[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here actually understand noise music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 15
File: IMG_8307.jpg (117 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8307.jpg
117 KB, 800x533
Does anyone here actually understand noise music?
>>
I like it but I'm too pleb to adequately describe why.
>>
yeah
>>
>>66330936
>music
its just noise thats the whole point
>>
>>66330936
What do you mean understand?

It's just texture based. And you get the added benefit of being smug and calling others plebs for not getting it.
>>
Yes, because I have tinnitus
>>
>>66330975
>its just noise
all music is organized noise.
>>
I can relate to it
>>
>>66330990
>And you get the added benefit of being smug and calling others plebs for not getting it.
actually, most people that like noise stuff are the opposite of that. I know with some of the people here that must be human embodiments of memes that acting that way is something to be proud of but really your are just perpetuating untrue sterotypes.
>>
>>66331034
lol far out man, really deep stuff

noise is the opposite of music you tard
>>
>>66330958
this
>>66330973
no
>>66330975
lol
>>66330990
>texture
>>66331022
lol
>>66331034
damn...
>>66331049
what do you mean?
>>
>>66331089
you aren't very smart, are you?
>>
File: projection-tv-front-projection.jpg (10 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
projection-tv-front-projection.jpg
10 KB, 400x272
>>66331125
>>
>>66331088
I said that for my own amusement and to fit in desu.
>>
>>66330936
Its like most music, its about the scene & the social aspect. If you take away from that, its essentially a dead form that being beaten to death.

The release of noise music onto physical media to be brought into mass distribution is nice, & i appreciate it, but its a "dead" form of noise. Noise was, & is, a form best enjoyed live. Anyone who has not experienced it live (essentially, those who only listen to it & experienced the dead form) will never truly understand it. I know I certainly don't.
>>
>>66331088
this. most ppl i know that like noise are really chill but theres always a couple dickheads

its funny how ppl think "deep" and other hipster esque genres make you stuck up however id say hip hop purism takes the lead of ignorance by farrrrrrrr

and fuck kanye fags
>>
>>66330936
I enjoy some noise because it keeps me from thinking completely. When I get in a bad mood I just love it because I feel like some type of god destroying towns or causing pain to people in the worse ways. It depends on what type of noise though, there's some beautiful noise releases out there.
>>
Noise music is not for everyone. I almost consider it as ambient in my head. I like it at very specific times.
>>
>>66331390
please recc your favorite noise music anon i trust you
>>
>>66331170
yes, because stating a fact makes me less inteligent than some one that throws a tantrum and angry assumes that I am trying to be "deep" just because what I said goes against the mission that some of the noise MUSIC artists proclaim for self promotional reasons.
>>
>>66331479
>angry
I obviously meant angrily
>>
>>66331390
I tend to not be big on the openly angry noise music, I really prefer the stuff that sounds more nuetral, I feel like it kind of shuts down my mind in a pleasurable way, once I get a new smartphone or music player I want to do an experiment where I just listen to it constantly (I have a brainwash fetish)
>>
>>66330936
I enjoy the brain-melting wild aspect of noise music, I'm energized by it, and on some level I get some sort masochistic pleasure out of the genre.
>>
>>66331479
>accuses of throwing a tantrum
>proceeds to throw tantrum
have you even looked at the definition of noise?

its not supposed to be music, that would defeat the purpose

>>66331462
this
>>
I always thought of it as harsh ambient music
>>
i can't really speak on pure, harsh noise like merzbow, but the closest thing to that which i genuinely enjoy is whitehouse. for me, the appeal of the really noisey stuff i like is usually that it feels like the most real, vivid, transcendent thing i can experience. like, way beyond real life. it can be really overpoweringly beautiful at times.

i also used to play in a noise duo where my friend would mess with a contact mic running through a bunch of pedals, and i would play drums. with that, it was really just about raw expression. like a feeling of opening yourself up and violently vomiting pushing your insides out of yourself. we both agreed that it wasn't as much about the result as it was about the act of playing it.

i guess my point is that there are a bunch of different things you can get out of playing or listening to noise music or music with noise elements. i don't think there's only one way to enjoy it.
>>
What differentiates a good noise piece from a bad one? That's I'm really curious about as someone who is trying to understand noise
>>
>>66331685
all you do is repeat marketing statements, you yourself need to read up on what music is. if the genre wasn't music there would be no organization to it what so ever, it would literally just be random noises, it would sound like a child that recorded noises onto their cheep 80s sampling keyboard pressing random buttons. Having an edgy mission statement doesn't make something true and not all noise musicians even adhere to it.
>>
i honestly am addicted to noise. nothing has the same mental effect for me, i actually think that we interpret noise in a different part of the brain to music with conventional elements. it generally doesn't operate on an ordinary emotional level, there's no "forced feeling" via melody. i like the sound of garbage trucks, the screeching metallic machinery sounds. noise is like that to me, an unusual sound that appears artful to me. it's captivating mentally and yet allows you to focus on other things. it can have a hypnotic effect. i just find noise really comfy when it's done well. it's a sonic environment to dwell in for a while and it helps shut out the rest of the world. for me, the impact of noise and the feel of it that i get is like if you imagine a character in a movie suddenly having a realization of something and instead of ordinary melodic music playing in the background, some brutal strange noise bursts in and sort of warps everything around it. a good example would be the glitch visuals at a merzbow live in tokyo 2016 video where amidst the glitching visuals it says "TODAY HAS BEEN CANCELLED". noise is somewhat part of that feeling, that momentary shock of something. like how incapacitants was originally named "contradictory bridge". it cramps your mind.
>>
>>66331799
listen to whatever sounds good or interesting to you, there isn't really an objective way of saying what is quality noise
>>
everyone who bash Merzbow should listen to this album at least once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCkOEGkZFU
>>
WTF DOES MARZBOW LIKE THE SMITHS???!?!?
>>
>>66331799
for me, badly made noise does not have enough motion and change to it, it becomes boring and doesn't expand on the free roaming mood. there is a powerful force of motion in good noise that feels intense and extreme, like merzbow's idea of his sound as reflecting metal, literally metallic objects and the silver sheen of the sound, or orgone energy. there's the idea of force, motion, persisting through time, unrelenting like the shock of an atom bom.
>>
>>66331881
Most of his songs are just Smiths songs sped up.
>>
>>66331799
I look for how it makes me feel and how it differentiates from the wankery of your average noise release. That's why I prefer the type of noise that blends with elements of other genres.
>>
>>66331874
Merzbeat is actually one of my least favorite of the albums that I've listened to, I prefer the ambient blanket of noise stuff.
>>
>>66331881
maybe, but he's probably just agreeing that meat is indeed murder. Merzbow is a vegan and an animal rights activist

quite a couple of his albums are made for the benefit of animals
>>
>>66331843
yeah I'm aware that taste is subjective, yet in noise threads there are artists more praised than others, and I want to understand why
>>
>>66331925
lol wut?
>>
>>66331971
to be honest it's really pretty much who ever is best known on this board, that goes for about every genre here, sadly, the only place where lesser known music is given a chance seems to be the sharethread these days, and even then you will have people accusing you of being edgy or hipster or pretentious for posting it once in a while.
>>
>>66331954
sure, that's cool. im just saying that people who go "hurr durr its noise no rythm!!" needs to listen to that album because it proves them wrong.
>>
File: Merzbau.jpg (31 KB, 348x459) Image search: [Google]
Merzbau.jpg
31 KB, 348x459
you don't have to blast noise as loud as possible every time, either. most of the time i have it on a reasonable level on headphones or desk speakers two feet away from my head. of course, it's a much different experience really blasting it, but you can still enjoy it at safe levels.

i remember the first time i blasted merzbow's album surabhi at night with the windows open. i happened to go outside and realized it sounded like there was some space-time warping alien abduction going on in my house.

also pic related. merzbow the name was based on this particular art piece. if you think of noise (well, merzbow at least) as the sonic equivalent of this visual then it might click. many of merzbow's albums were done live without overdubs and when you really hear the chaos unfolding that becomes all the more impressive.
>>
>>66331022
I honestly don't know how any serious music listener doesn't have tinnitus. It's sort of like losing your plebian virginity
>>
>>66331721

nail on the head
if you understand ambient then the exact same principle applies to noise, just with abrasive sound
>>
File: 450239801_db309ca7c2.jpg (108 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
450239801_db309ca7c2.jpg
108 KB, 500x375
>>66332082
>if you think of noise (well, merzbow at least) as the sonic equivalent of this visual then it might click

obviously, there's much more to it than that. sometimes the throbbing pulses and glitching noise reminds me of having a panic attack with heart racing and mind on red alert. i once had a dream of masami akita being interviewed but instead of being in human form he was just a bunch of wires and effect pedals connected together and speaking. that kind of informed my subsequent experience of noise ever since.
>>
>>66332154

lmfao
was dream merzbow speaking in english or in noise?
>>
>>66331970
I still find it funny that some people got so angry about him coming out on vegan
I wish I had screencapped the merzbow wikipedia article back when some one added a paragraph ranting about how bad his music was now that he uses laptops and became a vegan. I'm sure it's the history but I can't be bothered to sift through it.
>>
>>66331799

Here is my personal shit opinion:

good noise music is often complex, energetic, dips into or influenced by multiple genre's, has a elaborate set-up and use's various instruments to create the piece.

Bad noise is often really simple, repetitive, has a tact-on thesis statement to explain its purpose, low energy, just dicking around with feedback'n'filters and calling it "experimental".
>>
>>66332097
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>66330958
me
>>
>>66332329
what exactly do you mean by "energy" in this case? do you consider ambient noise inherently bad just because it's not very energetic music or is that not actually what you mean?
>>
>>66332597
>>66332329
also, I will add that judging music as some how worse if it uses less instruments/less elaborate of a setup is ridiculous,This is the same mentality that dismissed synthbased music as somehow less than music made with traditional instruments in the 80s and computer based music more recently.
>>
I've cried to Whitehouse.
>>
>>66332853
Which release?
>>
>>66332097
not everyone listens to music on headphones, or that loud.
>>
>>66332082
I like this a lot.
>>
>>66332723
>>66332597

For the first part:
Again, its just a personal opinion but I like my noise to have energy in the sense of speed, loudness, and complexity. And your right on the ambient noise, I don't think its inherently bad, its just mostly not for me. I would have to be in a certain mood for ambient noise or noisy drone.

As for the second part:
Your right again, I'm poor at describing things. I guess its just that I like to think I can tell when someone puts effort towards a piece and someone who dicked around with a track during a saturday afternoon. I hear something and it just clicks,
>>
It sounds cool and actually takes advantage of modern technology instead of just regurgitating the same shit over and over again just to get smile happy stickers from people who say "music saved my life maaan"?
>>
I listen to noise when I want to stop thinking. It helps me shut out the world around me.

>>66333444
>dubs
>double trips
nice, nice
>>
>>66330958
/thread
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
>>66333444
>dubs
>double trips

NICE
>>
>>66333444
nutritional digits
>>
>>66333444
>actually takes advantage of modern technology instead of just regurgitating the same shit over and over

1. Most noise musicians use gear and production techniques which have been around for decades. The result of that gear and production techniques is usually a variant on musical forms which have been around since the early 20th century and which had periods of blooming in the middle of the century and again in the late 70s/early 80s.

If you're looking for modernity, noise music is just about the last place to look. The noise audience's still-ongoing fetishistic obsession with the cassette tape is a perfect symbol for the obsolete nature of the vast majority of the genre's producers.

2."Regurgitating the same shit over and over" is what 99.9% of noise music amounts to. Studying the genre from its proper kickoff toward the end of the 70s up until today shows an evolution which progresses and develops at a snail's pace. The amount of ground which has been covered in all this time is depressingly tiny.

I say these things as someone who is pretty fond of noise music and who has kept up with the wider sphere of it for a long time. By and large, the genre is a derivative and utterly conservative landfill, playing to an audience too narrow-minded and underdeveloped in their interests and involvement with art to realize the outdated redundancy of the artform and culture which they are partaking in.
The number of strongly individual voices within it is tiny. The number of genuinely groundbreaking and forward-thinking voices is even smaller than that.

>just to get smile happy stickers from people who say "music saved my life maaan"

Are you 16? You're certainly ignorant and self-involved enough to suggest the possibility.
>>
>>66334035

>listens to merzbow once
>>
>>66334035
What do you define as progress for the genre? Landmark releases? I'm curious.
>>
>>66330936
There's literally nothing to understand

Counterpoint and fugues on the other hand. There is a LOT to understand.
>>
>>66330936
I get noise rock and grindcore/power violence but pure Noise hurts my ears.
>>
>>66334074
Merzbow hasn't been relevant in almost 20 years at this point. His last notable contribution to the genre's development was his early embrace of computer software-based production(which was still not something he was alone in doing).
If you want to see a perfect embodiment of noise at its most conservative and risk-devoid, go to a contemporary Merzbow performance.
>>
>>66333444
Nice trips, but this is a shit argument
>>
>>66334179

Merzbow is the last person you should be calling conservative. He makes splits with regular bands a lot now and has that free jazz drummer that plays with him all the time. And he still has been releasing new albums and doing shows? So how is Merzbow not relevant? You're obviously just some kid who has been in a few /noise/ threads and thinks he's seen it all.
>>
>>66334179
>things people say who know nothing about Merzbow
>>
>>66331925
This
>>
>>66334270
Hyperproductivity does not equal relevance or creative vitality. Oftentimes it equals the exact opposite, actually.
Merzbow can still occasionally put out a decent album. What he cannot do, however, is putting out an album which brings anything noteworthy or novel to either his catalog or the genre itself. Merzbow albums in this day and age are just filling out a market demand.

>You're obviously just some kid who has been in a few /noise/ threads and thinks he's seen it all.

My continued interest in noise has been a thing for a little over a decade now, and I don't recall ever making a single post in those naff noise generals.
Are you the same poster from above? You really sound like a snotty brat, man.

>>66334360
Enlighten me.
>>
>>66334691

What kind of stuff do you like then? Because saying that Merzbow is too "safe" and doesn't put out any interesting makes you look like a poser. I didn't even like him at first because a lot of his stuff is kind of high pitched and more experimental and not as many harsh walls.
>>
>>66330936
I have synesthesia so yes
>>
>>66334741
What is some good HNW?
>>
File: 1468192575739.jpg (182 KB, 990x644) Image search: [Google]
1468192575739.jpg
182 KB, 990x644
>>66333133
>I don't go to shows and clubs the post
>I'm a sheltered overprotected little clean boy the post
>I'm not a garbage child the post
>>
>>66334820

I don't really listen to HNW, The Rita and Cherry Point are good though. For harsh stuff Government Alpha, Tralphaz, Breakdancing Ronald Reagan, Fecal Dam....just use soulseek
>>
>>66334832

>i stood inside the venue the whole time like a statue and never went outside to talk to anyone
>>
>>66334741
I haven't said anything about Merzbow as a whole, only Merzbow's current output. He has made some colossal contributions to the genre throughout the 80s and 90s.
>>
File: 1468096979296.png (456 KB, 716x712) Image search: [Google]
1468096979296.png
456 KB, 716x712
>>66334903
>projecting
>going to shows to talk to people
>standing still ever
>not dancing

absolute scum
>>
>>66334943

>not going to the show and staying outside the whole time talking and smoking cigarrettes, never going inside
>>
>>66334872
Thanks man
>>
I appreciate the textures, atmospheres and dynamics present in alot of noise music.
>>
>>66334872
>BRR
lol
>>
File: cover.jpg (24 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
24 KB, 400x398
>>66331874
Replace merzbeat with this
>>
>>66334691
>What he cannot do, however, is putting out an album which brings anything noteworthy or novel to either his catalog or the genre itself. Merzbow albums in this day and age are just filling out a market demand.

I agree and disagree with this statement. I've listened to about 70% of his discography so far, and there's definitely some albums that just don't stick out that much. If anything it's every other album I'd like to say is worth listening to.

The problem is since there's so many albums a lot of the hidden gems are overlooked and don't get much attention.

i.e. Hole, Mercurated, New Takamagahara
>>
>>66335293

The more I get into noise the more I appreciate Merzbow. He does a lot of weird experimental sounds and uses MAX/MSP and stuff, but he's still not above doing some disgusting shit with a contact mic and distortion pedal going through marshall stacks.
>>
You like ambient music? Same thing.

I can't believe people still want explanations as to why people enjoy noise music. There isn't much to it, lol.
>>
>>66331842
>>66332140
This.
I always put ambient in my noise playlist (and vice versa).
>>
>>66335427
People just don't get it because it's harsh and isn't immediately pleasing to the ear. It's not even necessarily meant to be listened to at louder volumes, sometimes you should just put it on in the background and let it wash over you.

Another thing that scares people off is the whole "noise is anti-music, fuck you and fuck everything" attitude that a lot of noise folks seem to have.
>>
>>66335688
>>66335427

Noise and power electronics are essentially harsh ambient. Unstructured, all about atmosphere and texture
>>
>>66335091
He's not all bad
>>
>>66334179
i disagree. many of my favorite merzbow albums are from 2000 onwards and those were what initially drew me in. for example: merzbuddha from 2006 is an important merzbow release, a whole string of mid to late 2000s albums stand out among his harshest 90s classics. i'm more into his solo stuff than the collaborations these days but maybe it's a transitional phase. some of his recent albums using the analog equipment sounds a bit lofi and weak compared to his past brutal releases but i've still found them worthwhile listening. i still like the sound of merzbow in its present day forms. there's an interview where he says even if he used the same old equipment, he couldn't get the same sound, the motivation is different now.
>>
>>66336013
by the way has anyone else been enjoying Konchuuki?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQ9cu5kyDQ

at first i wasn't getting into it then i had it on again while reading the encyclopedia of insects and it became a very interesting soundtrack. i think this is the best of the recent merzbow solo releases like wildwood, Nezumimochi, etc but then again i find that i'll overlook an album and misjudge it as unremarkable and later experience it again and really get into it, so there's probably people who love these recent discs but not konchuuki
>>
>>66330936

MUH TEXTURES
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 470x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 470x626
>>66336845
>adding "muh" to something to make fun of it
>>
>>66337325

>Always Sunny-posting

kys
>>
I lost my virginity while listening to noise.
>>
>>66337544
If this is true then I would love to hear the story
>>
>>66330936
Misic is an abstraction of society around it. For example, we currently have artists like Kanye, Desiigner, and other shiggy niggys topping the charts.
We also had vaporwave. Both reflect our hedonistic and capitalistic tendencies as a society.

Now noise, typically lacking rhythm and other basic musical constructs, comes in and goes completely against what we have above. It begs to destroy cultural constructs, it begs the listener to leave their cultural safe space. Noise music is a catalyst for inter and intra personal change.

That is my experience anyway.
>>
>>66334179
Merzbow made AOTY w/ Boris tho, so you are objectively wrong.
>>
File: Gensho.jpg (119 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Gensho.jpg
119 KB, 300x300
>>66337856
Gensho is so fucking awesome
>>
>>66330936
if you don't, you are an absolute garbage pleb mate
>>
>>66338841
I just listened to Feedbacker a little while ago. I haven't heard this one yet, but I'll try it now.
>>
>>66337815
This is a much more eloquent phrasing of the "noise is anti-everything" approach, and actually makes me respect it
>>
>>66330936
I've studied music for most of my life (college diploma in music, bachelor's degree in classical guitar performance) and the thing that I love about noise and other experimental music is the complete lack of predictability. When you work with it enough, even Stockhausen can be predictable. Harsh noise has none of the trappings of western music, there are no notes, keys, scales, harmonic functions, chords, rhythms etc. It has the ability to move without leading the ear, or to stand still without repetition. Appreciation isn't really possible in an academic way because it relies on being able to identify structure; this is impossible in noise, aside from figuring out what equipment the artist is using. The enjoyment (or lack thereof) is entirely visceral and primal, you hear it and you react. It could be on the level of witnessing a stabbing, or watching a sunset. I like to describe noise to people who are unfamiliar with it as the audio version of abstract art. Jackson Pollock translated into sound.
>>
File: 420.jpg (252 KB, 983x1013) Image search: [Google]
420.jpg
252 KB, 983x1013
>>66340444
I don't really like harsh noise (or much noise in general, save for MBV and Swans type stuff), but this is a great explanation. Thanks.
>>
>>66330936
it's noise. it doesn't have a meaning.
>>
>>66330936

>noise
>not music
>>
File: 1467914321426.png (459 KB, 544x610) Image search: [Google]
1467914321426.png
459 KB, 544x610
>>66340444
>>
>>66330958
this
The textures are interesting
the rest is hard to explain
>>66330990
fuck off
>>
>>66337815

I've always felt like this is what extreme music is to me. Especially when I visit Mexico City to see my extended family and see some guys wearing metal shirts and black and crazy hair and shit. It's easy to say in the US that its gay but its like, yeah I'd rather talk to that guy than some fucking daddy yankee wannabee or something. Fuck those normies around the globe, man.
>>
I'm listening to some for the first time now but really quietly.
>>
>>66341561
good way to get into it. just let it kinda exist in the background, replace the silence
>>
>>66341617
I bet you listen to a lot of noise and are really excited at the prospect of involving new listeners, cute.
>>
>>66341715

Go hang yourself :)
>>
File: in lulz we trust.gif (8 KB, 735x124) Image search: [Google]
in lulz we trust.gif
8 KB, 735x124
>>66330936
no but i like it
>>
>>66341740
lel
>>
>>66341741
logan is that guy that really likes sonic youth. i've seen his comments everywhere.
>>
>>66334832
I do go to clubs and shows though, but I wear earplugs when needed like a normal person that wants to keep their hearing throughout the majority of their life. Tinnitus is not cool, you fucking retard, it's not some battle scar for being a TRVE MVSIC LISTENER, it's a fucking debilitating aural disorder. Anyone who likes to subject their ears to trauma and pain so they can "look cool" is a fucking tool.
>>
>>66341715
How horrifying
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.