[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When i got recc'd this, i thought I would get a melancholic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: literally runescape.jpg (46 KB, 319x314) Image search: [Google]
literally runescape.jpg
46 KB, 319x314
When i got recc'd this, i thought I would get a melancholic industrial masterpiece, not a dead gay guy singing Philosophy 101 over the RuneScape OST

cmon guys
>>
but a dead gay guy singing Philosophy 101 over the RuneScape OST IS a melancholic industrial masterpiece
>>
>>66158136
I'm glad someone else gets its shit. It's the. Cheesiest melodramatic mallgoth tripe. Like an 8th grader wrote it. Idk how people into electronic can Like this an then call Radiohead cheesy and bad.
>>
>>66159147
you almost had me until you said that radiohead was good
>>
>>66159289
I didn't say thy were good. They are just of comparable quality to coil.
>>
>industrial masterpiece
>industrial
>masterpiece
The whole point of industrial music is that it's supposed to sound shit.
>>
>coil
>industrial
>>
>>66158136
i will never understand why /mu/ overrates this coil album so much. there are only two good songs on it (last amethyst deceiver and amber rain)

>inb4 man is the animal
>>
>neo-/mu/: the thread
>>
>>66159371
2016 /mu/ > 2009-2015 /mu/
>>
>>66159365

It's baby's first Coil. They probably haven't listened to any other release by them.
>>
MAN IS THE ANIMAL
>>
>>66159446
this is objectively the worst year for /mu/ since 2014
>>
>>66158136
What does it matter that Sleazy is dead?

Are David Bowie albums dead guy music as well?
>>
>>66159540

Literally nothing can top the avant-teen years. Nothing. NOTHING.

We're still recovering from that bullshit even though most notorious avant-teens haven't done anything in over half a decade. There are still hundreds of albums that can never be discussed without it turning to >AntiWarhol drone poseur/avant-teen.
>>
>>66159326
oh my god
>>
It's music for """intelligent""" mallgoths like Diamanda Galas, Swans, Suicide, Glenn Branca, etc.
>>
>>66159592
im a dude who joined this board a few months ago, mind giving me a history lesson bout this
>>
>>66159716
why the fuck do plebs trip i'll never understand your need for attention
>>
>>66159596
Neither are doing anything remarkable musically, and thematically they are both super cheesy. I cut myself on heaven's blade is every bit as dumb as I woke up sucking on a lemon
>>
>>66159737
eh, that's fair
>>
>>66159716

>tripfag is newfag

every time

Anyway, a long time ago when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and men lived in caves, /mu/ had an internal civil war with some folks on RYM. The RYM crowd would scour the internet for the most obscure things they could find and give it an inflated rating to make themselves look like they were discoverers of lost gems or whatever, and then they would drop the score the second people started listening to it. These people would shit on your average /mu/ denizen for being "plebs", and so the plebs would go to the RYMers best ratings and give it terrible scores in order to annoy the avant-teens. It died down recently but made sort of a comeback with the poseurcore thing.

Albums that can never be seriously discussed include LRD - '77 Live, Cukor Bila Smert - Manirna Muzyka, Tumasi Quissa - Better Times, Julius Eastman - Unjust Malaise, and Oidupaa Vladimir Oiunn - Divine Music From A Jail.

I'm pretty sure all of those albums (par LRD, which is still sitting at a 4.0) would have great RYM scores had it not been for people giving them shit ratings to avoid looking like AntiWarhol.
>>
as far as the end result is concerned, coil has a lot more in common with nine inch nails and marilyn manson than they do with part or ligeti

and pro-tip: despite what david keenan(lol) or /daily/ or /RYM/ avant-teens might tell you, pretty much all 70s and 80s UK industrial and post-industrial bands were tripe
either they were utterly moronic and inept and relied on a shock value that became obsolete and irrelevant very quickly(throbbing gristle, boyd rice, whitehouse and their buddies) or their potentially interesting and imaginative ideas got drowned out within extremely contrived and pseudo-intellectual larger visions(nurse with wound, coil) or they simply made records which were pretty fascinating for their time but have ended up aging terribly and being of no interest to anyone in 2016(chris and cosey, cabaret voltaire)

the level of mythologizing and hyperbole around all this shit exists solely to peddle reissued records and push up second-hand prices of original pressings/rarities in the collectors' market

the sooner you realize that the motivations of the people romanticizing, promoting or (re)releasing this are just as disingenuous and greedy as the motivations of the people peddling the latest bit of manufactured top 40 pop, the sooner you can assess it with the irreverence and bluntness that it deserves
>>
are there any Runescape soundfonts?
>>
>>66159967
Gotta say though, Fire of the Mind is still a catchy af banger
>>
>>66159967

Please stop misusing the avant-teen insult to refer to plebs who like Coil. We call those poseurs. Avant-teens are people who listen to funeral songs from Bhutan and musique concrete from Zambia because it makes their RYM page look cool.
>>
>>66159967
#enlightened
>>
>>66159716
people shilling obscure releases they found on rym, giving them highly inflated ratings, then those same albums being btfo & intentionally rated exceptionally lower than they deserve
some of the albums were legitimate gems that im glad i was introduced to
most was free improv, noise or musique concrete that was all either trite or pretentious
>>
>>66158136
>dead gay guy singing Philosophy 101 over the RuneScape OST

thats the whole appeal though
>>
>>66159357
Early Coil is industrial retard.
>>
>>66159357
>Horse Rotorvator is not industrial
They're the fucking epitome of industrial
>>
>>66159967
their mainstream popularity of those bands actually started in the past decade
>>
>>66159967

Yeah, I agree. The only Coil albums of worth are Moon's Milk and ...atADiHA. Rest are pretty forgettable Berlin school/industrial stuff.

Traditional music is really the only music with integrity and honesty. There's no real money to be made in selling recordings, so it's all a work of passion from both performers and sellers, an the music itself is some of the most beautiful and authentic stuff ever produced.
>>
>>66160122

Funnily enough, that's when David Keenan started shilling C93, Coil, etc. as hard as possible because he has a stake in the industry.
>>
>>66159660
wow dude nice taste
>>
It's telling how /mu/ was never into these bands when they were cult bands but were suddenly huge fans once they got recognized by P4K and RYM. Nobody here cared about Swans before P4K shilled them. Nobody cared about Julius Eastman until RYM shilled him. And nobody here cared about Coil until they got mainstream acknowledgment when ThighP started shilling repressings and t-shirts.
>>
>>66160256
>If someone tells you about a band and you like them then you're a poser
Oh no
>>
>>66160319

I didn't say that. I said /mu/ shamelessly follows trends but that doesn't have the courtesy to actually explore them. I bet the average /mu/tant couldn't tell you about any industrial bands that aren't Coil, NIN, Marilyn Manson, or Throbbing Gristle or about any post-punk bands that aren't The Pop Group or This Heat
>>
>>66160256
The reason is not because these people didnt care about it, they just didn't know about them. People love to pretend like these people just jump on some sort of bandwagon and dont have actual appreciation, or some bullshit, but there is literally NOTHING wrong with checking out and enjoying an artist that you just heard about through some sort of publicity.
>>
>>66160398
What makes you think this? You are just believing whatever you want to believe so you can hold some sort of superiority complex over these people.
I heard about Coil through /mu/ and have explored almost their entire discography including their side projects like Black Light District and Time Machines.
>>
>>66160398
Joy Division ^)
>>
File: 1464039742498.png (174 KB, 845x2903) Image search: [Google]
1464039742498.png
174 KB, 845x2903
>>
>>66160398
U2
>>
>>66159967
Do you normally phrase your words like a blowhard or are you trying this hard on purpose?
>>
>>66160398
Music is not a competition on knowing the most names.
>>
>>66158136
>dead gay guy singing Philosophy 101 over the RuneScape OST
>>
But man is the animal.

Also nice meme Op.
>>
>>66159341
ebin :^)
>>
>angles are mathematical
damn...
>>
>2010: muh indie cred
>2011: crazy wacky electronic genres
>2012: not that bad tbqh
>2013: memerap, pt. 1
>2014: return of the crazy wacky electronic genres (idm edition!)
>2015: memerap, pt. 2
>2016: circlejerking over dead celebs + pop music is ok guys
>>
>>66159147
pleb
>>
God I fucking hate this board. Glad I was introduced to Coil before I discovered this shithole.
>>
>>66159357
post-industrial whatever
>>
>IS THAT ENOUGH, SLEAZE?

Getting this tattooed on my arse
>>
>>66159923
>LRD - '77 Live, Cukor Bila Smert - Manirna Muzyka, Tumasi Quissa - Better Times, Julius Eastman - Unjust Malaise, and Oidupaa Vladimir Oiunn - Divine Music From A Jail
Wait are you saying that some of these only got popular on RYM because of these avant-teens you speak of? Or were they "popular" before already? Just genuinely interested, I don't know shit about these albums (I only see them listed / posted on different sites) and I'm too lazy to research it on my own right now. But the thought of albums getting popular because of their obscurity (so to say) is interesting, haha.
>>
Oh golly. This thread just made me realize that I am, in fact, a mallgoth. Is there a cure? Is The Cure mallgoth?
>>
also what is a mallgoth
>>
I dont even drink coffee
>>
>>66160135
>Moon's Milk
>not forgettable
>>
>>66159967
>i'm right and you're wrong :^)

the only thing reeking of pseudo-intellectualism here is this post.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.