[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone help me to understand why this album is considered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: meme?.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
meme?.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
Can someone help me to understand why this album is considered good?
For reference TPAB and Madvillainy are two of my favourite albums so it's not that I don't like /mu/core hip hop. pls help
>>
>>66305034
fresh off the boat eh? tpab and madvillainy? are those the first 2 hiphop albums you listened to when you came here
>>
>>66305034
it's a meme
>>
>>66305057
If I wasn't new to hiphop why would I be asking about this album in 2016. Well done you've flagged yourself as an oldfag so the cool kids will like you. Can you answer the fucking question now?
>>
Kek, dude have you heard gorgeous? Ye snaps
>>
>>66305137
>yea i'm an oldfag, i listen to that REAL golden age hip hop, like MDBTF
>>
>>66305137
if you listen to alot of hiphop you'll understand why its so praised musically and lyrically but otherwise you wont get it
>>
>>66305034
Because it deals with his relationship with fame, how it's both alluring and hollow and how it might ultimately consume him. At the end he feels disconnected and lost. If you take what the album is about thematically and place it in the context of when it was released. It was at the time when he was at his most disliked and the whole Taylor interruption thing had happened. He had to prove himself and reevaluate fame and the concept of being a celebrity what that means and what you sacrifice to gain it. Also the production is feels very grandiose and is consistently high level through out.
>>
It's high art in a politicized and commercialized music genre. Think what post punk did for punk. A lot of people think this album saved hip hop from gangster rap.

Then there's the emotional context, themes, and duality of fame and embarrassment lurking.

It's conscious yet self deprecating, lush yet poppy, and expansive yet concise. It's pretty much culturally, musically, and influentially an instant classic.
>>
>>66305137
>new to hip hop
>claims to like Madvillainy

Poser confirmed.
>>
nobody will help you
you have to do it yourself
>>
>>66305447
Basically seeing fame through different lenses, and considering how famous he was and how negatively perceived he was particularly at the time, made it all the more intresting. That was the appeal of definitely part if it. It was an intresting examination of fame inextricably linked to that point in time in his career.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.