[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Syd Barrett died 10 years ago....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-07-07 at 5.48.17 AM.png (242 KB, 848x426) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-07 at 5.48.17 AM.png
242 KB, 848x426
realtalk: Pink Floyd never would have produced anything interesting if Syd had stayed in the band.
>>
>>66229126
prove it
>>
Syd died decades ago, all that was left was Roger
>>
So, you didn't like Saucer Full of Secrets, The Madcap Laughs, Barrett, or Opel? Or even The Best of Pink Floyd aka Masters of Rock?
>>
speaking as someone who clearly hasn't listened to syd's solo career. more talent than everyone else in floyd combined.
>>
>>66229142

His solo output is never mentioned.
>>
>>66229126
listen to juggband blues and say that
>>
>>66229276
How about Terrapin, No Use Trying, or Octopus as three fine examples of his solo material? Great stuff.
>>
Pretty much. I was a big fan years ago in high school, but at some point I just lost all interest in listening to his music. I don't expect interest to ever return, either.
>>
>10 years ago
shit man, I feel old...
>>
>>66229126
I think you meant Pink Floyd never produced anything interesting after Syd left
If you find 2nd rate dad rock interesting you should grow up
>>
>>66230001
>he doesn't like a saucerful of secrets
maximum plebage
>>
>>66229274
The Madcap Laughs and Barrett are better than Pink Floyds discography combined minus s/t IMO
>>
>>66229274
Madcap Laughs is a cult classic.
>>
>>66229274
Just because you've never heard any discussion of it because you're a fucking newfag, that doesn't mean that nobody talks about it.
>>
>>66230986
>cult classic

this is shorthand for "terrible shit posers pretend to enjoy either ironically of just for the sheer fuckery of it", it doesn't mean "good" in any way
>>
>>66230034
saucerful although not written by syd is basically long type syd songs written by waters. Im talking about Set the controlls, let there be more light and saucerful of secrets. Although Wright wrote 2 excellent songs, 70% of that album is still syd
>>
>>66231101
have u ever heard it tho, if not i recommend it to u :)
>>
>>66231195
Of course I have, I just hate the term "cult classic" as it has lost all meaning for reasons I mentioned previously
>>
>>66230950
>The Madcap Laughs and Barrett are better than Pink Floyds discography combined minus s/t IMO
Pink Floyd does not have a self-titled album.
>>
>>66230001
it's completely unjustifiable to write pink floyd's post-barrett discography as dadrock
>>
Are there any Pink Floyd fans who like both Syd and post-Syd Floyd?

I love Piper and Saucerful, but the 70s albums are classic too. Why do people take such extreme positions?

And can we all agree that post-Waters Floyd was trash? High Hopes is ace though.
>>
>>66231284
It's accurate. No actually Granddad Rock is more of an apt description.
>>
>>66231409
>70s
>granddad
you underage piece of shit get the fuck out, summer is in full force
>>
>>66231168
>1 Song, plus slide guitar on another
>70%

>70%

Nah
>>
>>66231455
I don't care if you DID get dubs chances are I'm much older than you and everybody in MY generation that still listen to Pink Floyd with or w/o Syd ARE grand parents.
>>
>>66231507
>saucerful although not written by syd is basically long type syd songs written by waters
I already cleared that out. If Saucerful sounds like dsotm more than piper then waters would be the definitive writter of those songs. But thats bullshit and he tried to make syd musik. Not to mention the guitars are the same as in piper's astronomy domine, interstellar overdrive and pow r toc h
>>
File: johndoessyd.jpg (70 KB, 327x669) Image search: [Google]
johndoessyd.jpg
70 KB, 327x669
10 years ago a friend of mine went to see Red Hot Chili Peppers perform in Manchester when John Frusciante was still playing with them. He recalls a numinous moment when John made a dedication to Syd Barrett around the time of his death.

I was only wee when this happened, but can appreciate it on a whole new level now.
>>
>>66231691
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7rLvXt4xYA
>>
>>66231621
>But thats bullshit and he tried to make syd musik

He didn't try to make syd music, that was just his style at the time, the next couple of albums show that, More and Ummagumma
>>
>>66229274
that's totally untrue

his solo albums are very well respected and they are discussed all the time
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.