[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Listen to Genesis, but only Peter Gabriel era, they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
>"Listen to Genesis, but only Peter Gabriel era, they got shit after he left"
>give pic related a shot
>it's actually pretty fucking great

Why do prog fans lie like that?
>>
>>66111161
The whole "Genesis was only good with Peter Gabriel" meme really just lets you see the plebs amongst us.

Collins is a better singer than Gabriel anyway. And up until the 83 s/t made some great music.
A Trick of the Tail is a great album.
>>
>>66111161
Listen to Wind and Wuthering through Duke, all of those are great albums

Also Second's Out is a fantastic live album with Phil singing
>>
>>66111233
To be honest I thought Phil Collins sounded so similar to Peter Gabriel on this album that I would probably think it's still Gabriel if nobody told me.
>>
>>66111233
Gabriel's solo albums put me to sleep. You might as well just listen to David Bowie.
>>
and Solsbury Hill is better than anything Genesis or Collins ever wrote so it all worked out for both parties.
>>
>>66111331
>Gabriel fans are this delusional

If you were talking about Signal to Noise I would maybe agree that it's better than a lot of stuff Genesis and Collins wrote, but Solsbury Hill is literally the type of simple pop song prog fans condemned Genesis for making.

It's okay when Gabriel does it, apparently.
>>
>>66111413
but Genesis was barely a 6.9/10 band to begin with. tf you projecting for?
>>
File: Genesis_-_Seconds_Out.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Genesis_-_Seconds_Out.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>66111303
True. They do sound similar but I give the edge to Collins based on this album. Fucking amazing live album.

Firth of Fifth
https://youtu.be/vJJP-MfI9ls
>>
>>66111659
Collins has better control (or at least utilizes better control) over his pitch but Gabriel has better timbral range and lyrically is in another league
>>
Well, I'm listening to Wind & Wuthering now and the opening track was pretty good, it kinda reminded me of Watcher of the Skies at some parts.
>>
You'd think it would be easy to write prog lyrics, but Genesis without Peter was absolutely incapable of writing lyrics for prog songs that aren't absolutely shit. Say what you will about pop Genesis/Phil solo, but at least the lyrics worked.
>>
>>66112169
It's not like the Gabriel era songs didn't have some stupid lyrics as well.

"The mountain cuts off the town from view
Like a cancer growth is removed by skill"

Literally what
>>
>>66112415
You can't take Gabriel's lyrics out of context like that
>>
>>66111694
>>66112169
>>66112415
>>66112628
>caring about lyrics in prog
>>
>>66112628
I don't think that makes much sense even in context. Firth of Fifth is a fucking beautiful track and definitely one of Genesis' masterpieces, but the lyrics always went nowhere to me, it feels like it's just depicting a bunch of imagery for the sake of doing so.
>>
>>66112727
>it feels like it's just depicting a bunch of imagery for the sake of doing so

Welcome to prog lyrics
>>
>>66112102
>DADDY
>>
>>66112415
The lyrics for Firth of Fifth were actually written by Tony Banks
>>
Finished Wind & Wuthering and I thought it was even better than A Trick of the Tail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2kRc2aHTnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeZRdd_1b4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDC6wj9bCFw

These tracks were seriously GOAT, so far this is my third favorite Genesis album behind Selling England by the Pound and Foxtrot.
>>
>>66113765
W&W is fantastic and underrated, glad you liked it.

Don't be scared of And Then There Were Three, it's still a very solid album and has a similar wintery, nostalgic atmosphere to W&W
>>
>>66113859
Yeah, I'm actually surprised I enjoyed it so much considering I've been avoiding Genesis albums after The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway for quite a bit of time because of what I've been told.

I'll listen to And Then There Were Three as soon as I can.
>>
>>66111161
plenty of people will tell you this album is the only one that counts past gabriel and that after this the "1.5" phase is mostly a snoozefest until collins commandeers the ship into a decent pop band

blame tony banks, man
>>
>>66112727
I get that but you're wrong :\
>>
>>66112415
The lyrics on Dancing With the Moonlit Knight and The Cinema Show were literally not matched by any prog band.
>>
File: Duke.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Duke.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
easily the best
>>
>>66115932
>easily
no
>the best
probably
>>
>>66111161
A Trick Of The Tail is easily Genesis' best albums.
>>
>>66115932
Dook is right.
>>
>>66111161
>Genesis
>being good during any era of the band
>not soulless overly complex drivel before becoming a shitty pop band
prog fans are embarrassing in general
>>
>>66115932
you could actually make this argument, and I hate what Phil Collins did to Genesis, but this shit right here fucking slaps. hard.
>>
File: 51ttSJAP-RL.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51ttSJAP-RL.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Alright, I'll admit that this one is significantly weaker than the previous two. The tracks up until Deep in the Motherlode were good despite not being as pompous as what they did before, but then I thought the album got a little bland after that. The only exception is The Lady Lies, I really liked that one and it's probably my pick for best song.

It's strange that the closing track of this album sounds nothing like the other ones, kinda broke the atmosphere for me. But still, it's not a bad album tbqh, the first half is good and The Lady Lies mostly makes up for the bland second half.
>>
>>66116081
Go to bed, Christgau.
>>
>>66116189
if anyone ever tells him arcade fire are prog he might finally fucking die
>>
>>66116140
>what collins did to genesis

it was banks that wrote most of their "pop" material, collins just became the singer, nothing much else
>>
>>66116081
Meme response but Genesis were probably the most proficient prog band at avoiding those follies. Though I won't speak for their pop era. I don't like it.
>>
>>66116148
Undertow is the best track
>>
>>66116148
On to Duke senpai
I will warn you it's much poppier than the preceding ones but you have to look at it in a different light
>>
>>66116081
What exactly do you consider to be good pop, nigga?
>>
File: 1455054307079.jpg (38 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1455054307079.jpg
38 KB, 560x560
>>66116081
You poor fuck.
>>
>>66116148
Remember this is after Hackett left the band... and where they really changed.
>>
>>66112718
>not caring about lyrics in prog
It's like you don't even want to explore meaningful thought while you explore fantastic music.
>>
>>66116502
I suppose being poppier is the logical followup, but Duke is the album that's not too artsy and intellectual according to the Bateman meme, so I imagine it's different from the previous albums.

>>66116565
It does feel like something is missing, although Mike Rutherford's guitar work was decent enough to me. That solo on Burning Rope was probably his best guitar moment.
>>
>>66116776
FYI the first side of Duke was originally going to be a suite but Banks thought it would be overshadowed by Supper's Ready
>>
>>66116954
Fucking Banks, did he do literally anything right?
>>
>>66116977
The intro to Watcher of the Skies
>>
>>66116954
That wouldn't have made sense. Only the first two tracks would have worked as a single track.
>>
>>66117302
The first three actually, Duchess segues onto Guide Vocal
>>
>>66117365
True, I realized that after posting.
>>
File: 0094639164622.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0094639164622.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
Well, Duke was definitely a major improvement over the previous album, I felt it was a lot more focused and consistent in comparison. People may hate that it sounds poppier, but to be frank I thought it was a breath of fresh air, some of their music was starting to get samey and hearing a more radio-freindly version of their prog sound in the first three and last two tracks was pleasant.

That being said, I liked the first half better than the second, but it wasn't a huge decline from one half to another like And Then There Were Three. I didn't particularly care for Alone Tonight and Cul-de-Sac, but everything else was fantastic, especially Duchess, Duke's Travels, Turn It On Again and Man of Our Times.

I'd rank Duke above A Trick of the Tail, but below Wind & Wuthering.
>>
>>66117957
I like hearing these writeups for some reason, it reminds me of listening to them for the first time

If you want to go further, remember that Abacab IMO still has some good stuff but it's overtaken by some really poppy and sometimes goofy tracks. I think you would really enjoy 3 Sides Live as well, some great live renditions of classics as well as Duke tracks, and even the Abacab tracks are much better live.
>>
I enjoy both eras. Even the pop shit.
>>
>tfw ywn see gud Genesis
:'((((
I would even see them if they reunited as a trio desu
At least to hear the couple of good tracks they would play
>>
Late night bump because this was a good thread
>>
I like Peter Gabriel solo better than both eras of Genesis desu but I completely disagree with people who think Genesis was only good when he was in the band.
>>
>>66122094
Yeah, I mean, I've always enjoyed Land of Confusion, but after hearing about how enjoyable the albums between The Lamb and Duke are I might have to give them a listen.
>>
Since this is a Genesis/Collins/Gabriel thread, I want to say that I saw Gabriel play with Sting and it was pretty good. The Gabriel parts were the reason I went and he's still got his voice.
I was thinking, why hasn't he done an album with Eno? Especially since they are friends.
Also, Sting did the opening section to Dancing With The Moonlight Knight and I thought it was going to lead somewhere.
Here's what Gabriel opened the show with. Nice, dark, and brooding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALJARgzHcLg
>>
>>66122304
>I was thinking, why hasn't he done an album with Eno?

That also bugged me, the only Eno/Gabriel collaboration was The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging from The Lamb and that's one of the most original songs from that album.
>>
>>66122406
He also appeared on Love To Be Loved from Us.
>>
>>66122304
i only just found out gabriel released a new song two weeks ago because it was about ali
>>
>>66113154
>OH DADDY
>>
>>66122779
>YOU PROMISED
>>
>>66122820
should we keep going or no
>>
File: mac demarco.jpg (38 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
mac demarco.jpg
38 KB, 500x400
>yfw Phil Collins was the original hipster
>>
File: 1392419932882.jpg (41 KB, 500x286) Image search: [Google]
1392419932882.jpg
41 KB, 500x286
>>66123125
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.