[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post-rock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Talk_talk_laughing_stock.jpg (101 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Talk_talk_laughing_stock.jpg
101 KB, 500x500
hey senpai, can someone explain to me post-rock waves, like I know bands like slint and talk talk are part of the first wave but I'd like to know about the other bands, and waves and stuff
>>
File: 1409938288278.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1409938288278.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
Mama Mia!
>>
>>66308131
hey mario help me
>>
>>66308087
first wave = vocals
second wave = crescendos
third wave = garbage
>>
>>66308087
Just listen to Talk Talk and don't bother with any of the other rubbish
>>
>>66308194
when did third wave start and what bands are part of it
>>
>>66308131
WAH
>>
>>66308217
what about slint and godspeed?
>>
>>66308235
Godspeed basically ruined the genre forever. Slint are decent but not exactly Post Rock
>>
File: postrockessentials.jpg (425 KB, 990x1716) Image search: [Google]
postrockessentials.jpg
425 KB, 990x1716
first-wave post-rock is the most broad, it's just basically defined as music that uses rock instrumentation but in a very non-rock context (like the guitars aren't used for riffs or power chords, rather timbre and texture). bands in the first wave are Slint, Talk Talk, Bark Psychosis, Cul de Sac, Tortoise, Dirty Three, Massimo Volume, etc.

the second wave still follows the non-rock instrumentation ethos of the first-wave, but this is where vocals got almost entirely dropped and the crescendoes started to become more prominent. think bands like Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Yndi Halda, Silver Mt. Zion and Do Make Say Think. reunion-era Swans also falls in this style despite being from the 2010s.

the third wave is basically just a continuation of the second wave but with more emphasis on the crescendo and more roots in traditional rock and pop music. artists like Explosions in the Sky, MONO, This Will Destroy You, any bland "crescendo-core" artist, basically.
>>
>>66308217
shit like God is an astronaut and all that crescendo core bullshit

>>66308270
godspeed didn't ruin it, all the unoriginal faggots who plagiarized them ruined it
>>
>>66308353
thank you brother this was exactly what I was looking for thank you <3
>>
Most Post Rock acts eschew the fragile jazz elements that made SoE and LS so good. Why is beyond me, perhaps they're incapable of using those elements in the same way and don't have a knowledge of the genre
>>
>>66308443
no problem! also, if you've heard and liked talk talk's last two records, check out Mark Hollis' solo album, it's fucking incredible.
>>
I don't think SFTB is first wave
>>
>>66308361
>God is an astronaut
thanks for reminding me of this awful band
>>
>>66308513
perhaps a bit of that in add to an experimental way of thinking
>>
interesting
>>
>>66308087
its a meme
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.