[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who were the edgelords prior to the goth aesthetic becoming a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: goth-teens.png (205 KB, 282x400) Image search: [Google]
goth-teens.png
205 KB, 282x400
Who were the edgelords prior to the goth aesthetic becoming a thing? Did edgelords just not exist prior to the 1980s?

What did edgy teenagers in the 1940s dress like and what music did they listen to?
>>
skinheads
>>
>>66213702
edgy teens didnt exist until the hippy shit in the 60s
>>
beatniks
>>
>>66213702
Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatnik

Have fun.
>>
>>66213702
Punks
>>
>>66213702
my dad would get shit for wearing black sabbath/blue oyster cult tshirts and listening to the albums in the early 70s

>>66213744
this though
>>
>>66213702
They're looking too old for being teens, IMO.
>>
>>66213702
Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esfKfTBGadg
>>
>>66213702
this isnt goth, its post-manson buttrock core
>>
File: theBeatniks.jpg (112 KB, 385x576) Image search: [Google]
theBeatniks.jpg
112 KB, 385x576
Pic related looks like fun, to be honest.
>>
hipsters, greasers, beatniks, bikers the list goes on..
>>
In the 1950's, being and edgelord required living an extreme lifestyle, sacrificing certain comforts, and becoming a shitty poet/ artist. In the 60s we had the "freak" subculture, with moderately successful Los Angelites dressing up like retards for the sake of art, followed by the hippies who did it more out of laziness than edginess.

Punk and Industrial came around in the late 70s, and while it was incredibly edgy the groups both required some integrity. Come the 80s and then we can see the poser "goffic" kid come to fruition.
>>
>>66213880
B-but bikers at least are thugs who fuck shit up for real. They aren't exactly edgelords.
>>
>>66213977
is there anything more edgy than fucking shit up for real?
>>
>>66213744
>who is Rimbaud
>>
File: spigot.png (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
spigot.png
18 KB, 500x500
RAPING OLD FRUIT THROUGH YOUR EYES IS SO MUCH FUN!
>>
>>66213744
o rly
>>
>>66214015
so should we should classify urban gang members and all fans of gangsta rap and trap edgelords?

if so, I have no objection
>>
>>66214015
Gangbangers of any sort make trouble because they simply enjoy it or don't know better. They certainly aren't pseudo-intellectual 'misanthropes'.
>>
>>66213976
Hey man, 80s Goths were alright.
But Hot Topic and mallgoths came in the 90s and everything went to shit.
>>
Is any Beat literature worth reading? I've been put off because Ginsberg was an open pedophile and pedophile rights activist.
>>
>>66214116
You've been there?
>>
>>66214075
yes we should

>>66214092
you're literally arguing against yourself here
if anything they're even edgier since they let their antisocial and narcissistic tendencies run wild
>>
>>66214117
No, it's all garbage. All literature is garbage.
>>
>>66214117
naked lunch is kewl
>>
>>66214117
Burroughs is legitimately fucking brilliant. Read his nova trilogy to see why.

Kerouac didn't do a lot for me personally, but I know plenty of intelligent and admirable people who swear by him so I'll give him benefit of the doubt

Ginsberg is actually a great poet
>>
>using the term "edgelords"

nu-male detected
>>
>>66214146
Bullshit. We're talking about "edgelords" here. OP brought up goths who definitely aren't known for their violent behaviour. An edgelord won't do shit. He just has an attitude that he considers "offensive" just for the sake of pissing off everybody else. After all, such a person isn't dangerous at all, just annoying at worst.
>>
>>66214075
They pretty much are, and at least the music is. Edgelords are pretty common at the end of the day, most of them just don't look like it.
>>
>>66214116
I'm sure 80's goths were fine, but they were the first group to have posers like they did, and the first to be chique to highschoolers.
>>
>>66214190
I tried reading Kerouac and it was boring as hell. I'm guessing that the Beat aesthetic has aged pretty poorly since it's been borrowed from so relentlessly ever since.
>>
>>66214260
we are essentially arguing semantics here, but I think you got it wrong. one of the first words people use to characterize harris and klebold here is "edgy", and they actually engaged in violent behavior
>>
>>66214263
>>66214075
>>66214146
Ah, I get it: You're trolling.
>>
>>66214398
i'm literally not
>>
>>66214260
This
>>
>>66214260
>>66214426
t. dudes who think their edgy idols aren't actual edgelords
>>
>>66214398
No, I'm not. Simply because you find them cool doesn't make them any less edgy. Tbh pop culture pretty much strives on being edgy and provocative so it's not really a bad thing. People always want "dangerous" sounding music. What's considered dangerous and provocative in music just changes every 10 years.
>>
>>66214616
this, most people are actual edgelords. the thing is there's a popular and a not so popular variant of edginess and you only get called out on your edgy behavior if you belong to the latter.
>>
>>66214075
>trap
>actually violent
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.