[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is so good about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Garden_of_Delete.jpg (21 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
Garden_of_Delete.jpg
21 KB, 560x560
This isn't bait, I'm genuinely curious. I listened to it this morning for the 1st time, and I struggled with it. Obviously it needs multiple listens, and I have enjoyed OPN before, but this just sounded like a confused mess on 1st listen.

It's not about experimentation, because I like experimental music, but I just couldn't pin this down at all, or find much in it to enjoy.

Genuinely hoping someone can help me, say with ideas of what to listen for when I try it again, or what about it it is that they like.
>>
>>66176840
Anyone? I would genuinely like to have some direction with this.
>>
>>66177227
Listen to Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens it makes the whole thing make sense. You're welcome. Xx
>>
>>66177262
I love Tea for the Tillerman, would you mind expanding on the connection?
>>
it's supposed to be a bit of a concept album about navigating adolescence in some wacko alternate reality where "hypergrunge" and big room techno sort of coexist in the mainstream in the 90s - so just try to view it thru that lens. it's an incoherent mess cus it's something that a soda-pop addicted teen with a.d.d. who plays video games all day would listen to.

hope that helps lol
>>
>>66177303
Ahahaha fucking hell, are you meant to pick that up just from listening to it!?

Thank you very much, that's an angle to get into it with.
>>
It's okat to not like things, anon. I'm an OPN fanboy and I hated it.
>>
I really liked Eccojams but I'm having a hard time getting into Lopatin's other work. Where should I start?
>>
>>66177364
Of course, but I'd obviously love to like it if possible - having one more thing to like in the world can't be a bad thing!
>>
>>66177358
>are you meant to pick that up just from listening to it
unfortunately not. this is honestly my biggest issue with opn - he has a lot of interesting concepts but often he relies on extramusical sources (mostly interviews) to fully expand upon and explain these ideas in a cogent manner.

however there are definitely some clues: the guitar on crops up on many of the tracks which points to the grunge/nu-metal references, as well as the edm/big room influence on tracks like 'sticky drama'. then you have the fact that on tracks like 'lift' and parts of 'mutant standard' seem to recall ps1 demos/loading screens. really what he was trying to do what take all these "undesirable" sounds (cheesy trance/edm stabs and angsty nu-metal) and reframe them in context where they become interesting or even beautiful. this is a common theme in his work (most notably on r+7) and he continues to explore that here.
>>
>>66177493
That's really helpful, thanks anon, I'll certainly give it a couple more tries.
>>
>>66177358
you can pick that up from the ARG and the interviews that surrounded the album's release
>>
>>66176840
I think it's one of his weaker albums. Doesn't go far enough in any particular direction and some of the directions it does go in have been done better in his previous work. The concept of adolescence also doesn't feel like it's explored as well as how Replica and Eccojams explored memory and media. Like, with GOD, OPN just threw in a sample of a kid talking and some lyrics, so like, I guess it's about childhood?
>>
>>66177291
um. the connection might not be something that anyone else can hear, and i'm almost entirely sure it's not intended, but for me they're the best companion records ever, they play off of each other so well.

the connections i find are mainly concerned with the emotional range covered on the songs. Lopatin and Stevens both perfectly capture what it's like to not understand how adults think and to be angered by that. They also delve into love and loving, although that's definitely subjective depending on how you interpret songs like Mutant Standard, Lift and No Good. (No Good is Sad Lisa, wanting to help someone who is distraught and revealing your own sadness in your wanting)

also I can't shake how similar in structure a lot of the songs are.

i'm also very likely insane, the month that Garden of Delete came out the only other record i listened to was TftT and my boyfriend died.
>>
>>66177713
Wow, I'm very sorry for your loss. I've not listened to TftT for a while, I'll dig it out and listen before GoD again. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>66177393
Replica and R+7. I think Replica was the easiest to get into, but R+7 was my favorite.
>>
>>66177303
so it's vaporwave?
>>
>>66177713
tits or gtfo
>>
>>66178728
i'm a guy
>>
>>66178728
Fucking hell, someone tells you their partner has recently died and that's your response? Fucking moron.
>>
If only the whole album sounded like Ezra. That super disjointed loop of 'Ezra' at the start got me hype for some sparse experimental nonsense, and that jazzy bass vst in the comedown was sweet.
But then I got sticky drama...
>>
>>66179082
sticky drama is the "single"

rest of the album is not bad at all, Child of Rage and Freaky Eyes are especially good.
>>
>>66179082
I used to hate Sticky Drama as well, but it grew on me once I really started craving more "hypergrunge." Something about it is just really perfect for the concept he's going for and makes me want more, especially after seeing the two music videos that came with it.
>>
>>66176840

hypergrunge isn't for everyone
>>
>>66179082
Finally, someone else who loves Ezra. The best is when it switches to the section with the faster tempo, like there's a buildup, but it still comes out of nowhere
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.