[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: sausage fattener.jpg (88 KB, 260x300) Image search: [Google]
sausage fattener.jpg
88 KB, 260x300
Where my /prod/ niggas at?

>questions
>discussions
>post gear/workspace
>for feedback, use clyp.it
>>
File: AOTY.png (1 MB, 895x895) Image search: [Google]
AOTY.png
1 MB, 895x895
I guess I'll start off.

https://clyp.it/2jm130e5
Something I finished earlier today. What should I improve?
I'm thinking of changing the kicks/snares to a more simple pattern. Should I?
>>
File: 1-HyVexvYJJiU3agH2GRGvxg.jpg (96 KB, 800x481) Image search: [Google]
1-HyVexvYJJiU3agH2GRGvxg.jpg
96 KB, 800x481
>>66285973
>>
https://clyp.it/djavzfty
probably about to master this. would really really appreciate any feedback on the mix (if you have decent monitors or something).
>>
can i get a lil feedy feedback - https://clyp.it/hd5abca1

what plugins would you say made the best positive impact on your mix? still feel like i cant mix for shit, are there any decent, cohesive guides you'd recommend? need to just start learning that aspect more, im sure the sonical progression will just come with practice.

ty x
>>
>>66287336
if you wanna learn how to mix good i'd say start by just focusing on getting good at EQ:ing shit. there was a great article about EQ for noobs that i found helpful. site it was hosted on seems to be gone but i managed to find this http://web.archive.org/web/20120319091525/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial/1

after that you could take a look at this article on compression http://web.archive.org/web/20130424093619/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/1474-compress-to-impress-a-complete-compression-tutorial
>>
>>66287321
smooth as fuck man, progresses really nice and doesn't get repetitive. i dont have any decent monitors but its sounding good to me. shitty feedback cus i cant give you anything to improve but id love to hear the mastered version when its done
>>
>>66287683
your words make me smile at least :) most of my shit gets pretty repetitive (used to making hip hop beats) but i tried to step outside that a bit with this one. thanks
>>
>>66287718
yeah, desu i hate how its standard in hip hop to make a 4-bar loop for 16 bars each verse. its the bit that i struggle with the most i think - coming up with new ways to progress a beat by keeping it similar but not changing too much as to throw off the flow.

could you gimme a little insight into your process? do you create one 'main' loop and then vary one element at a time for each bar so its a smooth change or something like that? I'm used to just creating a 'verse' loop and a 'chorus' loop and then dropping out certain elements occasionally but i wanna get more creative with it.

also would you be able to give me some feedback on the mix of my track, it's >>66287336
>>
>>66287321
mix sounds great for the most part. the crackling feels a little too present, but that just be a matter of taste. as for the track as a whole I think it could use a little more variety. maybe try dropping out percussion at some point, or switching out some of the rolled chords for more percussive stabs. still, very nice track.
>>
File: 1462583359397.jpg (97 KB, 850x565) Image search: [Google]
1462583359397.jpg
97 KB, 850x565
how she doin dudes?

https://clyp.it/zk3cgxcd
>>
>>66287918
well an easy thing to do is to just take out certain elements here and there. like taking out the kick and the hats but keeping the snare and some percs at the end of the loop.

that track is based on two different chord progressions. it starts with progression A, then there's a transition thats kind of a mix between them, then progression B, then at the end A comes in again.

then there are basically three melodic elements i play around with. one is a melody i made with a kalimba sound from kontakt but reversed, one is a vocal sample and one is me playing like three notes on the guitar. if you introduce them at different times shit doesnt get as boring as if you would begin the track with all three immediately and then just loop it all.

oh, and filtering everything is hella good sometimes

the kick is what bothers me about your track. i cant really tell if its supposed to be a big boomy 808 type thing or if its just a regular kick with a weak sine wave bass under it.if you're going for the 808 thing there are a million tutorials on how to mix that type of thing and get it to sound like X and Y. or you could make the kick a little less in your face and add a more ear grabbing bassline
>>
File: nina-kraviz-7close.jpg (23 KB, 220x248) Image search: [Google]
nina-kraviz-7close.jpg
23 KB, 220x248
>melody
>>
how do get good piano sounds please
>>
>>66288566
EQ, compress, and reverb properly. You can get stock pianos to sound really good doing this. Expensive VST pianos sound shit out of the box anyways, so you need to learn how to do it properly.
>>
>>66288206
ah ok thanks for the feedback man, gonna play around with some different kick/bass combos now.
>>
keep this shit 100 lads
>>
>>66287683
>id love to hear the mastered version when its done
not allowed to post sc link in here but i just finished it and posted it in the soundcloud thread
>>
File: 1451265929361.jpg (31 KB, 600x258) Image search: [Google]
1451265929361.jpg
31 KB, 600x258
>>66286068
>4 hours
>still no feedback
>>
>>66286068

Honestly I have no strong feeling about this one way or another. It was interesting enough to listen to, It didn't make me want to turn it off, but I don't really want to hear it again.

To your credit, it sounds pretty unique, like you are doing your own thing and not just worried about making edm banger number 858058. I appreciate that.
>>
File: 163052021.jpg (30 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
163052021.jpg
30 KB, 640x360
>>66286068
>>66290862
I take it back, it did start to grow on me. Sounds like you are championing a new genre that should be called pipe fog or something.
>>
wip desu

https://clyp.it/1i1vvmr3
>>
I got a new mixer today and the inputs are pretty crackly and the main fader hisses when I turn it up. It's pretty dirty on the outside but other than cleaning it what might fix it?
>>
>>66291340

I take it the mixer isn't store-new, just new to you?

If the main fader is hissing with no channel faders or effect returns turned up (is this what you did to test the fader?) then the amp circuit feeding the line out is just plain noisy - could be bad circuit design or a bad repair. If you're using control room outputs on the mixer instead it could be a source selection causing excess noise.

Hard to say though without knowing the model of mixer.
>>
File: 1452711503778.jpg (7 KB, 196x250) Image search: [Google]
1452711503778.jpg
7 KB, 196x250
>>66290999
>championing a new genre
That is honestly the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Thanks fami.
>>
>>66291340
Used mixer from a guitar store? I got one like that too, they are really cheap but usually pretty fucked (when my pots are centered they bias the level left). I would say return it.
>>
>>66286068
I understand all the discordance is intentionally stylistic, but it's personally unenjoyable and stale after about 30 seconds of toleration.

>>66291161
This is really cool. Nice textural progression. First sweep at 0:42 sounds more amateur than the rest of the piece tho.

>>66287336
Mixing is a little off-putting. Sounds empty. The drums could use some hi-end and the bass has no character

>>66287321
Mastering much needed this bitch is QUIET. This is like a good 8/10 however, I'm really enjoying it

>>66288164 is me
>>
>>66291161
I don't know if you were inspired by a particular track, but it reminds me a lot of Melt by Leftfield. It's pretty good.
>>
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 1080x1265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 1080x1265
I want to isolate the piano in a sample I have. I use live 9. How the fuck would I do this?
>>
>>66291890
I've been meaning to listen to them, are they good. I liked their one song, idr its name, they have cool basslines and sound design
>>
New Behringer synth "wow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KYEtspRa0
>>
>>66291695
Yeah, I got it on ebay. The guy said it worked when I asked him, but I'm guessing he just wanted to get rid of the thing. It's an Alesis multimix 16, I just read a few threads online about faulty circuits causing the main hiss on some models but it couldn't find anything about the inputs.
>>
Hey can you guys give me production advice on this one slow song? It doesn't sound like stuff usually posted here.

https://clyp.it/wuq5h43b

Yes, the vocals and whisles are just placeholders, I know they're shit
>>
https://clyp.it/153xc3se

What does everyone think of this? I pretty much just crank out tunes when I'm stressed and have 0 formal musical training. I think half the fun is just messing with the oscillators and getting things to sound interesting.

Anyway, tell me what you think. Drums are fairly weak.
>>
>>66292100

That's the mixer I have, the USB 2.0 variant - it shouldn't be noisy. Do you have the 16 USB, the 16 USB FX, 16 Firewire or 16 USB 2.0?
>>
>>66292134

Synths sound fantastic, I'm a sucker for large pads. Digital or analog? Techniques for getting that larger than life sound?
>>
>>66292210
I got the firewire model
>>
>>66292216
Hey thanks. All the synths are digital. The vangelis-type synths, as well as the drones are me trying to recreate a CS-80 in NI Massive, the distant-horns type sound is me layering a violin and horn preset in NI FM8, with some reverb. The bell is just FM8.

Basically for the big sound, use VST's that recreate analog instruments. Also a lot of smart reverb and EQing helps.
>>
>>66292280

Cool, then your layout is the same as mine.

When you first switch it on, the green power LED lights up, and the signal (green) and peak (red) indicator LEDs for the built-in effects (immediately to the left of the little segment display) should flash and then go out.

After a while of owning the mixer (10 months and I got mine new) I started to see that the signal LED for the effects was starting to stay lit a faint green, associated with a slight hiss when the return B was turned up.

It was the caps in the power supply - these mixers were built smack in the middle of the "shit Chinese capacitors" period that affected loads of consumer electronics and made me a decent income for a while repairing their effect.

Willing to bet you have the same issue - either the caps have bulged, or they have already been replaced with caps that are just as shitty. It's not all that hard to open the thing up to check.
>>
>>66292385
Yeah I've discovered that the fake "analog" virtual synths are usually the way to go. I've actually rather enjoyed limiting myself to stuff that's just built into Ableton (Operator, Analog, etc) instead of opting for some high class VST's. Although I'm curious about how much that would improve my game.
>>
>>66287321
love it
apart from that dippy sidechain, imo
>>
>>66292513
Pirating NI Massive was the best decision that I've ever made for my sound, you gotta put the time into learning it though; it's ridiculously complex but it can emulate pretty much anything.
>>
>>66292485

Oh, meant to add - the power supply is really just the power regulation and distribution board within the mixer, not the external transformer.
>>
>tfw no ppg wave gf
>>
>>66285973
https://clyp.it/dki504iy been making beats for like 8 months lemme know what you think
>>
>>66294338
What's the deal with ppg wave obsession? I never got why people who weren't around in the 80s love them so much.
>>
/b/tard here. Just got a macbook with garage band. how do I use it?
>>
File: 41FAbUn4SSL.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41FAbUn4SSL.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
I'm looking at most likely getting one of these soon for making drum beats and furthering into beats in general, but honestly I don't know much about these at all, my only midi controller is a korg microkey 37-key. I use Reaper as my DAW and I was planning on probably popping out my copy of reason limited again for this thing and doing songs in chunks, and putting them together in reaper. Again though, I come from a black metal/doom background with recording so beats is a little new to me, what should I know going into this all together?
>>
>>66294786
Delete system 32 and download ableton
>>
>>66294827
Stop posting the exact same shit in every thread
>>
>>66295346

nobody answered me last time
>>
>>66295514
then you can stop now
>>
>>66294827
I've never used my drum pads for beats, I just always end up plugging them in and adding artificial syncopation or adjusting them how I see fit. You're better off getting a midi keyboard, it's much easier to find a melody when you can "jam"
>>
>>66295583

Well I have my microkey but I know someone here said that I'm unable to map and do a lot of other things I should be able to do. Maybe I could look down the line at a better midi pad with keys and a few programmable buttons
>>
>>66295647
Ah I see. Yeah if you're trying to map functions or whatever I have no good advice for you. In fact, I probably have no good advice for anyone, I feel like I've developed this insanely weird way of producing music over the years just due to my habits and self learning haha
>>
>>66295980

I've mostly self taught myself a lot of things. I attempt things first and when they don't work I take what I did wrong and use it to ask the question and find my answers. I mean working in my DAW over the years I didn't really understand equalization and paining until I played around with everything and it made sense. I want to say the same with composition as well, off subject, because now that I've got a new mew mic and finally have a bass amp I'm understanding how to dissect something I thought sounded good when I played it alone into three different instruments and how they all fit together in how I equalize them, where I pan them, and everything else. (Sorry for my soapbox, but make mistakes first to figure out what questions you need to ask or you won't know why the hell you're even learning something)
>>
>>66292178
tight.
>>
File: stupid.jpg (53 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
53 KB, 970x545
The Juno 106, 6, and 60 are like the most popular retro synths. Why the fuck don't they do a proper reissue as opposed to this stupid mini 4 voice thing?
>>
File: wUsHZyn.jpg (298 KB, 746x1024) Image search: [Google]
wUsHZyn.jpg
298 KB, 746x1024
Can I get an opinion on the mix/arrangement for this track? Would like to hear what could be done to improve

https://clyp.it/m0xb1q0d?token=925e32df997c4c7f920b2624ec9be3bd
>>
>>66297998
well for starters it isn't techno
>>
File: damoaruno.jpg (55 KB, 561x370) Image search: [Google]
damoaruno.jpg
55 KB, 561x370
>>66298115
good post
>>
>>66297224
Thanks
>>
>>66297898
Its roland lad
>>
What's the difference between clipping, saturation and distortion?
>>
File: Distortion.gif (23 KB, 600x312) Image search: [Google]
Distortion.gif
23 KB, 600x312
>>66299907
They're all sort of the same thing. If you're dealing with actual electronic devices, there is a limit to how much gain that device can take before it starts to "clip" the sound, like in my pic. This can be referred to as "saturation" of the circuit. This changes the original signal, hence "distorting" it. Depending on what type of device you're "overdriving" you get different types of "clipping", which creates different harmonics in your output. So again, all sort of the same thing.

However often when you're dealing with effects not all the time, but often, distortion refers to creating the harmonics associated with distorting tubes, and saturation refers creating the harmonics associated with overdriving audio tape. Clipping on the other hand (again generally) refers to UNWANTED distortion caused by overdriving things.

All of this is very general, but I guess it's sort of the basics of it. It's easily argued that everything I said is wrong, because essentially all three words (plus my addition of overdrive) refer to the same basic principle.
>>
File: woah.png (39 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
woah.png
39 KB, 321x322
is there a 'virtual analog' wavetable synth? like a synth that introduces minor random irregularities into wavetables to give them that 'analog' sound?
>>
>>66302021
dune 2
>>
>>66302021
u talkin above wat u know shoty
>>
File: hapl.jpg (138 KB, 1306x1000) Image search: [Google]
hapl.jpg
138 KB, 1306x1000
where can i find acapellas like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDGTwC701Q
https://soundcloud.com/dummymag/kamixlo-mata-lo
>>
>>66302367
try saying a word in spanish over and over and over again. pretty sure it will be just as good as that track.
>>
>>66291931
find the frequency of the piano and filter out the rest
>>
>>66302685
lol
after that just use sausage fattener to bring everything else into the mix. after thats mixed use sausage fattener to bring the rest of it together.

give it like 30 minutes. then use sausage fattner again.
>>
>>66287641
>http://web.archive.org/web/20120319091525/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial/1

This is very good, many thanks.
>>
>>66302021
u can do this in Serum rly easily
>>
>>66297898
I was reading somewhere that all the guys who designed analog gear at Roland are retired or dead now.
>>
is there a way in FL to map a sample to a keyboard and have it play at any key without the actual speed of the sample changing?
>>
I get slight delay when I sequence my hardware synth from Ableton via MIDI, it is a strictly MIDI delay. How to fix?
>>
>>66304036
select the stretch function in edison
>>
>>66304294
do you know iftheres a way to do this in ableton? never bothered to try and change but it'd be helpful
>>
>>66304289

do you have delay compensation on?
are your hardware synths plugged into your interface's MIDI or a MIDI-USB adaptor?
>>
>>66304622
the new simpler (from 9.5 i think) lets you choose different ways of treating the sample, including stretch
>>
>>66304672
I do not have compensation on.
It makes no difference whether it is USB or regular MIDI.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hzJpeRLG0

how do you make this kind of voice riser that happens here before the vocals come in? I keep hearing it in songs and it's driving me nuts
>>
>>66304807
>It makes no difference whether it is USB or regular MIDI.

it does actually. USB tends to have more jitter/latency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyuSIR0z-lQ

add to that the MIDI-USB conversion, shitty adapters, shitty USB ports/drivers, etc etc
>>
>>66304865
Isn't that just reverse reverb?
>>
>>66304865
Take vocal, add massive reverb, render it then reverse it.

>>66304893
>1ms

Oh fuck that's literally nothing m8.
>>
File: elektron-octatrack-102036.jpg (238 KB, 1649x916) Image search: [Google]
elektron-octatrack-102036.jpg
238 KB, 1649x916
I'm probably going to buy an Octatrack, not completely sure though. What's your experience with the box?

Can you do hour long seamless live sets with it?

How about making complete tracks in the box?
>>
>>66304865

Reversed reverb - needs to be done in this order:

*Take your vocal sample, make a copy and reverse it.

*Add reverb to the reversed sample

*Record the reverb to its own separate track

*Reverse the recorded reverb

*Line the reversed reverb up with the original non-reversed vocal (you can delete the reversed one now if you like) so that the reversed tails precede the vocal

Why it needs to be done this way - you need the reverb to be acting upon the start of the vocal but reverb is an after-the-event effect, so you need to use a reversed vocal so that the start of the vocal sound you want effected is (temporarily) at the end, then (because reverb is after-the-event) you reverse the reverb to have the tail build up rather than die away.
>>
>>66305045

>How about making complete tracks in the box?

bump wanna know this too
>>
>>66304893
I am telling you the results of my experience.
>>
>>66305124
>>66305045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqxz8RZFEVE

You can make complete tracks with a simple electribe. Of course Octatrack is up to the task.
>>
>>66305233
i know it's possible, im more asking for personal experience. if there's some inconvenience with there just being 8 tracks, does it feel unnecessarily limited sometimes, or does the limitation only make you make more creative. especially coming from the perspective of someone always working with 50+ tracks in a DAW.
>>
File: susy1.jpg (915 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
susy1.jpg
915 KB, 3000x3000
[shill]
Fresh EP out, give it a listen fagios.
It has some bleeps and some bloops. Also it's free.
https://superlust.bandcamp.com/album/vector-superfields
[/shill]
>>
>>66304940
>>66304955
>>66305085
shit, it was that simple? thanks for the help, yo!
>>
>>66305297
I can attest that the limitations will make you explore venues you never have before and improve your music greatly.
>>
>>66305688
i recon you have had one for quite some time?
how about performing hour long or so sets?
im buying it to breathe new life into my production process as well as to finally perform live
>>
>>66305802
Yes, I have had a limitation for a long time, namely autism.
>>
>>66305233
that was utter garbage

>>66305320
cool so far, has a nice a Rsdio vibe to it
>>
File: wtf-is-this-shit.jpg (29 KB, 456x297) Image search: [Google]
wtf-is-this-shit.jpg
29 KB, 456x297
>>66305828
>>
https://clyp.it/dzj4bdct
How's this sounding?
I was gonna turn it into a jump-up kind of thing but now I'm thinking more of a chilled out dnb thing
>>
File: 201602_1009_gfhfe_sm.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
201602_1009_gfhfe_sm.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
>>66303948
Just get together a competitive team of engineers to tear apart a vintage Juno ffs.

I'd trade my left nut for a Juno-60 reissue. Until then I'll have to settle with U-NO LX.

>mfw all these recent reissues
>>
>people giving away their shekels to "re-issues" of outdated muh analog gear
>>
>>66306229
Save up and buy a used one. Theres no way they could do it cheaper than 1500 which is like the upper price on a 60.
>>
>>66306270
>obligatory jelly poorfag post
>>
>>66305920
>cool so far, has a nice a Rsdio vibe to it
Thank you! I never heard of it tho. Can u show me something senpai?
>>
>>66306425
sure, namely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDP7TCGmw8
>>
>>66306533
good stuff
>>
>>66306270
>caring what other people do with their money
>>
>>66307018

I don't care about what you do with your money, I'm only pointing out the idiocy of paying money for poorly executed "re-issues" of outdated gear
>>
>>66307174
>obligatory jelly poorfag reply
>>
>>66307249

I'm not a "jelly poorfag" tho.
>>
>>66307174
T. Generic soundcloud trap producer
>>
>>66306533
Damn son, I seriously thought it was some obscure artist I never heard of.
I always listen to tri repetae all the way through and never pay attention to the track titles. I get the comparison now.
>>
>>66307398

nah I own a lot of gear and I don't produce rap, I'm just not some retarded idiot who buys shit gear because of hype
>>
>>66307174
clearly you care enough to spew your stupid opinion
>>
>>66307491
Dan j?
>>
I need some serious help.

I've played in shitty gutter punk and power violence bands pretty much my whole life. I've always been into shoegaze and math rock sort of stuff, and I've decided that I wanted to make an album by the end of the year.
Write it, record it with my home studio, mix, and master all DIY.

I'm really having trouble writing songs. I think that punk ruined me. Everything I write has the guitar parts over taking everything.

Any advice on the writing process from non-punk ruined composers? Do I start with lyrics and build around them? I've always just made guitar parts, got with a drummer, and had a vocalist put words to it.

I'm lost.
>>
>>66309305
i always begin with a melody and jam over it until i find something that sounds nice. I've never finished a track that way but it's something you could do i suppose. also stop blaming punk on your lack of versatility
>>
>>66309427
Thanks for the advice. Trying that right now.

And yes, I shouldn't blame punk for it. Its all my fault for not branching out and practicing diverse composition.
>>
>>66286068
I like it, but it's a little too "loopy". Bring things in and out, or change them, instead of just leaving everything lying around.
>>
would any of you Xfer Serum users care to give some feedback on my patches?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyo1kgvfavf622i/serum%20stuff.zip?dl=0
>>
Can you rec electronic renderings of art music?

I'm aware of Switched-On Bach and Tomita's Debussy.

Apart from that, I only know a few scattered YouTube examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2l5RkeEkBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudzFtiigs
>>
>>66309305
>I've decided that I wanted to make an album by the end of the year.
good luck with that anon. Do you honestly think you'll have the skills to write, record, mix and master a whole album in one year when you are already having trouble writing songs? I'm not trying to shit on you but at least be a little bit realistic here, you've basically got 4 separate jobs there that will take more than a year each to master and thats being generous
>>
>>66310002
Very true statement. I'm starting to realize this.

Maybe I'll revise my goals to just have it recorded. Then I'd be forced to spend the year making the best compositions that I can.

Thanks Anon, you saved me a metric fuckload of frustration.
>>
>>66306270
It's okay, I get straight up triggered whenever someone gets a GAIA SH-01
>>
>>66309305
here's serious help http://stash.reaper.fm/v/3107/wdyrsla_061709.pdf
>>
>>66309305
if the other link doesn't contain everything, look here http://stash.reaper.fm/u/Smurf?u=u
>>
https://clyp.it/no2tpi31

I made another rap beat rate it it took me like 2 hours
>>
>>66286068
If you're still here your drums sound like shit and you should consider replacing the arpeggiated base with long base notes instead and moving the movement (more or less the melody) into the mid/high frequencies.

I imagine you're going for sort of this sound

https://soundcloud.com/alltrapnation/brothel-blessed-haven

https://soundcloud.com/jakeleeismyname/underwater-sun
>>
I have a few general questions. I'm going to college next year as a music production major with a minor in business. What would you recommend i associate myself with? (i.e tools, software, just general shit i should know) I've messed around with sound equipment and shit since i was a youngin' and i recently downloaded fl studio (no idea if its even a good software or not, if you've got a better one please let me know). Basically i want to be abl;e to create my own music and shit like that or record and mix for bands. I am a musician so im not lost when it comes to notes and chords and shit like that. Any help is appreciated
>>
>>66311315
what kind of music do you want to create?
>>
>>66311315
for your consideration, a lesson i learned the hard ware: music production major will not teach you to make best new bangers
>>
>>66309305
Write about things that make you feel, don't try to force your creativity.Not saying that sitting down with a notebook and coffee won't yield results. If you have the words to convey the message you want the music will follow suit.
>>
>>66311358
Originally i wanted to be a music teacher but soon realized i hate teaching kids. and a performance major is signing up for a life of debt. so this was my best choice.
>>66311339
I mostly listen to classic rock because that's what i was brought u on but i listen to a bit of everything (most generic answer). I like edm artists (Savant, Caspa, Excision,) Classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, The Band) Ska music, big band, even some weird shit like Blood Orange and Dr Who Dat. My favorite band is probably RHCP (inb4 they're trash)
>>
>>66311515
see >>66310524 and >>66310551
>>
1>https://clyp.it/lyzovqzq
2>https://clyp.it/cojxovqj
3>https://clyp.it/3o3vm05z

How can I mix these better?
Would you bump these in your whip, homie?
>>
>adjust hats so they're wider than the leads
>"ok, sounds good", go to sleep
>adjust leads so they're wider than the hats
>"ok, sounds good", go to sleep
>adjust hats so they're wider than the leads
Kill me softly.
>>
Do you follow any youtube channels with tutorials about mixing and sampling? I'm a visual guy so learning from books takes me a lot more than looking some examples.
>>
what are some cheap but decent headphones?
>>
>>66310756
In two fucking hours your mind didn't sparkle to change the velocity of each hi hat?

Something like low vel then high vel or high vel then low vel.

or just turning down the volume of it so I can just ignore it.

everything else is fine
>>
>>66313341
maybe you should collab just to get another ear on that...
>>
>>66314047
No way I'm letting my baby get raped by another producer's grubby hands and dirty equalizers.
>>
>>66314163
just save a new version and mix with someone else around.... dont send anyone files...
>>
>>66314253
Having no irl friends puts a damper on that, kind of.
>>
>>66302367
holy fuck, that sucks
>>
Any of you have experience making ambient or ambient-y music?

What soundlibraries do you use? I have Omnisphere, but it isn't very versatile IMO.
>>
>>66314873
a couple of pans and chanting are enough for everyone
>>
>>66314873
Anon, I'm afraid it's not omnisphere that's not versatile.
>>
>>66314873
does this count as ambient?

https://clyp.it/1i1vvmr3

if so, use Diva

Also, Omnisphere is very versatile wat
>>
>>66312382
Your melodies and rhythms are really good, I'd bump it but I'd add more texture via mixing and counterrhythms in other instruments to keep the track bouncing. Listen to a metroboomin track and see how he keeps the tempo going in different instruments. Nice drum sounds too but need a bit more grit and distortion imo to really bump. Reverb on the snare and some instruments would help too, try messing with 100% reverb and fucking with the EQ/dry and wet.
>>
File: katana.jpg (26 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
katana.jpg
26 KB, 367x500
>>66315225
Shut your mouth or face my blade.
>>
i had the idea to try noise cancelling headphones for field recording purposes. i remember the bose ones cancelled noise really well but i dont remember how they actually sounded quality-wise because it was a really long time ago and i didnt know about good headphones.

are they any good/what are some other decent noise cancelling headphones?
>>
>>66315434

What's the logic behind this? Noise cancelling (in its traditional sense, using active noise control) acts on any sound happening outside the headphones, but the sound you'll be listening to on the headphones IS the sound happening outside, as picked up by your recording mic - won't the noise cancelling negatively affect what you're hearing?
>>
>>66315672
>What's the logic behind this?
basically just trying to hear more of what the recording i'll have will sound like in the end and less of what my ears are actually picking up from the surroundings
>>
>>66316014
also they'd probably double as my everyday on-the-go listening headphones, so i wouldn't be buying them just for this purpose (it's also why i wanted some opinions on the bose ones in terms of sound quality or suggestions for other models)
>>
>>66315334
*unzips katana so hard it ends up on the z-plane*
>>
How's werk goin my music peeps?
>>
>>66316316
I went to sleep after making my hats wider than the lead.
>>
File: hmmm.png (90 KB, 337x333) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
90 KB, 337x333
>>66316331
That sounds neat anon
>>
>>66316383
I'll change it to be the other way around tomorrow. Again.
>>
Hey /prod/
I don't do sample-based music, but I accidentally sped up david bowie's lazarus and found some nice shit:
https://clyp.it/uc4tmyu5
Thought some of you might find it useful.
>>
>>66315324
Great feedback
thank you!
>>
https://clyp.it/pm2xf444
i'm using broken headphones and i can't tell if there's something off about the timbre of the drums
>>
File: NEKRIT EXPANSE RE-UP.png (535 KB, 497x453) Image search: [Google]
NEKRIT EXPANSE RE-UP.png
535 KB, 497x453
I have no idea what im doing, just putting together sounds that sound nice ish together

https://clyp.it/vns52umb

I also like star trek so thats there too

Tell me what you think I dont have many friends to ask for critique
>>
>>66320121
comfy
>>
>>66287321
u got a ssoundcloud, kid?
>>
File: different ice cream.png (119 KB, 458x227) Image search: [Google]
different ice cream.png
119 KB, 458x227
>>66320121
Don't worry anon, no one here has any idea what they are doin :)

>>66320319
its normally best not to post it in prod, you will get yelled out.
>>
>>66288164
>https://clyp.it/zk3cgxcd
sounds very nice i like that 'inspected' sound
>>
>>66297998
i kinda miss the low end
>>
>>66320328
you are excused this time, just post it
>>
>>66320446
ok http://cloudwhale.bandcamp.com/album/couch-expectations
>>
>>66288164
>https://clyp.it/djavzfty
can you post your soundcloud link too? I'm pretty curious
>>
File: 1456617007483.jpg (12 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1456617007483.jpg
12 KB, 320x320
>>66320178
i was comfy making it im glad u were comfy listening to it

>>66320328
:) :**

what did you think of it?
>>
>>66320503
>https://clyp.it/vns52umb
Were you going for Music Concrete? down tempo?
>>
meh...
https://clyp.it/5slcap1d
How's mine?
>>
>>66320898
>https://clyp.it/5slcap1d
lacks confidence to be honest famiglia
>>
>>66321196
>famiglia
>>
>>66321375
>famiglia
>>
>>66320831
Music concrete sounds close to what I was doing but I was not going for anything

I had to Google that learn what it was lolz

I like ur track bb

Put the effect at 52s on at 20s for a bit
>>
File: nero.jpg (50 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
nero.jpg
50 KB, 620x350
>>66321429
>>
>>66321416
I have no idea what that means 2bh

>>66321429
I have no idea what the last line means
>>
File: ui.jpg (32 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
ui.jpg
32 KB, 500x377
>>66321506
>>
>>66321641
Do you wanna sit in the corner anon?
>>
https://clyp.it/3yja2is2
>>
don't bore us get to the chorus
>>
can i get some feedback on this if someone's free?

https://clyp.it/yd4l2vdx

i feel like some parts might feel too empty, some too loud, idk. this is my first time using vocaloid as well so lemme know if that sucks
>>
>>66320454
FUCK YOU
NO SOUNDCLOUD
Fuck you
>>
>>66321837
Pretty cool. Sounds like a car commercial
>>
>>66322870
main synths sound a bit lackluster, a bit generic. the melody is pretty good but it needs something with a bit more edge and depth.
maybe a bit harsher and wider.

vocaloid sounds fine, delay and reverb sound good.
>>
What kind of filters are used when separating bands in multiband compressors?
>>
>>66318775
Sounds great! I think more substitutions, maybe a sequence, would make the harmony more interesting
>>
I love distortion more than I love myself
https://clyp.it/mng21olq
>>
So much talent in this ITT. Keep it up guys
>>
Can we stop obsessing over analog gear? It's the year 2016 after all. There's no reason to use it anymore.
>>
File: here.gif (2 MB, 420x298) Image search: [Google]
here.gif
2 MB, 420x298
>>66325981
>>
>>66286929
FANTASTIC
>>
>>66325981
>2016
>Not wanting to make music that sounds like it's straight out of 79-84
>>
>>66327190
kids these days just can't keep up with an accelerating past
>>
can anon give me a quick tl;dr of how "live" bleep shows are executed?

I'm making the transition to 100% gear and I'm trying to put together a live act. this is what I'm guessing

>Master sequencer with the "OUT" Midi plugged into a MIDI splitter box
>all muh gear and synths connected to said box through the "IN" MIDI
>each piece of gear on a separate MIDI channel
>sequencer send trax to each device
>as each device plays, fuck around with the envelope/filters to make it sound more organic and y'know, "live". maybe do some improv on the drums. manually trigger small things while the sequencer does its thing

is this the basic idea of live shows?
>>
>>66327507
u press play and then play solitaire using midi controllers until the show is over
>>
>>66327572

lmao
>>
>>66327507
For me, my sequencer only runs two monophonic sequences, so I use those for upper bassline stuff and melodic sequences. I still have a monosynth and a poly left over, what a coincidence, I have two hands. Typically I use the mono for sub bass, and occasionally melodies and leads. I also use it a lot for FM filter sound effects. As you can imagine I play pads and chords on the poly. When it comes to drums, I typically program them on the fly
>>
>>66325981
Can we stop whining about things we don't like in threads that are bound to contain discussion about them? I mean it's the current year! There's no reason to be a bitter poorfag anymore.
>>
>>66327956
stop chewing bait
>>
>>66325981
the only people who "love" analog gear are the ones that never had to do any serious work with it

there is a reason why every old geezer is more than happy to dump their literal garbage (~15 years ago all those Junos and Prophets were being sold for pennies on the dollar because nobody wanted them) on hipsters with an analog fetish
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (58 KB, 814x332) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
58 KB, 814x332
>>
>>66328074
Brian """"10 DX7s"""" Eno
>>
the bitter poorfag is pretty mad this morning

did somebody tell him to rebrew their coffee?
>>
>>66324257

Crossover filters usually:

http://uk.mathworks.com/help/audio/examples/multiband-dynamic-range-compression.html
>>
>>66327507

In addition to the stuff you've mentioned, a lot of people also use a master MIDI clock to sync their main sequencer along with any sequences that can be stored on the devices themselves, so that they can do what >>66327871 does and work on the devices themselves to change parts and parameters.

Some won't use a main sequencer at all and will only use device sequences synced to a master clock, but it's all down to the gear you have and the music you make.
>>
>>66327572
I like this anon.

>would buy a beer/10
>>
>>66327507
>sequencer send trax to each device
>as each device plays, fuck around with the envelope/filters...

You could do it this way, but with a linear sequence as you are describing (entire song arrangement recorded in a linear fashion and played) you might as well just have an audio file as your backing track against one or two sequenced parts because you wouldn't be able to tweak enough things at once to justify sequencing everything and having all of that gear up there with you.

if you are going to perform using only gear, I'd suggest you should be use a loop based sequencer (every midi track plays for a specified number of measures then repeats). This will give you much more control over everything because you build the arrangement on the fly by muting on/off midi tracks. This method is also more forgiving for a live performance, for example: if you miss a cue point for a transition in the arrangement, you are able to let everything play for another phrase before attempting again...
>>
What are some decent prod learning YTs?

I'm feel crappy that idk chords and stuff and I have a few of the basics down, but a somewhat major producer admitted on twitter today that he doesn't even know how to FL.

Shit made me so mad. I just wanna make some hoodrat shit with my friends.
>>
>>66327572
I swear to god this is what daft punk and flylo do
>>
>>66331003
daft punk yes
flylo kinda yes
>>
File: image.jpg (518 KB, 1024x695) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
518 KB, 1024x695
>>66331737
>>66331003
>tfw daft punk has 3 more minimoogs than you
>>
Can anyone give me production advice? Ignore the placeholder vocals, I know they're shit

https://clyp.it/2h4mgnyk
>>
>>66330942
>a somewhat major producer admitted on twitter today that he doesn't even know how to FL.
What the hell is FL?
>>
>>66331869
>1 ABLETON
With fucking knobs?
>2 SCREENS
With fucking knobs?
>3 MOOGS
Without fucking knobs?
>>
>>66332380
FLStudio, my bad.
>>
Thoughts please?

https://clyp.it/dbsyvjvx
>>
>>66332486
Lol. I didn't even notice the numbers. Jesus christ
>>
>>66332649
The text also doesn't match the descriptions.
>>
>>66332504
>>66332504
>FLStudio, my bad.
I dont even know how to FLStudio, I haven't used it since it first came out and I have no intention of using it in the future.
Why the fuck would that make you mad? Not every producer uses FLStudio.
Also to answer your question there are literally thousands of YT Tuts, Dubspot do a few, point Blank do some. I'd mostly stay away from any that are filmed in some dudes bedroom too.
>>
>>66331869
>explains the secrets of the best show in dance music ever.
kek
>>
>>66332537
real spooky kiddo
that clap is awful tho
>>
>>66333373
jokes on u it's supposed to be awful :^)

https://clyp.it/tpmzc2cv
>>
>>66292485
>>66292697
Thanks man, are they hard to replace? I'm guessing it being dirty as hell has a lot to do with it but most of what I've read online has said the capacitors are usually the problem?

Also, if I do change them what kind should I get? I'm not sure if I should just fix it and use it or just get a standalone recorder like a tascam and an interface
>>
>>66292075
meh, probably a bad minibrute copy
>>
What mixer/interface should I get? I wanna get one that won't have many problems
>>
>>66328534
>>66328026

thanks, I guess I'll have to sit down and just work out a method.

>>66329649
since I'd be making bleeps then yah, a loop based sequencer is what I had in mind. The sequencer I have in mind has a very capable sampler, so I could combine those. I also have external FX that can be easily mapped to a controllers so I have a lot to work with
>>
>>66286068
i really like this honestly
>>
>>66333489
Not the same anon, but soldering caps is dead easy. If you do end up replacing them, just make sure you buy the same capacitance and voltage rating.
Actually, voltage rating could be a bit larger, just don't go lower.
>>
>>66334311
Cool, I'll look more into it too just so I know what I'm getting.

And does anyone know how to remove stripped screws without damaging whatever they're attached to? Like half the screws on the mixer are fucked so I can't even take it apart, my luck just keeps getting better and better....
>>
File: 1465748283493.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
1465748283493.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
>run sampler directly into guitar multi effects unit (Boss ME-50)
>turn on modulation and delay effects, sounds fine
>turn on distortion effect, volume goes quite loud and it sounds "squashed" in a way
>same thing happens with separate distortion pedal (Boss DS-2)
>same thing happens with various synths

Should I look into reamping the sampler before running it into the pedals? Or could is that just the way Boss units are? When I run the same samples into the virtual guitar pedals in Logic Pro X, they sound much cleaner, in a good way. The thing that's making me doubt I need a re amp box is the fact that the mod/delay/reverb effects sounded fine to me. I've also seen people suggest using bass distortion pedals for synths.
>>
opinions on this beat?
https://clyp.it/4nsukd4o

>>66333373
why do faggots like you even respond?
literally why are you even in /prod/?
>>
>>66334964
make it 4/4 then we'll talk ;)
>>
Are you makin a lot of bleeps and bloops /prod/?
>>
File: 1323446493483.jpg (44 KB, 409x393) Image search: [Google]
1323446493483.jpg
44 KB, 409x393
>>66335031
>implying its not 4/4
learn to count faggot
>>
>>66334476
Well, whatever you do don't try to loosen them up five times a day just in case as you'll just fuck yourself more. Careful drilling out would be the most efficient.
>>
https://clyp.it/roexunzo

I experimented recording my band the other day. Drums are placeholder, takes are haphazard; just wanted to find a nice ensemble sound without compressing the fuck out of everything. I have no prior experience recording rock bands. How close am I?
>>
hello gentlemen, i have a black metal loop track that I'm going to practice blastbeats over. it's a two guitars and a bass, could I add anything else to make it more interesting?
>>
>>66334732
Guitar signal levels are super low (since everything in the guitar is passive) so distortion pedals are meant to have like 0 headroom
>>
>>66335442
>>66334476
>>66334311
One more thing, how can I safely remove the capacitors? Do I have to discharge them beforehand or can I just desolder them?
>>
File: 1442080211309.jpg (136 KB, 400x750) Image search: [Google]
1442080211309.jpg
136 KB, 400x750
>tfw almost all projects i start end up with bass that sounds dull, overwhelming, muddied, and/or unclear in the mid range

are low end sounds supposed to be a pain in the ass to balance out or am I just bad at mixing
>>
>>66335962
Unless they're filter capacitors, nothing bad should happen. You can check it with a voltmeter and see if it has any charge stored. If it has, shorting it through a resistor will discharge it, though take care not to burn it and yourself if the caps are big. Most designs should have a bleed resistor that discharges the capacitors automatically though.
>>
>>66335962
Capacitors are usually only dangerous in tube based PSUs, which are only found in guitar amps or circuits too archaic to bother repairing anyways.
>>
Check out my new track
It's a MBDTF remix featuring Rick Ross, give it a like if you want :)
https://clyp.it/jz2lxcme
>>
>>66336554
I feel your pain man. spent pretty much the whole day sound designing a bass and everything I tried sounded shit, even tried a load of preset subs from Complete and I couldn't get any of those to sit right.
>>
File: folder.jpg (158 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
158 KB, 500x493
https://clyp.it/2a4yll4s
rate my choon
>>
>>66337356
needs moar cowbell
>>
How do I start getting gigs
>>
a couple of my friends really like this.
https://clyp.it/5aoow0bc

any thoughts?
>>
>>66336964
im pretty sure you absolutely need good monitors to mix bass or else it'll always be off
>>
>>66336857
please listen!!!
>>
>>66337654
>Rick Ross
Fuck no
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.