leave the club but you're still waiting outside/near it for either a cab or a friend and you can still hear the drums and bass of the songs, whereas the second song is when you've finally been dropped off by the cab a few blocks away from your house so you can enjoy a peaceful walk home and reminisce on the events that occurred that night. Just my two cents, those two songs have very different feels. Check em' buddy
>>
File: IMG_08741.jpg (196 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_08741.jpg
196 KB, 720x1280
>>66350143
> stop not liking what I LIKE!!!
> you HAVE to bond with it!!!
>>
>>66350155
it's honestly depressing

i love being a london brer and having this insight but at the same time sometimes i wish i was a yank so i wouldn't have to put up with this shit

ignorance is bliss
>>
>>66350180
music - especially club music - doesn't exist in a vacuum. you have to take into account the proper context of the scene. it's essential. hell, some genres only exist (and then died) because of the exact timing lending it relevance. see: techstep.

>>66350195
i feel u
>>
>>66350180
>called out for clear ignorance
>super defensive
lol. it has nothing to do with subjectivity and "liking" things you spaz, see >>66349443 and >>66349484

read interviews with him and you'll understand the importance of reconciling the record via understanding its context within dance music and uk club culture
>>
>>66349293
I lived in south london until I left for university, and Burial was an aliumni at a shitty local comprehensive also known for rearing four tet and hot chip

essentially they were the only inner-city school in the area which was worse than ours, comparatively our only claim to fame is that Adele thought she'd end up a pregnant teenage mother if she stuck it out here

But I digress - the album has a lot of personal/contextual significance to me because of how it takes the fast-paced and crowded experience of the environment I grew up in, and turns it into something profoundly alienating and unsettling. It turns the communal aspect of dance music completely on its head
>>
>all these pardners

true Londoner here, no one gives a fuck about this UK Garbage snoozefest
>>
>>66350101
There's a very good Spotify playlist called "4am Comedown" with a lot of similar music.
>>
>>66350101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMc5Gz_Ru5s

This track was my shit back in 2011.
>>
>>66350101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ff4TYLPT0
>>
>>66349293
Trip hop for the current generation.
>>
>>66350366
lmao
>>
>>66349339

It's also essential "walking alone in the early morning on a cold night"-core.
>>
This dance music scene you guys keep talking about is awful, its not a music scene just an excuse to take drugs, pretty sad.
>>
File: tumblr_llbo2tg8Ps1qgrokgo1_1280.jpg (146 KB, 689x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_llbo2tg8Ps1qgrokgo1_1280.jpg
146 KB, 689x1280
>>66351159
In America maybe.
>>
>>66351159
t. never been to a legit club
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.