[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gg/ - Guitar General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: IMG_4410.jpg (608 KB, 2253x2837) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4410.jpg
608 KB, 2253x2837
Acoustic Appreciation Edition
>Post gear
>Post desired gear
>How long have you been playing?
>Favorite guitars?
>Favorite guitarists?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music

Beginner information and FAQ:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Learn guitar:
http://www.justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

>Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

--

>Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Last thread: >>66186267
>>
is this a good deal?

https://reverb.com/item/2300522-homemade-pedalboard-2015-tweed
>>
second for
>you will never be good enough
>>
>>66212100
There has never been a good deal on a pedal board. Just go to the hardware store already.
>>
File: trinity-2-reverb-front.jpg (31 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
trinity-2-reverb-front.jpg
31 KB, 600x600
This just came in the mail, its neat. The guy was selling it because he said it was too much reverb. That was exactly what I wanted. This thing gets weird.
>>
For a twangy/fuzzy sound should I buy a Gretsch Pro Jet or a 50's Squier Tele?
>>
>>66212100
If you do exactly what he did and build one yourself, you'll realize this is a bad deal.
>>
does anyone have one of these? i want one so tell me if its good.
>>
>>66212165
> twangy fuzz

Wat
>>
>>66212100
It looks horrible. The tweed looks terrible, not fitting well at all. You can make one cheaper yourself, or perhaps just get a pedalboard from palmer or something.
>>
>>66212204
not both at the same time, / is or
>>
>>66212100
Jesus you buy a new, comparable pedaltrain for that.
>>
File: 36299298.jpg (15 KB, 284x253) Image search: [Google]
36299298.jpg
15 KB, 284x253
>>66212203
>more than 6 strings
>>
>>66212165
best strategy in my opinion is to worry about clean and overdriven sounds when choosing a guitar. People seem to only be happy with how their guitar happens to respond to fuzz. That said, if you want the best guitar for fuzz you generally want humbuckers and a bass contour. A neck humbucker is not really necessary but noiseless is a good thing in either position.

A bass contour is extremely important in differentiating a fuzzy sound from other distortion. More bass will be fuzzier, so a bassier pickup(humbucker, or two single coils in series) with a bass contour should give you the full range of possibilities.
>>
Anyone have experience with the brand Jay Turser? Particularly their Les Paul? I'm a poorfag and someone is selling it for a really good price.
>>
>>66212508
I don't really care about the OD and clean sounds because I already have some friends with guitars that have plain humbuckers and single coils and I want to add something different in the mix.
>>
>>66212524
It's such trash. Don't bother with it.
>>
>>66212524
might as well post the ad or a picture from the ad while you're at it.

I've heard good things about a few of the more expensive jay tursers. I don't know what model that is so I really don't know, but jay turser DOES have some shit show guitars available for torturing poorfags, so be careful.
>>
>>66212586
Believe it or not, filtertrons don't sound that unique. What guitars do your friends have? Do they usually go for "big" bassy sounds, or more midrangy, punk tones?
>>
>>66212685
Jackson, Squier (a shitty one) and Epi's.
>>
>>66212429
>knowing anything about music
>>
>>66212725
>a shitty one

I'm sorry, does Squier make a guitar that's not shit?
>>
What program do you guys prefer for emulating pedals and amps on the computer?
>>
>>66212685
And I forgot, one of them likes to zone out with mid-range rhythm, another is a typical teacher-taught player and the other is a lazy bum but I can make him play however I want.
>>66212756
I've heard nice things about the Classic Vibe stuff.
>>
>>66212777
Nice trips.

But I mean for the classic vibe stuff you're better off just buying a Mexi Strat or Tele for not much more.
>>
>>66212844
I play lefty and I'm in Europe so the cheapest Fender costs $200 more. A G&L Tele is $100 bucks more though.
>>
Post Clyps! i'd start but i've over demonstrated mine in these threads and they're probably insufferably indie for you folks anyway
>>
>>66212960
True. I lived in England for a short period of time and I couldn't believe how much more they want for guitars over there.
>>
>>66212725
That's too vague. I want to know what pickup configs and scale lengths they got. I can assume the jackson is 25.5" and the epi is 24.75", but what kind of squier is it? I'm plotting your best choice as we speak.
>>
>>66213249
>scale length
I know you're bullshiting but whatever, Bullet Squier (shit as I said) and the others are HH.
>>
>>66213045
It's solo guitar, hard to be too annoyingly anything with just that much. It's not like you'd post a clyp of straight cowboy chords or anything.
>>
What's the best acoustic guitar shape and why is it 000 /gg/?
>>
>>66213307
this is the stuff i do tho, not really solo-ey https://clyp.it/lacgnwzz
>>
I just bought my first acoustic. I feel bad, like if it was too soon to buy my second guitar. I just started playing one year ago.
>>
>>66213406
just start hoarding gear.
>>
File: this isnt shopping.png (8 KB, 159x306) Image search: [Google]
this isnt shopping.png
8 KB, 159x306
>>66213043
you forgot the pasta you fucking faggot
>>
>>66213310
Dreadnought master race
>>
>>66213406
It's a slippery slope anon get used to it and don't look back

>tfw at one point in time I owned 16 guitars.
>>
>>66213301
I'm not bullshitting. A good way to get some sonic territory to yourself is to have a different scale length. Basically two guitars that have different scale lengths, even if you compensate for tuning by tuning up the shorter scale, will have a slight difference that helps the guitars be differentiable in a mix. When you compensate for tuning you remove most of the larger tonal differences, but you still have a change in harmonic antinodes. This is most noticeable when both guitars play the same note.

To be clear, it won't make a big difference otherwise.

Some good choices would be a guitar with p90s or a 24" guitar. A tele can be a good choice, too. It can sound pretty different from a strat, more so of you've got something besides the normal single coil in the neck.

I'd advise against a mustang if you want to leave the pickups stock. It will have some difference from a strat for sure, but not as much as you'd probably like or expect. If you get a short scale put heavy string on it.
>>
>>66213483
How are you enjoying your zero dynamic range?
>>
>>66213406
don't worry i own 3 guitars and a bass guitar and have gone through (bought, used and sold) 2 other guitars, 3 guitar amps 2 cabinets and 2 bass amps in the year i've been playing
j-just gotta find the sound i want
>>
>>66213381
wait i mean this https://clyp.it/nyxumtyv
>>
>>66213561
You just don't have enough switches
>>
Can you guys tell me about Mexican Fenders and where to find one?
>>
>>66213515
I'll go with the Gretsch and buy a P90 because there aren't any P90 lefties and its scale is 24.5". Thanks for your help.
>>
>>66213622
well they both sound like pure shit.
>>
>>66213766
yea that's what i was saying in the op, you guys wouldn't like it but i wanna hear what people are doing
>>
>>66213735
They're better than squier and they also make some high end guitar (reissue guitar like the 72 thinline tele) The high end ones are worth getting new and the lower end ones are worth getting but only on sale or used. If you're on a budget and just have to buy new go for the Squier Classic vibe series
>>
>>66213561
I feel like you have made some bad decisions and bought shitty gear. Care to tell what you have bought?
>>
File: unnamed.png (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
23 KB, 300x300
Reposting from last thread

Guy near me is selling a black custom X series Martin for $550. Should I jump on it? He said it was just about $900 new and he just does't play it anymore. I was thinking I would offer $500 for it. I played it earlier and it sounds really nice for the price.
>>
>>66212203
Are you a gypsy?
Do you play jazz?
>>
>>66213959
reignoring from last thread
>>
>>66213381
>>66213622

I really liked both those tracks, keep it up man!
>>
>>66214056
quit being nice, That sounded like shit and you know it. If you want him to get better just tell him the truth.
>>
>>66213992
they actually sell a gypsy guitar I'm a bit tempted by
>>
>>66214077
You have to think positive anon!
>>
>>66214056
thanks man, that means a lot : )
>>
>>66214084
do they really? post it.
>>
File: 1999 Les Paul classic.png (1 MB, 1440x843) Image search: [Google]
1999 Les Paul classic.png
1 MB, 1440x843
FUCK YOU MODS.
>>
>>66214077
that's not how it works anon

Negative motivation has been proven over and over to be less effective than positive motivation.
>>
>>66213866
Been given an ibanez gio and a tiny amp from my dad as a gift because he noticed a lot of the music I listen to involves guitar. I later bought a peavey vypyr on sale which had a lot of effects to dick around with. Bass seemed fun so I went out and bought a gio bass (which is pretty good) and some small bass cube that I could afford at the time. Then traded my gio and tiny amp for an LP copy, and later bought an ibanez roadcore cause I scored a good deal. Got a vox hybrid head later with a cabinet built by the guy who sold it to me, built a different cabinet to accomodate new speakers for it. This week got a 100w bass combo and it just sounds so fucking nice.
I'm pretty comfortable with my bass rig right now but I'm looking to sell the roadcore, and get a guitar with single coils since I already have the LP copy which sounds nicer than the roadcore.
So yeah, lots of impulse buys, lots of "because its a good deal / can't afford something else" buys as well. Looking for a strat but none are popping up second that aren't asking ridiculous prices, and fuck getting ripped off by overpriced music stores.
fucking /blog
>>
>>66214077
le devil
>>66214056
le angle
>>
>>66214110
this is shown in most recently conducted psych-research. I think negative reinforcement is more when somebody is being psychologically self destructive
>>
>>66214161
more applicable*
>>
>>66214106
I think they're sold out but here it is. They used to have one in the SX line, too.
>>
>>66214084
I'm ignorant in this area but is that not the sole purpose of a 7 string (fuck 8 actually) acoustic?
>>
>>66214198
Yeah, I guess. But "gypsy guitar" doesn't refer to that.
>>
>>66214198
if you're a nu-metal player - chug chug
if you're folkishly inclined you get that harp(ish) range
>>
>>66214123
I really recommend saving up for proper instruments and gear, it's much better. Impulse buys and those "because its a good deal / can't afford something else" -buys often turn out to be dissapointments.

A piece of advice that my father gave me early on: "guitars are bought, not sold."
Make sure the gear you buy is good enough that you'll never have to sell it.
>>
>>66214188
just checked, they're in stock
>>
>>66214243
>>66214254
I have been enlightened
Cheers fampai
>>
>>66214123
Also got a cheap old acoustic. Does not sound great, but I don't worry about breaking it.
>>
>>66214281
Don't tell me what to do you're not my real dad.
>>
>>66214281
Yeah that's one way of seeing it. If someone is selling something it might be just cause the thing they're selling is shit. But as an unemployed student I can't really afford nice things.
>>
>>66214281
your dad sounds like a dumbass
>>
>>66214281
>A piece of advice that my father gave me early on: "guitars are bought, not sold."

really makes you think
>>
>>66214077
Fuck off I thought it actually sounded nice. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>66214281
your dad sounds like the type of dad i fuck in the ass for money and i'm not even gay
>>
>>66214254
>if you're folkishly inclined you get that harp(ish) range
Hell, you can get an 8 string if you think you don't have enough notes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3izFZf99z8
>>
>>66214469
ah sweet, this sounds like Discipline era King Crimson
>>
>>66214281
when you buy used gear and sell at the same price, you just rented it for free. Likewise, a small loss is a small rental fee.
>>
>>66213622
my fucking sides

>/gg/ in a nutshell
>>
>>66214544
i feel like its just not /gg/ in a nutshell at all and that's a downer in itself
>>
Favourite tone of all time?

I want to get a new amp with a nice clean/crunchy tone don't really know which direction to head in. I'm interested in what you guys think is the goat tone.
>>
>>66214325
I'm not telling you what to do.
And yes, I am your real dad. Go to bed Jimmy.

>>66214338
Yeah I understand that, but often I see people buying lots of cheap gear in a short time span, when they could've waited, saved up their money and bought something better. One example is buying several cheap guitars, and having issues with them, not being satisfied with them, when you could've bought a single good guitar

>>66214349
My dad is a smart man, he owns great guitars.

>>66214527
Yeah that's one way to look at it.
>>
>>66213788
Don't listen to him, I actually really liked the first one.
>>
>>66214600
haha, is a bit of a rip off of Pleasure Principle by Sufjan in retrospect
>>
>>66214254
There were also some older jazz guitarists like George Van Eps who played 7 string archtops.

https://youtu.be/OqdsiXSfEyQ
>>
>>66214680
true, that makes a lot of sense, definitely grants stronger voice leading
>>
>>66214593
>my dad is a smart man, he owns great guitars
Truly the measure of a man's intelligence. You must also be very smart.
>>
>>66214730
>intelligence
Shit, meant to say wallet.
>>
>>66212960
that G&L is so worth the extra $100 you wouldn't believe. The Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified are NOT as good as they look from shill posts on forums.

>>66214584
you just have to play a bunch and see. there are too many opinions on this. I personally like big Fender tube amps. I can get any sound I want out of them. Not to say I play every genre.
>>
>>66214584
vht special series are SO good for their price
>>
looking to jam a lipstick pickup in my strat

do you guys have recommendations for a cheap neck lipstick pickup?
>>
My guitar teacher says Mexican Strats are shit :(
>>
>>66212100
that looks terrible lol.

I'd give you one I made for free if you lived around here.
>>
>>66215010
tell him to suck your penor
>>
>>66212068
>Acoustic appreciation thread
>posts a Martin

How am I supposed to appreciate pure shit?
>>
>>66215010
He's wrong because all strats are shit.
>>
>>66214188
Not gonna lie that's cheap as fuck for a solid top gypsy guitar. Wonder if they sound good

http://www.rondomusic.com/GPDEN.HTML
>>
Sup /gg/? /o/ here but my 13 year old son wants to start playing the guitar. I think it's a good idea but I'm completely lost when it comes to guitars. Whats the real differences between a $300 guitar and a $1000 guitar? I want to get him something decent that he can learn on but also want to keep later down the road as he gets better but I also don't want to get him something too nice in case he decides he doesn't want to play after all. He wants an acoustic so amps and things like that don't need to be taken in to consideration.
>>
>>66215010
should i buy a mim strat? i really want to buy a strat new and not 2nd hand
>>
>>66215294
good acoustics are expensive as fuck AND they're a bit gay tbqh
>>
File: jaCFYFV.jpg (50 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
jaCFYFV.jpg
50 KB, 722x349
I've been playing music for seven years, guitar for four.

Guitar has always been something that I just do for fun and have never really tried improving just for the sake of getting better, etc scales and basically anything more than just chords.

I feel like a waste of humanity and I might have depression, so I want to do something productive and actually "get gud" so that I can feel better about being alive hopefully.

I'm kinda lost and don't really know what to do.

I guess I just wanted to tell somebody, even if they are anonymous strangers who don't care.

thanks I guess.
>>
>>66213622
I'd rather listen to this than the Djent Buttrock most of /gg/ likes tbqh.
>>
>>66215318
I'm willing to spend up to $800 or so if need be but I won't if I don't have to. A few brands I was told are good are Martin, Taylor, Blueridge, and Breedlove. Only problem is that they all tend to be a bit expensive or at the upper end of my price range.

I asked him if he was sure about the acoustic and he said yes. He likes a lot of country music so I guess that makes sense.
>>
>>66215294
Don't spend too much money, you can find absolutely decent acoustic guitars for even less than 300 bucks. Many of them are specifically designed for beginners, to provide them with a quality learning instrument while not forcing them to spend a lot of money on something they're still unsure about.
>>
>>66215331
well that objective is very grand and vague (no insult intended), and its important that you learn what 'getting gud' is for you. Additionally its probably worth reading some stuff about the nature of meritocracy, as you seem to be getting upset by the feeling of not SUCCeeding?
>>
>>66215294
Get him a Seagull S6. Cheap but incredible quality.
>>
>>66215331
Find exercices based on theory
Practice exercices
Record yourself
Follow the metronome, or the snare/hi-hat
Find hard songs you like, play them
>>
>>66215381
thanks dude, i'm yet to find Djent i come close to liking too, maybe tool? idk man
>>
>>66215470
>tool
>djent
jesus christ that "word" started as an ononomatopoeia for a guitar sound, tool's not fucking djent
>>
>>66215510
oops, sorry lmoa. Clearly not my field of expertise
>>
>>66215294
$300 is good enough for a beginner. The differences in more expensive instruments are solid woods, better hardware/setups bone nuts etc..A beginner wouldn't be able to notice the differences anyways.

I would get him a used Martin 000x1ae. It's a little more than $300 but it has the feeling and sound of a more expensive Martin. He would probably be really happy too since Martin is kind of the standard for Acoustic guitars.
>>
>>66215294
seagull or takamine
>>
>>66215470
I don't know, your track reminded me of some kind of Free Form Banjo rock that Keiji Haino would do or something haha. Don't know what you were going for but it has potential to be really cool in a band format.
>>
File: photo1[1].jpg (54 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
photo1[1].jpg
54 KB, 800x531
Novice guitarist here. Looking for a new primary gig guitar. Going purely on looks, I'm thinking of buying this PRS SE 245:

https://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-Guitars-245STBK/dp/B00VENIV7G/ref=sr_1_12?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1467841187&sr=1-12&keywords=electric+guitar&refinements=p_36%3A30000-55000%2Cp_89%3APaul+Reed+Smith%7CPaul+Reed+Smith+Guitars

Anyone have any opinions on on this model or on budget PRS guitars in general?
>>
>>66215435
yeah, it's vague. I just didn't think people would want to hear about it.

I've been looking into learning more complicated things than I'm used to, Like Brendon Smalls stuff and Metallica.
>>
File: even prs hates the birds.png (166 KB, 366x285) Image search: [Google]
even prs hates the birds.png
166 KB, 366x285
>>66215600
>>
>>66215591
Woah that is so empowering man thank u bloody hell, i'll listen to that/those guy/s you mentioned
>>
>>66215618
not too hard then, the post several above mine pretty much covers you, but i would with that info now hazard a guess that it has nothing to do with you contentedness. i imagine that's something more complicated
>>
>>66214966
gfs fit the bill
>>
>>66215591
oh man, this guy is sooo cool
>>
>>66215411
See if a local music shop has any Martin X series guitars in. They're the best acoustic guitars you can buy under $1,000. If you go for one of the X series guitars in the higher end of the line ($700+) you even get hand scalloped X bracing and some really good electronics.

It's a great sounding/playing guitar from THE name in acoustics that sounds as good as guitars costing 2x-3x more because it's made out of HPL which on another plus is extremely durable.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-X-Series.gc
>>
>>66215812
why are you so salty tho
>>
>>66214793
>The Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified are NOT as good as they look from shill posts on forums.
But they are.

G&L fags are the worst. There's something not quite right about those guitars.
>>
>>66215094
and it's made of masonite so as to add insult to injury. martin's are great guitars though, just not that one.
>>66215106
>t. memerocker
>>
>>66215897
poe law strikes again damn nabbit, the japanese drone guy is super good is what i'm saying
>>
>>66215812
He's very cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5MpZAjl7t0
>>
>>66215966
listening to his jim o rourke collab, who i also love
>>
>>66215923
Have you ever played a higher end X series? That HPL seemed odd to me at first too but after going to the store and playing on one for a few hours I ended up buying one. I wanted to hate them too, but I couldn't think of any real reason to hate it once I played it.
>>
>>66215984
Yeah his latest band with Jim O'Rourke and Oren Ambarchi is one of his best lineups I think. All their albums are good.
>>
>>66215923
>Current year
>Not play mememasters
>>
>>66216073
neat, will listen. thnks f.am
>>
>>66215904
>There's something not quite right about those guitars.
I guess this is what no knowledge of how guitars work looks like. Spooky. Good thing everyone else posting here knows what they're talking about... Right guys?
>>
>>66216215
>f.am
>>
>>66216309
>>66215904
le mystery scooby doo problems. if it wasn't for you meddling man-children..
>>
>>66216337
i don't want that weeb shit possessing my sentences
>>
>>66216378
Embrace it, onii-chan. Admit you're one of us.
>>
What kind of gear should I look into for making more ambient driven sounds?
Also any funk guitar guides?
>>
Meanwhile, on /a/...
>>
>>66216452
closest thing you have on me is Princess Mononoke is my favourite film
>>
File: IMG_20160706_183834.jpg (1 MB, 2088x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160706_183834.jpg
1 MB, 2088x4160
>>66212068
Can anyone explain to me why the strings on the bass side of this guitar sound dull and gummy? The treble strings are crisp and clear, which makes for an annoying combination.

>inb4 because your guitar sucks
>>
>>66216711
try raise the bass side of the bridge
>>
>>66213622
>https://clyp.it/nyxumtyv
Would listen again. What are you using for the distorted tone?
>>
>>66216612
At least they can handle bantz. If you said nigger in /mu/, you'd never here the end of it.
>>
>>66216763
as far as i can remember just the logic pro overdrive with some compression and eq, naturally
>>
>>66216764
i feel like there's just no point using it
>>
>>66215966
Fucken saved.
>>
>>66216711
Wound strings accumulate gunk between the windings which changes the sound including deadening them. It also throws off intonation. The unwound strings do not age as much at all. Try thoroughly wiping the strings with alcohol(be careful not to get much on the fretboard). Next pull the string away a bit and let go, that'll hopefully flick some of the gunk out. If that doesn't help, put on a new set of strings and try to keep them clean this time.

Don't listen to the idiot who said to raise your bridge.
>>
>>66216882
>raise the bridge
Lmoa i said that, why was that bad advice? Again i've been shown as clueless in this thread
>>
>>66216942
What he described has nothing to do with fret buzz. Raising the bridge is not going to change the tone here, and it'll make his action worse. I almost struggle to explain why it's a bad idea, the issue is really that it has nothing to do with the problem.
>>
>>66217086
yeah that was well stupid of me, i'll lurk more regarding tech next time haha
>>
>>66216942
Why the fuck would you give advice if you don't know what you're talking about? Anybody reading s reply like that is going to assume you had enough sanity to not just make random shit up and spew words.

Next time you're going to post here, whether giving advice or your opinion, ask yourself "Do I know what I'm talking about?" Otherwise, please, just don't make a comment that doesn't contribute.
>>
>>66216711
fretboard looks gnarly, get a new set of strings and clean it with alcohol and paper towels

maybe experiment with lighter gauge strings, could be brighter. also over time i've noticed bass strings just get muddy. if they're over a year or two old then it wouldn't hurt to replace the strings.
>>
>>66217148
oh bloody hell, chill out lmao
>>
>>66216711
Change your strings. Also it looks like an all mahogany guitar so it kind of is meant to have that somewhat dull sound.
>>
File: beststratdesigns.png (2 MB, 2384x948) Image search: [Google]
beststratdesigns.png
2 MB, 2384x948
what are your favourite strat color/pickguard/neck combinations?
>>
>>66216626
>I know that I like anime, but I'm too afraid to watch more of it
sasuga /gg/
>>
>>66217408
>implying Mononoke is anime
>>
>>66217357
nat mahogany with tort pickguard and cream plastics
>>
>>66216882
>The unwound strings do not age as much at all.
unwound strings get rusty as fuck on my guitar because of acidic sweat, much faster than wound strings, they lose all their tone in three weeks
>>
>>66216882
>>66217331
Thanks, I'll try both of these things.
>>66217201
The fretboard is pretty clean actually, it's just the figuring in the rw and my shitty phone camera.
>>
File: 1467681596281.jpg (113 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
1467681596281.jpg
113 KB, 720x1280
>>66217408
>i know i like good entertainment, but im afraid most anime is utter garbage which is why i only watch the good ones
>>
File: 5fld1.jpg (698 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
5fld1.jpg
698 KB, 1080x1920
>>66217357
>>
>>66217676
>I know I like good entertainment, but I don't have the attention span necessary to read manga
>a
>fucking
>comic book
>>
File: barres.png (81 KB, 883x894) Image search: [Google]
barres.png
81 KB, 883x894
Am i supposed to just kill my finger all day till i get this? I can't practice for more then a minute or two till my finger starts pulsing with pain.

Also i've been playing for 4 months now just following some online lessons, am i making decent progress? I don't play as much as i should but i feel like i'm coming along okay.
>>
File: J07383000001000-00-500x500.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
J07383000001000-00-500x500.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
Tell me why I shouldn't buy this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-hummingbird-pro-acoustic-electric-guitar
>>
>>66216711
Your strings are gunked up. Change your strings and change them more often in the future. Also always wash your hands before you play.

Buying coated strings like Elixirs gets you better tone for a longer time.
>>
Hi /gg/

Is the vexter FF worth the price over the BMP?
>>
>>66217765
My $100 fender can do the same thing and it costs less
>>
>>66217710
Swap the pearlescent for white and I'd buy it.
>>
>>66217765
I had one, it was shit.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (12 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
12 KB, 261x193
>>66217888
>buy it
Just go light your current guitar on fire
>>
>>66217979
explain
>>
File: 1466721013199.jpg (42 KB, 313x355) Image search: [Google]
1466721013199.jpg
42 KB, 313x355
>>66217745
>be defender of animu
>accuse anyone of having no attention span
wew
>>
>>66218134
nothing to explain. its just shit.
>>
>>66218134
it was shit. It sounded shit, it felt shit, and it looked shit IRL.

I bought it from MF and ran out of time to return it. I sold it to guitar center for $75 and spent the extra money to get a Martin. Don't go cheap with acoustics. Just save the extra money and get something decent.
>>
>>66217811
Depends on what type of sound you want. Big muff is a more versatile all around fuzz pedal, FF is for more avant-garde/noisy situations.

Both are cool, you can get a fuzz factory clone pretty cheap btw. Zvex prices are crazy sometimes.
>>
Is this a compressor that gets that wavy sound 4 minutes in?

https://youtu.be/VejZKCpNnrs?t=3m40s

What would I type in to get a good tutorial on getting that sound?
>>
Need help real quick

If Im in the key of C Minor and play the bII chord, what chord would that be?
>>
>>66218302
Sounds like a wah pedal and maybe a vibrato/tremolo pedal to me.
>>
>>66218353
also you get that sound by pressing the wah up and down really fast.
>>
>>66218302
Why do noobs think every effect they don't understand is a compressor? I get not understanding what a compressor does, but how that makes it do everything I will never know.
>>
>>66218319
Neapolitan chord - Db major
>>
>>66218581
Thank you friend!
>>
>>66217811
Here nigger http://www.willsledgefx.com/products/the-judge-5-knob-germanium-transistor-fuzz

Fuzz Factory copy for $115.
>>
File: blackhawk_1.jpg (151 KB, 700x788) Image search: [Google]
blackhawk_1.jpg
151 KB, 700x788
Are bare knuckle Blackhawks good?

Are BKPs good in general?
>>
Any videos of black metal guitarist in the studio recording tracks? I am writing and practicing some stuff but I know that there's a lot of stuff I can get better at, like changing between 3 strings in each bar for a while on the lower strings. I suppose I make it a little tougher when I use thicker gage strings but I need to fall back on some hard tones to play billy bomb black
>>
>>66213622
What the fuk
>>
>>66213622
>https://clyp.it/nyxumtyv

I like this, just make the guitar a little brighter, eq or maybe just a pop filter
>>
>>66219423
BKPs in general aren't as good as you would expect for the price. They are just fine but I believe there's a few places for cheaper handwound pickups.
>>
>>66220099
Are they better than emg 707x's? The ones I have now

What do you recommend
>>
What the fuck is the name of the animu you weebs watch? I would like to see what it's about
>>
>>66220180
What music do you play, and what do you use for distortion?
>>
>>66220350
boku no pico
>>
>>66220409
I use alot of clean tones, but for distortion i like a djenty tone, and I use protone pedals for distortion

I play mostly prog
>>
>>66220454
L500XL
>>
>>66220350
k-on
>>
>>66212137
One of the guitarist from Mournful Congregation swears by these.

>>66213045
https://clyp.it/22xdwgux

>>66219423
>Are BKPs good in general?
Yes.

>Are bare knuckle Blackhawks good?
They're pretty much aimed as passive with the response of actives. Strangely the Miracle Man does it better in my experience.

>>66219484
There's some "live" videos of Burzum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xEtWk8eo94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOAhaSUFiPs

>>66220099
They're expensive but they're very good pickups.

>>66220180
>Are they better than emg 707x's?
Pickups are largely preference--I can't see pretty much any BKP not being "better" than a 707X. The only EMG I've ever really gelled with was the 85.

>>66220454
Holy Diver.
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/downloads/soundclips/humbuckers/contemporary/holy_diver/holy_diver-progressive_metal.mp3
A large portion of the Periphery II tracks were recorded with a Holy Diver if you're into that kind of music.
>>
>>66220599

thankyou
>>
>Acoustic appreciation
perfect

What's your favorite acoustic song to play /gg/?
>>
>>66220825
black bird I guess, the others are more about the singing
>>
>>66220599
$150 for a pickup is kind of absurd. Just saying. I know since pickups are the most important tonal factor and are relatively cheap, people tend to treat price as no object here, but still. I'm not really thinking of diminishing returns so much as vanishing returns.
>>
>>66217757
Pro tip: LEVERAGE not STRENGTH
Don't try to mash your finger onto the neck. Try to use your arm muscles and shoulders to direct force onto the fingerboard.
>>
>>66220825
Wonderwall :^)
>>
Feeling depressed af lately, feels like I haven't made any progress in the last couple of weeks and for some reason I can't memorize this etude I'm supposed to play for my guitar teacher tomorrow even tho I should have been able to play it by last week.
Any way to scape this no motivation hell? It sometimes feels like I'm not going to make it.
>>
>>66220825
Blackbird
>>
>>66221782
its ok m8 just start drinking
>>
>>66220825
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr7Qyag0vqE

>>66221782
take a step back and look at exactly how you've been trying to memorize that etude and, generally, what learning methods you've been using. what has worked? what hasnt? when you 'practice for 4 hours' how much of that time is wasted on distractions, idle noodling, etc?

if you think you're learning methods are perfect you're the most destructive kind of wrong. discuss your findings with your teacher.
>>
>>66215469
This is all solid advice

t.mediocrebassplayer

I relate to you >>66215331

Same feelings of being a waste of space and wanting to do something productive - it really helps me now.
>>
File: 1408390031674.jpg (302 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
1408390031674.jpg
302 KB, 1000x665
>>66215469
>Find hard songs you like, play them
This.
>>
>>66221043
>$150 for a pickup is kind of absurd.
It really depends where you are. Over here BKPs cost the same as EMGs. Until recently an 81/85 set was about $30 more than a set of BKPs.
>>
A lot of depression in this thread today. Make sure you guys are getting vitamin D and exercise. I love you all and emo music is not the answer.
>>
>>66215294
maybe something with nylon strings if he is a beginner, but overall regular strings will strengthen his fingers
>>
File: penntroll.jpg (71 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
penntroll.jpg
71 KB, 500x491
>>66222593
>Make sure you guys are getting vitamin D and exercise

Seconding this - I live in a cold country up north and my vitamin D was at a "14" not sure what that number means but I think you're supposed to be 45+ in order to be healthy.

I felt like shit, I'm much better now with a normal value - I thought it was a meme at first but it really has helped.

I think sad music helps when you're feeling down though - at least it helps me getting it out of my system.
>>
>>66219423

Bare Knuckles are good pickups but they're more expensive than they're worth, especially if you live in NA (the conversion rate is a killer, though maybe not so much lately).

To be honest a lot of pickup shit is placebo and snake oil. Good pickups aren't expensive, they're just wired wrapped around plastic with a magnet wedged inside. An expensive set of BKPs isn't going to be better than a midranged set of Duncans, or even necessarily better than budget-range GFS pickups. They're all the same shit, they're just tuned different and it's totally subjective.
>>
>>66222832
I don't really gave any issue with emo music or listening to emo music, I was just trying to be funny.
>>
>>66223362
>To be honest a lot of pickup shit is placebo and snake oil.
As is virtually everything when it comes to electric guitars.
>>
>>66223442
I wanted one of those things so bad. I even emailed that kurt guy if they were ever planning on getting some more. You know because they sold out in a matter of days. His response was "I don't know"

Fucking dweeb
>>
>tfw you impressed a normie crowd by playing an acoustic version of the shitty EDM song "Sugar"
>>
>>66223362

Also, just changing a magnet is enough to totally alter a pickup's character.

Seymour Duncan offers a lot of pickups, but several of them are just other pickups with different magnets. The JB, Distortion and RTM are the same pickup but with Alnico 5, Ceramic and Alnico 2 magnets respectively. The Alnico II Pro is just a Jazz with an Alnico 2 instead of an Alnico 5. And the difference between the Custom, Custom 5 and Custom Custom is Ceramic, Alnico 5 and Alnico 2 magnets. So from three pickups Duncan is able to sell eight and they all sound fairly different.
>>
Are agile guitars good for the money?
>>
>>66223629
Does the Pope shit in the woods?
>>
>>66223442
I feel like Fender could make a killing off a similar line of 80s-themed Strats.
>>
>>66223362
I agree with you but I feel obligated to say that "scatterwound" pickups have lower capacitance. Basically, a capacitor works by putting two metal plates near each other with an insulator in between. When a pickup is wound, a lot of wires are perfectly parallel to each other, and the air is the insulator between them. Scatterwound pickups have less capacitance because there's less of these parallel stretches of string.

It's widely believed in the industry that only hand wound pickups cab achieve a scatterwound sound. I don't know if it's true, but I do believe there's a difference between pickups thanks to this (it can be measured).

THAT SAID, the difference is very small, and what's more, that lack of capacitance can be totally useless if you have mods like a no-load tone pot and a 1 meg volume pot. It's not as hard as you think to get a brighter sound than you can really ever use. There are far greater differences is the sound that are far easier to control.

There are times when scatterwinding may be called for. You may want a specific output to match with a pickup you already have, but find winding the pickup to that output is too dark.

The best way to get a brighter tone is simply less windings, though. It will lower your capacitance far more.

I prefer budget, machine wound pickups. I like a VERY bright tone naturally from my pickups, and I achieve that with lower output and electronics with low load. If I wanted to take that further I would buffer my input.
>>
File: 3350839144_22074455d3_b.jpg (218 KB, 686x1024) Image search: [Google]
3350839144_22074455d3_b.jpg
218 KB, 686x1024
>>66223701

They do. They have a whole company for it called "Charvel."
>>
>>66223677
I'm not Catholic. Maybe though
>>
>>66223629
sort of
>>
>>66223629
yep
>>
>>66223735

I mean there's all this sure, but there's a presence knob on your amp for a reason.

I guess my point is the pickups produce a tiny electrical signal and it goes down a wire where it gets blasted with huge amounts of electricity that turn it into a big electrical signal. Pickups are important but only to a certain extent.
>>
>>66223754
The answer is "everyone will tell you 'yes' but the correct answer is obviously 'no'"
>>
>>66223701
Yeah they do. Google Aerodyne Strat.
>>
>>66223790
I agree completely. I'd put gfs pickups against gibson and bare knuckle any day. I just felt like making the science a bit clearer.
>>
>>66212068
Why is bass, fundamentally and objectively, such a better instrument than guitar? And why are bassists smarter and more well informed consumers?
>>
>>66223884
yes actually
>>
>dealing with the fact you'll never be on the big stage
>being a shitty jazz guitarist
Just shed it out my colleagues
>>
>>66223909
Right? I'm glad to find smart people on here.
>>
>>66223884
bassists are smarter consumers per capita because there are less hobbyist bassists than hobbyist guitarists.

Bass is objectively better because it goes thump
>>
>>66223884

Bass is kinda like bread, and guitar the topping.

Do you like eating plain bread?
>>
>>66223952
Correct, marvelous.
>>66223969
>nice, fresh, warm bread
>not delicious
You're objectively wrong.
>>
>>66223969
>implying fresh bread out of the oven isnt very good

you're only proving his point
>>
>>66223969
I get that people think of bass as the foundation, etc, etc, but this metaphor really sucks. Bread is eaten plain more often than toppings are eaten plain. Bass music is consumed on it's own hardly ever.

Bass is the topping. Your metaphor is shit.
>>
File: vai.jpg (122 KB, 595x757) Image search: [Google]
vai.jpg
122 KB, 595x757
>>66212068
I wish I was this cool.
>>
>>66224076
Thank fuck it's current year and this isn't acceptable anymore.
>>
>>66224076
Is it bad that the only Steve Vai music I've ever heard is the guitar dual in "Crossroads"?
>>
>>66224076

Steve Vai is the reason Charvel doesn't put flush mounted Floyds on their Pro Mods anymore.

Fuck Steve Vai.
>>
>>66224141
I don't understand. What does vai have to do with that?
>>
>>66224163

Vai is the guy who came up with recessing Floyd Roses. He modified his Charvel with the lion claw cavity on the face of the body for pull-ups and made it a standard feature on the JEM, which was the first mass-produced guitar to have that feature. Since then recessing the Floyd has become standard and now Charvel has to do it too because dumb kids think not having it is a manufacturing defect.
>>
>>66224235
Oh. I thought by flush you meant recessed. After all, not recessed is more proud.

Anyway who cares, floyds are gay
>>
>>66223362
>Bare Knuckles are good pickups but they're more expensive than they're worth, especially if you live in NA (the conversion rate is a killer, though maybe not so much lately).
If you live in NA why are you buying them directly from BKP? They're much cheaper through The Axe Palace in Boston.
>>
I love all you fucking faggots.
>>
>>66224671
bro don't copy me
>>
>>66224715

Where did I copy you from, desu?
>>
How do I get started writing songs for guitar? Do I make up a bass line and build on top of that? Or just make up a melody and build chords on that instead? What form should I create songs in as a beginner?
>>
>>66222593
>>66222832

> tfw I work from home and get little sunlight
Man, I will try to get more sun exposure, you might be onto something.

I do go to the gym 4-5 times weekly so I'm kinda feeling alright because of that. Def helps a lot.

Sad music usually helps, crying like a bitch also does (but by all means do it privately), letting the emotions go makes you feel relief.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.