[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which was the masterpiece of 1991?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 21
Discuss
>>
>Nevermind instead of Laughing Stock
>>
Screamadelica or Bandwagonesque.
>>
>>66268075
Nevermind influenced several artists, it belongs there.
>>
>>66268058
It was actually The Pod by Ween, but Loveless is the best on here
>>
>nevermind
>>
>>66268058
Spiderland>Loveless>Nevermind
If you disagree get off my board immediately
>>
File: Yerself Is Steam.jpg (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Yerself Is Steam.jpg
47 KB, 400x400
>>
>>66268058
loveless > *laughing stock > spiderland
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 342x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 342x333
>>
File: 1460772174867.jpg (33 KB, 492x362) Image search: [Google]
1460772174867.jpg
33 KB, 492x362
>>66268675
>>
Badmotorfinger
>>
>>66268058
Laughing Stock 9/10
Loveless 9/10
Spiderland 9/10
Slow Deep and Hard 8/10
Yerself Is Steam 8/10
Nevermind 6/10
>>
File: Untitled.png (38 KB, 405x406) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
38 KB, 405x406
>>66268868
>Slow Deep and Hard better than Nevermind
>>
File: cover.png (563 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
563 KB, 600x600
>>
>>66268868
Why is nevermind 6/10 it is genuinely an influential and good album even if they better in their discography
>>
Loveless > Nevemind > Spiderland

Loveless seeped itself into the mainstream and has been the most influential over the longest period of time. Nevemind changed the face of pop culture immediately after release and still holds up and is the "standard" that mainstream rock music has been trying to recapture since.

Spiderland is who gives a shit.
>>
>>66269624
GTFO PLEB REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>66269677
>Spiderland is who gives a shit.
uhh i think youre a little misinformed about the album
>>
>>66269774
Who did it influence directly aside from other who gives a shit bands like Rodan and June of 44?
>>
Achtung baby u2
>>
>>66268058
Loveless, without a doubt.
>>
Laughing Stock >>> Everything else
>>
>>66268675
this
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 75x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 75x125
>>66268868
>YIS
>not equal to Laughing Stock and Loveless
>>
File: laughing stock.jpg (225 KB, 919x919) Image search: [Google]
laughing stock.jpg
225 KB, 919x919
>>
>>66268058
Spiderland takes it for me.

Nevermind has a nice argument from a mainstream influence perspective but really it doesn't have much going for it from a songwriting perspective.

Loveless is fantastic for sure. It's surprisingly very well composed with a lot of guitars making a wall of sound, but each section has definition, making a Wall Of Sound approach that's more sophisticated like Brian Wilson's than a more simpler one like Phil Spector's that most other shoegaze bands chased.

But Spiderland, is for me the best of the three. Among these three albums it takes the most unique approach that's honestly kinda hard to explain. The way it builds its atmosphere is really similar to what Joy Division initially did on Unknown Pleasures where it's mostly simple stuff but each part of the music is done in a very exacting way to build said atmosphere. So not only did the band did a fantastic job here, Albini is 100000x justified in saying that Paulson did a god tier job in getting the most out of every single bit of music.

It's easy to make catchy tunes for good music like Nevermind. Thanks to all the classical music that has existed for centuries making a layered work like Loveless isn't easy, but still something workable towards through hard work and often is how everything from Beatles and Beach Boys to MVB and Radiohead get love. But what Spiderland did is VERY tough to imitate (hell even the Slint imitator bands nor other Slint albums sound like Spiderland.)
>>
>>66269624
Overrated trash like the rest of their discography
>>
>>66268089
>>66268675
One of deez. Bandwagonesque is great.
>>
>>66268058
Low End Theory
>>
>>66268868
>Nevermind
>6/10
Son
>>
>nirvana anything
>masterpiece
Lmao.
>>
>>66271224
Nah but it's a top tier hard rock album
>>
>Loveless
>Laughing Stock
>Spiderland
>Screamadelica
>Nevermind
>Ten
>Blood Sugar Sex Magik
>The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
>The Low End Theory

guys... was 1991 the best year for music ever?
>>
>>66271294
>liking Pearl Jam
>liking le Red Hot Sexy Alternative Funk Band of Memphis featuring MC Kiedis
>>
>>66271337
not the one you're responding to, but fuck yeah
>>
>>66270856
Bleach was pretty great
>>
>>66271337
never said i liked them mate, but a lot of people do and they're both considered classics at this point and probably each band's best album... also you didn't answer my question ya dingus
>>
>>66269677
>influence = quality
Firstly, this logic surpasses any form of critique and musical evaluation of the actual music in favour of cultural significance. Sure, Elvis Presley was culturally significant in popularising rock-n-roll and changing the sexual landscape of America and popular music, but that doesn't make his music a spectacle. It's also incorrect to label Spiderland as uninfluential when it directly influenced second-wave post rock bands like Mogwai and GY!BE.
Also, saying that no one gives a shit about Spiderland is ridiculous when artists like PJ Harvey and Pavement have cited the album as one of their favourites and is universally adored by critics.
>>
>>66268675
>>66270377
these +Loveless
>>
>>66271294
2000 begs to differ
>>
>>66271725
>Kid A
>Stankonia
>The Moon & Antarctica
>Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
>Rated R
>Since I Left You
>Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
>The Noise Made By People

shit son... you're probably right
>>
>>66271867
1991 is still better
>>
>>66271867
swap stankonia for deltron 3030
>>
>>66268726
>>66268120
WEEN is Unclerock trash though
>>
File: Cover.jpg (863 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
863 KB, 1000x1000
Laughing Stock and Screamadelica are miles better than anything in the OP

This album was good too.
>>
Loveless obviously, it's the only one of the three that is actually good

Nevermind is mediocrity incarnate and Spiderland is fucking godawful boring trash
>>
can't decide between laughing stock and loveless
>>
>mfw no one has mentioned jesus lizard
>>
File: po7E6pX.jpg (49 KB, 413x380) Image search: [Google]
po7E6pX.jpg
49 KB, 413x380
>>66268058
>nevermind
>>
>>66272300
nobody seems to remember Goat which is a damn shame. one of the best Albini produced albums
>>
>>66272280
That's a no brainer

Laughing Stock is boring trash
>>
>>66272423
subtle =/= boring
>>
>>66272463
Laughing Stock isn't subtle though, it's just boring trash

There isn't a single interesting or original idea on that record
>>
>>66272536
>There isn't a single interesting or original idea on that record
Wasn't this on a Spiderland thread a couple days ago? New meme?
>>
>>66272564
No, that was also me. I have the same opinion of both albums seeing as they are both complete garbage
>>
>>66270718
props for writing out a thoughtful response
loveless is still superior i m o but i feel u
>>
>>66272594
You have yet to explain in a coherent argument what was so boring about Spiderland.
Do so with Laughing Stock too.
>>
>>66272536
well that's just, like, your opinion, man. to me a song like After the Flood feels like watching the sun rise after having a near death experience and birds start to wake up and fly overhead, and you realize life is way more precious than you had ever imagined... but to each their own friend
>>
>>66272606
I don't need to argue that Spiderland is boring beyond that fact that I listened to it and was fucking bored out of my mind
>>
>>66272725
Ok so since you don't have an actual argument as to why either album is boring, I can safely write you off as a shitposter with worthless opinions. Cool, glad we got this figured out.
>>
>>66272738
I'm not that anon, I'm a different guy
I listened to Spiderland, was bored, and therefore that album was boring to me
It's music, it's subjective, if it made me feel a certain way then that's my reaction and I can't control that.
>>
>>66268058
I'd say Spiderland because nothing else quite like it has come since

>>66268089
Bandwagonesque isn't what I'd call a "masterpiece"
>>
>>66272606
I listened to both albums and neither one provided a single moment which was memorable or interesting to me in any way. I had no reason to look fondly on the time I spent with either album and no reason to ever return to either one.

I don't know why all you dudes get so triggered by this. You sit and whine about how I'm bit explaining what is boring, which doesn't make any fucking sense - the music bores me, it does not excite, please, or challenge me in any way at all, and there's no "deeper explanation" to provide. You autists just get completely bootyblasted when someone doesn't like what you like.
>>
Loveless, easily.
>>
>>66272776
All I'm asking (and have asked in the previous thread) is that he explains to me what about the music he finds boring. Yes, I can call an album boring but it's a loaded statement that needs to be backed up by my subjective opinions on what I think makes the album not enjoyable. That's called making a cohesive argument and what everyone on this board should do when they're saying "X is boring trash" so they don't seem like shitposters that are just saying things to get a rise out of people.
>>
>>66272816
Honestly most kids on /mu/ think something must be deep and arty if it's boring as shit.
>>
>>66272857
>explains to me what about the music he finds boring
All of it. The whole package. The entire arrangement of sounds. Why is this so hard for you spergs to understand? Are you that incapable of tolerating dissent? Are you so insecure that if someone claims not to like what you like it triggers an opposition reflex?
>>
>>66272857
this right here. it's too easy to just say "i got bored when i listened to it so it's boring". if you can't explain WHY something was boring beyond "nothing that happened was exciting or interesting to me" (which is basically just repeating the fact it was boring, but in reverse) your opinion doesn't matter
>>
spiderland>loveless>nevermind
>>
>>66268058

1991 also saw the releases of

Pearl Jam - Ten
Metallica - Metallica (Black Album)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

>fucking Slint in the top 3
>>
>>66272949
Are you fucking retarded? If someone says something was boring, there is no deeper argument to be made. They found it boring. That was their impression. If they had anything further to say about it at all, they wouldn't have been bored by it.

I think you're just unable to handle it when someone doesn't like what you like. You find it inconceivable that someone could have no substantial reaction to something you hold dear, so you start to foam at the mouth and demand something that is logically impossible to provide, i.e. reasons why the bored person was bored.
>>
>>66272949
How do you explain why it was boring? It was boring because it's repetitive and long-winded and monotonous.
Seriously why is it a huge deal that I don't like fucking Spiderland? Are you listening to it cause mu/ said it was cool and arty?
>>
>>66272938
cite specific songs, and the parts of the songs you didn't like, and how they were boring. all you're saying is "the whole thing is boring" without demonstrating any knowledge of what the albums were about, or providing any insight into it. from everything you've said it doesn't sound like you've even listened to it. if you can't even name a song off an album you don't deserve to share your opinion on it
>>
>>66271489

Nobody gives a flying fuck about second-wave post rock. Nobody.
>>
>>66272938
I personally don't mind it if someone ends up not liking an album I like as long as they provide good reasons as to why they don't like it. Actually it's a rewarding experience to hear criticisms of music you like because it forces you to re-evaluate your position and perhaps find different ways of enjoying the music.

"It's boring trash" is not an argument.
"The washed out guitars, lack of real emotion, and monotone vocals make the album boring trash" is an argument.
>>
>>66272949
Please provide a clear example of what you would accept as proper justification for calling something boring.
>>
>greatest album of all time vs innovative production and shitty songwriting vs poprock album no. 817262

Gee I dunno
>>
>>66273051
Okay things I didn't like about the album
>the whole fucking thing
Why I didn't like it
>because it's a fucking snorefest
>>
>>66273058
see >>66273056
>>
>>66273051
Why the living fuck would I remember specific sections or song names from an album I listened to years ago that bored the shit out of me? Do you typically take care to memorize details of works that do not hold your interest whatsoever just so you can satisfy some 4chan autist's inane criteria on what constitutes a worthwhile opinion? Fuck off with that nonsense. You're literally creating illogical standards that nobody will live up to just so you can dismiss dissenting opinions.
>>
>>66273103
very well thought out and detailed analysis friend. you're a master of the english language and providing multiple arguments to back up your claims. kudos to you. you've convinced me of your opinions 100% and i wish you the best in life and hope we get to hang out sometime
>>
>>66273140
you can't truly know something unless you immerse yourself in it. listening to something once and deciding "hm that was boring i'm never gonna think about it again" isn't the same as forming an objective opinion on it. you didn't give it a chance. that's like playing chess once, losing, and saying "well fuck that game, why would anybody ever play this?"
>>
>>66273056
OK then
Songs I didn't like on spiderland
>Breadcrumb Trail
>Nosferatu Man
>Don, Aman
>Washer
>For Dinner...
>Good Morning Captain
Sections of the album I didn't like
>0:00 to 40:00
>>
>>66273056
Okay then.

The washed-out guitars, monotone vocals, and lack of real emotion on laughing stock make it boring trash.

The tinny, gutless guitars, monotone vocals, and lack of real emotion on spiderland make it boring trash.

Are you happy now, you autistic fuck? Have I expressed my opinion up to your goddamned srandards now?
>>
>>66273215
nope you stole that opinion mate. formulate your own
>>
File: 1468028167506.jpg (41 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
1468028167506.jpg
41 KB, 300x301
>>66273205
>trying to force yourself to like acclaimed music just because it's acclaimed
>>
The real question is was Nevermind or Siamese Dream better?
>>
>>66273152
Thanks I really tried
>>
>>66273215
Copying my words aside, if you originally posted that I would have been satisfied and would not have egged you on. Because it shows that you actually engaged with the music. I mean I disagree, but that's not here nor there.

Honestly, if you don't engage with the music and contribute to meaningful music discussion, why are you even on this board?
>>
>>66273205
What kind of nonsense are you trying to push? If something bores the fuck out of me why would I waste precious mortality banging my head against it? If I play chess and it isn't fun or enjoyable to me in any way at all, win or lose, how am I in the wrong for choosing not to revisit it?

The truth is that you can't handle dissent, so you're creating a ridiculous and irrational set of standards for negative criticism so that you can feel justified in dismissing people who don't like what you like.

Talk Talk and Slint bore me to tears. No, I won't waste my time revisiting things that don't interest me in any way whatsoever. Deal with it.
>>
>>66273253
Nevermind

easily
>>
>>66273235
>Jump through more hoops
Nah we're done. I don't indulge trolls.
>>
>>66273299
i'm trying to push the fact that the best things in life require patience and dedication, which isn't nonsense
>>
>>66273275
>If something bores you you didn't engage with it
Literally what the holy fuck are you babbling about

We are done here
>>
>>66273253
The real question is Nevermind vs Gish
>>66273309
Gish was better
>>
>>66273353
Gonna go out on a limb and say that something that bores the living fuck out of me is not going to turn out to be one of the best things in life for me.

You should look inward and figure out what it is about yourself that makes you so incapable of accepting differing opinions.

Have a good night.
>>
>>66273398
I'd advise you to do the same since you did the exact same thing for like the past 30 minutes. Sweet dreams friendo.
>>
>>66273360
I'm not saying that if something bores you, you didn't engage with it. Literally all I'm asking is that if you find something boring you try and figure out what it is that's boring. It could honestly help cultivate your taste in music as you have a firm grasp of what you do and do not like.

And to address >>66273299, if you don't want to revisit an album that's absolutely your choice and I have zero problems with that.

And yeah fuck this conversation we're done.
>>
>>66273428
he wasn't doing the same thing at all though, he gave his opinion and you and the other guy attacked him for it
>>
>>66273528
Other guy here, I literally don't care if someone likes Spiderland or not. I'm just sick of people shouting loaded opinions and not backing them up.

If someone said "Spiderland is literally the best album ever" I would've done the same thing.
>>
>>66273253
Superunknown
>>
>>66273566
you'll forgive me if I find that hard to believe. its just human nature to take more issue with viewpoints we dont share than with ones we do
>>
>>66273688
I understand. Realistically though, if anyone praises any album on here, he immediately gets shit on by like 5 other people so I don't have to do anything.
>>
>>66272594
I remember you, you're retarded man I'm sorry
>>
>>66268058

Nevermind is the only good one out of those three. Made by a true artist.

Loveless is unlistenable...it's boring as shit.
>>
>>66268089
Screamadelica is better than Loveless.
>>
>>66271489

Critics are dum.
>>
File: 1464388526221.jpg (54 KB, 419x368) Image search: [Google]
1464388526221.jpg
54 KB, 419x368
>>66274709
>>
>>66274709
you need to listen to Loveless while on MDMA and with a girl you're in love with... it will be the best thing you experience. i promise
>>
>>66274749

pffffft. I've made out with a girl I loved listening to Loveless...it's a boring album. It's not for me.

Sometimes is a good track...but honestly...
>>
>>66274787
Sometimes is one of the more boring tracks on the album imo. The rest is pretty exciting stuff, just not in a death metal brand of exciting.
>>
>>66274787
>It's a boring album
Invalid criticism, I'm sorry anon but you cant have that opinion
>>
>>66274845

nah....all the ambient shit is.It's the only song that has a feeling...and there is Only Shallow is ok...I dunno I DGAF about this album.

It's not for me. I love Nevermind I still listen to it.

I'll listen to Achtung Baby over Loveless anyday.

Feed Me With Your Kiss is the best MBV song.
>>
>>
>>66274955

lol my opinion is that I find it boring.

Psychocandy is a million times better than Loveless

JAMC understand Pop. Pop is the highest form of art.

MBV is the indie Yngwie Malmsteen.
>>
>>66274986
I think She Found Now off mbv is essentially Sometimes done right. Has the same ambient wall of sound but builds to a climax so much more effectively by adding these sparkles of guitar that grow in intensity.

Personally I think To Here Knows When is the best MBV song but Feed Me With Your Kiss is 10/10 too.
>>
>>66275019
>Psychocandy is a million times better than Loveless
>Pop is the highest form of art
Mind elaborating?
>>
>>66275019
You haven't explained why you think it's boring therefore your opinion is invalid

I'm sorry anon but those are the rules around here :(
>>
>>66275019
Ignore him, he's just asspained from earlier in the thread
>>
>>66275095
I wasn't here earlier in the thread silly anon :^) I am just enforcing the rules that were laid down before I arrived and read the thread
>>
>>66275143
Ah I see, so you were enforcing Global Rule 6 and making sure the quality of posts on /mu/ stay meaningful and informative! Thanks anon!
>>
>>66275178
Exactly :) And as we know "it's boring" is a violation of this rule
>>
>>66268058
Lol three albums and you still totally missed the two best releases of 1991.
>>
>>66275011
my negro
>>
>>66268809
This is the correct answer
>>
>>66270718
unironically good post, i agree
>>
File: 1243254235.png (340 KB, 800x422) Image search: [Google]
1243254235.png
340 KB, 800x422
>no Gang Starr - Step in the Arena
>>
>>66275019
Honey's Dead is very overlooked and its arguably better than Psychocandy
>>
>>66271931
'69 biotch
>>
>>66270377
Ye boi, dubs confirm
>>
>>66268102
>Several artists

Laughing Stock influenced an entire generation
>>
>>66278584
le nigger music isn't real music maymay
>>
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 225x225
This
>>
>>66269815
14 hours late but literally every band after them considered post-rock.
>>
>>66272183
This, Loveless is a true work of genius, there is no comparison.
>>
i cant believe so many people dont realise spiderland is one of the best and most important rock albums there is
>>
File: folder.jpg (175 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
175 KB, 1000x1000
>no Massive Attack
>>
>>66281449
>>66282150
>>66282222
Rock is shit.
>>
>>66282261
elaborate
>>
>>66282261
this
damn plebs limiting themselves to guitar instrumentation
>>
>>66282309
this has been debunked 200 times over. Especially when putting it against electronic music, which i dearly love but that is based on the same soundwaves every time.
>>
You guys that denounce nevermind so hard ignore what it is in cultural context. They bridged gaps between underground scenes like hardcore punk, grunge with big commercial 80's shit like heavy metal, pop and made ridiculous crossover success. Even if it mooched off of the melvins, pixies, dead kennedys or replacements' ideas it also exposed those bands to people who never wouldve heard them otherwise. I think laughing stock is better musically but you cant deny that nvm is massively influential to how music has been since. At least a 7/10
>>
>>66282371
>debunked 200 times over.
[citation needed]
>>
c;mon folks
>>
>>66282420
Influence=\=quality
>>
>>66268644
you accidentally put loveless ahead of nevermind
>>
>>66283273
your opinion=\=matters
>>
>>66272131
The Boognish is not pleased by people like you
>>
>>66282420
>exposing hardcore punk
>a good thing
Fucking kek. I'd be totally fine without all this shitty teenage ScrEmo garbage, my dude.
>>
>>66272776
geT tHe FUUUUCK bAck to http://www.reddit.com YoU plEb little shit

Your shitty subjectivism is worthless in this board. You're not here to discuss music, just to state your garbage opinions and expect people to circlejerk over them because "music is subjective and all opinions are right!"
>>
>>66273253
Siamese Dream, objectively. It's not even close. Better production, more consistent, actually has an atmosphere, better, more varied songwriting, technically more complex, more original, better tones.
>>
>>66283583
literal fact=\=my opinion
>>
>>66283697
>aggressive response to a 14-hour-old post
imagine being this mad
>>
>>66281359

and nevermind did too and its still inspiring generations of disassociated youths to this day
>>
>>66271294
It's definitely up there with 1969, 1972, and 2000.
>>
>>66268644
objectively correct tbqqqqqh
>>
File: Metallica-The-Black-Album.jpg (137 KB, 1150x1150) Image search: [Google]
Metallica-The-Black-Album.jpg
137 KB, 1150x1150
>>
>>66268644
dubs confirm
>>
>>66272998
all 3 of them are 5/10's at best
>>
File: images.jpg (31 KB, 387x380) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
31 KB, 387x380
The only real answer.
>>
>>66281433
It's on par with Nevermind.
>>
>>66269677
fucking commit suicide
>>
>>66283826
Inspiring them to be lank haired filthy plebs tho
>>
>>66268120
agreed
>>
File: R-1926-1230814004.jpeg.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-1926-1230814004.jpeg.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
>>
>>66268058
Loveless.

Nevermind was good, but not groundbreaking. Spiderland is babby's first noise rock/post rock album.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.