[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opeth or Porcupine Tree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
Opeth or Porcupine Tree?
>>
PT when they didnt do proge metal.
>>
storm corrosion
>>
Porcupine Tree, but I fucking hate Opeth, Storm Corrosion and Steve's solo stuff. Bass Communion is great though.
>>
>>66159385
>Hating Wilsons solo work

WEW
E
W
>>
Never liked Opeth for some reason. PT is great and very underrated here.
>>
File: Watershed.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Watershed.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1500
I love them both but it's hard to compare, they're pretty different bands even when PT was at its most metal. Personally I don't think PT has anything as good as Watershed or Still Life though.
>>
>>66159385
How can you not like Insurgentes, it sounds like the logical step after FOTBP. (The Incident on the other hand was a huge backstep.)

I think without breaking up the band would still get into the same direction musically as Steven's solo work, given the fact that Steven was always the brain behind the band. 3 years older sounds like Lightbulb Sun/Stupid Dream era PT but with tons of jazz/prog influences.
>>
>>66159329
Porcupine tree didn't publish Morningrise
So yeah Opeth all the way
>>
>>66159704
>3 years older
Sorry I wanted to type "Hand Cannot Erase"
>>
>>66159329
I liked PT first and they intruduced me to prog music so them
Also Opeth new material is not very good
>>
File: steven-wilson.jpg (148 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
steven-wilson.jpg
148 KB, 1200x800
YOU JUST KNOW
>>
>>66159704
I wasn't big on The Incident when it came out but over time it's become one of my favourites. I recommend giving it another chance if you haven't listened to it in a while, it has a really nice flow and vibe to it and is quite relaxing.
>>
>>66159875
>quite relaxing
I have to agree on that. I like to put it on occasionally as background music or when I'm tired. I don't hate the record, I just think it's a step back after their previous output which was very high quality.
My main problem with The Incident is that the song aren't cohesive enough, other than Time Flies they rely too much on each other, sure the album has a nice flow but I like more when the songs are powerful and cohesive enough on their own. (That's why I'm not a big fan of The Avalanches either, but I don't wanna get off topic)
>>
>>66160158
>>66159875
I don't know man,

FOABP = In Absentia > Piano Lessons > The Incident = Deadwing
>>
>>66159712
>morningrise
mah nigga
>>
What about Riverside?
>>
>>66160233
>Piano Lessons
>>
File: 1466787472413.jpg (216 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1466787472413.jpg
216 KB, 600x800
>>66160358
Lmao sorry, too tired.
>>
>>66160233
There are some weaker moments on Deadwing. (Swallow, Lazarus, Halo, Open Car) What makes the album good is Arriving Somewhere but not Here. That song alone is better than anything on The Incident.
>>
>>66160397
>implying Lazarus isn't a beautiful flower of a song
>>
>>66160233
The Sky Moves Sideways is my personal favorite although it's definitely not their most thought out album.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 318x159
Listen to The Reticent. You'd like me if you like opeth. They have a lot of space in their music
>>
>>66160397
>lazarus is a weak track
kys
>>
>>66160542
I like that one too. ANSI like Opeths Damnation album
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.