[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I write music like them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
How do I write music like them?
>>
acid and nostalgia plus great rhythm section
>>
who?
>>
>>66299367
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""rhythm section"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>66299792
what? go listen to fireworks and tell me panda isn't a great drummer
>>
chz has his best drumming imo
>>
>1- Harmony
Use mostly major chords. Very few Animal Collective are in minor keys (Daily Routine, New Town Burnout and Today's Supernatural are the only ones I can think of right now)

>2- Structure
You can go "verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus", but don't all the time. Ideally, keep adding kinds of pre-choruses until you run out of ideas and then you can go back to the beginning to repeat the whole thing (ex: Applesauce)

Other tricks include: going "verse chorus verse chorus", but then going into a big-ass outro (ex: Chores, Daily Routine, Rosie Oh), having a bunch of bridges that don't lead into the chorus, but into an outro (ex: Lion In A Coma, Water Curses, Brother Sport, etc), or just do whatever the fuck (ex: Rosie Oh, New Town Burnout)

>3- Lyrics
Family, childhood, drugs, I dunno. Make sure to repeat short phrases as much as you can.

4- Instrumentation
No "kick clap kick clap" rhythm allowed for the rhythm. Ideally, have your kick not land on the "one", and have a whole bunch of tambourines, maracas and whatever, if you feel like it. Other instruments should be a mixture of whatever the fuck you want to find. If your song is energetic as fuck, use some really soft pad somewhere. If it's quiet, use something that nobody would reasonably use in a quiet song. Experimental!
>>
>>66299900
Great digits and great comment. I'd be interested to hear what your music sounds like!
>>
Play a lot of those types of chords that sound like they're playing all black keys when they're on white keys, and strum them into hypnotic textures, and then slowly introduce a more steady rhythm and insert lyrics that sound both whimsical and disturbing, with memorable left-field vocal hooks.
>>
>>66299304

go out into the woods with some drumsticks and an acoustic guitar while on lsd and just bang random rhythms and trees and shit while making noises with your mouth

take that shit home and make sense of it
>>
>>66299304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UukC5iQKWHQ
>>
>>66300877
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/white%20glove

what did they mean by this
>>
>>66299900
Yes you're on the ball. I thought of most of those when I tried to play like them for fun.
>>
>>66299304
but literally why would you want to do that
>>
just breathe and make various noises through a microphone
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.