[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What kind of music do you like? How the FUCK do I respond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (330 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
330 KB, 600x600
>What kind of music do you like?
How the FUCK do I respond to this without seeming weird/I intend to make friends with the person asking? Like, am I supposed to like a specific genre? Even if I did, I feel like unless I said rap, country, or pop it would seem out of place?

What do you do in this situation moo?
>>
I just rattle off my aotysf list until they stop me or walk away.
>>
>>66323064
Just sound weird. Who cares?
>>
>>66323064
I don't listen to music.
>>
>>66323064
I never understand people who find this to be a problem. Just tell them exactly what you like, who gives a fuck if it's different to what they like or if it makes you appear "odd" or "out of the ordinary."
>>
>>66323064
>honestly i listen to obscure stuff because im bored
>>
>>66323064
I tell them I don't listen to music if they are a girl- they take it as a soft form of aloofness and flirtation apparently. They pry and then I say electronic, and they ask if I like EDM. I say yes and they say I should come hang out with them at a festival sometime.
>>
"lots of stuff, it's my main hobby. What do you like?"
>>
Ask what they like and then go form there to find a common ground.
>>
>>66323079
Are You Insanity is that you?
>>
>>66323207
THIS

>implying you have weird obscure tastes that can't be explained easily
>>
File: 1465715024360.jpg (171 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1465715024360.jpg
171 KB, 408x408
>>66323064
>what kind of music do you like
>mostly black metal and doom metal, jazz and ambient are also up there
what's so hard op?
>>
>>66323207
when you tell somebody you enjoy a band they've never heard of, a lot get real defensive and act like your a hipster as if you think you're better than them for liking the Velvet Underground or something.

Best bet is, as OP said, just saying "rap or country" if you want everyone to like you. I would say if you're not concerned with making friends though, just do whatever.

Real life people suck man
>>
>>Obnoxious hipster bullshit

This way you aren't lying, and sound like you have a sense of humor
>>
i just bring up a concert i'm going to soon or one that i just went to
>>
"I like to keep up with modern artists but I still enjoy the classics." Just be really vague about it if you really don't know what to say.
>>
>>66323239
no
>>
>>66323064
"These days I'm listening to some more indie rock stuff [name drop of semi-popular band here like The Lumineers], a while ago I was really big on hip-hop though. How about you?"
>>
''Anything groovy''
>>
File: 1288777123372s.jpg (11 KB, 251x226) Image search: [Google]
1288777123372s.jpg
11 KB, 251x226
>>66323207
>What kind of music do you like anon
>I'm reallly in to slowcore
>pic related
Nah it's easier to just say I like all kinds of music and inquire about they're tastes and go from there
>>
>>66323377
Or instead of slowcore you can say "slower, quieter rock music."
>>
>>66323064
I usually just say to this question
>Yeah all kinds of music, really into punk, indie, some underground electronic stuff, all sorts really
>>
>>66323457
This is a good one OP. Be as broad as you can be while still using somewhat specific genres.

Instead of saying
>I'm into I'm into math rock, emo, and post hardcore
Say
>I'm into a lot of underground rock groups, I listen to whatever I think sounds interesting
Is probably the best you can do. Good luck.
>>
>I listen to anything. I'm quite the all-rounder! hehe
>>
>I like lot's of Psychedelic stuff, different styles of electronic music, some folk and Jazz.

Wow so hard.
>>
>>66323447
I used to work in a restaurant as a dishwasher. There was a radio where we could play music and I'd play the most tame shit I had because I know other people have to listen to it. I was constantly told my music was depressing still. And it's weird because so much of the shit I listen to I wouldn't consider depressing compared to something like Giles Corey, but most people never delve in half that deep. One time I was listening to Elliott Smith, and granted hes pretty depressing, but someone came up and was like "Is this elliot smith?"and I got all stoked like yeah dude you like him? And he was just like "I have his cd in my car, I never listen to it because its way too depressing". This is why I don't talk to people about music anymore
>>
>>66323261
That's just their own insecurity talking then. If i find myself caught up in a situation (described many times on /mu/) where someone thinks i'm weird or looks down on me because of the music i listen to, i know that i don't want to know or be around this person because they are obviously insecure and too easily influenced by trends.
There is no need to make friends with obnoxious normies.
>>
File: s.jpg (21 KB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
21 KB, 300x222
My issue in these scenarios is as follows:
>Person: Hey man what kinda music you into?
>Me: Well ya know, it varies. Right now I've been listening to a lot of Pet Sounds, ya know like 60s Psychadelic Pop and the like.
>Them: Oh hey!! I love the Beatles!
>Me: Yeah they're sweet! What's your favorite album?
>Them: I just like a couple songs like Let it Be
>Me: Oh okay, what else do you listen to?
>Drake, Fetty, Evanescence

then i spurg out
>>
>>66323567
If you knew Elliott Smith was depressing why'd you play it? Folks don't like being depressed at work. Otherwise I hear what you're saying. Tried getting a friend to listen to Spiderland a while ago. He gave me the CD back saying it was "scary."
>>
>>66323064

I have a hard time wth this question people recently came to ask me. I mean, am I suppose to say a genre? a known artist that I liker OR an artist I actually love but isn't known?

Am I suppose to say I like soundtracks? I enjoy video game and anime weebo shit stuff?
Am I suppose to say I enjoy and love listening to punk/alternative rock(indie/whatever music of artists from another country, from another continent, that no one gives a fuck?
Some weird shit I tend to dig around the Internet?
etc?

Teachers were the ones who asked me this recently.
>>
>>66323621
Well to be honest it was one of those days where I was just like fuck it I'm gonna listen to what I want today. Don't really remember exactly what I listened to a lot of those days. Lot of shit like Spoon and Cymbals Eat Guitars, chili peppers, dispatch. Think I was really in to Wild Nothing and Craft Spells too. I remember defaulting to a lot of rap back then because it was easier and not as immediately depressing
>>
>>66323598
lol
>>
>>66323707
There's the problem man. You can't bring that shit to work.

>Cymbals Eat Guitars

What a coincidence I just listened to Why There Are Mountains today for the first time. Great album.

>defaulting to a lot of rap back then because it was easier and not as immediately depressing

Really? I used to be really big on rap but I find it takes far more concentration for me to digest a rap album than a rock album. If you like Cymbals you might dig this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIPAEclVg-Y

All about the grind of daily living. Recc it to anyone since they'll 100% like it.
>>
File: 1446342173538.jpg (35 KB, 385x375) Image search: [Google]
1446342173538.jpg
35 KB, 385x375
>Hey anon, what music do you listen to? Rock? Rap? Dubstep?
>>
>>66323598

kek
>>
>>66323064
if you don't sound weird they'll keep asking

so answer in a way that makes them not want to ask again
>>
>Eh, No wave, harsh noise wall, math influenced Indonesian emoviolence, nothing special

But seriously last time I was asked this I said jazz and ambient since that's what I was listening to at the time. Right now I'd probably say punk and psychedelic.
>>
>>66323775
>There's the problem man. You can't bring that shit to work.
You're right, but a man can only listen to pop shit for so long before he gets tired, especially working long shifts. It eventually became an attracting device for qt hipster servers. That's when I realized that chicks that claim they are in to music aren't really in to music
>Oh you like Modest Mouse? I love dashboard!!

>Hop Along
Actually seeing Built to Spill this October and I saw Hop Along will be opening for them. This is my first time listening to them, enjoying it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation anon.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.