[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/noise/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 16
File: A-857451-1340599239-1966.jpeg.jpg (14 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
A-857451-1340599239-1966.jpeg.jpg
14 KB, 225x300
It's the /noise/ thread.

>Harsh noise coffees
>Harsh noise sodas
>Harsh noise smoothies

First for Mossy Throats. Microbe Shower fucking rips.
>>
File: inside.jpg (159 KB, 587x600) Image search: [Google]
inside.jpg
159 KB, 587x600
sodie pop
>>
haven't into noise yet, gonna listen to pulse demon then be disappointed and listen to something else cya
>>
>>66178394
that's cool Pulse Demon's a good album but also check out Pittsburgh, PA by Macronympha before you give up that album is GOAT
>>
bump

where have all the noise bros gone?
>>
File: spread.jpg (641 KB, 1640x1000) Image search: [Google]
spread.jpg
641 KB, 1640x1000
Coffee
>>
>Coffee with cream and a little sugar

I listened to Incapacitants - No Progress earlier. It was pretty good, though I prefer As Loud As Possible.
>>
Rec me an album that can reignite my interest in noise, I have kinda lost it :(
>>
>>66179024
Check out some Koufar stuff, especially Lebanon For Lebanese.
>>
What is the most harsh noise soda brand
>>
File: leninade.jpg (169 KB, 434x576) Image search: [Google]
leninade.jpg
169 KB, 434x576
>>66179096
>>
Started the day with some iced coffee for a change

Anyone here explore ubuweb? I stumbled on their Electronic Music Resources and they have some pretty cool /noise/ relevant articles. http://www.ubu.com/emr/index.html
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 1200x1200
hey guys
>>
>>66179471
I'm listening to that right now. First track is fucking gorgeous.
>>
>>66179024
not exactly pure noise, but Ive been digging Pete Swanson - Punk Authority lately.
>>
>>66179956
Not exactly what I was looking for, but still cool nevertheless.
>>
What has Sam McKinlay been doing all year?
>>
I dont ge it, you just listen to noise? whats the point it just sounds bad and its not even music.
>>
huh, i didn't know anyone on 4chan gave a shit about noise
anyone here order the new gods of tundra tapes? i never thought i'd see that label back in action again

>>66180215
not much, only a few releases out so far
the rita performed at incubate though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTuHQiQJNcQ
>>
>>66180236
most, if not all of us disagree.
>>
>>66179471
hey this is cool
>>
>>66180284
haha sam you big perv :')
>>
So what do you guys think about the new Gerogerigegege album? I loved it. Great atmosphere.
>>
>>66180236
>it sounds bad
Nice meme
>>
>>66180421
The fuck, how did I miss this? I'll put it on after >>66179471
>>
>>66180421
the definitive poseurcore album of 2016
>>
>>66180421
not great, IMO.
Too quiet.
>>
>>66178976
That album is sick. Anyone know any similar horror noise wall?
>>
File: 1406301273668.jpg (48 KB, 810x540) Image search: [Google]
1406301273668.jpg
48 KB, 810x540
helloooo

i wasn't into music since july 2015
now i wanna restore the blanks
what are definin noise records from 15-16 i've missed ?

so far i listened (and loved)

John Wiese - Deviate From Balance
Kazuma Kubota - Utsuroi
Sightnings - Amusers and Puzzlers
Sissy Spacek - Brath
Prurient - Cocaine Daughter
Rutger Zuydervelt - Sneeuwstorm
Grunt - Myth of Blood
Lescalleet's TIWID series
VA - Vampyric Screams...

(about to listen to hijokaidan projects)

These were kind of mixedbags for me

Frank Bretschneider - Sinn + Form
Damien Dubrovnik - Vegas Fountain
Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls
On a Business Trip to London - s/t
Merzbow + Xiu Xiu MERZXIU
Kevin Drumm - Syzygial
JOJO広重 - Jojo
>>
>>66179024
If you feel burnt out on noise, I think the best way to approach the problem is to listen to one of your personal favorites at a very loud volume
If that doesn't do the trick, it's probably time to take a break and listen to some shoegaze or whatever
>>
>>66180482
>too quiet
That seems like a lousy complaint. I guess it isn't as noise as their early output and uses more drone/musique concrete techniques.
>>66180475
Huh?
>>
>>66180685
One of these days I'm going to record the Tornado siren they test every week and make something with it.
>>
>>66180685
I think he means that any "real" fan would know gero were more relevant in the 80s so it seems pretty entry level to be like "ooh look at the new gero album" because you're just looking at a new release by an entry level artist. Sort of like "oh hey did you hear the new genocide organ?" That's not my perspective on the matter, it's just a perspective I can understand, and I in fact have not heard their new release. Can anyone describe it in some detail?
>>
yo!

what up??
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Anyone working on any cool projects these days? Any gear to show off? I got my new pedal today so that's pretty nice.
>inb4 ew rhythm wolf
>inb4 lmao nice meme pedal
They're not perfect pieces of equipment but they're very useful for my intents and purposes
>>
File: GalacticTornado.png (319 KB, 515x458) Image search: [Google]
GalacticTornado.png
319 KB, 515x458
>>66178394
>haven't into noise yet, gonna listen to pulse demon
Bad idea. Check out Galactic Tornado instead. Much better.
>>
>>66178394
Pulse Demon is not a good introduction to noise, I dunno why /mu/ says it is
listen to something less abrasive, like some drone music or maybe Jason Lescalleet stuff like Air Supply
>>
Important links to other noise related websites:
forum.noiseguide.com
noisewiki.com

>>66184444
>I dunno why /mu/ says it is
Because we like tricking people into listening to things they will hate.
>>
File: Gensho.jpg (119 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Gensho.jpg
119 KB, 300x300
How cool is it that the current AOTY is 50% noise???
>>
>>66184547
it's 100% noise if you would listen to it properly
>>
Has anyone made an essentials list, or maybe a flow chart?

I haven't listened to very much harsh noise, but I've enjoyed what little I have.
>>
These threads are and always will be cancer.
When it comes to dilettantism and almost comical levels of ignorance regarding the thread's chosen subject, the only other thread that has /noise/ beat is /daily/.
/mu/ and discussion of left-field music unrelated to the current Pitchfork hype cycle or established pop/rock mythology just don't mix. It's always either a dickswinging contest(which is unfortunate since as far as the level of knowledge of these niche genre goes, pretty much nobody posting on this board has much of a dick to swing and are just posting shit that's fed to them by superficial /mu/ charts or RYM lists) or people who legitimately don't know anything about the things they're trying to talk about, or a mix of both.
>>
>>66184731
And then you have people like this
>>
>>66184731
>you don't appreciate art 'correctly'
>cancer
>>
>>66184717
I'm waiting for my friend to set up his dual vinyl player setup so we can do it all on vinyl.
>>
>>66184755
It's true though. I've been occasionally checking into these threads ever since they began which was like 2 years ago at this point, and I haven't seen an iota of improvement in all that time.
I just don't understand how it's possible for them to remain this shitty and vapid all this time, especially considering that the very nature of the genre encourages people to do their own research and extensively explore it.

>>66184802
I thought the point of general threads was that they were supposed to be a place for people with a deeper and more involved interest in something than the average casual listener though, and going through most of the other genre generals on this board it is apparent that the people in them do have a pretty decent grip on their subject of discussion.
That can't be said for /noise/ though. These threads perpetually feel like the only people posting in them just discovered noise 2 months ago in a "creepy music" thread on /mu/.
>>
>>66184962
>the only people posting in them just discovered noise 2 months ago

That's because anyone who listens to noise longer than that gets convinced into committing suicide.
>>
Newbie here

I haven't listened to a lot of noise, just some stuff by Prurient, Drumm, a lot of Erstwhile Records stuff, and Wolf Eyes, and I really enjoyed most of it, but I'm finding it kind of difficult to find new stuff, where should I go from here? Relief was my favorite album of what I listened to. Sorry to ask to be spoonfed.
>>
>>66184962
People in the other generals don't know anything either
>>
>>66185329
see
>>66184392
>>66184547
>>
>>66185158
haha

>>66185277
nah, the shittiest part of noise threads is that people keep forcing them into the general thread format when there's clearly not enough interest or knowledge around to sustain a general
ive had some pretty good chats about noise on this board, but not many of them were in /noise/

>>66185329
prurient and almost all members of wolf eyes, past or present, run their own record labels and collaborate a ton with other artists. i suggest starting with those labels or the artists they collaborated with.
i always recommend that people just follow that line of exploration and go through label catalogs or ties the artists they're into have to other artists rather than just telling them to listen to a different merzbow album or a different john olson project
>>
>>66184444
>Pulse Demon is not a good introduction to noise
>>66184507
>Because we like tricking people into listening to things they will hate
>we

What are you fucking stupid or something? You have to have a down syndrome to say that Pulse Demon isn't a good introductory LP to the genre

It isn't exactly full on abrasive to the upper limit and it shows perfectly that noise isn't just TV static. It also has some 10/10 textures that are really powerful

What do you two stooges recommend is a good album
>>
>>66184731
Nice contribution to the topic, dickhead
Go back to your basement
>>66185329
I would personally recommend branching out to P.E. or drone to see if it sticks
Also Sissy Spacek is great
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvSWhiJNF0

is this even harsh noise?
has a good rhythm and everything
>>
>>66187040
Whatever it is, it's fucking great
>>
>>66187040
Wow when is Venetian Snares gonna get sued for copying Stairway to Heaven?
>>
>>66186873
>It isn't exactly full on abrasive to the upper limit and it shows perfectly that noise isn't just TV static.
>It also has some 10/10 textures that are really powerful

See? This is what I'm talking about when I'm talking about /noise/ not actually having a clue about noise.
This dude is blatantly just regurgitating the terms he has seen (over)used on this board when people attempt to discuss noise without having any real idea about what they mean or how they apply to noise music, and in this case he's using those terms while talking about an album to which they absolutely do not apply in any meaningful way.
It's this level of continued laziness and ignorance that's just baffling to me. That you people can keep making these threads and posting in them while not bothering to gain any more educated or context-aware perspective on it for all that time. What's the point, honestly?

>>66187008
>branching out to P.E. or drone
>Also Sissy Spacek is great

So, branching out to one genre which has always had pretty loose ties to noise and which only gets thrown into the same basket as noise because of lazy journalism and a crossover between audiences, one genre which has no ties to noise or its audience at all and one band which every aspiring avant-teen on this board has heard ages ago(though none of them have went any deeper into their discography beyond a single meme album)?
Shut up, please.

>>66187040
Noise and harsh noise are not the same thing.
>>
>>66186873
Pulse Demon is good introduction to Harsh Noise, but this isn't a Harsh Noise general, it's just a Noise general. If someone is trying to get into Noise for the first time, don't start with Harsh Noise.
>>
>>66187288
how do i learn how to discuss noise and harsh noise in a meaningful way
>>
File: all that shit byYou.jpg (49 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
all that shit byYou.jpg
49 KB, 392x500
>>66187288
Why are you this triggered about a simple comment that you have to go on a giant rant
>>
>>66187423
By reading /noise/ ofc.

>>66187484
>giant rant

It took me like 2-3 minutes to type all that shit out, not really a world class effort.
>>
>>66187538
>by reading /noise/ ofc.
i actually agree with what you're saying regarding most noise-related discourse here, and on /mu/ in general, being particularly unsatisfying so i'd appreciate if you gave me a sincere response
>>
>>66187423
Read /noise/ literature
Watch /noise/ documentaries and interviews
Make /noise/ yourself

And of course, listen to more Noise!
>>
>>66187618
It really is just as simple as reading up on the genre and on the shit that you're listening to, and thinking about what it is you're actually hearing and how it relates to the last thing that you've heard.
There's nothing complicated about it at all as long as you've got genuine enthusiasm for it, which is what makes the stagnant and ignorant nature of these threads all the more annoying.
>>
Would anyone be interested in hearing my noise?
>>
>>66187916
I am
>>
>>66187945
Thanks, anon. God bless you

https://soundcloud.com/tungstencobalt/we-are-not-alone-no1
Fresh off the oven
>>
>>66187833
how would you describe your favorite noise release
>>
>>66179471
what is it? google search only returns fridges...
>>
>>66188821
https://totalblack.bandcamp.com/album/under-the-roman-clamour
>>
Could someone recommend some interesting percussion based noise?
>>
>>66188134
I don't have a favorite noise release.
I don't think I could cut it down to a compact list of favorites either, the nature of the genre and the way that often abstract motivations and influences end up producing results which can even just on a sonic level(not even gonna be getting into the multimedia aspect that so many noise makes extensive use of) be approached either with a lot of attention given to those abstractions or on a purely direct and visceral, head-on level(which is still not to say that the most obvious visceral aspect is all that should be focused on or acknowledged, or that there's nothing to say about it beyond commenting on its volume; even as far as the nature of a noise record's potential extremity goes I'd say that any artist worth a shit will carve out his own identity and constantly develop its individuality further) results in there being a lot more room for very extensive and sprawling personal canons than there is in more simplistic and accessible music, motivation-wise.
There's a lot of space for personal obsession with very specific elements when it comes to noise, a good recording can be as simple or as complex as the listener may want it to be at the moment.
>>
File: merzbow-rainbow_electronics_2.jpg (25 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
merzbow-rainbow_electronics_2.jpg
25 KB, 600x594
>>66186873
It isn't even the best Merzbow album 2bh
>>
File: merzbro.png (317 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
merzbro.png
317 KB, 500x447
>>66188911
List top ten merzbow albums
>>
>>66184547
feels good.
>>
>>66188953
are collabs allowed?
>>
>>66188861
Merzbeat comes to mind.

There was also some percussive noise floating around the bandcamp threads last year but I forget the artists name.
>>
>>66188953
watch him name the 5 merzbow albums he's heard and then add another random 5 to the list lmao
>>
>>66188953
1. Rainbow Electronics 2
2. 1930
3. Flare Gun
4. Hybrid Noisebloom
5. Atsusaku
6. Keio Line
7. Amlux
8. Antimonument
9. Noisembryo
10. Dharma
>>
>>66189022
>>66189023
lol
>>
>>66188861
see
>>66179956
also Winterkalte-structures of destruction.
>>
>>66189092
>Winterkalte-structures of destruction.
Really good. Thanks anon
Not exactly percussion based as much as generally rhythmic but I like it
>>
>>66187423
don't mention textures or you'll get called a poser
>>
File: confused nigger mii edition.png (350 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
confused nigger mii edition.png
350 KB, 600x600
>>66189346
I hate this meme
>>
File: tar soda.jpg (76 KB, 392x740) Image search: [Google]
tar soda.jpg
76 KB, 392x740
>>66179096
>>
>>66189405
the "i listen to it for the textures" thing is a good example of how little the dudes here know about noise t b h
when /noise/ first began people would regularly come in here and go "wtf is this shit shit why are you listening to it" and none of the posters here who claimed to like noise really knew what to say to that because none of them were listening to noise for very long at all.
like i legit remember there being one, ONE semi-decent thread about noise back in the summer of 2014, just one fucking thread on a board which generally didn't pay much attention to noise, and then /noise/ spinning off out of that one fucking thread. there was no larger amount of interest to noise on mu, no sort of consistency in noise threads being made before the start of the general, nothing. just one single thread.

and then dudes come in here and wonder why /noise/ blows lel. of course its gonna blow.

and anyway, a couple of tripfags(i think those may have actually been doc brown and xernon but my memory's pretty muddy) started to parrot the "t-the textures!" response every single time no matter what album or artist people reacted to and no matter how much of a focus on texture over other elements that artist's shit had, and everyone else started to follow suit and think that was an adequate answer to every question. the textures bro, the textures!

i still think most of the people here who talk about noise and textures don't even know how the two fit together lmao.
>>
>pulse demon isn't close at all to merzbow's best work, generally is not one of the better releases in the noise realm, and the sole reasons it's regarded or stands out is because the memorable album artwork
How true is this?
>>
>>66189860
Who gives a fucking shit man
It really is a beautiful artwork though, I'll give credit where its due
>>
>>66189795
>a couple of tripfags(i think those may have actually been doc brown and xernon but my memory's pretty muddy) started to parrot the "t-the textures!" response
I think this was that one dude from /metal/ who kept spamming Trash Bazooka
>>
>>66179024
Pedestrian Deposit - Fatale
Macronympha - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Skin Crime - Eyestrain
Richard Ramirez - Rush
>>
>>66189795
What a shitty post. Texture is a perfectly fine reason to enjoy a piece of noise.

>>66188088
I like this quite a bit. Sometimes I feel like it switches between tones too quickly though. It could easily be stretched out to over 9 minutes and it would actually make it better imo.

>>66188854
Some of the best bandcamp noise I've heard in a while.
>>
>>66190150
>I like this quite a bit.
Thank you for listening and for the criticism. I actually prefer long tracks myself, No.2 will have to be longer.

Why not give my other songs a listen, anon?
>>
>>66190203
>Why not give my other songs a listen, anon?
Because I'm busy listening to Boris.
>>
>>66189795
what do you listen to noise for then? You seem to know a lot about the subject.

I listen primarily for the feeling noise imparts. That is accomplished through "texture" regardless of your view. Feeling is also imparted through compositional elements, and dynamics of said textures. You can have suble looping textures which create a rhythm. You can have chaotic, ever changing textures to keep you on edge. You can have hypnotic drones of texture.

"Texture" just wraps all that up into a word. Timbre is a better word if you are particularly snobbish, and I think that's what people mean when they say texture.

Stop spewing the. "no trye scottsman" fallacy in noise threads as well, it is a tired "argument"
>>
>>66190227
Awww. Okay
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 470x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 470x683
I find the multimedia component of noise releases to be one of my favorite qualities. I enjoy interesting packaging, like MSBR has done (and ahlzagailzehguh to some extent, pic related) but I think it's really just visual and conceptual motifs that excite me the most. That's why The Rita has been one of the most intriguing acts to me, since I first saw the cover of sea wolf leviathan. Despite being pretty entry level I can't see myself ever getting tired of his stuff
>>
>>66184962
>I thought the point of general threads was that they were supposed to be a place for people with a deeper and more involved interest in something than the average casual listener though, and going through most of the other genre generals on this board it is apparent that the people in them do have a pretty decent grip on their subject of discussion.
they don't and you're lying or stupid if you think otherwise.
>>
>>66190538
rhat ahlz tape is insane, probably my favorite harsh noise release of last year
i have no idea how much further he can take the cut-up approach after such a release, he's got it totally perfected right now
you getting the new phocomelus/mania split tape that james is putting out?
>>
File: R-2788507-1301073091.jpeg.jpg (26 KB, 324x322) Image search: [Google]
R-2788507-1301073091.jpeg.jpg
26 KB, 324x322
anyone have this? there's hardly any rips available from M.B.'s label, that sucks
>>
>>66191644
sorry bub.
>>
>>66190538
>multimedia component of noise releases to be one of my favorite qualities.
This for sure.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.