[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
reminder that music theory is unneccesary and stupid. its over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (77 KB, 280x261) Image search: [Google]
image.png
77 KB, 280x261
reminder that music theory is unneccesary and stupid. its over compensating for lack of creativity and emotion, so you spend your life learning complex theory so that you can prove your artistic credibility without having the genuine humanity and spontanety of making music. meme theory needs to stop being overblown. Basic theory and an ear for music is all you need.
>>
POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>66195280
Reminder that the last guy to make that claim on /mu/ posted this as an example of how successful he was without theory: https://soundcloud.com/the-bamboo-shoots/time-runs-money-funds

Literally shit.

NON-THEORY FAGS LITERALLY BTFO
>>
>>66195280
That is fucking retarded
>>
>>66195280
Jesus, I'm sorry I wanted to learn how to play trumpet
>>
>>66195280
nobody who's said this has ever made good music
>>
(You)
>>
>>66195351
maybe you can learn by playing my anus a little hehheh PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
>>
>>66195369
yeah but theres too many artists with minimal to none theory knowledge...Swans, MBV, AnCo, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Cocteau Twins, The Microphones, Deerhunter.
>>
reminder that every artist you loved knew theory whether consciously or unconsciously.

geniuses know theory on either a conscious or unconscious level. concious = mozart, many classical composers, unconscious = mccartney/wilson/lennon, pop composers.

on both levels it's intuitive, but on someone who's knowledgeable in theory, they hear it in their head and then they can quickly figure out what they're doing. nobody fucking goes "yeah i want it to sound happy so....major...and i want this section to modulate to the relative minor...", they just do what sounds best. theory is descriptive not prescriptive
>>
>>66195588
>those bands have no theory knowledge
If they play their instruments, they have theory knowledge. You guys are retarded, music theory is literally just Keys and scales, the only need for it to get more complex than that is in serialism and counterpoint.
>>
>>66195731
I said minimal too, and exactly I think thats what OP is trying to explain
>>
>>66195763
>and exactly I think thats what OP is trying to explain
op is shitposting and you feel for it
>>
>>66195731
serialism and genres that are based entirely on theory to the point of disregarding sound or not even knowing what a piece will sound like until it's done (aleatoric music) are the only instances where you NEED theory to write a piece. theory is something people use to describe what's happening in a piece, not a tool used to write a piece
>>
>>66195671
Are you saying that because I don;t like rusted swing sets playing in my music that I don;t even deserve to listen to music? How fucking useless are you? Do you just sit around and listen to music all day, judging people who respectfully say they don;t like one song you offered them? I bet you think of yourself as an artist, listening to all of your rusty swings and random moaning in your """Music""". And using the argument "Everyone else on this board listens to it, so you should to" and calling it "Normal" doesn't do anything for your """argument""". How fucking idiotic do you have to be to try to defend rusty hinge sounds as "music"? Are you that delusional? Fucking drink bleach, I can't believe that you are being serious. This is almost as bad as the /v/ hive mind.
>>
>>66195982
m8 either you're in the wrong thread or you've gone insane
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.