[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What, in your opinion, is the greatest rock song ever recorded?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
What, in your opinion, is the greatest rock song ever recorded? My vote goes to either House Burning Down or Machine Gun.

I know /mu/ boner for Sister Ray, for some reason, so please give an original answer.
>>
>>66286791
Significant Other
>>
Sister Ray
>>
>>66286791
Sister Gay
>>
>>66286791
On GP
>>
File: 1966-122-005-086.jpg (160 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1966-122-005-086.jpg
160 KB, 750x750
>>66286791
Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
by a landslide
>>
>>66286791
sistah ray
>>
>>66286791
it's A Day in The Life or Light My Fire
>>
The Great Curve
>>
The End
>>
File: Love Forever Changes.jpg (176 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
Love Forever Changes.jpg
176 KB, 1425x1425
You Set the Scene- Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdELzBV9pyo

Somebody tell me what they think.
>>
>>66286791
a day in the life
>>
>>66286791
Machine Gun is just godly.
>>
>>66286791
Paranoid Android
>>
The Sound by Swans.
>>
>>66286825
Someone explain this one to me. Sister Ray is a good song, yeah, but what makes it so exceptional?
>>
Strawberry Fields Forever or God Only Knows.
>>
Venus in Furs
>>
File: Satisfaction-us.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Satisfaction-us.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>66286791
>I know /mu/ boner for Sister Ray, for some reason, so please give an original answer.
Well. That was going to be my pick But if you want me to pick something else. I have to go with Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones
>>
>>66286825
>>66286828
>>66286851
Only right answers.
Also a tribe called quest.
>>
The Sonics are the best rock band of all time, prove me wrong.
>>
Yes - Close to the Edge
>>
prolly something by soft machine with wyatt or 70's king crimson
>>
>>66286902
Beatles or Doors?
>>
Beatles - A Day In The Life
Pink Floyd - Echoes
King Crimson - Starless
Yes - Close To The Edge
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

these are powerful contenders
>>
>>66286947
Pretty godly. Acceptable answer.
>>
>>66286845
An excellent choice, but mine would probably have to be You Made Me Realize. The riff is great, the timbres are on point, and it's an oddity among the rest of MBV's catalogue to boot, which is pretty cool when you consider how pioneering the band was at the time. I especially like the fact that although it's different, it still had that distinct vibe that only MBV has.
>>
>>66288532
>Thick As A Brick
An absolute masterpiece.
>>
Surprisingly good taste in this thread, I'm digging it.
>>
>>66287410
This really
These songs are undeniably perfect
>>
>>66288567
this song sounds like Swans what the fuck?
>>
>>66286791

Red Sleeping Beauty by Mccarthy
>>
>>66288681
I could see that comparison, come to think of it. But it sounds a little too poppy for Swans.
>>
>>66287852
definitely up there, my man.

y'all gonna want to ban me, but i probably gotta go with the Stones' Satisfaction. Get Off of My Cloud perhaps. or Berry's Roll Over Beethoven. maybe something off the Nuggets compilation. hard to choose.

most definitely not Sister Ray or any of the other convoluted bullshit mentioned ITT.
>>
Tubular Bells
>>
I really, really like Souvlaki Space Station. The Great Curve was also mentioned.
>>
Motorpsycho - Vortex Surfer
>>
>>66288986
on second thought i'm gonna go with Johnny B. Goode.
>>
>>66288986
I kinda agree with you, I guess it just depends on what you consider rock music
I mean, I don't really like Satisfaction tbqh, but I could understand it being a dope rock song
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
>>
Johnny B. Goode.
>>
>>66286947
yeah it's pretty great, but it's too folk/pop inspired to ve a proper rock song.
>>
>>66287410
Hardly rock.
>>
The rock song that gets me everytime (I know it sounds a lot like Satisfaction) is Mr. Soul by the Buffalo Springfield. For me it captures the whole essence of the E/A/D chorded rock song.
>>
Bold as love
>>
>>66289200
Both are absolutely rock.
>>
>>66289434
way too much pop in them
>>
Just made a playlist of the greatest tracks in mainstream music. Does it look acceptable?

https://open.spotify.com/user/1158438491/playlist/4HDGBzc6pFTOLbrfi5mZPE
>>
>>66289102
perhaps. not that i wouldn't consider the more decorated stuff still rock, but nothing beats witty minimalist efficiency coupled with an engaging, charismatic performance for me.
>>
What a fool believes beats any jimi hendrix song by a longshot.
>>
Layla
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ3EWmdEki8

>Not posting the greatest live-recorded rock song ever.
>>
Sadly Jimi Hendrix did not write All Along The Watchtower so it would be unfair to give him the award for that clearly incomparable song
>>
more than a feeling
dirty boy
penny lane
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.