[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good music based movies? Just watched pic related and loved it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
Good music based movies?

Just watched pic related and loved it.
>>
>>66177384
Control
>>
>>
>>66177397

Was wanting something other than actual documentaries/bio movies about real people but seems ok.
>>
>>66177384
Can you give any reason why you loved it?
>>
>>66177438

I found his silly master funny xD
>>
>>66177384
Good taste my man, does that movie have a cd?
>>
>>66177384
This is Spinal Tap. The Anvil documentary is also genius as it's a real life Spinal Tap.
>>
>>66177452

Mask*
>>
This movie is the shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVPVbc8LgP4
>>
>>66177384
The Slint doc was pretty cool and insightful. I had no clue they were so young when they put Spiderland out. Also their guitarist David Pajo Was part of Tortoise, and their drummer Britt Walford did work for the Breeders
>>
>>66177438
the sex scene was v relatable
>>
>>66177636

I want to fuck maggie so badly
>>
File: Inside-Llewyn-Davis1.jpg (50 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
Inside-Llewyn-Davis1.jpg
50 KB, 1280x854
>>
24 Hour Party People
>>
>>66177651
the only woman i would legitimately fuck
>>
love and mercy is a great film
>>
>>66177777
>>
Whiplash is the obvious 10/10

Almost Famous is okay, so is Vinyl on HBO. I've been meaning to watch Scorseses Harrison film and Shine a Light. Stop Making Sense is supposedly great as well.

Of course you've also got the biographic flicks like Control, The Doors and Runaways - haven't seen them but they're supposedly quite weak all of them. You're probably better off watching documentaries such as Amy or Searching for Sugarman if you wanna get your music kick.
>>
>>66177837
Whiplash is a painfully inaccurate portrayal of everything musical though, even if it was a great movie in its own right
>>
Almost famous
>>
>>66178858
It was clearly not going for accuracy though. It's pretty obvious that the musical aspect of the film is just a vehicle for the story, and a brilliantly told one at that.
>>
>>66178943
For what it's worth I do agree with you senpai

The only reason I say anything is because I know several jazz players who almost unanimously say it's virtually impossible for them to watch because of how inaccurate it is
>>
>>66178992
That's fair enough; there's no way it would appeal to everyone. What exactly is inaccurate about it that may be surprising to someone? Yknow, besides the whole "driving a student to suicide/becoming a mental and emotional wreck" thing?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-5io1muSQ
>>
File: Nashville-B.jpg (277 KB, 1178x1600) Image search: [Google]
Nashville-B.jpg
277 KB, 1178x1600
>>66177384
>>
>>66177384
popstar is pretty good if you dont take it seriously
>>
>>66179230
I wish I enjoyed it as much as others, I really didn't find it funny at all. Whenever someone describes this film its hilarious
>>
>>66179229
It's mostly the way it portrays the study of jazz itself

Fletcher would never have made it that far regardless of how good his students turned out to be, and Neiman never practises with other students outside of Fletcher's tutored sessions, which is basically mandatory in any serious musical study

It won't sound like much to someone who hasn't studied jazz, and that's totally fine because it shouldn't detract from the fact that it's an outright fantastic movie, but it's enough to break the immersion of someone who has an intimate understanding of the subject matter
>>
File: 024543076346.jpg (221 KB, 1356x1905) Image search: [Google]
024543076346.jpg
221 KB, 1356x1905
>>
>>66179274
The problem is that people never really accurately convey the kind of humor you should expect from it.

It's not funny so much as it's witty; it takes absurd circumstances and plays them completely straight.
A great deal of the humor also comes from the fact that it's a surprisingly accurate representation of life as a touring rock band in the 80's. There's several accounts of musicians being unable to watch the film or find anything funny about it because of how close to the truth it really was, most notably from Ozzy Osbourne.
>>
Inside Llewyn Davis. Saw it on HBO a while ago and thought it was pretty good.
>>
>>66179305
holy fuck no
>>
File: 10linda.600.jpg (60 KB, 600x280) Image search: [Google]
10linda.600.jpg
60 KB, 600x280
Linda Linda Linda is my favourite. Its like k-on with humans.
>>
24 Hour Party People
>>
>>66177671
This
>>
>>66178992
>>66179296
>Fletcher would never have made it that far regardless of how good his students turned out to be
idk what you mean by this

>>66179296
>Neiman never practises with other students
while this is true you might chalk this up to the uber-toxic competitive environment the teacher created. I don't think not showing that stuff makes it unrealistic since the point was to emphasis his individual work which musicians at that level must realistically undergo anyway. Also, I would be skeptical of your friends. It sounds like a case of people being knit picky about shit for ego massaging rather than informed critical evaluation.

Plus if there's a difference between being a jazz student and being one at the best jazz school in the country. I know a music teacher at my school who went to Berkley and she told us stories about the students being so competitive and adversarial they actually put razor blades between piano keys.
>>
>>66179377
What about the K-On! movie?
>>
>>66179465
humans.

Im gonna be real iv only watched 2 episodes of k-on. Its on my list dow.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.