[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to dislike this man?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 532x799) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 532x799
Is it possible to dislike this man?
>>
>>66121384

>image.jpg

idk but disliking phoneposters is easy as fuck
>>
>>66121384
Overrated as fuck desu
>>
yeah, but you have to have shit taste
>>
>>66121475
>>
>>66121384
if you focus on who he is now instead of who he was in his prime it's the easiest fucking thing in the world

america's answer to fucking u2
>>
File: boy.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
boy.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>66121548
>america's answer to fucking u2
>>
>>66121384
>liberal faggot

it's not that hard t b h
>>
>>66121384
I know my mom hates him.
Not sure if she associates him with a bad memory or doesnt like his style of singing.

She doesn't like Heart either though.
>>
>>66121384
My dad doesn't like him too much. Only because Dancing in the Dark and Born in the USA had constant radio play when he was in high school.
The boss was for poptimists in the mid 80's.
He has grown to like his pre Born in the USA stuff though.
>>
>>66121778
this reminds me of the whole Phil Collins dichotomy, where people either hated or liked him, with no in between because the sheer exposure he had

i think there was a thread a while ago where younger people (/mu/ demo) didn't get it because of Genesis and stuff, but just a fact of the time
>>
>>66121384
I can't stand him. The simple fact that I have had people argue with me that "Jersey Girl" is a Springsteen song is enough.

I also hate his political views.

But really, I just don't like his music. "Born in the USA" came out when I was a kid, and I thought it was such a fucking joke. I couldn't understand when I got older how people idolized this man.

If /mu/ can recommend me something of his that is good, I will gladly give it a try.

I like Tool, Tom Waits, The Velvet Underground, Prince, King Crimson, GG Allin, Bjork....and the first CD's I ever bought were all classical, it was all I listened to for years, if that helps with recommendations.
>>
I wouldn't trust anyone who does
>>
>>66122380
>I like Tool
>>
>>66121475
>>
File: Tool-Undertow.jpg (11 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
Tool-Undertow.jpg
11 KB, 329x329
>>66122472
This is precisely the reason I do not come to /mu/. I came here many years ago, and when I discovered all of the hate for Tool here, it showed me that not only were you all fags for sharing the same opinion, but it also showed me that you were the absolute worst kind of critic.

Hating the fans of something is not a reason to hate that thing. /tv/ has a lot of people who try and do this exact same thing to Stanley Kubrick, because so many of his fans think that they have superior taste because they like his movies. Well, Kubrick is still one of the top 5 greatest film makers of all time, even if his work is accessible, and accessed by psuedo intellectual idiots.

The same goes for Tool. They may not be one of the top 5 greatest bands of all time, but they are objectively great and very influential and ahead of their time.

I saw a prog metal list the first time I ever came here, and it had Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime", and album that I literally laughed at the first time i heard it. It's a fucking joke. To have that on the list, but not have "Undertow", one of THE most influential albums of the 90's is intellectually dishonest.

I understand the meme that Tool fans think they are making some kind of great spiritual and philosophical discoveries when they listen to Tool, and I understand that is annoying. But 99% of the time, those type of fans are people who started with Lateralus or 10,000 days.

Their first three albums were visceral and raw emotionally. They were very real and showed vulnerability. The later albums just developed upon those themes and became more mature, introspective, thoughtful, elaborate and yes, spiritual. But that is a progression almost every artist makes.

Just because stoners are able to connect with the music and feel that they really get inspiration from it is not a reason to discredit their music. I for one, can't stand Maynard as a person.

But Danny Carey is a GOAT drummer.
>>
>>66122802
Nice meltdown
>>
>>66122802
Undertow is the only passable post-grunge album in existence, and Lateralus is an easy 7.5/10. Tool is alright. Not really looking forward to LP5 though, it won't live up to the hype.
>>
>>66122989
I think you mean break down.

I offered evidence and made an argument. That is not a melt down.

You, on the other hand, can not do the same, because you have probably never listened to them, because they aren't on /mu/'s recommended list, and you can't think for yourself.
>>
File: 0a1.jpg (78 KB, 643x820) Image search: [Google]
0a1.jpg
78 KB, 643x820
>>66122802
lmao he literally meme arrowed one sentence fragment and you go into a reddit tier diatribe
>>
>>66122802

>emotional wall of text over a literal three word greentext to you

Stop any time.
>>
>>66123047
Because, it has always annoyed me that I can't come to /mu/, because music is my life. It is literally my favorite thing in the world. But Tool is my favorite band, and it sucks that I can't discuss them here.

>>66123071
There was literally zero emotion in that. I am sure you didn't read it, as you haven't listened to Tool. I just offered facts and evidence.

I love how writing a well thought out post over 140 characters is considered "losing it". I am guessing the average age of this board is around 16.
>>
File: whoooo.gif (600 KB, 160x195) Image search: [Google]
whoooo.gif
600 KB, 160x195
>>66122380
>>
File: 1448461214397.gif (760 KB, 182x182) Image search: [Google]
1448461214397.gif
760 KB, 182x182
>>66122802
holy shit this can't be real
>>
File: 4to5fpeat.jpg (10 KB, 399x213) Image search: [Google]
4to5fpeat.jpg
10 KB, 399x213
>>66122802
>>
>>66123119
>can't come to mu because they don't like tool

Pffft, try harder. If I can get a fucking thread about feminist punk off the ground (albeit it was difficult with all of the edge around here) you can get a stupid thread about tool going. There must be some tool fans here, a lot of mu has questionable tastes.
>>
>>66122380
Most of it is good.
>>
>>66123135
Yes, it's real. I absolutely hate this board. I have seen threads screencapped and posted on other boards praising Taylor Swift, and the very next thread saying every Zeppelin album sucks.

You people unironically listen to Kanye west.
>>
>>66123167
I have tried. Only 3 or 4 times, though.

But again, I was only met with responses like the ones in this thread, like nothing but reaction images or saying that I am mad because I wrote a long post.
>>
>>66122802
Only Opiate and Undertow were any good. The rest were pseudo-intellectual wankery and you're a faggot if you think otherwise.

>inb4 "but muh Bill Hicks references"
>>
File: 1465523636230.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1465523636230.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
>>66122802
>Their first three albums were visceral and raw emotionally. They were very real and showed vulnerability. The later albums just developed upon those themes and became more mature, introspective, thoughtful, elaborate and yes, spiritual. But that is a progression almost every artist makes.

god i wish it were real tbqh
>>
>>66123194
wow dude. it's no wonder you hate /mu/

why don't you stay in /r/music where you belong?
>>
>>66123262
Well, that's just not true.

But I agree that Opiate and Undertow are their best. But Aenima was very, very good.

And you see, you just did it again, the same fucking shit, man.

>inb4 "but muh Bill Hicks references"

Yeah, I get, you people are all so edgy and cool because you hate Bill Hicks and George Carlin....

But let me explain something to you. Back then, in 1992, the shit they were saying was very cutting edge and ahead of it's time. Sure, nowadays, everyone on reddit talks like that and makes those kind of jokes, but back then, we had Jerry Seinfeld and fucking Jay Leno doing stand-up. Hicks and Carlin were thought provoking and provocative.

And so was Tool. Tool introduced a lot of people to concepts they wouldn't have otherwise found. They introduced me to Jung and Hicks. This was pre-internet.

There was no pseudo-intellectual wankery on Aenima, unless you count 46 + 2, which is still a very visceral song. Or Third Eye, but again, that is about a spiritual experience.

As for Lateralus, still, I think only the song Lateralus falls into that category, and Keenan himself seems almost embarrassed by its use of the Fibonacci sequence, but I still think it was a cool concept.

I will agree that 10,000 Days started to go off the rails a bit.

But I always hear this argument that all of their music is pseudo-intellectual crap....I assume, first off, that you are referring to the lyrics, so show me. Show me the majority of their songs that fall into this category.
>>
>>66123046
No. That's a meltdown if I ever saw one
>>
>>66123307
I am being completely honest

>>66123351
>le reddit meme

Again, I hate you people.
>>
>>66123441
Yeah, your right. I'm sitting here eating cake with my old lady, and just melting down dude. I'm an emotional wreck. You got me. She's actually calling an ambulance now.
>>
>>66121548
U2 wasn't bad at all, people only get butt hurt over Bono being a cunt. I doubt get why Morrissey gets (more of) a pass for that.
>>
>>66123516
>I'm sitting here eating cake with my old lady
>>
>>66123561
>I'm using meme arrows so that means I am right and you are invalidated
>>
>>66122380
>political views
Am I missing something about his views? From my understanding, I thought he was a fairly generic US-style liberal. A bit of a bent towards the blue collar workers and such, but somewhere in between the more center democrats and the progressive wing.

Speaking of which, I remember I had to unfollow R.E.M, Moby, and particularly Massive Attack. They would post on social media non stop about shit to where it just got obnoxious.
>>
>>66123663
He's gotten far more progressive in recent years.
>>
>>66123661
>I am right
>>
Oh you children.

>>66122380
Give Born to Run a try. It's great.
>>
>>66123881
Seriously? I don't mean that sarcastically either.

>>66123866
Aaaaaand...I'm done. Again, no one has provided a single counter argument or provided any of the evidence I asked for. And honestly, I don't even know what the fuck you are implying...that I am lying about eating cake with my best girl?
>>
As someone from New Jersey, it's pretty easy to hate how fanatical people can get about him.

As a white loser from Jersey, I can relate to his earlier music too much to hate it. My successful friends generally don't like him.
>>
>>66123765
Was he pretty different in the past? I mean, Born in the USA seemed to take a leftist stance for the time, plus wasn't he pissed at Reagan for using it in his campaign? Prior to that I don't at least remember any overt political songs.

Although maybe that's what the poster disagreed with. I assumed he was implying that Bruce was either Clint Eastwood style conservative or Sean Penn douchey liberal.
>>
>>66123918
Listen to Nebraska then you fuckwit

It's unlike any of his other shit
>>
>>66123918
>best girl
>>
>>66122380
Listen to Nebraska road, only Springsteen album I like but it really is fucking stellar. That American Singer-songwriter Melancholy hits hard.
>>
>>66123918
Yeah it's good shit. Or Darkness on The Edge of Town or (my favorite) Nebraska
>>
>>66123998
Dude, I said I wasn't being sarcastic. You don't have to be rude. I don't come here and I didn't know if you were memeing because that is a pretty popular album of his. I expecting something more esoteric.

>>66124063
Okay, thanks.
>>
>>66121428
>i have no problem with a serial number image name, but I have a problem with image.jpg
I have no words for you, you're just too stupid.
>>
>>66124118
Born to Run and Nebraska are his two best albums, but Nebraska is different because instead of being a huge, lavish recording, it's literally Bruce's home demos. It's a folk album
>>
>>66122802
I've never listened to Tool but I'm on your side with the shit about /mu/. Everyone shits on your opinion.
>>
>>66124235
It's also his best folk album.
Ghost of Tom Joad is just meh.
The Seeger Sessions is good, but just good. Nothing really different about his arrangements of those old songs. Besides his voice doing them justice.
>>
>>66124118
>esoteric
>>
>>66123918
Yeah, honestly a really great album. Start to finish.
>>
>>66121384
yes

he fucking sucks. i don't know how anyone can like his trash """""music"""""

t. biggest rockist on /mu/
>>
>>66123505
It's very easy to just just gtfo you know. But, as you are a Tool fan, I suppose you are doomed to stay here and write essays with "reeeal arguments" about what is "objectively great".
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.