[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is the appeal to artists like Kanye West and Kendrick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: kanye.jpg (98 KB, 770x513) Image search: [Google]
kanye.jpg
98 KB, 770x513
What the fuck is the appeal to artists like Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar? Whenever I see someone list one of their works in a top 100 list I can't take that person seriously anymore. I seriously want to know what is so interesting and appealing about egotistical black men rapping over mediocre beats.
>>
yer mom
>>
You see they got the power to turn back time
>>
People like the way the music sounds. Is it really that fucking hard to understand?
>>
File: black man shake head.webm (109 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
black man shake head.webm
109 KB, 320x240
> pic related
>>
>>66321379
>Kendrick Lamar
>egotistical
He lives in a 400k house when he has a net worth of over $20 million.
>mediocre beats
He literally uses jazz. I'm not following. Are you implying jazz=shitty beats?
Listen more, post less.
>>
>>66321379
>I think it sounds great
is all the only answer you deserve honestly
>>
>>66321379

What's the appeal of egotistical white men singing over three chords?
>>
>>66321379
sjws, cultural marxism, immigrants, islam.

listen to paul joesph watson's analysis of today's pop "music."
>>
stop falling for bait you fucking retards
>>
File: the power to turn back time.png (176 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
the power to turn back time.png
176 KB, 600x338
>>66321465
This is what you were going for
>>
>>66321547
I shouldn't have grouped Kendrick in the same category as Kanye, as he's a lot more respectable as a human being. That doesn't change the fact that his music is shite though. Also, incorporating elements of jazz into your music in no way makes it automatically good. Jazzy hip hop beats have been done for years and Kendrick brings nothing new to the table.
>>66321682
I'm not baiting. The fact that you guys get so fucking defensive when someone calls out one of your favorite artists is laughable. No, it is IMPOSSIBLE for someone to not like the super dope beats of the GOD named YEEZUS.
>>
>>66321909
I think reddit is more your speed, kiddo.
>>
>>66321379
All artists are egotistical, Kanye is just more egotistical than most.
>>
>>66321909
What's shit about them though? There's tons of great moments on the beats of Kendrick's songs, like those beautiful keyboards in the opening of The Art of Peer Pressure, or the funky as fuck bass on King Kunta, or those really nice and smooth synths and guitar on These Walls (song also had a killer bass line, sexy as fuck) I don't see how you can right off Kendrick's beats. I won't even address you shitting on Kanye's beats, they're next fucking level when he's on point.
>>
>>66321909
Have you even listened to Kendrick?
Not just hear the words, but listen? Like think about the words he's saying? GKMC and TPAB are two great concept albums and he talks about a lot of shit and it's not all surface level.
>>
>>66322128
write off*
>>
>>66321669
This
>>66321564
Fuck you
>>
File: c62.jpg (136 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
c62.jpg
136 KB, 546x700
>>66321379
>>66321669
>>66322195
Sage
Literally blow your brains out
>>
>>66322135
I do not give a fraction of a percent of a fuck about some poor black guy's terrible upbringing. As for TPAB, I normally don't have problems with artists discussing their political views through music, but when you spew so much bullshit and effectively rally up millions of people to believe your bullshit, it genuinely pisses me off. You're a leftist though, so you'll never get it and I don't know why I bothered typing out this post.
>>
>>66322351
They've got a board here for you
It's that way you redneck ---> >>>/pol/
>>
>>66321379
Both are obviously overrated. Their albums have decent production no doubt, but there's really nothing special about either Kanye West or Kendrick Lamar.
They are like P.Diddy of today. The same was about that dumbass Lil Wayne, but now nobody gives a shit about him.
You better relax and listen to some actually good hip hop. Let Kanye and Kendrick make their money, I'd do the same if I was that famous, so don't be so butthurt about them, it's a business.
>>
>>66321937
Reddit circlejerks Kanye and Kendrick harder than /mu/ m8y
>>
>>66321909
the fact that your lumping kendrick and kanye together proves youre either baiting or totally ignorant
>>
>>66324031
oh hey its mr autismo from the other thread!
>>
>>66322351
>but when you spew so much bullshit and effectively rally up millions of people to believe your bullshit, it genuinely pisses me off.
Ah ok so you haven't actually listened to it. Cool
>>
>>66321379
Talk shit, post list.

let us hear what you like then
>>
File: mbdtf.jpg (429 KB, 1898x840) Image search: [Google]
mbdtf.jpg
429 KB, 1898x840
I agree with you about Kanye, but not Kendrick
>>
Kanye is a fucking faggot that makes retarded music.

Kendrick is a true artist that makes pretty good music. Section.80 and GKMC are masterpieces.
>>
Nu male libcucks want to show that they are not racist and "in" with black folk
>>
File: 1464745252034.jpg (51 KB, 515x651) Image search: [Google]
1464745252034.jpg
51 KB, 515x651
>>66321669

>islam
>music

/pol/tards never cease to amuse me.
>>
>>66325666
wew all those buzzwords
>>>/pol/
>>
>>66325629
reddit wants you back
>>
>>66325666
hang yourself in the bathrooms at a trump rally
>>
>>66325690
>>66325703

>tripfag and a libcuck

not even him but pls step it up senpai
>>
>>66325723
you have to go back to your echo chamber >>>/pol/
>>
>>66325770
and away from yours?
>>
File: PKK fighters.png (345 KB, 610x427) Image search: [Google]
PKK fighters.png
345 KB, 610x427
>>66325846
this is a left board gringo
>>
>>66324444
These quads were not wasted.
>>
>>66321379
i used to love Kanye until Yeezus, and I think kendrick lamar is a good artist anyway both are overrated
>>
Both are insignificant. Are we gonna discuss the importance of Justin Bieber's oeuvre next?

Fuck off.
>>
Wow. I haven't been on /mu/ that long, but all you oldfags, idk how you all deal with this.

It's literally the same fucking threads every day.
>>
>>66321379
>Whenever I see someone list one of their works in a top 100 list I can't take that person seriously anymore.

It baffles me why you would think anyone gives a flying fuck what you think of their top 100 list. Or what you do and don't take seriously.
>>
>>66326169
Or your opinion on anon's opinion.
>>
>>66326132
just don't constantly browse it
if you only check /mu/ like once a week it becomes exponentially better
>>
>>66326184
g1 OP
>>
>>66321495
>"I like talking niggers"
>>
>>66321649
No kidding.

>I'm willing to defend "War on Drugs Suck My Dick" but if someone is praising a black boy I just can't do it
>>
>>66321379
its the best music hip-hop has to offer, and everyone has to like hip-hop or they get branded as not being open minded or whatever. you're right though, the music absolutely mediocre and anybody who doesn't think so is not somebody whose opinion i can respect. rappers literally arent even musicians, except kanye and a few others because he actually creates the majority of his music. even still, none of their music is anything above average. if you just rap, you aren't a musician, period. no, this is not bait.
>>
>>66326132
>I haven't been on /mu/ that long
>same fucking threads every day
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>66321379

Because they usually have something interesting to say, and people like the way the music sounds. Do you not understand that not everyone has different ears and brains
>>
>>66325686
Nasheeds are pretty dope tho unlike Kanye's egotistical ranting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvMVF5zkwQ
>>
>>66327595
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxubQBkLWyY

this is now a nasheed thread

please don't put me on watchlist NSA
>>
File: 1455504112187.png (28 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
1455504112187.png
28 KB, 186x208
>>66327630
>browses 4chan and thinks he isn't on every watchlist there is
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>66322398
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 125x119
>>66325770
>irony
>>
Kendrick's legitimately ambitious as an artist, even though I think a few of his songs are garbage it's easy to see why there's so much hype around him, especially in this age of ignorant trap and drill rap
>>
I hate Kendrick Lamar for one reason. His fans. Kendrick isn't doing anything new conscious hip hop wise yet everyone is so damn convinced of it
>>
>>66327368
>the best music hiphop has to offer
Not even remotely true.
>>
>>66321379
The thing is, I like hip hop but these two artists irritate me.

This decade is trash for hip hop.
>>
>>66327706
Yeah, this. I'm not much a fan of TPAB, but his previous two albums have great concepts that are realized very well. Especially in GKMC, the attempts to put together something big that shows a lot of sides to "hood life" are really impressive. Even the designated hits like Backseat Freestyle fit into the message, and the progression almost has a cinematic thing to it. I'm not much of a hip hop fan but I really admired that.
>>
>>66321379
I recently found a YouTube channel called donut samples, it shows you samples off of different tracks. it made me realize the simplicity of rap instrumentals, especially Kendricks, half assed speed up or slowed down samples make half of the songs, while the other half is just another persons beat.
The lyrics can be made in 20 minutes by anyone with a half working brain, and the rapping is usually pretty average if not downright terrible, keni isn't even a very good rapper or singer. Musicians in 2016 don't get that popular all the sudden, Compton keni is an industry plant. Here's a link explaining why.... http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=316421.0

>Duckworth was signed on Def Jam in 2005. 2005. he was 18. So you're telling me a 18 years old hood rapper with only 1 mixtape out gets signed on the biggest hip hop label ? He's not even a blog rapper or a youtube rapper, just a hood rapper that probably sold 10 disc with his mixtapes. Then he somehow afford a Lil Wayne verse for his Weezy dickriding mixtape "C4". In 2011, he sells 5k first week with S.80, in other words, fucking irrelevant.
>But one day, Dr Dre decides to put him under his wing, he starts having Just Blaze beats, Pharrell beats, Drake features for his album. Ain't that weird for a nigga who was pushing 5k one year before, and without dropping any projects in between ?
He's a fake indie artist.
>>
>>66328426
Who gives a shit if it's "Easy" to make? If it sounds good who cares
>>
>>66322128
All of those nice sounds are samples, they shouldn't be praised for stealing other people's music.
>>
>>66328483

Actually none of these are samples lmao
>>
>>66328483
>All of those nice sounds are samples

There's an entire band behind the sound of the album, Thundercat (dat bass), Terrace Martin and Robert Glasper are pretty easy to spot through most of TPAB.
>>
you probably will never understand the appeal
some things are hard to put into words, like feelings you get when you listen to music
you don't have these feelings people get when they listen to kanye and kendrick

why even bother having a dumb discussion on /mu/ about it. you know it's not going anywhere
>>
>>66321379
it makes plebs think they have good taste
>>
>>66328548
Here's those "beautiful" piano chords, https://youtu.be/x4gt2waUbWA
Rappers are praised for basic
chords, it just shows how bad the genre is, i can't wait for gangster rap to die, it has does nothing but poison the black youth for 2 decades.
>>
>>66328868
it's pretty sad you think there's like..something 'wrong' with people liking rap. why cant you just see it as a matter of taste and show some respect for people who think differently from you?
is it so hard to see from outside your own point of view?
>>
>>66328426
>He's a fake indie artist.
No one ever said he was an indie artist
>>
>>66328868
lol this shit is so corny. uh huh yea chill stuff
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.