[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: daw_users.jpg (263 KB, 1881x1206) Image search: [Google]
daw_users.jpg
263 KB, 1881x1206
>no /prod/ thread
Guess I'll make one.
No old one to copy links from so you guys can just have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjHMYNM46Fw <-- have any of you guys ever tried to write breakbeat in 3/4 before? It's weird as fuck, try it.
>>
>>66145127
There are no producers on /mu/?
Quite sad.
Nobody wants to post a clyp.it and get critiqued?
>>
yes i have in pro tools 12
>>
What's a good sound card to get for recording directly from a synth? Like can I just get the cheapest one which has the right ports or is there more to it?
>>
>>66145722
behringer UCA202

you'll need an TS to RCA adapter
>>
File: killmenow.jpg (40 KB, 435x512) Image search: [Google]
killmenow.jpg
40 KB, 435x512
Recently bought Reaktor 6. Read through all the manuals except core cells. Only understand 1/8 of certain primary modules and how they work. Gonna start reverse engineering the factory library now.
>>
>audacity
>production

how? someone pls explain
>>
>>66145940
I've released two troll albums to fuck with the /noise/generals using only audacity.

I've also recorded serious stuff with it. You need to be able to play live instruments though.
>>
who ADD /prod/ here?

I've got hundreds of different tracks I'm working on but none completed
>>
>>66146067
export them all, then stick them in a djing program is my advice. I've ended up with a few tracks that way.
>>
File: women_dont_use_logic.jpg (17 KB, 320x356) Image search: [Google]
women_dont_use_logic.jpg
17 KB, 320x356
>>66145697
>yes i have in pro tools 12
>>
File: ableton-push-pads-970-80.jpg (65 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
ableton-push-pads-970-80.jpg
65 KB, 850x638
Hi, /prod/. I’m not sure if this is the right thread, but I figure I should ask here instead of making a new thread.
I’ve studied piano and drums, but I never learned how to use DAWs other than basic GarageBand. Recently I started to feel like writing music, and I essentially wanted to write something exactly like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIv4FLM2go
I have no idea what software and gear I should invest on. I have no idea on how to make and record music like this. For a simple home recording, what should I buy? Which DAW should I look into? Is there anywhere in the internet that teaches me this sort of stuff? So far, I’m thinking of buying a USB audio interface, something like a 25 or 49 keyboard MIDI controller, and some sort of sampler, but I have a very superficial idea on how these things work.
>>
>>66146415
dont post youtube videos which are block in america on mu

we're like at least half american
>>
>>66146415
Just pirate Reason and get started.
Do your backing tracks in Reason, export and then record vocals with audacity.
There are a million youtube tutorials. Have fun.
>>
Asked this in the other one but it died. How do I get soundtoyz filter freak to retrigger when I play a note? Its just a continous and I can't seem to get it to retrigger
>>
>>66146415
>>66146463

sorry mate. It's Blacks by Dawn Golden and Rosy Cross

https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/dawn-golden-and-rosey-cross
>>
>>66146547
I'm guessing you need to look up sidechaining.
>>
>>66146505
Thanks for the tip. I tried Studio One but then I read somewhere that it's not a great software.

How about physical gear, or should I not bother with it for now? Just go on musical typing thru the computer keyboard?
>>
Reposting from last thread.

>https://clyp.it/vswrpfki
Does the intro/build seem too "empty"? If so, what should I add? It seems empty to me but I'm probably just being dumb.
>>
File: reason-back.jpg (239 KB, 741x938) Image search: [Google]
reason-back.jpg
239 KB, 741x938
>>66146618
Only physical hardware you need is something that triggers software midi. And even then, only if you need it.
Don' buy hardware until you know software. I suggest reason because it has this awesome interface (pic related) where it's just like a real rack setup. I've been fucking with music for twenty years, and the way you can unplug and replug shit in reason is 100% authentic. Learn how to use shit with that, then perhaps get real hardware.
Only "real" hardware I use is guitars and basses. Everything else can be done in software these days, and anyone telling you any different is a hipster elitist.
>>
Delet
>>
>>66146649
It's fine as is. all you need is a few nigs rapping bullshit over it and you've got a club banger.
>>
>>66146684

I like gear because muh creativity through limitations and I like to not stare at a computer screen when I'm making music
>>
>>66146684
Shit, that looks intimidating as fuck. Oh well, whaterver.

Yeah, I will definitely try using Reason, and record with guitars and basses. I have a crappy USB audio interface that might be useful.
>>
>>66146593
How would side chaining help? Maybe not specific enough. I have a sequenced loop in filter freak and I want the sequence to restart when I play a different note.
>>
>>66146786
>>66146684
So what kind of gear do you use? I'm not completely on board with using only the computer to write music, but I rather stay on budget if I can and not buy unreasonable expensive shit.
>>
>>66146786
>I like gear because muh creativity through limitations and I like to not stare at a computer screen when I'm making music
muh creativity can not be bought with gear. just get some bottom barrel midi controller you can link with a DAW and it's just like a real synth anyway. If you don't know what the fuck I'm saying, google it.
>>66146788
>Shit, that looks intimidating as fuck. Oh well, whaterver.
Which is why it's better to start in software. Nothing matters and you can trial and error.
desu Reason will hold your hand and just connect hsit where it should go. You only have to worry about the wires when you get into sidechaining etc. If you never get that complex, it will never matter.
>>66146802
>How would side chaining help?
If yu have to ask this, I think you don't know what sidechaining is. Maybe look it up more, and do it in a track. Then you will know why it is what you want.
>>
>>66145127
>breakbeat in 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1i3jsDggHY
does this count?
>>
What pic would be garage band?
>>
>>66146907
>black_rubber_dildo.jpg
>>66146882
...I think it does. Only near the end though, the rest isn't really breaks.
>>
File: M-AUDIO_Oxygen25_mkIII_main.jpg (25 KB, 500x486) Image search: [Google]
M-AUDIO_Oxygen25_mkIII_main.jpg
25 KB, 500x486
>>66146863
>>66146863
>So what kind of gear do you use? I'm not completely on board with using only the computer to write music, but I rather stay on budget if I can and not buy unreasonable expensive shit.
This is what I use for electronic stuff.
Any dial on it can be assigned to any dial or fader on a synth in Reason. It cost me about £70 I think, 5 years ago.
Other than that, live instruments.
It's what I used to make the (admittedly crappy) backing track to the video in the OP.
>>
>>66146875

you completely misunderstand the "creativity through limitations" thing, pham. I'm not saying you NEED X piece of gear to be creative, what I'm saying is that I (and a lot of other people) work better when having a limited number of choices as opposed as having a DAW with virtually unlimited choices

that and again, I fucking hate looking at a screen when making music. I love to look at my gear, to turn them knobs, to feel the sliders, to sync it all and make it work

besides, there is def some gear that has features almost impossible (or very hard) to replicate on a DAW ie an Analog Four's sequencer
>>
>>66147111
>what I'm saying is that I (and a lot of other people) work better when having a limited number of choices as opposed as having a DAW with virtually unlimited choices
>that and again, I fucking hate looking at a screen when making music. I love to look at my gear, to turn them knobs, to feel the sliders, to sync it all and make it work
Now this I can totally dig, I get it and you don't need to explain any more.
>besides, there is def some gear that has features almost impossible (or very hard) to replicate on a DAW ie an Analog Four's sequencer
I was gonna pull you up on this until I saw you said very hard as well as impossible.
But even then, I don't think that's true. There's fuck all you can't replicate in a DAW these days - and i mean by using triggers and dials, not just programming it in. Link a hardware midi interface to a software synth and it's the same as real hardware.
I'd be impressed if you named one thing you can do with hardware you can't do with software.
>>
>>66146875
Yeah I know side chaining is using one input to control another signal but I dont see how I can make something where it makes the sequence retrigger when I press a different key
>>
>>66147170
yeah you're probably right, just anything can pretty much be replicated on software, however, no MIDI controller and macros will ever truly replicate the efficient workflow of a piece that was designed with said workflow in mind. Sure, you can spend hours and hours making macros and workarounds, but at the end it will have its shortcomings when compared to the piece of gear. You'll never get the workflow of an octatrack on a maschine controller no matter how hard you try

I'm not against DAW workflow btw, I've been using Ableton since 2008. I just got tired of the lack of tactile feel.
>>
>tfw no ppg wave gf
>>
>>66147527
>yeah you're probably right, just anything can pretty much be replicated on software, however, no MIDI controller and macros will ever truly replicate the efficient workflow of a piece that was designed with said workflow in mind.
No lad, you're just a hipster elitist who's swallowed the bullshit.
It doesn't matter what gear you have, in the end. The talent is what matters.
>>
>>66145940
I record all my jams with audacity. Really easy. no need to fuck around with bpms and time warping. I really hate dealing with audio in ableton.
>>
>>66147649

>thinking I'm saying gear = talent
>stating that a piece of hardware that has a specific layout and workflow will be hard to replicate on a do-it-all-MIDI-controller and vice versa means I'm a gear fetishist
>being so ignorant as to the fact that different manufactures of gear use vastly different philosophies when approaching their gear's workflow

but keep spewing meme words
>>
https://clyp.it/qk3j50dm#
>>
>>66147755
You say I'm using memewrods then you use a bunch of bullshit yourself.
> different manufactures of gear use vastly different philosophies when approaching their gear's workflow

Sure kid. now tell me one thing that a hardware synth can do that you can't do with a midi controller and software.
Just one.
There must be plenty from what you say, so one shouldn't be hard.
>>
>>66147801

>he thinks I'm talking about synths

I was talking about stuff like samplers and grooveboxes you dolt, do you know what an octatrack or maschine are?
>>
>>66147825
lel. groovebox has a software version.
>>
>>66145940
I heard in a Julia Holter interview that she recorded a lot of Tragedy in audacity.
Scaruffi calls it one of the greatest albums on this decade.
>>
>>66147844

>groovebox has a software version

wow look at this knowledgeable fella. Aren't you a sharp tool. thanks for playing the "I'll pretend I know what I'm talking about" game
>>
>>66147873
Ok kid.
Now answer my question, that you dodged, here.>>66147801
>>66147801
>Sure kid. now tell me one thing that a hardware synth can do that you can't do with a midi controller and software.
>Just one.
>There must be plenty from what you say, so one shouldn't be hard.
>>66147799
S'aright dude,
>>
>>66147897

I already told you here champs

>>66147527

but you're so ignorant you don't know what an octatrack is, and you think groovebox refers to a single piece of gear

and I'll answer your question even though you're too fucking retarded to even know exactly what you're asking: most emulations of analog gear don't sound like the real thing. Digital synths, yes. Analog, they fail most of the time

And let me rephrase my point: your maschine controller (you don't even know what that is but lets ignore that) will never be able to replicate an octatracks workflow, at least not as efficiently.

is that simple enough for you to understand?
>>
>>66147963
>I already told you here champs
You didn't tell shit, you used a bunch of vague descriptors that mean fuck all.
It's ok, we're done here. You can't name any specifics because you're just wrong. I knew this from the get go, and it's been funny to see you flounder. Cheers fag.
>>
File: 1439703061324.png (496 KB, 643x580) Image search: [Google]
1439703061324.png
496 KB, 643x580
>>66147995

>get told in detail that software controllers cannot match the workflow of an efficiently designed groovebox or sampler
>too fucking stupid/ignorant, refers to a groovebox as a single piece of gear
>"LOL WE'RE DONE HERE"

suit yourself, dummy
>>
>>66148040
"workflow" is a bullshit word that is not relevant.
I asked what is it you CAN NOT DO. You could go for "twiddle a knob to make a synth go squidege" but we both know that won't fly because midi controllers do that fine.
YOU
HAVE
NOTHING

What can hardware do that software can't? (protip - nothing)
>>
>>66146684
The only fucking reason you need shit like that is if you're an old fart who grew up on the real shit and cannot possibly adapt but need to keep up somehow with current tech. If you're fresh, learn how to use a flowchart interface or those other newish standards.
>>
>>66148082
I am an old fart. Still no excuse.
>>
>>66148094
I don't think so. Even in your mid 40's, flowcharts will end up being easier. The old guys I'm talking about are 60 something ex-roadies that want to produce on laptops since they're too old to handle large boxes of shit.
>>
>>66148143
*that you're that old.
>>
>>66148143
You just need to show these old fucks the Reason interface with all the ports and wires and they would love it.
>>
what about reaper?
>>
>>66148160
That's the point I was making. And their faces start off confused, until they start clicking around. If they made that shit for tablet computers, you'd see a lot more long haired old guys in the software section of MOOG.
>>
>>66148212
My friend who uses Reaper is a big metalhead and from what I've heard elsewhere it's pretty good for barebones recording a guitarist type person might want

anyway here's a wip

https://clyp.it/nsm5gxlo
>>
Does anyone have a decent ableton crack/ dl link?
>>
>>66148581
>https://clyp.it/nsm5gxlo
Have you considered using melody?
>>
>>66148686
eventually, someday, maybe, hopefully
>>
>>66148581
this was done in reaper?
>>
>>66146169
what did he mean by this

(but actually though)
>>
>>66148897
no mostly in Reason, sometimes I use reaper for fucking around with the playback speed function though
>>
>>66145127
whats the stereotype for people who use studio one
>>
How to make musique concrete?
>>
How do I produce on Ableton using only my laptop?
>>
>>66149296
If you have to ask...just don't.
>>66149317
Hit the keys randomly.
>>
https://clyp.it/kj5au4ek

What do you guys think?
>>
>>66149296
get a microphone and go out into the city or something
>>
>>66145127
what is ableton? a music shop?

and audacity, is it supposed to imply they are poor? They seem to have some equipment but I can't see what it is
>>
>>66149023
fedora
>>
https://clyp.it/hapx4aru
>>
>>66149023
Film scoring types.
>>
Who /octatrack/ here
>>
>>66149728
ableton are nerdy hipsters, that's the stereotype that image is forcing and it's true for the most part
>>
>>66146723
https://clyp.it/vy25jgee
>>
>>66146505
where do you pirate reason? all the major torrent sites only have reason 5 and below
>>
>>66149296
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ea0sBrw6M
>>
https://clyp.it/032qlox0

I'd like some feedback on this one..on the mix, sounds, melody, everything basically.

>>66149901
Nice, I like it. Some of the pads kinda have some low-quality sound to it though, but that might be the site's fault, idk
>>
>>66145923
I've recently got into Reaktor too.

I started going through the manuals and building a few things, then watching some tutorials on YouTube slowly getting the hang of it.
Seem to be getting on with blocks better at the moment as they are basically ready built macros.

The tutorials on the N.I website are pretty handy as well as the ones on the west coast blocks by Matt Cellitti as I'm a bit of a noob to the whole modular thing.

http://youtu.be/mQVZvGMAFYA
>>
>yet again /prod/ is ruined by some idiot who pretends to know what they're talking about by saying there is one solution above all others

So who's making music today? What you making?
>>
>>66151909
Today: Bootcamping brass and horn arranging. Trying to make some generic 'superman'-ish shit.
>>
>>66151909
tryna make this sound more organic, mostly. I think it's gonna come down to re-recording the end parts so it sounds less looped

https://clyp.it/20zqwpf1
>>
>>66150511
The heart of my set up. Don't even use a computer any more. Amazing bit of kit, despite some of its shortcomings as a MIDI sequencer.
>>
>>66147423
he means 'ducking' the volume after you record it ;^)
>>
>>66152129
why do people call gear "kit"?
>>
>>66152272
They're colloquialisms dependent on location.
>>
>>66152129
in fact I'm playing with it right now.
https://clyp.it/vbqv0qpv
>>
File: mpc1000_top_lg.png (1 MB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
mpc1000_top_lg.png
1 MB, 1200x750
Is the MPC line the closest thing to an "Ableton in a box" for 100% hardware set ups?

I have a lot of gear (synths, drum machines etc) but so far I've used them all within a DAW. I want to be able to sync them all and make songs without having to use my computer. So I need something with lots of MIDI outs

is the MPC line the best for such workflows? is there anything else out there that's comparable?

thank you
>>
>>66153488
That completely depends on the kind of music you're making and what the equipment you're using with it is.
>>
Just wanted to clarify;
The best use of reverb is through a send channel being applied to the necessary tracks at different dry/wet levels yes?

I've read conflicting statements about this in the past, mainly from previous /prod/ threads about how much CPU usage it costs and just wanted to squash the myth for myself.
>>
How's this?
https://clyp.it/tcljpdxp
>>
>>66153681

I make bleeps

I have a 3 synths, one with step sequencer (cannot sequence other gear though), one analog and one digital, both racks

I don't work in a 100% strict "grid" workflow but I'd like to have everything organized as far as triggering-start-stop events go, and improv a little ie by playing with my gear filters while a box tells it to play this an arp

>>66153692
having one reverb is more efficient CPU-wise, plus (most of the times) having a different reverb on different channels can make things sound muddy and messy
>>
>>66153757
Get an octatrack.
>>
File: crutch.png (838 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
crutch.png
838 KB, 1000x600
>r&b
>wonky
>chopped and screwed

https://clyp.it/bxlk04l0

melodies are me mumbling into a mic - not in any way complete

advice massively appreciated
>>
>>66153777

I don't like the octatrack's single stereo output. I know you can work around it by using the cue and solo out to make it 4 out, but I still don't like it. Besides, I've watched videos of it (tutorials demos) and and it seems a bit of a overkill for what I need.
>>
>>66153851
How many outputs do you need then?
>>
>>66153933
more than 2 that's for sure, I have hardware FX I like to use on my synths. Yeah I know the octatrack has decent onboard fx, but I don't want to be tied down to them.

I am not sure if the lacks of outs its the one thing that's putting me off though. To me it looks like it was designed to be an incredible versatile sampler/MIDI controller for live use, which I think its great, but all I need really is basically a way to lay down simple tracks. I'm not much of a sampling guy, so the crazy sampling capabilities of the OT aren;t that useful to me. I want a box to tell my synths when and for how long to play which notes, while I add the "live" touch on each synth while they play
>>
File: IDM-Intelligent-dance-music.jpg (39 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
IDM-Intelligent-dance-music.jpg
39 KB, 500x338
Waddup guys, what you think of this piece of IDM I shat out yesterday?

Can I Aphex Twin with y'all?

https://clyp.it/ny5jqk2k
>>
>>66153757
Thank you
>>
>>66154006
Beat step pro seems pretty popular for sequencing
>>
Does anyone know if you can use Omnisphere as a pure send channel?
Have it set up with no sound source loaded and feed the fx into a separate track?
>>
>>66154049
i can't listen to it
>>
>>66154217
why? It's not playing?
>>
>>66154235
oops, meaning lost in translation. i mean that i stopped it after a few seconds because didn't want to hear it anymore
>>
>>66154245
to each their own
>>
The reason to buy hardware is because it's more fun to play and looks cooler
>>
>>66154049
Would definitively do ecstasy to this man
>>
>>66154331
aww thanks
>>
>>66154006
Ah well you don't have to route your hardware through the octatrack. I use an external mixer unless I'm resampling. Sorry I see what you mean about wanting a complete replacement for ableton then.

An MPC might be your best bet if you want to keep things self contained and simple but I can't speak for the quality of their current offerings (touch and renaissance). Does seem they both lack a decent number of audio outputs though.

Get one of the classic units I reckon.
>>
>>66146649
Don't know why I laughed at this. But not in a bad way desu.
>>66150663
Oh yea, I know why now.

>>66148581
Steve Reich-esque. Keep at it.

>>66149666
It's got that I-dont-give-a-fuck feel, that's deceptively hard to imitate.

>>66149901
The harmonies are kind of directionless.

>>66151357
Lacks coherence in voicing.

>>66152038
Nigger, that's pretty awesome and soothing to listen. The vocals are kind of hard to hear. Top notch aesthetics. Would listen to and pursue romance with my virtual blue-haired lesbian best friend.
Have any more tracks? Because now I feel bad about what I'm making.

>>66153708
Empty.

>>66153784
Nice. How much of the backing is samples?

>>66154049
The drums all over the place with the pitch, tone it down a little.

Anyway, breaks. In 4/4. I hate mixing.
https://clyp.it/tgow3cje
Thoughts?
>>
>>66154769
>https://clyp.it/tgow3cje
For better or worse it sounds like the background music of a character select screen in a generic fighting game.
>>
>>66154606
so you use the OT just to trigger/control your gear through MIDI and route your gear through your mixer? duh I completely forgot about this set up actually.....

do you use the OT's sampler at all?

suddenly getting the OT seems attractive.....
>>
>>66154955
I use the sampler for audio samples, vocal recordings, instrumentation, percussion, breaks etc.

Only occasionally for synths if I fancy resampling or layering triggered effects. Sometimes I record multiple lines for a money that or something.

One thing I almost always do in live shows is use a reel to reel in to the octatrack on a pick up machine.
>>
>>66155040
>for a money that

Fucking autocorrect.

Sometimes I record multiple lines for a monosynth and layer them.
>>
>>66155040

well fuck, I already own elektron gear so I kinda know their general workflow, looks like I'm gonna have to eat ramen for the next month then.....

that live thing sounds crazy hehe. do you have any clyp of stuff you've done on the OT?

thank you
>>
>>66155103
I'm out for the evening now but if the threads still going when I get back I'll turn everything on and make you a song.
>>
>>66155103
>looks like I'm gonna have to eat ramen for the next month then.....
Is Ramen your boss senpai
>>
>>66154769
the mixing is top notch for sure, everything comes through really clearly. The main thing I'd suggest is maybe open up some space in the track to let it develop more

>Nigger, that's pretty awesome and soothing to listen. The vocals are kind of hard to hear. Top notch aesthetics. Would listen to and pursue romance with my virtual blue-haired lesbian best friend.
Have any more tracks? Because now I feel bad about what I'm making.

Daww, thanks! yeah I've got an albums worth of material rn, just trying to get the mixes as good as they can be. here's another one that I haven't gotten to mix yet from the same batch of songs.

https://clyp.it/4vvksron
>>
File: fixeeeds.jpg (804 KB, 1881x1206) Image search: [Google]
fixeeeds.jpg
804 KB, 1881x1206
>>66145127
I fixed it
>>
>>66155618
Neat.
Any way to follow you on social media somewhere?
>>
>>66145940
Audacity is GOAT. If you can play live and don't want any frills you could make a while album in it. I use it daily for trimming, sampling, reversing, changing tempo, changing pitch, and so much more. It really shines if you use it with another DAW; I use REAPER (awesome scripting, plugin bridging, extensions, UI, etc.) and you can rig it up to open the audio in Audacity through the context menu and all changes made in Audacity will automatically be reflected in REAPER.
>>
>>66157050
yea, I mostly use facebook and bandcamp

awkwardbullshit.bandcamp.com
>>
>>66153488
MPCs are very capable live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ZvlpLfcJA
>>
Anyone here ever used fiverr.com to get session singers/musicians?

I just realized I could do this and it's exciting to think about the possibilities. It seems almost too good to be true that I can pay someone like 25 bucks to play drums on my track, or play lap steel on it or something.
>>
Is there a name for those overdriven fast strummed electric guitar chords?
Because I'm gonna need some samples of that and don't know what to look for.
>>
>>66158741
like power chords?
>>
>>66158912
Got what I wanted with "funky strumming".
>>
File: 1413911028461.gif (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1413911028461.gif
1 MB, 400x400
was trying to build some beat repeat dummy clips for triggering live and came up with a shitty tune in the process

https://clyp.it/ztwbu0ev
>>
I don't know anything about music or production. I just want to fuck around with audio clips and make loops.

What program should I torrent?
>>
Serious question what does offer Ableton over FL Studio? My friend started me off with FL about 4 years ago so I'm kinda used to it.
>>
>>66159610
superior sample/clip manipulation
better layout/interface (as in, more neat and clean)
better integration with some gear (push/launchpad)
Max4Live
>>
>>66159746
>better layout/interface
Not that anon, but that's up to taste and debate.
>>
>>66159610
For me ableton is less confusing. I started off using FL and just couldn't get a grip on it but with ableton I learned pretty . ableton to just makes more sense
>>
>>66159545
pretty much any that works with audio.

I did exactly that for years using AudioMulch
>>
>>66160262
Oh and wavelab. I edit my audio in Wavelab then use Audiomulch to fuck with the loops.
>>
r8

https://clyp.it/sghm0is1
>>
Where are sonar cakewalk users on this list?
>>
>>66146505
Rutracker
>>
>>66159610
I prefer FL, but that's because I've been using it for years now and I can get it to do whatever I need it to. It's really just a matter of taste
>>
hello, I'd like to learn how to play the piano so I can make good songs with the synth. this is what i just made https://clyp.it/xreld1ik
i'm having trouble hitting the right keys
>>
>>66145127
Is audio production as a major a waste of time/money?

I figure it's a good opportubity to network with people in the industry and maybe even land an internship. My local music scene is really uninteresting.

Also, having access to a knowledgeable instructor seems nice.

Any advice from anyone enrolled or graduated pls =^)
>>
>>66161639
If you can listen to music critically enough to have an opinion on what sounds bad, then you can make it. It is only a matter of time and tools, and the motivation to get there.

Sure, you may have some unique opportunities associated with school.
>>
>>66161639
it's a waste of time sure, i've gotten by with very little money spent
>>
What's the best compression mic I can get for $20 to $25? I have a pdmic78 but that's dynamic, I need something for vocals and acoustic instruments
>>
>>66162456
Meant to say condenser microphone
>>
>>66162400
25 bucks won't get you far at all
>>
>>66161600
rate pls, for the dubs
>>
If you have a computer its potentially free

I've personally spent less than 1000$ in the past 10 years on hardware
>>
>>66162732

>>66161639
>>
Should I torrent Massive?
>>
Do you guys use compression as a send channel or do you implement different configs on each track?
Or both?
>>
File: 1466658794358.jpg (101 KB, 640x650) Image search: [Google]
1466658794358.jpg
101 KB, 640x650
I have 65gb of samples.

How the fuck do I go through these and keep the best ones? Where the fuck do I start? I have no clue guys I need some fucking help.
>>
>>66162812
It depends on what you're compressing and the sound you want
>>
>>66162715

Well my pdmic78 was only $10 and it works fine for dynamic stuff like my amp I just know I need another type of mic for warmer vocals or my acoustic guitars. I play blackmetal so I don't need the highest, I can equalize in my saw for a lot of things, just clipping and static are what I want to cut out
>>
>>66162845
There was a point where you should've stopped, but you kept going.
>>
>>66163215
This
I force myself to work with a minimal amount of samples and keep my samples folder under 5Go at all times. Helped me finish more songs and be more productive in general
>>
https://clyp.it/00sgk2hd
I'm not quite sure what to add to this. Drums don't really seem to "fit". Should I just leave it as it is and move onto something else?
>>
>>66162845
What do you even have in that folder? The only samples I ever use are ones off old drum machines.
>>
>>66161639
I majored in music with a concentration in production. I started interning at a recording studio and now 2-3 years later I'm working there as an audio engineer for 20$ an hour.

I would say the major was worth it to me. Though the only way they helped me get an internship was my professor recommending a studio; the rest was up to me. From that point I probably could have given up on the major and just focused on the internship and I probably would be in a similar spot I am today. Despite that, I had a great professor and I learned a lot so it was worth it to me.

>>66162456
A condenser for that little would pretty much be worthless. Wait until you can get up at least into the 100$ range. I think you can get an AT2020 for around 80 bucks, see if you can find a used one for less.
>>
>>66163639
>he doesn't have acoustic multisample packs
>>
>>66163689
how do I mix my tracks better?
>>
File: IMG_3986.jpg (39 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3986.jpg
39 KB, 360x270
I want to make fun rap songs. how do I go about this while being white?
>>
>>66164052
you pay black people to ghost produce.
>>
>>66161441
same place they are in real life, nowhere
>>
If I send tracks to an engineer, what should I do? Clean everything up? Or will he know what to do?
>>
>>66164052
by realizing it's not 1997 and nobody will give a shit that you're white as long as you actually have talent
>>
>>66157386
Holy shit.
>>
>>66164096
Also (I had more information but it kept being marked as spam) - essentially, my productions are a mess. Layers are mixed towards shit that I put on the master (therefore, removing this makes it all really imbalanced). Are these too far gone? Or will the person know how to save it?
>>
>>66164096
>send tracks to an engineer

do you not want to produce your own stuff?
>>
>>66164052
just do it? what does you being white have to do wit anything
>>
>>66164247
I've produced it, I need it mixed and mastered. Engineer might not be the right word but I kept getting spam filtered.
>>
>>66163986
- look up tutorials on lynda.com (torrent them) and youtube about EQ, compression and reverb techniques

- practice mixing with these free multitracks:
http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm

>>66164096
- clean up all edits; add short fades to the beginning and end of clips and crossfade between edit points
- take all effects off of the tracks, and make sure none of them are clipping
- label each track in a clear and explanatory way so that he knows what all the tracks are without having to listen to each one
- make sure all the stems are exported from the beginning of the session, so that he can put the files in his DAW and have them automatically line up exactly how they should

These are things that he could do, but if you're gonna have someone mix your stuff you don't want them to have to spend too much time doing busy-work like labeling tracks and shit.
>>
>>66164320
Also export the tracks at the same bit depth and sample rate that they were recorded at. If they were recorded at 24bit 48k, export the stems as 24bit 48k WAV files. If your music is electronic and uses virtual instruments, you can export at whatever you want but 24bit 48k is pretty standard.

And give him the BPM of the track
>>
>>66164320
Second response here, thanks for that. I mentioned here >>66164172 about the state of my work, will it be a problem? I have old tracks that are mixed too loud with EQ's on the master.

I can reduce the volume of everything and removed these. It will just sound very different. Is that OK? If I have a rough mix track to send them as reference, will they know what to do?
>>
File: shiba.gif (374 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
shiba.gif
374 KB, 500x357
Is this decent? I can't tell if the lead is annoying or good....

https://clyp.it/oxtp5j0y
>dance, house, electro

>>66145127
good thing the best DAW was left off there
>bitwig is king
>>
>>66164052
>>66164077
You're basically gonna have to be a producer if you're ever going to be taken seriously, then you can go all kanye and start your rap career off the back of your godlike beats
>>
>>66164371
OK sure, thanks again for that, will do.
>>
>>66164052
that the horn player from NMH?
>>
>>66162845
>ctrl+shift+end
>delete
>>
>>66164428
bitwig could accurately be represented by giving the people in the ableton picture disguises and fake moustaches
>>
File: 1323373559977.jpg (17 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
1323373559977.jpg
17 KB, 432x288
sup /prod/

do you make tracks for a genre or determine the genre after the track is made?
>>
>>66164409
Are your tracks recorded or is it all electronic. If it's electronic everything should be fine as long as you take all your effects off and nothing is clipping.

If it's recorded audio, there's a limit to what an engineer can do. They can't take someone recorded on an iPhone and make it sound professional. I would say just send the engineer an mp3 of the track how it is and see if they think they can work with it.
>>
>>66164428
>loljava
>no track grouping
>"best DAW"
>>
>>66164534
>what is an aux channel
>>
>>66164529
>determine the genre after the track is made?
basically this
i feel more creative that way
>>
>>66164574
... not a group?
>>
>>66164531
Yeah, it's electronic and that's a relief honestly. I'll make sure to do that, cheers.
>>
>>66164534
But track grouping is possible. Also isn't the core written in cpp?
>>
>>66164601
is a group
>>
File: daw users updated.jpg (347 KB, 1510x764) Image search: [Google]
daw users updated.jpg
347 KB, 1510x764
>>66145127
>>66164515
updated
>>
>>66164797
lmao as the author of OPs pic, I declare this one the new official DAWs comparison pic
>>
File: fls.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
fls.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
I learned fruity loops a while ago as I heard it was babbys first DAW and I had no experience in making electronic music.
It's served me well when making trashy trap and shit but I only realised how dead ended it is when I attempted to pick up music creation again seriously and attempted to make an IDM track on it. Didn't end well.
What are some good somewhat accessible step ups from fruityloopies?
>>
>>66164870
I'm so honored lol
>>
>>66165061
>attempted to make an IDM track on it. Didn't end well.
how did you fuck that up simultaneously managing to make trap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYSvbZbiY8
>>
File: daw_updated_2.jpg (800 KB, 1861x764) Image search: [Google]
daw_updated_2.jpg
800 KB, 1861x764
>>66165234

added a couple more, our DAW list is almost done!
>>
>>66165265
ProTools guy...
But I wish I could be as cool as Reaper guy.
>>
>>66165251
Traps easy to make. Real IDM is not. I cant tell if your trolling by posting a FrankJavCee tut as a serious means of learning... Any way it comes down to things like automation clips and dynamic synths being hard to work with in FL.
You a fellow FL producer friend? :^)
>>
>>66165345
>You a fellow FL producer friend? :^)
unfortunately it's all I have
there's always audacity as well
>>
>>66165265
reaper one made me laugh but what is the protools one trying to communicate? it's just an old guy in a decent studio
>>
>>66152038
>https://clyp.it/20zqwpf1
Fucking love these vibes
>>
>>66165265
you should add a square that says image not found and list all the obscure daw's above it
>>
>>66165328
>>66165265
I swear Reaper isnt even on mac..? What to people even typically make on Reaper?
I used to make black metal with it with my old band lele
>>
>>66165487
>I used to make black metal with it with my old band lele
that's how i started hearing about it, all the shitty metal and punk bands in the town i grew up in being all "DOOD WE CAN RECORD OURSELVES AND TEH SOFTWARE IS FREE"
>>
any free vocal/soprano vst's out there? doesn't have to sound realistic. I'm after something that has a single human voice kind of sound as opposed to a full choir.
>>
>>66165510
It's alright for that sort of shit but yeah I think we only used it because it was nagware at the time haha
>>
>>66165487
yeah I'm aware it isn't but I couldn;t find a better pic that encapsulates the reaper spirit tbqh
>>
>>66165487
>>66165612

the canon explanation is that is a hackintosh OK?!?
>>
File: reaper.png (98 KB, 1127x522) Image search: [Google]
reaper.png
98 KB, 1127x522
>>66165612
>>66165487
What?
>>
>>66165612
>>66165640

It's alright, I'd like to think the same guy that is using a psp and wearing a watermelon would wine bottle all his shit up.
>>
>>66165663
oh
>>
>>66165663
oh ok then thank u anon now I will die happy
>>
>>66145127
the FL rep made me ass angry
>>
File: latest[1].png (100 KB, 371x353) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
100 KB, 371x353
>>66165663
>like a version
>>
File: trapgodproducer.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
trapgodproducer.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>66165746
>>66165265
I really wanna change it to this
>>
File: ancient.png (23 KB, 456x364) Image search: [Google]
ancient.png
23 KB, 456x364
>>66150685
>where do you pirate reason? all the major torrent sites only have reason 5 and below
Nothing wrong with Reason 5. No need to always use the newest software.
Fuck, I still use Acid Pro 4. That's because Sony bought them out ond rootkitted the software (I found it myself, not bullshitting. It's the same rootkit they added to some CD's around the turn of the century. I knew it was the same one because it had the same MO - start a process with the prefix $SYS$ and it doesn't show up in task manager. )
Whoever cracked the version I'm using, their botnet C+C centre is probably long gone.
>>
>>66162845

If Its a problem then I'm too far gone for help.

Seriously though, The only things truly worth hoarding are novel Kontakt Instruments, Single hit drum sounds, Possibly Drum libraries for your favorite acoustic drum instrument (superior drummer, addictive drums, etc- if you use 'real sounding' drums), sampled vinyl breaks and other samples you have ripped from songs, and the synth and bass sounds you have bounced that you made. I don't find synth samples useful at all, if you learn synthesis you can make all that shit.

Construction Kit type melodic shit is almost always garbage unless you make specific genres that can get away with using Guitar_Riff_95.wav from Loopmasters whatever the fuck, otherwise fuck that shit. Give me a multisampled piano instrument over a piano .wav from a commercial kit any day.

Kontakt stuff on the other hand, is worth hoarding imo because you can add novel real multisampled instruments to your productions that are not easily synthesized or faked using sample manipulation. Those make up the overwhelming bulk of my sample collection.

For commercial drum single hits check these guys out:

Best Service Drums overkill (single hits, good acoustic offerings)

Dorumalaia Drums (single hit electronic good for layering)

'The Machine' or other drum machine collection library for the classic sounds.

With those, and a few dope breaks you sampled from old tunes, you can make most EDM sample based drums via layering.
>>
>>66153708
Needs some eqing and a bassline but good start.
>>
>>66165930
wow, are you capable of doing anything yourself?
>>
>>66165930
>December 1969
>>
>>66165930
>Dorumalaia
Now that's a name I haven't seen in a long time.
>>
>>66161295
quiet/10
Normalise your track in audacity next time before uploading.
>>
>>66161441
>Where are sonar cakewalk users on this list?
Back in 1996.
>>
>>66161441
On Steam.
>>
File: reason_refills.png (17 KB, 361x444) Image search: [Google]
reason_refills.png
17 KB, 361x444
>>66162845
>I have 65gb of samples.
Most of pic related is instrument presets, but a large part of it is drum/orchestra samples.
>>
>>66164052
> I want to make fun rap songs. how do I go about this while being white?
I'm guessing we'll be seeing you in the cringe threads.
>>
I'm trying to record a Korg Volcabeats on my computer through an aux cord using audacity. Its working but recording terrible quality, you can hardly tell the difference between the drums. Any ideas? New to this.
>>
>>66153784
>https://clyp.it/tgow3cje
good job would love to hear it finished
>>
>>66154769
sounds like it would be in a sonic game lol. I like it
>>
>>66165345
>I cant tell if your trolling by posting a FrankJavCee tut as a serious means of learning...
Surprise twist: that poster is FrankJavCee and he's posting his own videos here.

I know, it's a crazy theory, but it might be true.

I don't mind anyway. He's a good youtuber. I'm subscribed to him on one of my accounts.

A similar dude I saw post a thread about his channel here once is this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nknTq7X_LAQ

^--the rest of his videos are OK, but that video is just straight up /prod/ rage material. Pretty sure he's trying to troll us.
>>
>>66165746
>the FL rep made me ass angry
Don't get butthurt. I'm a reason user and I think it's funny.
>>
>>66166272
>I'm trying to record a Korg Volcabeats on my computer through an aux cord using audacity. Its working but recording terrible quality, you can hardly tell the difference between the drums. Any ideas? New to this.
You probably have the gain too high.
Take a picture of the waveform and show us please. Also post clyp.it.
>>
File: kontakt_crusader.jpg (120 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
kontakt_crusader.jpg
120 KB, 800x600
>>66165967
Without our lord and savior Kontakt? Why live?
>>
File: mc909_top.jpg (65 KB, 560x431) Image search: [Google]
mc909_top.jpg
65 KB, 560x431
>>66147056
>>66146684
all you'll ever need boys
>>
>>66146547
I'm not familiar with this plugin and unwilling to look up the manual, but there is such a thing as midi controlled effects- some stuff like fabfilter volcano, you can add as a special midi triggered fx track in your daw (only familiar with logic's terminology in this regard). Then see if there is a switch that monitors for incoming midi on that track, and use that midi on the FX track to trigger the thing (notes, etc). In this case, the audio you want to filter is routed into the sidechain input so it interacts with the plugin. That's how you do it for say, fabfilter volcano on logic.

Now, another possibility is that the plugin is triggered via an internal threshold, where it listens for audio to creep past the threshold, triggering the effect. In this case, the plugin is an insert effect on the main instruments channel. As normal.

The sound you are applying it to would need to have enough dynamics to trigger it, OR, you have a custom sound (like a sine wave with a special envelope shape) coming into the sidechain channel to the plugin to trip it.

Which one is the answer? hell I don't know, look at the manual for the thing.
>>
>>66167079
I already told him he needs to look up sidechaining.
>>
>>66167106
And you're probably right, just wanted him to know there are potentially two quite different sidechain solutions for that problem.
>>
>>66167152
You're a more patient man than me. Like you, I know fuck all about that plugin. He'll have to do some research himself.
>>
>tfw no cirklon bf
>>
File: bill_bailey_l.jpg (41 KB, 372x420) Image search: [Google]
bill_bailey_l.jpg
41 KB, 372x420
>ok guys here's our DIY [midi whatever] project
>NOT FOR COMMERCIAL SALE OK JUST DIY
>jeez just want to make sure
>ok so here's a shitty website with some shitty demos
>we'll bury the "buy kit" in a single hyperlink that you'll miss if you blink
>of course we don't have any on stock dummy, add your name to the waiting list and MAYBE in 3 months you'll get an aswer
>ok we don't even a correct buying form, just email me at my personal email with the stuff you want to buy and I'll send you a paypal invoice
>btw did I mention we'll only produce 50 of these kits? and they'll only be available during 3 days next year?
>missed the window? too bad for you!!! you won't be able to buy the [midi whatever] DIY kit unless some samaritan in a different blog reverses engineer the thing and does his own version
>find about our next [midi whatever DIY project] through a gearslutz hype thread

I fucking hate these cunts
>>
>>66167641
Do you by any chance mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJFfnTkyj-g
>>
>>66164320
Why do i have to take off effects? It's the effects that make 90% of my sounds
>>
https://clyp.it/coxira2j

I made this 3 days ago and haven't touched it. Is it ok?

>>66154049
I saw the number of replies and thought oh this must be at least ok.

NOPE!!!

>>66155683
i don't get it
use Ableton and I get to fuck Bjork, use Logic and I get to criticize hypercapitalism and accelerationism?

>>66163426
kill it. I'm being completely honest: this is dog shit.

>>66165265
Congratulations.
>>
>>66162758
Yea I like massive a lot. It's cool once you get the hang of it
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 219x219) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22 KB, 219x219
How come I can never get my sound design to sound like the shit in tutorials. I try with massive tutorials but it just doesn't sound right. Advice?
>>
Hey /prod/ I didnt see a pastebin in the OP and I was wondering which DAW you would recommend for someone who has no prior experience with music production and no access to any live instruments or hardware?

I currently have FL Studio but I don't really know where to start or what to look for in tutorials so I am kind of just stuck at the moment
>>
I downloaded sylenth1, V-station and I'll download massive/absynth tomorrow. The synth department is fine as you can see but what is the best drum vst for electronic drums? I downloaded image-line groove machine but I cant open it in the drum editor and map out the beats I've made. Are there any electronic drum vsts they let you map them out in your DAW?

I keep hearing that professionals use audio samples for drums in their songs. Do you know which are the best sample libraries for electronic drums?
>>
>>66169432
I pull from songs I like or from samples I buy or find. It really depends on your genre though. For instance, rap beats tend to take a majority of their drums from 808 or old disco / rnb samples.
>>
File: blackcat.gif (46 KB, 296x296) Image search: [Google]
blackcat.gif
46 KB, 296x296
I'm >>66164428 and I worked a bit further on the clyp. Tell me what you all think. To me it sounds like the main synth is still too loud in spots and doesnt quite blend in.
https://clyp.it/zlebnteq
>house, dance
>>
>>66169432
>>66169432
Check out Best Service drums overkill for a shit load of misc. Single hits you can use to layer.

Layering drums is your path to ultimate victory. It is a skill you can't afford not to develop. You take the best parts of each drum, and marry them together to create the drum sound you want- its what your favorite producers probably do.

Maybe you use snare A for the main body. Maybe snare B you use only the tail, maybe snare C has a nice bassy quality at 200hz that you isolated using EQ. Marry them together, you have something that is unique to your song.

Some folks prefer to layer with straight up audio tracks, manual editing, envelopes. Others use samplers that give more functionality, like kontakt (or battery, or ultrabeat, or whatever the fuck)- envelopes filters, modulation per layer, and trigger the sounds by midi.

Using Kontakt for this is sort of hard mode, but It is powerful due to its great modulation, and multi-outs to the host (ex: 10 drum samples in one kontakt instrument could get 10 outs to the host, unlike other plugs where all the sounds are merged into a single stereo channel). They could each get an envelope, each get modulation, tuning controls, etc.

Like I said, Kontakt is hard mode, but a lot of other samplers can be used to a similar end. Most of them result in you triggering the individual samples w/ midi.

You can also explore synthesizing drums from scratch. There are a few specialist vst for making electro kicks, I cant think of the names (sasquatch? Kicky romero?)- but for things like snares you may also investigate FM synths like FM8. If you find yourself with one, load some snare patches and learn from them.
>>
>>66170316
I should have added, that while there are specialist plugins for synthesizing kick drums, most synthesizers are more than capable of producing simple electro kicks. The simplest form would be a sine or triangle oscillator, an envelope modulating pitch, an envelope modulating volume. A GOOD kick, is a different story. You may need to put more thought into the initial transient (tens of milliseconds). This is something that is solved by some of the kick synths. Also, other features like harmonic distortion to add some character.
>>
Hey guys,i'm having a gear crisis over there. I was wondering.. Does it matter what kind of equipment youre using to make a specific type of music?
>>
>>66167304
>>66147578
>tfw no PS-3300 trap gf
>>
>>66170666
Nope. Banging on pans and chanting will cover everything you could possibly need.
>>
>>66169432

Watch this and u will learn to layer drums, it's a big timesaver to see someone do it, rather than read someone's advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bpORfpMbs
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.