[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on johnny smith from the smiths?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (279 KB, 1365x1369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
279 KB, 1365x1369
Thoughts on johnny smith from the smiths?
>>
Andy was a good smith, but their brother morris was a fuxk
>>
>>66160836
I prefer his brother Morrissey smith desu
>>
Quite shit with Morrissey tbqh.
>>
pretty shitty fit
>>
>>66160896
*Without
>>
>>66160806
What happened with Craig Smith? He showed up for a couple of singles then left. I think it was mean to betray their own brother like that.
>>
>>66161062
He was part of Morrissey solo for a while along with Mike and Andy, but Morrissey kicked them to the curb after Mike threatened to sue Moz.
>>
File: heterosexual males.jpg (165 KB, 758x718) Image search: [Google]
heterosexual males.jpg
165 KB, 758x718
>>66161365
i didn't know that andy and mike were part of morrissey's touring band.
i don't know why morrissey would kick andy and craig because mike smith was being a faggot who stole all his money.
>>
>>66161921
It was only very briefly at the start of his career, and on The Last of the Famous International Playboys. By the time there was the suing, they'd all moved on.
>>
>>66161921
The album Bona Drag was essentially a Smith album without Johnny Marr it had Andy, Mike, Craig and Stephen Street (The Smiths' producer)
>>
The best thing he did was get The Cribs noticed
>>
>>66160806
the smiths always sucked and always will suck
>>
>>66163721
And than make me dislike them because of the album he did with them.
>>
>>66160806
One of the most influential guitarists for indie rock and probs my favorite
>>
File: tumblr_mr0sl18fye1rvfns3o1_1280.jpg (347 KB, 1136x1302) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mr0sl18fye1rvfns3o1_1280.jpg
347 KB, 1136x1302
>>66164746
maybe to the millions
>>
Does he have anything worth listening to outside of The Smiths sans that Modest Mouse album?
>>
>>66164970
Not really no, he never had a good sense of musical direction.
>>
how the hell did he churn out classic after classic with the mozzer and then languish in rock purgatory for the rest of his career?
>>
>>66164970
I always wanted that Rasputin album
>>
>>66165112
electronic were pretty good desu
shit name though
>>
>>66165110
He doesn't have a good sense of musical direction.
>>
>>66164957
the way he plays is really intricate, and one of a kind. he put serious restrictions on his style for the sake of producing something distinct to him (no generic leads, no distortion, etc..he was very anti-rockist). Although he takes a hint from bands like the chameleons and television, i think its safe to say his style (inb4 strangeways) is pretty original.

Its easier to be influential when you're popular too, isn't it?
>>
>>66165110
Mostly because there was a long, long gap between his time in The Smiths and his solo career, and he didn't do a whole lot of songwriting in that time, just performing. The albums he performs on by Modest Mouse, The The etc. are all really good.
>>
>>66164970
>>66165110
some other anon pointed this out the other day, he was basically a session musician from 1988 to 2012. i have no idea why he would do this.
>>
did johnny smith write all the musical bits to the smiths' work, or just the guitar parts?
>>
>>66165992
He wrote the basic structure of the songs and the guitar parts, Morissey wrote the melodies I'm pretty sure.
>>
File: 30032c4.jpg (63 KB, 600x1065) Image search: [Google]
30032c4.jpg
63 KB, 600x1065
>>
I'm pretty sure Morrissey/Stephen Street wrote the melodies for The Smiths, i mean if you were to tell me this is a Smiths song from Strangeways i'd believe you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0u4l0v4QE&ab_channel=just,Morrissey&TheSmiths
>>
>>66160806
Best guitarist of the 80s, and all of indie rock.

>>66165950
He rejects the session musician label. "I don't work with just anybody" he says

>>66165992
All their songs are credited to Morrissey and Marr. He was definitely mostly responsible for The Smiths' sound. Usually Morrissey wrote words for Marr's music, not vice versa.
>>
>>66166068
nahl get out of here ye ogly foker
>>
>>66163721
The best thing he did was leave The Cribs. the whole idea was pretty cool but they got so much better as a band with the last two albums.
>>
>>66165351
I don't see Marr as influential, I think he's a unique skill
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.