[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the worst generals on /mu/? And the best? My votes/reasoning:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: 1467719694100.png (456 KB, 716x712) Image search: [Google]
1467719694100.png
456 KB, 716x712
What are the worst generals on /mu/? And the best?
My votes/reasoning:

WORST:

/RYM/ - /soc/ shit, plain and simple. no music discussion whatsoever, only RYM melodrama. doesn't belong on the board.
/noise/ - underage overload, nothing but kids who have no idea what they're talking about and spamming awful Bandcamp and Soundcloud crap. zero education on the genre and its history, zero capability to find music on their own(the same 10-15 meme albums from /mu/ and RYM get discussed over and over and over, and seeing people talk about big black, animal collective and lightning bolt under the impression that they are relevant to the general's purpose is not uncommon), they can't even explain what it is they like about noise and instead just get belligerent when asked. no other general on /mu/ is as unqualified to discuss its subject. no reason to exist.
/daily/ - smug "post-ironic" tripfag circlejerk, doesn't even belong on /mu/ due to how little time is actually spent talking about music(and even when they do it their conversations are on the level of 15-year old RYM reviewers)and how much is spent on circlejerking and memes, somehow for all the effort they put into crafting unique musical identities for themselves they all listen to the same artists and fall back entirely on spoonfeeding when it comes to hearing new music

BEST:

/trad/ - sincere and educated people and discussion. the nature of the music and its lack of meme or "edgy" potential keeps idiots away.
/bleep/ - funny and smart crowd. quality banter. aside from /metal/, the only general which knows how to treat dilettantes and babies begging for spoonfeeding(by telling them to fuck off)
/metal/ - a wide variety of posters with a wide variety of interests makes for a varied and dynamic general. even with all the shitposting, still one of the better places on the board.
/jazz/ - same deal as /trad/. unfortunately not as regular as it once was.

Thoughts?
>>
/metal/ has turned to complete shit recently
>>
are you autistic
>>
>>66205779
the bottom of the barrel worst is kpop are you even trying
>>
/rym/ used to be good, and some of us only stick around to mourn and yearn for those days.
>>
>>66205779
you spend way too much time here
>>
File: yNlQWRMr.jpg (385 KB, 1360x1584) Image search: [Google]
yNlQWRMr.jpg
385 KB, 1360x1584
>clicking on generals
>>
>>66205913
>best
/blindfold/

>worst
/KPOP/
>>
every general here, without exception, is ubearable

/bleep/ was good a year or two ago but now it's just embarrassing pards pretending to be british
>>
What the actual fuck is the point of this thread
The worst is that you have the audacity to whine about others not talking about music at the start
>>
>>66206282
>>66205807
kpop isn't even a part of /mu/, it's just a /jp/ embassy.
>>
>>66206381
Fuck you
>>
>>66205807

Kpop general has nothing to do with music so it's not really a part of mu.
>>
someone post katie the cat
>>
>>66205779
why does he look like Richard D James
>>
>>66206381
Kek
>>
best: kpop general
worst: daily

kpop general is the only good thread on /mu/ besides collage threads
>>
/emoe/ was a favorite of mine for a while, even though I only ever lurked
>>
>>66205779
daily is alright

Alas /metal/ hasn't stopped going downhill from ~6months
>>
>>66206777
>~6months
(at least)
Also trips yay
>>
/classical/ , /comp/ > rest
>>
File: 1456843623754.jpg (89 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1456843623754.jpg
89 KB, 540x960
>>66206408
ok bud
>>
>>66205779
t. hello rato!
>>
>>66205779
lol, it's just a prank bro!
>>
bleep is the worst, please don't go there
>>
>>66205779
don't talk shit about /noise/ you fucking cocksucker
>>
/comp/ and /classical/ are the only good generals. Fitting, because classical is the only good music ever created.
>>
>>66205779
/trad/ is basically /hampus/, desu
>>
>>66207803
>you fucking cocksucker

edgy and autistic, just like noise itself
>>
>>66208107
>/classical/
>good
nice meme
>>
/noise/ is a genre for autists and pretentious elitist artfags who don't actually care about art, which is why the general is the worst on 4chan.

/kpop/ is terrible but I tolerate its existence because it holds the K-pop fans. However, K-pop posters outside of their containment zone are universally cancer and should be banned on sight.

/daily/ is mostly retarded but there are a few good people there.

/trad/ is good when it's not just /hampus and turny/ (aka never)

/rym/ used to be good but sucks now. I think the Sonemic update might breathe some life back into it.

/metal/ and /emoe/ are pure memes and autism. I don't know why you think they're any good.
>>
>>66208269
> Sonemic update
when is that supposed to happen? isn't it overdue at this point?
>>
>>66208269
more pretentious elitist art fags would actually probably be a marker improvement over /noise/'s current poster base
at least they would hopefully be familiar with noise beyond fucking whitehouse, kazumoto endo and the gerogerigegege and be aware that merzbow's first album didn't come in fucking 1994

i still hate myself for posting in and really trying to make /noise/ better at one point. there's no improving that thread, the best thing that can happen to it is dying
>>
>>66208356

Soon™

My bet is that it'll go into a public beta this Autumn and open for real in Spring 2017.
>>
>>66205779
/bleep/ is absolute next level banter
and, due to the nature of the genre, in london there's like weekly meetups as lads from it are always bumping into each other at nights out
so the general carries through to real life
>>
File: 1465681242518.jpg (803 KB, 3962x2677) Image search: [Google]
1465681242518.jpg
803 KB, 3962x2677
>>66205779
Generals are all shit tier and should be deleted from this board.
>>
>>66208437

Agreed. As should anyone who posts in them that isn't a shitposter.
>>
/grimes/ :3
>>
>>66208242
not him but its far better than popular music (all bands, "artists", singer songwriters, producers, etc.)

Its ok, you can't expect untrained people to produce anything of worth.
>>
/bleep/ is fucking awful
>>
>>66208437
From the sound of it you've only ever been in /kpop/
>>
>>66208383
I think /noise/ had a pretty decent period towards the end of last year, during autumn and early winter, and maybe during last spring as well but yeah, it's been utter moronic shit for most of its lifetime.

>i still hate myself for posting in and really trying to make /noise/ better at one point

Hahah, I've seen this sentiment expressed by more than a few people now. It seems like every halfway decent poster in that thread eventually came to regret their involvement and waste of effort.
>>
I keep trying to believe in /noise/ but it's a lost cause.
>>
I can't see the hate /kpop/ gets
They keep to their general and rarely post somewhere else.

Still I've never been in there and never plan to
>>
>>66209446
I think I've seen music discussed in kpg once or twice only. I think people hate it because it's not about music ad it's just people posting their waifus and calling other peoples' waifus ugly sluts
>>
>>66209628
Still if they don't mess with anyone outside their general I don't have a problem with them
>>
>>66209628
>I think people hate it because it's not about music ad it's just people posting their waifus and calling other peoples' waifus ugly sluts
And why is it okay when the exact same thing happens in regards to multiple Grimes, Marina, or Lavren threads that shit up the board?
>>
/kpop/ is a scapegoat
>>
>>66208517
the entire thread is just circlejerking over popular composers, what are you talking about?
>>
File: 16wtj7.jpg (84 KB, 899x500) Image search: [Google]
16wtj7.jpg
84 KB, 899x500
/comp/ will rise
>>
Noise was my favorite, even though there was a lot of amateur noise artists spamming their shitty soundclouds. It would be like if in the metal general, half the posts were shitty no name metal bands spamming their soundclouds.
>>
/metal/ is definitely the one with the most underage posters
>>
>>66205779
/RYM/ is by far the worst general.
It's drama central and I am the cause for its downturn in quality-or what quality it ever had.
It's fun and it's a bloodbath, but it's literally Cancer and I suggest everyone join it for the fun of it.
>>
>>66205779
>best generals
>/bleep/
>for telling people who are new to the genre to fuck off
>>
>>66209732
No one said that it was. All non-music discussion should be banned.
>>
>>66209331
>I think /noise/ had a pretty decent period towards the end of last year, during autumn and early winter, and maybe during last spring as well but yeah, it's been utter moronic shit for most of its lifetime.

the closest it ever came to being decent was during the last few months of 2015(the tradeoff for that okay period unfortunately being that they've been the worst they've ever been ever since 2016 began), i agree, but that had more to do with how tight-knit the threads were at the time (there was a handful or so of the same people who kept posting in them on a regular basis and not many outsiders, the bandcamp shilling was largely ignored etc.) than with any sort of proper increase in quality
i think most of the people who were posting in /noise/ at the time weren't longtime regulars but just people in passing who didn't even intend to stick around the threads for very long, it doesn't surprise me that they all eventually lost their interest and moved on

>>66210866
and then they'd get pissed when people called them out on obviously just randomly slapping shit together in audacity in 5 minutes with no rhyme or reason

"what do you mean bro, it's just noise, it's all subjective bro"

as much as /noise/ likes to bitch about random people who hate noise agitating them or shitposting, that general was always its worst enemy
>>
>>66211379
yes, that just goes with the culture, m8. dance music scenes are inclusive/welcoming if you actually do some of the work yourself. just lurk for a few months and use common sense lol.
>>
>>66211379

Spoonfeeding is bad and does no community any favors.
>>
>>66211379

literally nothing wrong with this
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 592x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 592x676
Im going to join /trad/
>>
>>66205779
>they can't even explain what it is they like about noise and instead just get belligerent when asked
I bet you unironically believe that "texture" isn't a valid reason to enjoy noise.
>it is
>>
>>66211790
did you know everything perceived to be true in the world is "unironic"

seriously can you sensationalizing 15-year-olds stop saying this
>>
>>66211898
>implying people don't ironically tell people "textures" is an invalid reason to like music
>implying /mu/ doesn't love trolling /noise/ fans
>>
>>66211592
>>66211619
>>66211541
shouldn't they have some sort of resource with which to educate themselves with? Is it spoonfeeding to provide someone with a website address (like RYM or some music finding source) to find music themselves?
Are they actually doing something to make it so these people don't need spoonfeeding? Or do they just want an echo chamber of bantz?
>>
Does anyone remember /advanced/? Neither do i
>>
>>66212017
If you've got an internet connection(and you definitely have one if you're posting on 4chan) it is absurdly easy to find new music on your own. The options you have at your disposal are plentiful: record labels, affiliations between artists, reading up on the history of genres and artists, reading interviews with artists you like and seeing what they're into, various specialized blogs, various online publications covering specific music, DJ mixes and many more.

Anyone who depends on 4chan to spoonfeed them bit by bit deserves nothing but dissatisfaction. Like the other guy said, /bleep/ is perfectly friendly and enjoyable as long as you've got at least some level of familiarity with the music and the culture that surrounds it.
>>
>>66212017
>Is it spoonfeeding to provide someone with a website address (like RYM or some music finding source)
shouldn't this be well-know information? isn't this the whole point of the fucking sticky? generally the advice for people getting into /bleep/ is: lurk for a month or so and listen to all the links posted in the threads to learn what you like.

in any event, if this is your attitude then you're gonna have a real rough go at getting into dance music, lol. how you get to the good stuff is fucking digging yourself, being intuitive, and relying on instinctive/gut taste to get through the deluge of new music releases that come out each week (not even including new mixes, radio shows, live events etc). it's like, the whole philosophy of the "lifestyle" and i guess people who didn't grow up with it don't understand that...

>or do they just want an echo chamber of bantz
it's not really an echo chamber.. plenty of people have differing tastes. what makes it an echo chamber is when ppl with no critical thinking come in requesting shit or asking "if i like aphex twin, what should i listen to?" "where do i start with x genre." there was a point in time where shit like this flooded the general - the only time it stopped was when /bleep/ decided to quit indulging them.
>>
/aeg/
>>
>>66206452
This is some really shitty bait
>>
when was the last time there was even /noise/
>>
>>66205779
h̵̢̹̻͓̹̜̻͖̜̲͛̓̊ͣ͗́͐̔͘͝ͅẹ̛̦̤̠̇̂̈͐̋͑̏̍͐͆̎̊̀̄̈̚l̢̨̗̙̹̮͓͙͚͎̥̺̖̰̗̤ͥ̋̍ͨ̉ͩͦ͆ͩ̒ͤ̂̀l͕̲̜͎̼̳͉͎̯̯̺̣̻͉͎̻͛ͯ͌ͨ̍ͬ̇̆͒̉̿͗̈́̇ͥ̽͂̕͟ô̸̷̟̬̝͔̯̫̰͍̭̼̩̤̙̻̞͗̇̈̈́̈́̅ ̧͌ͮͤ͐̃ͧ́̃̍̓̍̽͋̆͒͗͏͖͓̞̪̘̕r̶̷̒̓͐̇͛ͧ̆̽̒ͯͨͪͥͨ̑͏̼͉͎̠̰̯͍a̩̤̬̬̟̗̩̙̱̤̳̲̰̱̜̭͗͛ͭ̍͘͠t̵̠̳̪͔̤̪̻͔̜͙̩̘̳̭̝͋͋ͯ̔͊̐̇͌ͯ͒͋́̏̿̅͋͝ͅo̧̢̤̻̼̲̜̟̣̍̈ͨ͐̿ͤ̊
̨̡̳͎̹͕͉͓̲͒͊ͮ̀ͤͮ̃̅͛̉̅̀̃̽̀ͅ
>>
>>66213420
Today
>>
>>66213535
fuck you're right, that was terrible, end /noise/
>>
>>66209433
>>66213733
i don't see why people take the bad /noise/ threads so much to heart. It's pointless. It's reaching /kpop/ levels of obsession of their perception of how bad it is, yet no one cares about /metal/ being literally memes and reaching bump limit within hours of nothing but shitposting.
>>
>>66214454
see
>>66208383
imo the point of a general is to discuss things other than just /mu/core artists and /noise/ can't do that. it's like if /metal/ only ever talked about burzum, sleep, electric wizard, boris, etc.
/noise/ is completely useless
>>
Anybody know what happened to /shugazi/?
>>
>>66214932
it can, it's just no one cares to.
>>
>>66214932
to be fair, /classical/ only discusses bach, beethoven, and mozart, maybe legiti sometimes.
>>
who /kpg/ here?
>>
>>66215448
No one
>>
@66215466
shut up kid
>>
File: 1452689162655.jpg (267 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
1452689162655.jpg
267 KB, 1000x670
>>66215448
Kpop General represent, son
>>
Once I stayed up all day checking /metal/ throughout and I noticed a very blatant improvement in the quality of the posts while America was asleep.
>>
>>66206381
>/jp/ embassy

lmao perfect description
>>
seems like out of all the generals kpg is the only one that can take a joke
>>
>>66215574
that's because kpg IS the joke
>>
Weebs will ruin /comp/ desu
>>
>>66215601
xD
>>
any bleepman in
>>
>>66206381
Hahaha that's perfect
>>
>>66211627
when will you finally leave?
>>
>>66215565
/jp/ itself is a lot better than kpop general though
>>
Best:
GBV General
Worst:
This thread
>>
>>66215529
they look like children...
>>
>>66210781
nice /comp/
meme
>>
>>66212052
What was that?

>>66214454
>yet no one cares about /metal/ being literally memes and reaching bump limit within hours of nothing but shitposting.
Please don't pour salt in my wounds
>>
File: yerjukissu.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yerjukissu.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VKcLPdY9lI
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.