[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell is the point of Yum-Yab Killers? It's not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 500x441
What the hell is the point of Yum-Yab Killers? It's not even inherently bad, but what's the point of recording it live? And even if it wasn't live, it still wouldn't mesh well with the sound of the rest of the record.
>>
>>66253049
That's the point.
>>
>>66253049
I also dislike it, but because of female vocals.
>>
>>66253152
It's supposed to be an incohesive mess?
>>
>>66253274
It's supposed to be incohesive in a sense, like most soundtracks aren't cohesive. Also, the reason it's a live version is because it wasn't originally a Swans track but a Jarobe solo track that was already recorded for one of her albums.
>>
The Final Sacrifice and YRP2 are also live IIRC. I agree with >>66253457, Soundtracks isn't meant to be cohesive, more like a jumble of stuff in the same mood. Anyway, it's a 10/10.
>>
>he doesn't love when bands put live recordings onto their albums
i didn't know this caliber of pleb existed
>>
Take out every Jarboe track and it'd be a 10/10.
>>
>>66253556
>implying volcano isn't god-tier
>implying yrp2 isn't completely necessary
>not being nice to jarboe
>>
>>66253556
I think the Jarboe tracks are some of the best my man

I love Volcano and Yum-Yab
>>
>>66253049
The whole album is made up of stuff that was recorded at different times, live and in the studio.
>>
>>66253556
Apologize
>>
>>66253593
So, shouldn't it be considered a compilation album?
>>
>>66253613
No, because they released it as a unified work
>>
sftb is a perfect album as is, but how would you narrow it down to make it more perfect

>prisoner in your skull
>helpless child
>live through me
>the beautiful days
>volcano
>how they suffer
>animus
>the sound
>her mouth is filled with honey
>minus something
>empathy
>i love you this much
>yrp
>the final sacrifice
>yrp2

>>66253613
no, because they released it as an album
albums dont have to be recorded in the same sessions
also its their best album
>>
>>66253628
So did Kendrick with untitled unmastered and that's considered a compilation album.
>>
>>66253613
It should but much like everything else Gira does (like blatant Rape) /mu/ will justify it as they're insecure boys.
>>
>>66253642
Except that isn't a unified work, it's outtakes that Kendrick didn't include on TPAB because it didn't fit in with that unified work.
>>
H
>>
>>66253642
>>66253660
are you fucking stupid
sftb is an experimental mix of different unreleased recordings from different times put together in order to create a singular piece, why the fuck should it have to be relegated to the role of compilation
>>
>>66253642
I don't listen to him and don't know anything about that album so I can't comment on that

That being said, they released it under the framework of being one piece of art, an album; rather than a presentation of separate unrelated pieces of art.

Also, it's not just that some tracks are from different times. Some tracks are made up of elements that were recorded at different times.

>So, in some things, there's something from 1981 playing simultaneously with something from '85 playing simultaneously with something from 1996. It's cross-faded and blended and mixed so to speak in the computer, cut-up and sometimes looped and reversed
>>
>>66253641
All Lined Up needs to stay. Apart from that, the tracks you left out are the ones I seem to have issues with.
>>
>>66253678
yeah, all lined up was the closest one to almost staying in
i'm not sure if i prefer the sftb or swans are dead version though
>>
>>66253671
kys
>>
>>66253678
>>66253693
Just to note, All Lined Up was a re-recording of a Gira solo track. If I really had to strip SftB down to 1 album (which I don't) is get rid of it for that reason.
>>
>>66253672
Ugh yeah use yr microagressions to prove your point, I know that works elsewhere in yr life but know that it doesn't make you right, k?
>>
>>66253673
Okay, I see what you're saying. That's pretty cool actually.
>>
>>66253714
I'd, not is
I suck at typing
>>
>>66253049
I think the general theme of Soundtracks in a nutshell, is mental illness, With each track exploring the experiences and emotions of a variety of mental illnesses/disorders. I think Yum-Yab killers is supossed to represent psychopathy, or the desire for murder/violence.
>>
>>66253732
>I think the general theme of Soundtracks in a nutshell, is mental illness
also mommy issues
>>
>>66253789
If you are basing that purely off of, "Helpless Child". Then, I disagree because I believe it's a metaphor for the relationship of a mentally ill person and society.
>>
>>66253812
no, there's a lot of references to "mother" throughout the album
>>
>>66253839
Well yes, but I think that metaphor stays consistent throughout the album.
>>
>>66253839
I count two songs where the word, "Mother" is mentioned.
>>
>>66253505
>he """likes""" Don't Look Now
>>
Shit, I kind of like Yum-Yab, I even like Jarboe on it. It's Volcano I can't stand.
>>
>>66254170
weird taste
yum-yab is pretty good, but volcano is one of the best tracks
>>
Tell me if I'm right or wrong. But cut these songs out of SFTB and you're left with a better album

>Live Through Me
>Yum-Yab
>Volcano
>Blood Section
>Hypogirl
>Fan's Lament
>YRP 2
>Surrogate Drone
>>
>>66254276
I wholesomely disagree
>>
I unironically thought Annie Clark sang the first part of Volcano when I first listened to the album (wasn't familiar with when it came out) and I knew she had worked with Swans on TBK.
>>
I think YRP may be the best thing Jarboe has contributed to band. This reworked version of the track is fucking amazing and contributes a ton to the album. I way, way prefer it over the original Cop version.
>>
>>66254276
Live Through Me, Volcano, Blood Section, Fan's Lament are all great

Yum-Yab and Hypogirl are the two I actually dislike, and maybe YRP 2
>>
>>66253593
>>66253613
it's a concrete music album
>>
>>66254276
I only agree on Blood Section, Hypogirl and Fan's Lament
also Live Through Me is amazing
>>
Never heard the studio version of this track until now. I prefer the STFTB version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIOokQrF6Z8
>>
>>66254276
>>66254673
Most of those tracks are great though
>>
>>66254276
Fuck off.
>>
>>66253049
Pleb.
>>
>>66253732
cool idea

thanks anon i'll listen to it again with this in mind
>>
>>66253049
>>66253152
>>66253274
>>66253457
I have explained why stuff like Yum Yab is in the album multiple times to the people of this board, and I'm just tired...
>>
The Great Annihilator is better.
>>
>>66256984
Could you please point me to any of these several posts in the archive? Keywords to look for? Thanks :)
>>
>>66257364
There's a couple of Soundtracks threads but I'll summarize.

Soundtracks isn't a concept album, it's a mish mash of things they put together with leftover tapes and songs they were working on during the 95 TGA era.

Gira was influenced by Krautrock, so eclecticism, and not cohesion was the aim, the live version of Yum Yab was thrown in because it was jarring and had a punk rock vibe to it.

It isn't much of an album, it's scraps of things thrown together for their fans as a farewell gesture, there wasn't nearly as much to it as /mu/ reads into it.
>>
File: 825.jpg (33 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
825.jpg
33 KB, 624x352
>>66254276
>Surrogate Drone
Why would you ever take that out
>>
>>66257421
>It isn't much of an album, it's scraps of things thrown together for their fans as a farewell gesture, there wasn't nearly as much to it as /mu/ reads into it.
and yet it's still the best thing they've ever done by a mile
>>
>>66257421
>Gira was influenced by Krautrock, so eclecticism, and not cohesion was the aim
>It isn't much of an album, it's scraps of things thrown together for their fans as a farewell gesture

Pick 1? You can't claim it's "scraps of things thrown together" implying it's some random collection while also asserting Gira sought eclecticism and that's for instance why he picked a live version of Yum Yab. It's deliberately eclectic for sure, but that doesn't mean it's like 'lol random bye bye compilation for the kiddies!'

>there wasn't nearly as much to it as /mu/ reads into it.

I sort of agree but perhaps you're a bit too extreme in your analysis as a reaction to this, to balance things out.
>>
>>66254276
Yikes!
>>
ITT: embryos
>>
>>66257498
>and yet it's still the best thing they've ever done by a mile
I don't think so. I think New Mother is the best album Gira has done, and I think Jarboe's tracks for The Great Annihilator were much better than the ones she put on Soundtracks.

>>66257502
>Pick 1? You can't claim it's "scraps of things thrown together" implying it's some random collection while also asserting Gira sought eclecticism and that's for instance why he picked a live version of Yum Yab. It's deliberately eclectic for sure, but that doesn't mean it's like 'lol random bye bye compilation for the kiddies!'

Soundtracks was made of leftover material and things that mutated out of the The Great Annihilator era, some of the post-rock songs are the actual songs, and there's a lot of experimental filler to it, but that filler was constructed in such a way to make an album out of it.

The thing about albums in the context of bands is that it tends to focus attention from listeners only within the album itself and not all the other stuff that was put out by the musicians during that era.

The Great Annihilator, Drainland, Sacrificial Cake, and Soundtracks were all recorded during roughly the same time period within 1-2 years of each other. I don't see either of them as being separate.
>>
File: weeew.jpg (60 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
weeew.jpg
60 KB, 640x640
>>66253641
>removing Red Velvet Corridor
>>
>>66253732
That's a really good idea. I'll give it one more listen with that in mind.

>>66254276
>cutting out Volcano and Surrogate Drone

>>66257083
Pleb.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.