[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A sense of peace has come over me. Today I am ready to accept
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: robert_fripp.jpg (89 KB, 533x547) Image search: [Google]
robert_fripp.jpg
89 KB, 533x547
A sense of peace has come over me. Today I am ready to accept that prog rock is dead.
>>
but he's not dead
>>
Who cares? Good releases are far in the past.
>>
>>66185260
le strong generation
>>
Go to bed dad
>>
>>66184614
Prog Rock's not dead, it just gets called different genres now, like Art Rock or Post-Rock, because people don't like accepting they're listening to Prog.
>>
>>66185297
Who cares about your le meme.
>>
>>66184625
He is a shambling zombie from a bygone age.
>>
>>66185297
Obviously there's not going to be some weird plague that kills off people's ability to produce notable art in music, but, sorry, 1969-1972 was simply the best three year span in music.
>>
Prog rock branched off into post rock and math rock, while the "prog rock" that still gets made is far from progressive.
>>
>>66185463
Prog is maximalist rock, post rock is minimalist rock. They have similar intensions but post rock is patient and textural
>>
What defines prog-rock?
Like, in what way is Lark's Tongue part 2 or Fracture in the same genre as Supper's Ready or Dancing with the Moonlit Knight?
is Gentle Giant prog rock?
>>
>>66185683
I can just tell you like post rock better.
>>
>>66185581
>while the "prog rock" that still gets made is far from progressive.
so is post and math rock. hell most math rock bands are borderline elevator music nowadays

we need to go deeper
>>
>>66185683
do you even know what post rock is
>>
>>66184614
Here have some modern prog rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldT9oTKSEGU
>>
This is a little bit off-topic, but where is the best music that's being made today? I usually don't discover the best stuff a decade had to offer until that decade is over, which is a drag. What is to the 10's that prog was to the 70's and post rock was to the 90's? The best albums I've heard out of this decade are mostly from artists who were at their best in the 2000's but are still pretty good, so what's the stuff that's really new and important right now?
>>
>>66185912
The new Swans albums i would say.
>>
File: 314853.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
314853.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>66185843
More modern prog from the same album :v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MrEImdrG4A
>>
>>66185800
this guy gets it.
>>
>>66185683
>post rock is minimalist rock.

Then why does it overlap with math?
>>
>>66185745
there's times that you want something with timbre and times where you want dense and huge music, spacious airy music can get boring after a while.
>>66185830
what would be your definition?
>>66185800
pretty correct, modern math rock is so clean and boring instrumentally, no consideration for the sound of the music at all - just the technicality of it.
>>
>>66185683
There's plenty of prog thats "patient and textural"
Discipline and 80s KC in general is an obvious example
>>
>>66185912
Australian psych, and even it is middling at its average
>>
>>66186092
there's not too many times where it overlaps, like spiderland isn't that mathy, and the time signatures of spiderland don't add to the post-rock nature of the music, like the song dynamics or patience of playing
>>
>>66185683
no prog is fucking progressive rock. does Moonchild sound maximalist to you?
>>
>>66186329
You're right about moonchild, and >>66186204 you're right about the songs in discipline
I'm thinking more of bands like Yes when saying it's maximalist music, I guess they can't be considered the one true definition of prog though.

What would you guys consider the difference to be then?
>>
>>66186391
i would not consider there to be a difference between post rock and prog rock in anything but name. Progressive rock is rock music that progresses the genre or pushes beyond the bounds of what we call rock without completely losing its footing.
>>
>>66186391
Well math rock certainly is minimalist, but prog can be too. I honestly can't say what the difference is, maybe there isn't a real line and its only distinguisable by how the band is presented by era and by labels and fans.
>>
>>66186527
BINGO
>>
>>66185912

Well, you can check the charts for best albums of the year years and decades in RYM(you can separate it by genres, as well), best ever albums,albumoftheyear, etc.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.