[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>listened to music through cheap-ass earbuds my entire life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
>listened to music through cheap-ass earbuds my entire life
>never cared about bitrate since I can't hear any difference, kinda figured it's a meme
>recently invested in a pair of great headphones for the first time in my life
>holy fuck
>my entire library of music suddenly sounds like shit

Is this how you become a pretentious audiophile?

I kinda regret it desu.
>>
>>66211576
Don't regret it, you'll be fine as long as you don't get to the point where you care more about the audio setup than the music
>>
>>66211576
>Is this how you become a pretentious audiophile?
Is it really pretentious if it actually makes a big difference to your listening experience? If someone doesn't care about the quality of the audio files and headphones they're using, there's no reason for them to worry about it but if it's something you notice enough to care about, there's nothing wrong with getting better spec stuff.
>>
>>66211628
it kinda weirds me out how 128kb/s rips sound notivcably better through my crappy buds than they do through the expensive-as-shit-by-comparison headphones
>>
>>66211689
I guess that's true. I just always kinda scoffed at the FLAC-or-bust types with their headphone amps and whatever, but I guess that's in large part due to me literally not knowing what I was missing....
>>
>>66211705
High-end headphones always make low bitrate files sound like dogshit because they reveal every single detail (or every detail missing) from the file
>>
>>66211576

don't forget that you need a very good sound card to play .FLAC files . You still won't understand the difference between FLAC and MP3 with just a good headset.
>>
>>66211755
Hell even if that stuff is just placebo past a certain point, if it's netting you more/better hours of happiness, I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing your money and hard drive space at it.
>>
>>66211576
>recently invested in a pair of great headphones for the first time in my life
>my entire library of music suddenly sounds like shit

yup, that's how it works, kiddo
>>
File: 1454828859524.png (224 KB, 510x557) Image search: [Google]
1454828859524.png
224 KB, 510x557
Never buy a 4K TV, dude.
>>
You now have to buy all of your music because pirating usually means get low bitrate versions of music.
>>
File: checkd.jpg (6 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
checkd.jpg
6 KB, 256x197
>>66211777
>>
>>66211576
The sound change isn't really a huge difference between shitty earbuds and expensive headphones really, you'll only notice subtle changes like a punchier bass.

That's how it worked out for me anyway.
>>
File: 1357632607394.gif (180 KB, 404x416) Image search: [Google]
1357632607394.gif
180 KB, 404x416
>>66211777
>>
>>66211915
I don't know what sort of music you're listening to and the difference headphones will make to lo-fi punk or something is negligible but if you've got some complex orchestral piece or a really well produced album where there's a lot of work put into the mixing and achieving certain timbres, it can make a massive difference to the sort of detail you can hear.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.