[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is "album filler"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: question marks.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
question marks.png
74 KB, 300x256
What is "album filler"?
>>
Songs written just to pad the run time out on a release
>>
>>66313409
songs that are uninspired and only there for the "artist" to finish the record. Pop albums tend to have a few singles and lots of filler, where nothing is worthwhile but the singles.
>>
A term used by rockists when a mediocre song breaks their illusion of a "cohesive album experience."
>>
>>66313573
nice meme
>>
>>66313589
Rockist detected.
>>
>>66313628
nice meme
>>
Buzzword
>>
It's a song whose only purpose on the album is to pad out the run time
In practice, though, it's obviously impossible to know which songs are filler unless you were involved in the recording process, so from the perspective of the music listener, it's a completely meaningless buzzword
>>
it's supposed to be this >>66313427

but most people incorrectly use the term to refer to songs they dont like on an album because they're too lazy to explain why they dislike the song
>>
>>66313815
meme nice
>>
>>66313961
There are some obvious examples of filler like songs that sound exactly the same as the single and pointless covers.
>>
>>66313961
>it's obviously impossible to know which songs are filler unless you were involved in the recording process
If you're not musically illiterate it's usually quite easy to tell if a song is filler because the composition will either be trite or the performance might be lackluster or even sloppy.
>>
>>66313961
a pretty good indicator of a song being filler is it never being played live
>>
A song that doesn't push the albums concept further and it mainly there to pad out run time

Or is just extremely uninteresting
>>
>>66313988
>>66313427
OP here, thanks for the explanation
>>
>>66314055
>or the performance might be lackluster or even sloppy
"I'm Looking Through You" by the Beatles ("the fact that" etc.) is a good example of this, as the performance is a mess just about everywhere: John's acoustic guitar is slightly out of tune, George plays out of key several times, the handclaps go off-beat, and Ringo even misses a snare shot at around 1:58. Indeed, the recording present on the album was made a mere four days before the final remixing of the album. It's a prime example of album filler in the sense that they had a tight deadline and had to throw something out there really quickly to meet it.
>>
>>66314216
Not all albums have a "concept" and saying a song is filler just because you find it uninteresting is the most common way the term gets misused.
Inevitably there are going to be songs that the artists put a lot of work into and are very proud of but which you find uninteresting.
>>
>>66313427
How can you tell if something is filler or not?
>>
>>66314355
It's a bit of a shame. The vocal melody isn't bad and they probably could have made a great track out of it given more time.
>>
>>66314455
The artist might say as much, or never play it live (meaning they don't like it) but besides that filler might come off as lazily written and just rehash ideas from the rest of the album.
>>
>>66314455
Covers that don't do anything unique springs to mind besides it just being lackluster compared to the rest of the album. Most covers are intentional and a matter of some small respect, so if it's bad or generic, it's probably filler.
>>
File: good feels.jpg (217 KB, 1102x758) Image search: [Google]
good feels.jpg
217 KB, 1102x758
if you think sloop john b is filler you should leave the board
>>
File: memee.jpg (11 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
memee.jpg
11 KB, 500x375
The entirety of Moonlover minus Golden Number.
>>
>>66314355
Man I dig that song desu, one of my favorites on rubber soul
>>
>>66315291
This is exactly what thinking tripfag, I was saying "there are people here who don't like sloop John b."
>>
>>66314355
but it's not a filler, anon. its a pretty great song actually
>>
>>66316211
filler can be good
>>
skits desu, especially bad in Last Registration. In College Dropout they're good except for the ones around School Spirit, but they just don't need to be there in Last Registration.
>>
File: ZuneAlbumArt.jpg (28 KB, 240x236) Image search: [Google]
ZuneAlbumArt.jpg
28 KB, 240x236
>Croakies and Boatshoes
>Breathe In, Breathe Out
>Roboturner
>Laser Speed

So much filler on an otherwise good album
>>
Wild Honey Pie is a perfect example of filler.
>>
>>66316795
you're just saying that because you don't like it
>>
File: Fear_of_a_blank_planet.jpg (6 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Fear_of_a_blank_planet.jpg
6 KB, 400x400
>My Ashes
>Sentimental
>Way Out of Here

Half the album is filler
>>
File: tool_-_lateralus.jpg (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tool_-_lateralus.jpg
13 KB, 500x500
>Eon Blue Apocalypse
>The Patient
>Mantra
>Parabol
>Disposition
>Triad
>Faaip de Oiad

With this much filler, why do people consider this a good album?
>>
File: Geogaddi.jpg (51 KB, 300x275) Image search: [Google]
Geogaddi.jpg
51 KB, 300x275
>Beware the Friendly Stranger
>Dandelion
>In the Annexe
>The Smallest Weird Number
>Energy Warning
>Opening the Mouth
>I Saw Drones
>A is to B as B is to C
>Over the Horizon Radar
>Diving Station
>Magic Window

If they're so good why did they have to put so much filler on the album?
>>
>>66317033
>>66316867
Absolute garbage opinions mates

>not liking the patient
>not appreciating the buildup from parabol into parabola
>hating on Triad
>>
>>66317329
The Patient is the most boring fucking piece of shit song Tool has ever released

Parabol is twice as long as it needs to be and shouldn't have been it's own track

Triad is repetitive shit
>>
>>66317362
absolutely garbage opinion mate
>>
>>66317362
>>66317362
>proving my point that you're opinion is garbage

Danks mort
>>
>>66317464
absolutely garbage opinion of my opinion mate
>>
>>66313409
What consists of 90% of a Swans album
>>
>>66318090
Delete this
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.