[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most overrated bands of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
Pic related. Even in context of year they've played, their music is just meh. Lyrics-edgy teen shit. Also Warhol is cancer and all that is erong with "le art" today.
>>
That are some great points op. You should write for Pitchfork or vice!
>>
>>66292033
So what do you right wing types listen to anyway that's so lyrically down to earth yet musically impressive? Midwestern Emo?
>>
SUCKIN ON MY DING DONG
>>
>erong
>>
>>66292089
Right wing? How did u come up with that?
>>
>>66292113
You're against bohemianism and pop art. Those are right wing views. I didn't mean to judge though, I was just interested in your taste.
>>
>>66292068
What do you want anon kun? A review? Scientific research? Nah son. They are fucking dull. Boring. Not innovative. Yawnnnnnn
>>
>>66292185
literally factually incorrect
>>
>>66292172
I have a problem with turning "art" into a business. I mean, that is his whole thing right? I don't see much esthetic value in pop art, seems to me something a wine jugging, 40ish y old suburban mom would only like
>>
>>66292266
>I have a problem with turning "art" into a business.
Commie!!!
>>
>>66292213
Arguments pls. How did they change music except introducing childish "nihilist" lyrics into the mainstream?
>>
>>66292033
clon detected
>>
>>66292299
Got me there /pol/
>>
File: the velvet underground.jpg (162 KB, 1026x1028) Image search: [Google]
the velvet underground.jpg
162 KB, 1026x1028
>lmao
>>
>>66292185
>Not innovative
That is objectively wrong. You're an ignorant retard.
>>
>>66292320
Arguments pls. How did they not change music?
>>
Artict monkeys. If they are critically acclaimed. All that brit new weave garage rock/ punk-all sounding the same crap
>>
>>66292320
Hey faggot, you're the one that's making outrageous claims. The burden of proof rests on you. Prove that The Velvet Underground aren't innovative.
>>
>>66292431
Still no arguments what did they actually introduced that was so ground breaking. I haven't heard anything new in their sound. No body explaining yet with a valid comment.
>>
The Beatles. They're alright, just not groundbreaking in any respect.
>>
>>66292497
I guess it is much easier living your life by accepting other peoples opinion and not having your own. What critics like- I like. Now go back to worshiping Lord Saviour Anthony Memetano
>>
>>66292628
you're avoiding the topic
>>
>>66292628
Thanks for confirming you're just a shitposter who doesn't have any real arguments. Either post proof TVU aren't innovative or fuck off.
>>
>>66292534
Agreed. Also Lennon is the king of cheese
>>
>>66292534
I dunno, I feel they were definitely innovative, but the fact everyone dick rides them reminds me of when I was like 14.

Also /mu/ has the worst taste in Beatles songs judging by the fact Magical Mystery Tour and White Album are the ones I always see here in regards to favorites when those are some of their weakest.
>>
Ghost. Actually a terrible fucking band.
>>
>>66292185
>>66292320
>>66292628
Find me a pre-1966 rock song that sounds like Heroin or European Son. Protip: you can't.

The Velvet Underground were the first rock band to fuse drone music with rock n roll. Their nihilistic lyrics and alternative guitar tunings were very groundbreaking. "I DON'T LIKE IT SO IT ISN'T INNOVATIVE" isn't a real argument, you fucking idiot.
>>
Beach boys
>>
>>66292533

How old do you think this band is
>>
>>66292658
Kek didn't know /mu/ is TVU fan boy zone. Should have guessted it tho since you ppl here mostly accept criticaly acclaimed crap without a second of doubt. Sad
>>
>>66292033
literally kill yourself
>>
>>66292792
>drone music
>TVU

K E K
>>
>>66292827
Omg I luv TVU now
>>
>>66292752
this
>>
>>66292792
Well at least you tried to throw in an argument into this fan boy tantrum thread. Don't agree tho. Seems to me lyrics are still their only groundbreaking thingy. And their lyrics suck
>>
>>66292806
True
>>
>>66292855
Did they not adopt drone sensibilities?
>>
>>66292855
>who is John Cale
>>66292881
great news
>>
File: 64703369.jpg (98 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
64703369.jpg
98 KB, 800x800
entry-level shit af my dude
>>
File: laughing smug Bowie.jpg (13 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
laughing smug Bowie.jpg
13 KB, 236x354
>>66292814
Are you ever going to post a real argument?
>>
Crowbar and Clutch. If a cared about drunk rednecks, I'd go to NASCAR
>>
>>66292966
Haven't listened to that, looks like pure avant-teen bait
>>
>>66292933
Yeah it's okay if you don't like the VU, but I'd recommend you give them another shot if you haven't already. If you don't like them, that's fine, but the Velvet Underground comes to closest any rock band has come to being objectively innovative and overwhelmingly influential.
>>
>>66292814
you haven't supplied a single piece of evidence to support the idea that they're not innovative. if you don't understand how they were influential you could literally just google it they are a very oft. discussed band
>>
>>66293018
It's just 70s japanese noise rock
Not really avant-teen
>>
Seems like OP could be suffering from the Seinfeld effect
>>
File: The-Smiths.jpg (734 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The-Smiths.jpg
734 KB, 1920x1080
They do have some good songs, but many of their songs rely on melodies that are supposed to be catchy but become uninteresting when they attract to the same pitch and don't vary from it enough. The instrumentation is okay, but nothing particularly stand-out, just typical jangle-pop.
>>
>>66293038
I gotta say I didn't find anything interesting or game changing in The vevet underground and Nico.
>>
>>66293159
True this even tho my inner fag likes them sometimes
>>
>>66293229
it's because you've already heard hundreds of bands influenced by it, so it's not novel anymore
Seinfeld effect
>>
>>66292989
Oh look, Bowie. You must be one special snowflake
>>
Jesus Christ you guys fell for OP's bait hook, line, and sinker. It's shit like this that makes me wonder why I still come here. If you're fucking new here, at least lurk a little bit before figuring out how shit goes here.
>>
Fushitsusha
Les Rallizes Denudes
Flower Travellin' Band
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Coil
Comus
This Heat
The Pop Group
Aporea
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
The Mothers of Invention
Grazhdanskaya Oborona
Mass
DDAA
Fishmans
Nurse With Wound
Current 93

There, I think that's every artist /daily/ likes.
>>
https://youtu.be/FF2os5l2Nog

The cringe is real. Should have died way sooner
>>
>>66293376
Post overrated band or grfo retard. No one cares
>>
File: download (2).jpg (10 KB, 236x213) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
10 KB, 236x213
>>
The Clash are the most overrated band of all time.
>>
>>66293458
>can't even spell gtfo correctly
>>
File: 1444409690908.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1444409690908.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>66293376
>reads past the subject
>>
>>66292738
Because Magical Mystery Tour has their three best songs.
>>
Radiohead desu they're good but not worth le gr8st ever
>>
File: 2 0 t i c k s.png (240 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
2 0 t i c k s.png
240 KB, 640x320
>>66292738
>he fell for the "White Album has too much filler" meme
>>
>>66293538
Nah son. One of the best punk bands of all time
>>
>>66293377
Most people outside of /mu/, including critics, don't know any of those bands, so it's a stretch to call them "overrated" even if you don't like any of them.
>>
>>66293617
Agreed. Decent band but gettin dick rided by critics and therefore /mu/
>>
The XX
>>
>>66293537
FUCK YOU,DUDE.
>>
Sex Pistols
The Ramones
The Clash
Wire

Fucking any 70s punk really, prove me wrong.
>>
U fucking 2
>>
Either the Sex Pistols or Queen
>>
>>66294142
Artistic songwriting tendencies plus sheer visceral feel = Wire the GOATest band of them all.
>>
File: 1443302049548.jpg (22 KB, 155x175) Image search: [Google]
1443302049548.jpg
22 KB, 155x175
>>66292534
>just not groundbreaking in any respect
>>
File: bowie laughing.jpg (66 KB, 656x960) Image search: [Google]
bowie laughing.jpg
66 KB, 656x960
>>66293312
Do you get off on being retarded?
>>
>>66292534
>Beatles are not groundbreaking in any respect
>goes on to listen to something that 99.9999% probably uses the same production/mixing techniques Sgt Peppers invented
Unless you listen to strictly electro acoustic stuff, this is true.
>>
>>66292933
>Seems to me lyrics are still their only groundbreaking thingy.
>>66293229
>I gotta say I didn't find anything interesting or game changing in The vevet underground and Nico.
Are you an expert on 1960s rock music? Do you know of any pre-1966 songs that sound like what TVU did on TVU&N? If the answer to both of these questions is "no" then you need to shut the fuck up. Your ignorance doesn't mean they aren't innovative.
>>
File: Brian Wilson not amused.jpg (27 KB, 620x386) Image search: [Google]
Brian Wilson not amused.jpg
27 KB, 620x386
>>66294326
The vast majority of the production/mixing techniques on Sgt. Pepper's were invented by Brian Wilson on Pet Sounds.
>>
>>66294426
Nope. I love Pet Sounds and it's my favorite album ever, but it has a very different production style from Sgt Peppers. Sgt Peppers did all signal shit like compression and whatnot that we hear in music to this day (to the extent where we'll hate someone like Rick Rubin for doing too much of it.) Pet Sounds style production/mixing is not as influential in that it's really fucking hard to do comparatively.
>>
>>66292033
I'm not into "art music xD!" and mostly any noise rock band but, did you at least can accept that lou reed compositions are great? he makes some really beautiful melodies.

>Even in context of year they've played
>Warhol is cancer and all that is erong with "le art" today.
You only listen to Tvu&n, dont you?
try with the self-named album, and if you dont like that you dont have nothing to do with tvu.
>>
>>66292033
>he cares about lyrics

found the manual listener
>>
>>66294559
Not him, but I think the problem with using "production" as a stardard by which to judge music is that production is a matter of technological advancement more than anything else. Beethoven was a great composer and made some of the best music ever written, but there was not so much "production" there as we understand it.

Production also relies on money. You can buy great production if you have the money and means. It doesn't mean your music is innovative (see: radio pop music).
>>
ACDC
Queen
Joy Division
Kendrick Lamar
>>
>>66294749
Production is a newer thing though, to compare it to Beethoven is absurd as that is an aspect of delivering and forming music that didn't exist in his time.

You can't just buy production either. The mixing on something like Chinese Democracy is fuck awful and it's the second most expensive album ever while you got underground electronic musicians who have great mixing abilities.

Having great production in of itself isn't innovative. But taking an approach to production that is still used to this day is definitely innovative. Everything from Rick Rubin's compressing way too much radio pop songs to make them feel lifeless, to the dynamics on Slint's Spiderland, to how Jacob Banon's vocals sound on every Converge album Jane Doe and afterward; every single bit of popular music has been affected by the production approach on Sgt Peppers. It is the quintessential basic approach to mixing/mastering an album to how you want it to sound through studio/DAWs.

It's not directly tied to composition in the traditional definition of the term, but is super important in the modern day version of it.

This particular innovation of the Beatles comes more from George Martin than any of the actual band members if this is getting confusing for some.
>>
>>66293377
How did you not like comus? First utterance has legendary songwriting
>>
>>66295208
>Production is a newer thing though, to compare it to Beethoven is absurd as that is an aspect of delivering and forming music that didn't exist in his time
Precisely because production is based on technology.

>The mixing on something like...
Mixing isn't quite the same thing. An engineer does that. A producer is different, and that isn't just my opinion - that's the way the responsibilities are dealt out.

>taking an approach to production
None of that had an impact on whether the music you're talking about was remembered. Rubin worked with some of his early classics, everything from RHCP to Slayer to hip-hip, but the production itself was never highlighted. Even on Yeezus, the production was criticized for being too roughshod.

Spiderland was innovative because of the music, not because of the production itself.

>It's not directly tied to composition
You have to be able to hear the composition. There are plenty of instances where you can't hear it and the whole thing suffers. But production doesn't make the music better, and it doesn't add anything at all other than making the recording listenable. The greatest popular music composition of all time, Sister Ray, had almost bad production. It doesn't make it any less great.
>>
>>66294320
Bowie sure did.
>>
File: David-Bowie-suit-laughing-2016.jpg (183 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
David-Bowie-suit-laughing-2016.jpg
183 KB, 1000x1500
>>66296824
Ebin.
>>
>>66292033
i remember when i was a teenager with OPINIONS about andy warhol

have fun, i guess
>>
>>66292412
Only good thing in this garbage thread thank you
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.