[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Tfw want to get into film and literature but can't stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: enhanced-21127-1400699025-17.png (534 KB, 500x547) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-21127-1400699025-17.png
534 KB, 500x547
>Tfw want to get into film and literature but can't stop listening to music
>>
File: 1465276383518.jpg (134 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1465276383518.jpg
134 KB, 900x900
>>66160328
>tfw you want to get into film and literature but when you try to watch a film/read a book all you can think of is "man i wish i was listening to ____ right now"
>>
>>66160328
music is the easiest form to digest because it takes no commitment

reading Moby-Dick is a commitment
>>
this thread hits too close to home
>>
Reading while listening to music is super easy though as long as you aren't a subvocalizing pleb

I feel you on the cinema thing though, I can only watch films with another person otherwise I take frequent breaks to listen to albums
>>
>>66160637
>>>>READING WHILE LISTENING TO MUSIC

P S E U D
>>
Music is one of the easiest artforms to get into and you should not feel proud of yourself because your RYM has 1000 ratings. You are not even a pseudointellectual until you have 1000 films and books of literary merit under your belt.
>>
>>66160698
What is wrong with this
ambient or downtempo are perfect reading tunes
I imagine if I were into classical that would work well too
>>
>have 6 hour flight
>load tablet up with mad movies and tv shows
>ended up listening to ipod the whole time
>>
>Tfw you watch movies on mute so you can listen to your own score
>>
>>66160746
it doesn't matter what music it is, if it's familiar to you your attention will be dragged to it and thus you won't comprehend as much.
>>
>>66160827
I disagree. I know the feeling you're describing but it only really happens to me if I try listening to music with lyrics while reading.
>>
>>66160746

You're imposing an atmosphere into the book. The writer was writing with downtempo or classical music in mind. Books aren't movies. They don't have scores. There's enough musicality in the words.
>>
>>66160866
so you've never put on something ambient that you enjoy and been caught focusing on that?

Because any time I put on In a Silent Way and try to read, Miles always suckers my attention away
>>
>>66160891

wasn't* writing
>>
>>66160891
I think you're right but I don't think it comes at the sacrifice of comprehending the book. I enjoy how the atmospheres of w/e I'm listening to and that conveyed by the writing blend.

>>66160900
If it's new to me yeah, but I actively avoid trying to listen to new music while reading or something for that reason
>>
Literature is the artform you have to most invest yourself in; you can barely pay attention to a movie or play an album in the background and cruise through it without paying any real attention to it, but it's literally impossible to say you read a book without paying attention and actually reading it. This makes it the most authentic artform.

>inb4 video games

Video games are not art. They are games. Toys. Legos are not art. Neither are video games.
>>
>>66161003
You're wrong
People use art as a compliment when instead it should just be a term to describe creative efforts
Videogames definitely qualify as art. I wouldn't say a lot of them are good or compelling examples, but that doesn't deny them the description.
>>
>>66161003
>Video games are not art. They are games. Toys. Legos are not art. Neither are video games.

I played Journey last night and I have to disagree. If E.T. or Star Wars count as art, than so should Journey.
>>
i read and listen to music all the time you plens
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.