[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My issues with this album. >doesn't have the density
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: for ants.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
for ants.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
My issues with this album.

>doesn't have the density the first one had
>not enough obscure samples
>it doesn't set the tone the first did
>rapping why?

It sounds like something madlib would do on his free time, they really lost their touch with the ages.
>>
>>66293002

go fuck yourself.
>>
>>66293027
>getting triggered for opinions
>>
>>66293002
If you have to break it down, you literally are the cancer.
>>
>>66293058
>>66293027
You already told me to fuck off
>>
I haven't listened to it yet but I feel it's very unfair to compare this to Since I Left You being that album is pretty monumental in its genre. I think that's why they took so long with another LP having expectations set so high. There will never be another SILY and we have to accept that. That's why I'm hesitant to listen to this as SILY is probably one of the most important part of my musical devlopment, the first time I put it on back in the day felt like the greatest thing that ever happened to me
>>
>>66293143
I wasn't really expecting for them to improve over since I left you but what let me down was how far from it sounds from their debut album. I've heard better stuff from J Rocc, cut chemist, madlib etc.
>>
>>66293002
It sounds like a parody of the first album with how they turned the whimsical samples and saccharine strings up to 11. There's a few flashes of brilliance, particularly when they didn't seem like they were trying to sound like SILY, but mostly it's just mediocre.
>>
>>66293058
Not OP, but why? If people say they don't like the album but then don't post reasons why they get accused of being nme drones, shitposters, etc.
>>
>>66293143
Wildflower was very satisfying to me as a follow-up album, if you're looking for similar feelings and emotions as SILY it hits the nail on the head. It's definitely nowhere near as dense, SILY is still unmatched in that department, but some interviews suggested the tracks had a lot more stuff going on at one point but they stripped it down because they felt the songs worked better with more focus. It's also not a dance record at all, honestly genre wise about the only thing you could compare it to is Gorillaz
>>66293192
You can't have expected it to sound the same given how long it's been, the fact that they weren't aiming to make dance music this time, and that half of the creative team is different.
>>66293235
I can see how you'd feel that way, it maybe could come off as a bit contrived if you're cynical enough, but if you're able to fully accept it without a hint of irony it's quite lovely I assure you
>>
>>66293002
>It sounds like something madlib would do on his free time
You say this like it's a bad thing
>>
>>66293329
I believed they had a personality, I know that assuming this with only one album was risky but in general it sounds so amateurish compared to since I left you, I couldn't believe the same people well making this, the problem is the abysmal drop of quality.
>>
>>66293428
I disagree, yes in terms of technical impressiveness SILY is on another planet compared to most music but everything here is done about as well as it needed to be given the songs themselves. It's a different genre of music that called for more organic production, the dizzying way stuff builds on top of each other on SILY is really only possible with electronic songs, structured to be danceable.
Check out the credits, part of the reason why it might seem like stuff's a bit more "lifted" (as in they seem to continue letting the same sample play through for a while) is because there's a great deal of original instrumentation. Stuff like the vocals and orchestration on "Harmony" were original.
https://imgur.com/a/XqBu0
Also they apparently had a shitload of material that didn't fit on this album (as one could imagine), hope we'll maybe get to hear it sooner rather than later
>>
>>66293636
this
>>
>>66293636

They mentioned they want to release a vault collection of all the stuff they made, or at least a good amount of it.
>>
>>66293636
While I would like to hear them go all out and pile tons of samples on top of these songs it probably would've been pretty overwhelming on a lot of them (many are already at about maximum sonic capacity, especially "Kaleidoscopic Lovers") and would've gotten lots of comments about being bloated.
It is kind of odd feeling like I've pretty much figured this album out though. I've been listening to SILY since 7th grade and I notice something new every time I listen to it.
>>
Anyone tell me why they didn't keep the large group of guys and only use 3 guys to make this record?

Were the others just tagalongs? Maybe they were what made Since I LEFT yOU SO great?
>>
>>66294322
For all intents and purposes SILY was entirely made by Robbie Chater and Darren Seltmann, the rest of the group was primarily for live performance. James Dela Cruz did some scratching on "Electricity" and they all helped when they recorded imitations of samples they couldn't clear for later issues of the album but they didn't do any production or mixing.
Darren left over a decade ago to raise a family and other persuits, and Wildflower was made by Robbie Chater and Tony Di Blasi.
By all accounts Robbie was the one who primarily obsessively hunted for samples to make SILY and Darren's role was more in editing his rough drafts
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.