[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are people on this board that seriously consider hip hop a lesser
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1.jpg (159 KB, 873x826) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
159 KB, 873x826
are people on this board that seriously consider hip hop a lesser form of art? or is it just memes
>>
>>66276464
hipop is the meme
>>
no memes

what would mozart think about rap """music"""

rappers are not musicians. they're third-rate poets.
>>
File: Avrill.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Avrill.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
I don't doubt it, many of the board's population are impressionable young adults so I don't doubt they to jump to such a absolute generalization. I myself am one of them but I tend to distance myself from such debates as they are ultimately pointless and non-constructive.
>>
Lesser than what?
>>
>>66276506
Mozart would love hiphop
>>
>>66276541
actual music
>>
>>66276555
Nice digits. What's "actual music"?
>>
>>66276464
I love Hop-Hop but it IS a lesser form of art than say Rock, Jazz or Classical music.

It's hardly about the music and what music there is is very minimal. Usually just a simple repeated beat sometimes with some variation and/or a chorus. INot to mention that a lot of beats are made out of previously recorded music.

It's mostly about vocals which aren't very musical or melodic.
>>
>>66276555
kek this should be good
>>
>>66276464
it take less skill than anything that isnt mainstream pop. that doesn't make it a lesser form of art though.
>>
>>66276530
>I myself am one of them but I tend to distance myself from such debates as they are ultimately pointless and non-constructive.
In other words you have a stupid opinion but don't want to debate anyone over it because you know you'll lose.
>>
>>66276573
>Rock
Not really. Jazz and classical, yeah maybe. It could get there if only hip-hop artists could just be a little fucking more ambitious, but nah getting that paper is more important.
>>
>>66276464
>Hip hop
>Art

Pick one.
>>
>>66276569
not some hoodlum rhyming liking a third grader about his active sex life, income, and drug use over a beat that was ripped from a real song
>>
>>66276464
How do I into Hip-Hop m8s? I try to but I just get bored so quick and space out. The music is sometimes cool for a minute but it's so simple and repetitive. A 4 minute track will jut utilize the same drum beat and sample the whole time. And half the time they rap so fast I can't catch everything.

I feel like you have to be more interested in lyrics than in actual music to be a big fan.
>>
>>66276606
Also for what it's worth, the best minds in rock and jazz and classical have all worked with decidedly un-musical and un-melodic material, and made great stuff out of it. At this point it's practically an achievement.
>>
>>66276573
What about rap rock or jazz rap?
>>
>>66276689
Regardless of anything Rock is still a superior art form because it's more complex and organic. Not just simple beats with lyrics over them. Not to mention Rock covers such an extremely large number of artists it's ridiculous.
>>
>>66276734
Rap Rock is Rock music, just with rapping vocals. Jazz Rap is Hip-Hop with beats taken from Jazz. Adding to my point that Rock music is superior because artists create their own music unlike Hip-Hop which just samples from previously recorded music. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's not as creative as just making something new altogether.
>>
>>66276740
What is organic about the sound of the electric guitar?

And what isn't organic about a man speaking candidly about the things that he sees and hears and thinks about in his everyday life?
>>
File: Avril Under My Skin.jpg (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Avril Under My Skin.jpg
1 B, 486x500
>>66276595
Not really. I mean, do you jump into every online debate you come across when you know it's going to be a waste of time? If there was merit in 4chan's constant arguments about hip-hop then I would have no problem. Time and time again it's the same shit

>copypasta arguments
>inflammatory statements made to anger instead of promoting discussion
>greentext strawmen

I have discussed and debated hip-hop in other boards and avenues, but debating it here is just a waste of time and energy better spent elsewhere.
>>
>>66276762
I fail to see how lack of """creativity""" by way of using samples makes hip-hop any less of an art. To me art is something that emotionally resonates with people, and plenty of sample-based music has done that. I've gotten more emotional connection out of To Pimp a Butterfly and Since I Left You than any jazz album I've listened to, personal preference of course, but I still felt something listening to them.
>>
It is just so shamelessly commercial, it's hard to really give it much artistic merit. I like hip hop, not huge into it but I can admire good beats and what not but the genre is so ridden with cliches and commercial drivel that I just don't care to explore it. It glamorizes some of the most deplorable aspects of consumerism, popular culture, and male insecurity that most rappers are mere parodies unto themselves. It's tired and endlessly revolving but hardly ever evolving.
>>
Well the hip hop that is being called legitimate art (comparably to other music considered art, that is) is more overrated than anything else.
>>
>>66276791
>And what isn't organic about a man speaking candidly about the things that he sees and hears and thinks about in his everyday life?
I'm talking about the music and not the vocals. Like I said rapping isn't very musical. And electric guitar is organic because it's a physical string instrument that you have to play. Just because the sound and tone are enhanced doesn't change that. Besides I didn't say it was completely organic. I said it was more organic than a repeated loop beat.
>>
>>66276829
It's about what goes into it, not what you're getting out of it. I'm speaking in objective terms (technical aspects and whatnot) not the subjective terms of how much you or I may personally enjoy something.
>>
>>66276957
>It's a physical string instrument that you have to play
In my opinion this is a red herring. It's about the sound that's produced, not the way you produce it. When you're listening to a rock album you don't even see the musicians, you don't even see the guitar, you hear the sound. And the more I listen to things other than rock, the more I realize the unnatural, almost surreal sonic qualities of a heavily distorted electric guitar, as is the standard in rock music. To me there is no difference between that and a synthesizer or a sampler, as far as "organic" or "natural" goes.
>>
>>66276981
You can't judge the artistic merit of something using objective terms because art, by definition, is subjective. You can say whatever genre of music isn't art because of how it's made, it's based on what it amounts to.
>>
>>66276506
Pretty much anything made in this century would fucking blow Mozart's mind, let alone rap music
>>
>>66277081
>In my opinion this is a red herring. It's about the sound that's produced, not the way you produce it.
Refer to >>66276981
>>
>>66277091
>You can't judge the artistic merit of something using objective terms because art, by definition, is subjective.
Your enjoyment of it is absolutely subjective. But as I stated we should be talking about the objective terms (i.e. the technical aspects of how the music is made)

For example it's a fact that more effort is put into Rock music than rap. Drums, bass, guitar and vocals all playing unique parts that need to be performed throughout the whole song VS. a repetitive beat that maybe lasts 10 seconds altogether and is often just ripped from a past work and vocals on top.
>>
File: fountain.jpg (14 KB, 350x284) Image search: [Google]
fountain.jpg
14 KB, 350x284
>>66277105
>technical aspects
In the year 2016, this is high art.
Your move.
>>
>>66276740
>>66276762
It's funny that /mu/ is slowly becoming the wrong generation reddit crowd that it once made fun of
>>
>>66277139
Did you even read what I said? I said you can't determine art based on what's put into it. I could draw a shitty picture in paint in 2 minutes and it's still just as much a piece of art as any music, not particularly good art to many people, but still art.
>>
>>66276651
this
>>
Name one hip hop album that is actual art.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>66277790
>>
>>66276651
How is this anything different from rock? Like Led Zeppelin or Kiss for instance
>>
>>66276506
if you knew anything about mozart you'd know he'd go apeshit for hiphop
>>
>>66276981
this isn't true though. lots of technically skilled musicians out there creating boring and irrelevant music.
>>
>le wrong generation; the thread

off urself old fucks/conservatards
>>
worst thing to happen to the west since the plague
>>
>>66277947
>>66277099
please be bait
>>
>>66276464
I do personally think that Hip-Hop is a lesser form of art
>>
>>66276464
>are people on this board that seriously consider hip hop a lesser form of art? or is it just memes

Yes, there are people on this board that seriously consider hip hop a lesser form of art. No, it's not just memes.
>>
File: death-grips-niggas-on-the-moon.jpg (48 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
death-grips-niggas-on-the-moon.jpg
48 KB, 800x800
>>66277790
>>
>>66277833
I'm praying God this is a fucking meme omfg
>>
>>66279101
>omfg
You sound like the type of person who would love 21P though
>>
To think any genre of music is lesser because of your personal preference is the epitome of being a pleb.
>>
>>66279517
>To think any genre of music is lesser because of your personal preference is the epitome of being a pleb.

Well if that preference is backed up with reasons, it's genuinely not though. Some genres are trash any way you look at it. Reggaeton, for instance.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.