[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guitar newbie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: ST203_white_1.jpg (21 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
ST203_white_1.jpg
21 KB, 750x750
Hey /mu/
I'm probably gonna get a lot of shit for this but i bought a guitar 3 days ago and its my first one ever, i'm 19 now and i want to know if thats too late to start playing and to really get good at it, any help would be appreciated, also if you can give me any beginner tips or very easy tabs i'd appreciate that
Pic related: the guitar i bought
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord

now just hit up /fa/ and you're all set
>>
>>66152241
Lol thanks man, i'm gonna practice it
>>
>>66152241
What about the guitar i have, is it any good, its a DiMavery
>>
>>66152227
>i'm 19 now and i want to know if thats too late to start playing
For the millionth time, no. There's no fucking "cutoff" date to learn an instrument. I'm 30 and I learned to play violin when I was 27.
>>
>>66152310
I meant to ask if its too late to get good at it, will i ever be good enougj to play in a well known band
>>
>>66152277
eh I think the only thing that really matters is weight which is just a personal preference but I strongly prefer the lightest. Everything else can simply be adjusted like "action" which is the strings height/distance from the fretboard.
>>
>>66152341
How would i adjust that and how would it change the sound?
>>
File: 3noteperstring.jpg (128 KB, 792x1122) Image search: [Google]
3noteperstring.jpg
128 KB, 792x1122
>>66152227

Practice these. I wish I had mastered this way earlier, it would have made me git gud faster
>>
>>66152394
Its done at the bridge and is what those screws at the bottom are for but best left for a store to do as I recall unless you're experienced of course.

It doesnt affect the sound but just makes it easier to play hence "action." I suppose some people with really strong fingers may think it feels loose and prefer a tighter action because otherwise I dont know why anyone would prefer anything but the easiest.
>>
>>66152459
Thanks man, i have my first lesson tonight so i'll ask the guy
>>
>>66152422
yeah you've gotta be able to play that both forward and reverse in its entirety at vivace.
>>
>>66152480
is this just electrics? I have an acoustic that I want to learn more things for
>>
>>66152472
no prob, most electrics have pretty good action and you'd probably just be best helped simply by using a light gauge.
>>
>>66152459
What the fuck are you talking about? Loose action vs tight action? Action refers to how high your strings are above your fretboard, not the tension of them. String tension is affected by what tuning you use and your scale length, which is fixed. Are you talking about the screws at the bottom of the bridge to adjust intonation? Cause you don't use those to change your action, you use them to make sure your guitar is in tune up and down the neck.
>>
>>66152487
no thats for music in general. As I recall, the major and pentatonic are the two fundamental scales that need to be literal muscle memory front to back. However "three notes per string" is of course specific to string instruments although I suppose other instruments may utilize "triad movement" or something similar.

But no there's no real difference between playing acoustic and electric. Anything you learn on either is going to translate to the other.
>>
>>66152548
yeah and how high or low they are affects how loose or tight it is. What the fuck are YOU talking about?

>Are you talking about the screws at the bottom of the bridge to adjust intonation? Cause you don't use those to change your action, you use them to make sure your guitar is in tune up and down the neck.
what in the literal flying fuck

the bridge not the NUT you nut
>>
>>66152555
ok thanks, need to work on utilizing more than 3 fingers on guitar aswell as playing and singing at the same time
>>
>>66152548
On some instruments, such as certain guitars, the action can be adjusted by tightening screws at the bridge, which changes the height of the strings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(music)

In the guitar and similar instruments, the action is the distance between the fingerboard and the string, which determines how easy it is to sound notes when pressure is applied with the fingertips. Generally a low action is considered to be more playable, due to the lower amount of pressure needed to press the string to the fingerboard.

I mean do you even fucking play?
>>
>>66152576
It depends, pentatonic typically only utilized 2 fingers per string. Although there's supposedly a 3 finger way but I dunno. Pentatonic speed is usually built through hammer ons and pull offs not just sheer picking speed.
>>
File: intonation.png (8 KB, 500x299) Image search: [Google]
intonation.png
8 KB, 500x299
>>66152583
So, it's exactly what I said? Action refers to the height of the strings off the fretboard?

And you've never heard of intonation?
>>
>>66152332
>will i ever be good enougj to play in a well known band
Well that depends if you make good music or not
>>
>>66152422
What am I looking at here?
>>
>>66152627
which is what I said to begin with

>>66152341
>Everything else can simply be adjusted like "action" which is the strings height/distance from the fretboard.

>And you've never heard of intonation?
I admit not particularly and as I recall the truss rod is whats typically used to adjust the action for sheer ease of play and consequently best left to a store unless you're experienced.
>>
>>66152666
index, middle, and third finger or pinky
>>
>>66152666
also I'd advise not starting at F the lowest fret and instead start at G or even A

but still use that same chart exactly. They really shouldnt even be including the notes/keys. That chart is 100% about the pattern.
>>
>>66152679
No, what you said is that adjusting the screws at the BOTTOM of the bridge will effect your action. They won't, they will effect your intonation. The small screws on the top of your saddles are what will effect your action, along with a properly adjusted truss rod. And if you don't what the fuck I'm talking about leave your guitar setup to a pro.
>>
>>66152422
How do you exactly "practice this". Just memorize each dot?
>>
>>66153943

more like memorize the spacing or shape. if you run up and down these shapes you will train your hand and ear and the fretboard will be way less confusing.

guitar is ez because after you know these shapes, if you wanna play F sharp major you literally just shift the same shape up a fret etc
>>
>>66152227
you probably listen to music yes? find a song you genuinely like and try to learn it.
>>
>>66153943
Play them over and over again with a metronome. Alternate your picking, so go Down pick, Up pick, D then switch strings and start with D. Next play the first 4 notes, then jump back to the second note of the scale, and continue in the same manor, so 123423453456 etc etc. Just keep practicing this shit until it becomes second nature. Every time you sit down to practice, start with scale exercises for a couple minutes, it'll warm your fingers up, and overall it will make you a better player.
>>
>>66152227
>, i'm 19 now a
That's too young to go to prison, you shouldn't post here
>>
Use songster for tabs
>>
King Buzzo started when he was 18
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.