[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /mu/ like experimental pop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
>>
>>66289184
If this had been the original cover instead of that abomination that is the other cover, I might have given it a chance.
>>
File: bottomlesspit1.jpg (870 KB, 2302x2302) Image search: [Google]
bottomlesspit1.jpg
870 KB, 2302x2302
yes
>>
>>66289208
kys
>>
>>66289208
Her other album is better
>>
>>66289184
ive never listened to the album but im into experimental music. in what way is it experimental?
>>
>>66289267
it's not experimental,.if you like experimental pop, you should listen to halfaxa
>>
grimes is shit
>>
>>66289299
thats what i guessed, thanks.
also nice dubs
>>
>>66289184
that is not experimental pop, it's just pop
>>
>>66289208
Only when the experiment works.
>>
>>66289387
Name a similar album then.
>>
>>66289512
it having a sort of unique sound does not make it experimental

the album is straightforward and accessible from start to finish. there's absolutely nothing unpredictable or boundary-pushing about it. calling such a poppy release 'experimental' is an insult to actual experimental musicians.
>>
>>66289512
unique combination of influences =/= experimental; thats just - you know - being a person
>>
>>66289679
>>66289681
What do you understand by the term experimental? In my book, what Grimes does is experimental pop. It's boundary pushing because no one else is doing her kind of music. These songs may sound accessible but that's her genius, to insert the experimental elements into addictive pop songs. I'm yet to find similar songs to Circumambient, Be a Body, Kill V. Maim or Weregild. Do you know any?

>it having a sort of unique sound does not make it experimental
It does. It's not only about the sound, but the song structures, the singing, the various influences from other genres, the presentation, the production, the whole thing.
>>
>>66289835
can you give me a specific example? not trying to argue, but to me "experimental" music involves an experiment, as in a creative process where the outcome is unpredictable to the artist. electronically-based pop music isnt particularly experimental. does Grimes make use of chance elements, unusually tempered keys, or generative synthesis, etc?
>>
>>66289931
The instrumental versions of some of her songs:

Be a Body: https://clyp.it/pgk1bj2k
Colour of Moonlight (Antiochus): https://clyp.it/xafy2ndg
Genesis: https://clyp.it/uehcyc5z
Venus Fly: https://clyp.it/kzjwgm5x

For me, these tracks are work of genius. They're experimental in a sense that they're rare in pop music and because they include unique sounds. These songs are considered electropop but their instrumentals sound more like IDM or techno.
>>
>>66290284
i can see what you mean about timbres being a little unusual, but the music itself is very simple. unusual timbres resulting from synthesised sound might have been revolutionary in the 40s but i doubt it can really be considered avant-garde nowadays.

we obviously have different opinions on what level of compositional diversity constitutes experimentalism, and we should probably just leave it at that.
>>
>>66290445
If you're expecting some really weird avantgarde experiments, you will not get any of these. Experimental doesn't mean weird ass shit. Her music is pretty unusual for a pop artist. Very few artists had the same success as Grimes by making this kind of experimental pop. And yes, she experimented with sounds, she didn't just use presets.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.