[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is post-rock dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: MI0000298211.jpg (52 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
MI0000298211.jpg
52 KB, 500x448
Is post-rock dead?
>>
Pretty much. It really is a shame as Explosions in the Sky an G!YBE have turned it into crescendo-core, which is sad because while theres some great work that heavily emphasizes crescendos, there's no innovation
>>
Mama mia
>>
>>66171276
disagree, GY!BE's latest albums are not built around long crescendos anymore
>>
Godpees on You! Black faggot sucks
>>
>>66171706
I agree with that notion, but since many of the new acts coming out basically shamelessly rip off their more crescendo-oriented early albums and EPs, it's led to stagnation
>>
Nah, I'm reviving it.
>>
hope it does, slowly and to oblivion
>>
>>66171835
While I enjoy the scope of F#A# and LYSF, I think I like their new albums the most. Mladic and Worried Fire from Don't Bend Ascend can compete with Storm and Sleep, and their newest album is pretty good (other than the fact that half of the content is noise tracks).

Basically, they're releasing some of their best content ever right now, but that doesn't make for a great album. Merging Asunder Sweet with Don't Bend Ascend could make an awesome album.
>>
>>66171276
I think you are autistic if you think G!YBE's last release was at all crescendo-core. It was pretty great IMO.

But this year has bot been a good year for post rock. 1 classic band released a major let down and the coldplay of post rock released exactly what was expected of them.
>>
File: dLfPsSw.png (346 KB, 786x438) Image search: [Google]
dLfPsSw.png
346 KB, 786x438
MY SMILE IS STUCK
I CANNOT GO BACK TO YOUR FROWNLAAND
>>
>>66172587
which is the coldplay of post rock and which is the classic band?
>>
>>66171793
Except they beat you to the punch and called themself God's Pee. The Spine of Allelujah! Don't Bend, Ascend lists them as God's Pee.
>>
>>66172587
I didn't say it was crescendo-core, so settle down killer.

My point was that their earlier work, which featured more frequent crescendos, has been ripped by everyone and their mother.
>>
>>66172722
>now
I'd assume Coldplay is Explosions in the Sky and classic is GY!BE.
>>
>>66171211
In a sense yes, its unlikely that any bands in the genre will appear that match up with the talent and quality of the starter bands in the 90s like Slint, Swans, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and Mogwai.

In another sense, no, because post rock lends itself, by definition, to any number of different sounds and styles. Post rock by definition, is just rock played in a non-conventional format or with non-conventional instrumentation. The next groundbreaking post rock project could be just around the corner and we don't realize it yet.
>>
>>66172722
Explosions in the Sky.

>>66172779
I'd agree with that, but none of it comes close to the skill that they did it with and none of it features the field recording stuff that they did as well.
Godspeed is still a pretty damn unique band even with everyone attempting to copy their sound.

>>66172787
GY!BE did not put a album of this year.
Classic would be Tortoise
>>
Well, thanks god.

GYBE is some of the biggest horseshit I've ever had the displeasure to check out. The music is just as bad as the idiotic random-words-hudled-together band name indicates.

Only a bunch of pretentious twits could possibly name themselves that way. Attention-seekers but in the worst ways. "How do we become DIFFERENT? Let's be like the indie bands and give ourselves a stupid, meaningless name. That should get everyone talking about us, asking themselves, 'what are they trying to say? what cosmic truths lurk beneath the weird exterior of this mysterious band?' Ha! That bullshit works every time."

This is one of their many cretinous song titles: "ii. Gathering Storm / Il pleut à mourir (+Clatters Like Worry)". One of their albums is called "FA∞ (1995-1997)". Catch my drift? It's as though they need these long, moronic, meaningless titles to somehow help fill in the huge gaps of nothingness in their music, as if guiding the (very patient and presumably stoned) listener into the direction his hallucinations need to follow, once the LSD pill kicks in.

Instead of working out ways in which to finally give their fans some music for a change, these slackers waste their time pondering on where the exclamation mark in their stupid band name should be: they actually shifted the exclamation mark once, "changing" their name that way. Their fans must have discussed this hugely important move on fan forums for months thereafter. Damn, why can't I have the cheek to be a charlatan dilettante too, and separate people from their money by offering them nothing but random, pretentious hogwash?
>>
>>66173010

cont

A tip for anyone who has a brother, sister, aunt or spouse that has a hipster LP collection that includes bands such as Godsmack You! Pretentious Emperor: when this hipster relative/partner calls over some of his hipster friends for a visit, place a copy of ABBA's "Voulez-Vous" album right next to Godsmack You. Add Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" just for good measure. And then watch those hipster faces turn to horror and disappointment while your relative/partner stutters and stumbles, trying to weasel themselves out of this hipsterian fiasco.

To say this band is overrated is to miss the point. Godbless You! Sneezy Emperor is one of the worst bands on the planet. But I guess that alone could attract hipsters, sort of the way Ed Wood's "Plan 9" attracts attention. Speaking of which, there are people out there that actually believe that Ed Wood's classic gag-fest is a great, misunderstood movie. That reminds me of something.

It is rubbish such as this pretentious, overrated hipster drivel which infests charts with their high placements, rendering the charts unreliable and perhaps even useless.

Youu listen to it with certain expectations, then you realize it's garbage and you make the logical conclusion not to rely on the site's charts anymore. If only this were a rare occurrence, but it's happened to me countless times. What are the charts for? Hype, it seems, not as help for music fans to find great new music.

Thanks, hipsterdom, for that little gift to the internet. The gift of useless voting, hype voting.
>>
>>66172779
>frequent crescendos
I wish this meme would stop, they use dynamics but there were only one or two crescendos on each of their "crescendocore" albums (middle of East Hastings, toward the end of Providence, Moya (not a true crescendo), Storm (not a true crescendo), Static).
>>
>>66172722
>explosions in the sky
>swans
>>
>>66173035
idk man, I just listen for the beat
>>
why the eits hate? what do you think of their latest album? i've always enjoyed all of their stuff.
>>
>>66173035
is this you?
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Qwerty100
>>
>>66173173
its bland and derivative.
>>
>>66173202
what about mono? i think they are more "bland and derivative" than eits yet i hear no complaining about them.
>>
The best stuff today is post-rock fusion, not much pure post-rock has been worth checking out since 3rd-wave took over.
I think it will get better though. I want to see some more bands doing huge, dense walls of sound without focusing too much on buildups and cheesy "feels" melodies. Godspeed and Year of No Light's newest albums are what I think 4th-wave could sound like.
>>
>>66173194
Yes
>>
>>66173235
EITS attract most of the hate because they became the blueprint for every watered-down Godspeed clone that followed. I don't hate them though, they didn't know what they were unleashing. The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place is a solid album.
I've noticed a group who swear that Mono is better than other 3rd-wave but I can't get into them, makes me wonder if I'm missing something. The song they did on the split with The Ocean was great but their albums are so bland, even the World's End Girlfriend one that people swear by
>>
>>66173309
although i think mono is pretty bland, i do enjoy them, even tho most of their songs are 1-2 chord progressions crescendoing. i've seen the live twice and their sound was phenomenal.
>>
Idunno but it makes me wanna die
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.