[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I somehow completely missed this when it happened. Did they seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: c79cf2e9.jpg (473 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
c79cf2e9.jpg
473 KB, 1200x1200
I somehow completely missed this when it happened. Did they seriously change their name because a bunch of butthurt diaspora were pretending to be offended about a war nobody in Vietnam actually cares about?

No wonder kids gravitate to hip-hop now, even fairly abrasive rock bands are full of castrated girly men while rappers are the only young musicians to actually present something dangerous or subversive.
>>
>>66127009
no they changed their name because neets like you never buy music.
>>
>>66127009
they changed it because they felt it would offend people
>>66127032
jesus don't kill the man
>>
>>66127038
who the fuck listens to post-punk that has their feelings by about the name of the opposing side in a war that happened half a century ago being used by a band? I'm Polish-American and I'm pretty fucking sure I would not give a solitary shit if some underground band named themselves the KGB to be edgy.
>>
>>66127009
>a war nobody in Vietnam actually cares about

THIS. The upset wasn't about vietnamese americans, it was about preserving the feelings of the americans that don't want to be reminded of their embarrassing defeat
>>
>>66127009
I deleted them from my library because of this. I don't give a fuck if an artist has different views from me but if you're going to make tough guy music then there's a line. Caving into a bunch of internet """activists""" feigning offense at the name of your band because of "cultural appropriation" is over that line.

For fuck's sake, most of the original punks in 70s England were raving loony leftists and walked around town wearing swastika shirts.
>>
>>66127064
i guess viet cong thought they'd make it big within the following years, so they changed it so they might not get flack later on from overly-sensitive people? idk
i don't give a shit about what a band does as long as they don't try to push an agenda in their music, lyrically or musically, but for some, just having a name that could be seen as "offensive" is enough to deter them from listening to a band's music.
>>
File: VIETCONG_DavidWaldman_2.jpg (561 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
VIETCONG_DavidWaldman_2.jpg
561 KB, 2048x1365
Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I expected them to look like.
>>
>>66127064
>>66127166
>>66127178
no they changed because venues stopped booking them for shows. right now bands only make money from touring since u fags never buy music.
they had to change their name or else
>>
>>66127182
>making fun of their appearances
pretty mean of you
>>
>>66127178
>it's okay because they were trying to sell out
>>
>>66127201
i didn't say anything resembling an opinion on selling out, i was just stating their reasons i thought for why they did the name change
>>66127193
really? that sucks for them
also i'm pretty sure every musician makes most of their money via touring, probably even earlier than the internet age because of labels wanting that $$$
>>
>>66127193
>subverting your artistic message to make money is okay
>musicians have a right to do anything possible to make more money off of their product and you must respect them for it
I don't expect every underground band to live in their cars eating McDonalds every night but they shouldn't be surprised that people don't take them seriously as artists anymore if they choose money over going against the grain.
>>
>>66127109
but it was vietnamese americans who were getting butthurt over it
>>
>>66127226
yes first they got hate mail
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/23/viet-cong-post-punk
but after awhile vietnamese americans/canadians started telling the venue owners if viet cong was the bill nobody would come

>>66127239
are you rich or trailer trash?
Not everybody wants to die living on the streets wasting their musical talents over a name that boxed them out.
>>
This thread is full of retards.
They had to change their name, not because they were scared of people getting offended, but because venues refused to let them play because of their name

Fucking /mu/ mouthbreathers.
>>
>>66127109
I thought this board would be safe from Canadian shitposting
How wrong I was
>>
>>66127182
The blonde guy nailed the post punk look, its like he was born to play this kind of music
>>
>>66127283
Neither, but if you are playing abrasive post-punk you should be prepared to have a day job if you don't want to be homeless. You're not entitled to make money off of music or any art. If they choose to go that path because they feel they are entitled to be paid rather than maintain their integrity all of the power to them, but I don't have to take them seriously as artists.
>>
>>66127286

Same difference.
>>
>>66127286
You say this like it's an excuse? You think they were the first alternative band to face issues like this? Do you think Black Flag switched to smooth jazz in order to get venues to book them when they were blacklisted for violence at shows?
>>
>>66127412
The thing about Black Flag is that they were part of a growing scene. It didn't matter if they got banned from venues due to violence, because they'd have places to play regardless thanks to venues that formed part of this scene. Viet Cong on the other hand, are really just depending on the indie audience and there's no real "post-punk revival" scene they could fall back to.
>>
>>66127009
Classic SJW trash band similar to AJJ.

Avoid it like plague.

Besides, they only got popular because one of their members died, death is the worst meme.
>>
>>66127182
I want to fuck the blonde tbqh

>>66127696
When you're right, you're right
>>
>>66127193
>since u fags never buy music

I actually do buy music, I admit not all but some that I feel are truly worth it however one thing is certain Viet Cong ain't getting my support no more.
>>
>>66127009
NO you dinguses, they didnt change their name because people got butthurt, they changed their name because venues were cancelling their concerts. They live ofplaying live music, either they changed their name or venues wouldnt book them and they would have to stop making music
>>
I think it's easy to call them pussies for doing this, but I think if you had to live with what they had to put up with, and all over a name you didn't even care about that much, then I think a lot more of us would have done it than would admit it. I mean, they had to put up with show cancellations (a lot of which were last minute, so they might well have already booked to stay at or even gotten to the place they were going to play before being told "sorry, no, you're not getting paid"), quite large protests outside their gigs, hate mail (which once or twice could be shrugged off, but they say they got it after every gig. That's not something you can take lightly), repeated questioning about it by the music press instead of about their music, and let's be honest; a lot of review sites wouldn't have rated their second album objectively purely because their name is "so offensive." Don't get me wrong. I hate the illeberal shits that have caused the band such grief over just a name, but I think if I was going through that, and all I had to do was change a name that I didn't even care that much about to begin with, I think I would do it. On top of which, the name was becoming a bigger thing than their music was. I'm sure more people had an opinion on their name than on the music they made, and I think that if they felt they needed to get rid of the name so people took their music more seriously, then I don't begrudge them for it.
>>
>>66127009

This t b h, how you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?
>>
I would like to see you faggotrons on their situation. They're not exactly the most well off of artists, and they live for playing in front of people, their name was probably the least important part of all this equation. No more income and audience from being able to play due to venues cancelling them, and the solution is simple.
>>
They changed their name because they're Canadians (genetically predisposed to be nice guys).
>>
>>66127696
except that women were actually great band with 2 pretty decent albums.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.