[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: albums by famous/acclaimed artists that don't get talked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
ITT: albums by famous/acclaimed artists that don't get talked about enough
>>
Just add the rest of Coltrane's discography that's not Giant Steps or A Love Supreme
>>
File: falloutaketh_09.jpg (712 KB, 800x720) Image search: [Google]
falloutaketh_09.jpg
712 KB, 800x720
>>
>>66212382
>>66212407
It seems that in jazz more than any other genre, musicians will have dozens of incredible albums under their belt and 1-3 are always circlejerked over to death while the others are completely ignored. I can't say why this is.
>>
File: Deftones-selftitled_albumcover.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Deftones-selftitled_albumcover.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>
File: onthecorner.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
onthecorner.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
Feels ahead of its time.
>>
File: cjepse-emotio_06.jpg (578 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
cjepse-emotio_06.jpg
578 KB, 1500x1500
>>
>>66212485
Because having a large body of work =/= having a large body of good work
>>
File: Low-The+Curtain+Hits+The+Cast.png (389 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Low-The+Curtain+Hits+The+Cast.png
389 KB, 500x500
way better than i could live in hope imo
>>
>>66212485
1. Those album stand out more in relation to their other work for whatever reason.

2. It's kind of hard to individually praise music by musicians that are extremely prolific.
>>
>>66212532
But this gets talked about a lot, friend!
>>
File: cover.jpg (59 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
59 KB, 600x600
>>66212382
speaking of jazz, Coleman's Beefheart-influenced phase
>>
>>66212554
Many jazz musicians make better music with age as their playing/composing skills improve while their older, less refined work is indefensibly praised because of the Young and Hungry meme started by rock critics. You have to remember that classical/jazz musicians practice and hone their craft constantly throughout their lives, more than any other genre by far because to become a merely good artist in those genres requires intense amounts of work ethic.
>>
>>66212762
That still doesn't mean that every release deserves praise

They can't all be bangers anon
>>
>>66212835
Doesn't mean they're devoid of any interest
>>
>>66213183
Why waste time discussing subpar work instead of the greats?
>>
>>66212485
That's because jazz musicians release hundreds of albums and people don't have time to listen to every single one, so they just listen to whatever the most acclaimed one is.
>>
>>66213227
the same reason you don't read only selected chapters of a book but the whole thing
also because you like music, but I know it's an option on this board so I won't go as far as assuming it is your case
>>
>>66213510
>comparing individual stand-alone albums to chapters in a book
This is the second brain-dead irredeemably fuckstupid analogy I've seen on /mu/ in the past twenty minutes.
>>
>>66212762
Most jazz musicians were so strung up on heroin the older they got that they didn't even know what the fuck they were playing.
>>
>>66213599
so you don't like music AND you're illiterate? must suck to be you lol
>>
>>66213714
This is embarrassing

I hope it's a troll
>>
>>66213774
kek @ your life bro
>>
>>66213714
albums can be enjoyed on their own as complete works without the need for other albums by the same artist

if you think the same thing is true of individual book chapters you are not very bright
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.