[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a guy who works at a record store anything. Pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: VDC.jpg (479 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
VDC.jpg
479 KB, 1200x1200
Ask a guy who works at a record store anything.

Pic related, my favorite album.
>>
why work retail instead of a real mans job
>>
Stop viralling this shitty album.
>>
>>66251138
In college, not enough time to start a career. Plus, it's what I love and I make enough money to sustain myself.
>>
>>66251122
do you ever have conversations about music with people, or are the majority of the customers crosley people?
>>
>>66251148
That album is over a decade old, you retard.
>>
>>66251148
I hope someone eventually fucks you in the mouth.
>>
do you have unbearably pretentious coworkers who only like obscure music
>>
How often do qt's come in?
How are your co-workers?
What's played in the store?
Do you have good conversations with people?
Tell us all about the pretentious people and plebs.
>>
>>66251171
>>66251173
Go to bed, Sweet Trip
>>
>>66251159
It's in a very touristy place, so mostly crosley teenage girls, and dadrock parents. Lots of people go "oh wooooow they put old albums on the vinyls?"

However, occasionally cool people come in and I do get to talk about music with them. I like to seek these people out.

>>66251190
Qts are everywhere, but usually dumb, slutty, henna-tattoo-searching tourists. Very very rarely cute ones. Coworkers are pretty cool. The owners and full-time employees are anyway, and have really good taste. Seasonal employees are trash tho. We play w/e we want in the store, usually try to only play things we sell when the bosses are around.

Multiple times a day I have to deal with the kind of people who lose their mind over the new lumineers album and talk to me about how they "collect cool vinyls"
>>
>>66251240
Are you somewhere in Europe? If so, are the dumb tourists usually American?
>>
>>66251261
I'm not. I'm by the beach in the US. However, sort of related to your question, some of my favorite customers to talk to have been European or from very far away, like across the country.
>>
>>66251122
Sweet double dubs bruh. Anyway how many days in advance do you get the record store day shit?
>>
>>66251122
you just like the average guy from /mu/ except a little more experienced with working with music. don't why you think this is worthy AMA.

I guess i'll ask if the old man you probably work for is a cool guy and knows his shit?
>>
>>66251122
What was your most cringy customer?
>>
>>66251308
We get most everything pretty early. RSD shit probably a week or two in advance. I got the new Avalanches on vinyl even before it leaked.

>>66251315
I know this. I also know that every other average /mu/ guy would like to/thinks about working at a record store, because I did before I worked here. Just figured I'd let you guys live vicariously a little.

But yeah, he's okay. A little weird and overly forceful when trying to sell/show off shit. Makes some customers uncomfortable. However, his knowledge of music is pretty impressive. He's mostly knowledgeable about the kind of music that we sell a lot of (country, blues, jazz, funk, etc.) I think that myself and a few other employees are probably more knowledgeable about more alternative/indie/experimental types of music. Probably not nearly as much as some of the super partician/poser/whatever the fucks on this board.

>>66251354
So many of them. The worst is the bowl cut teenagers who take our ukuleles/guitars down from the walls and try to play LOUDLY and can't play anything worth a shit, and just piss everyone around them off.
>>
>>66251122
Any stories with pretentious customers?
>>
>>66251456
I genuinely wish I had MORE pretentious customers. I have never met a customer with better/more obscure/sophisticated taste than myself or another guy I work with, and I don't even have very interesting or amazing taste.
>>
>>66251385
That's awesome you get that stuff that early. I'd hv told everybody they miscounted and stock is one short on that twin peaks xiu xiu album.
I'll bet you deal with a lot of fuckheads but I'm sure talking with people who are really into it is great.

What albums do you pick when you get control of the tunes and there is no boss? I worked at a hippie goods/pipe shop for a little while and a majority of the coworkers hated days when I got run the music bc it was never crunchy phish jam band shit. Actually got a few nods from customers and I think playing loveless when an owner was there got me moved way up ranks.
>>
>>66251497
cause no patrician is going to buy music
>>
File: The best shit ive ever heard.jpg (197 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
The best shit ive ever heard.jpg
197 KB, 1000x1000
>>66251540
I played Stratosphere one night when I was bored and it was late and it was just me and another cool guy. He dug it, most people that come in don't really pay attention to the music much at all unless it's very upbeat and instantly ear-catching. Also, I play pic related since it's summer and it all has a very summery psychedelic vibe to it. I impressed the owner once having a conversation with him about Galaxie 500 and Dean Wareheim's other stuff (Luna, Dean/Britta). To weird annoying customers out and make them leave I play Oneohtrix Point Never or Dan Deacon or something like that.
>>
>>66251603
Haha that's cool man. The day Gucci got put in the fed I played his albums all day. Little hippy boys and girls buying insense, Birkenstocks and tie die shirts to the trap god then get checked out by me wearing a black T shirt and boots tell them to free Gucci.
>>
>>66251122
Do you have any copies of "I'm beside you" by RHCP ?
>>
>>66252533
Nope, probably had like 1 or 2 on that record store day. Shit like that goes quick.
>>
how did you get the job?
>>
>>66251148
I loved this album way before /mu/ started to get really into it lately (which I don't blame you guys, it's great). So funny that, because of its popularity, we start getting contrarian posts like this.
>>
>>66251603
Dan Deacon makes customers leave rly? OPN I can get but damn I always thought Dan Deacon was so fun and upbeat it balanced the perceived "weirdness" for normies.
>>
>>66251122
How hard was getting the job/How did you get the job?
>>
>>66251122
How often do you consider suicide?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.